Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The Great Bene Gesserit Bake Off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
stilgar, do we have soggy bottom

usul, we have soggy bottom the likes of which even God has never seen

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This week is spice week and Baron Harkonnen is cooking a special surprise for Leto to impress the landsraad

Next week: it's also spice week and Leto II has an incredible sand trout show stopper

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

indigi posted:

I had the same problem with it, how’s this read going

I get a little further every night and just got to some stuff that got my wheels turnin about like “ooooh what’s that mean I wonder” so I’d say at page 100 or so I hit my stride where I want to keep going.

I also have a <1 year old baby that makes finding time to read difficult. by the time I sit down to read before bed I fall asleep after a few pages

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 30, 2020

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
reminder that if u havent watched it yet, The Vast of Night is super good and appropriately spoopy for halloween

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
saw the new Mandalorian and man it had callbacks for fans to go nuts over: Boba Fett's armor! with firing missile! Anakin's pod racer! krayt dragon! and it sounds like Obi-Wan did! and then Boba Fett too i guess.

it wasn't incredible but it was fun.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah maybe tone back some of the callbacks, but the boba fett armor but actually its timothy olyphant was good. if the guy at the end is bobba fett its gonna be dumb. i dont care at all about him and i hope his character canonically dies off screen

when the krayt dragon died i was like ok now loot its corpse for a pearl cause that gives u big attack and damage bonuses and then oh of course thats what they do cause the fan service can never stop.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i thought it was cool that the mandalorioan could talk tusken

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
“Mando” -Apollo Creed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lady snowblood and lady snowblood: love song of vengeance are both on hbo max now but you should probably only watch the first one

like 15% of kill bill vol 1 was lifted directly from it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

reminder that if u havent watched it yet, The Vast of Night is super good and appropriately spoopy for halloween

just watched it. very good imo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

haveblue posted:

"ce qui est dans la boîte?"

"pain"

I guess we don't have to ask if it's larger or smaller than a breadbox at least?

:shrug:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Shaggar posted:

yeah maybe tone back some of the callbacks, but the boba fett armor but actually its timothy olyphant was good.
well poo poo i might actually watch it now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/darthfuckboy/status/1322093132226416640?s=21

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Didn't he have a stroke or some poo poo? IIRC it hosed-up filming for Psych?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

yeah it was great except for the fake tv bullshit

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the billy guy calling in to the radio station with his story really drew me in

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i think boba fett is canonically australian, so you should be safe against that particular twist ending unless he starts looking into buying a condo or two at the beach

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
i finished with The Boys, which was pretty good overall. it was a bit shaky about halfway through the second season but it picked up and it felt like they deliberately decided to make Butcher more likable which was good because he'd been really annoying. it was pretty cool when they beat the poo poo out of Stormfront. It sort of ended with the status quo being restored so i'm not sure what they'll do in the next season.

rjmccall posted:

i think boba fett is canonically australian, so you should be safe against that particular twist ending unless he starts looking into buying a condo or two at the beach

the actor's in his late fifties but the character should be early forties if he was a kid in the prequels. clone degeneration i guess.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 1, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
other fan service things i noticed in mandalorian:
- sand people on their banthas always moved in single file
- we found out why gaffi sticks have that little prong at the end (theyre toothpicks for banthas)
- another drat camtono
- if you hit boba fetts jetpack on the side just right he goes cartwheeling uncontrollably into the air (just like in return of the jedi)

making a spaghetti western / samurai tv show in the star wars universe continues to be a good idea

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

mandalorian when timothy comes in and puts the helmet on the table and it has the little antenna and the dent in the side i was like "oooohhh"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

FMguru posted:

making a spaghetti western / samurai tv show in the star wars universe continues to be a good idea
not to be a big wet blanket on disney+ but you should watch the many spaghetti western/samurai shows (first/too)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

This week is spice week and Baron Harkonnen is cooking a special surprise for Leto to impress the landsraad

Next week: it's also spice week and Leto II has an incredible sand trout show stopper

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

i still haven’t watched the deadwood movie and i have a month left of hbo on my sub. i know what i’m doing besides blasting through sopranos

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

do a post when you finish it with your thoughts, i have a lot of opinions but dont want to spoil anything

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Beamed posted:

do a post when you finish it with your thoughts, i have a lot of opinions but dont want to spoil anything
👍

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Beamed posted:

my thoughts were that coming directly from my first watch of the show it was not that great but it wraps some things up

i just wanted another season :argh:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when I was a kid I loved The Witches. on Halloween night I watched the remake, and then I watched the original back to back. all the things in the remake where I was like "that's kinda dumb, I don't remember that" were actually in the original, too and I'd just forgotten.

the remake was generally better. it didn't have great rotten tomatoes reviews and I have to chalk that up to people being pissed that the protagonists are black. it was good.

I'm glad that little jones declined to watch it with me, though. it probably would've scared the heck out of him.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

when I was a kid I loved The Witches. on Halloween night I watched the remake, and then I watched the original back to back. all the things in the remake where I was like "that's kinda dumb, I don't remember that" were actually in the original, too and I'd just forgotten.

the remake was generally better. it didn't have great rotten tomatoes reviews and I have to chalk that up to people being pissed that the protagonists are black. it was good.

I'm glad that little jones declined to watch it with me, though. it probably would've scared the heck out of him.
i remember reading the book as a kid and finding the mouse transformation thing very disturbing as it was described as being excruciatingly painful

never seen any of the movies tbqh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
roald dahl was traumatized and hosed up during ww2 and so are his books

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

haveblue posted:

roald dahl was traumatized and hosed up during ww2 and so are his books
:hmmyes:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think I had an audio book version of The Witches and that was pretty good. I think it also kept the kind of bleak ending from the book where he stays as a mouse so has a like 5 year life span but doesn't mind because the he'll die when his grandmother does.

Edit: lmao they kept the original ending in the new film and now people are losing their minds

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol yeah it sort of surprised me but on the other hand it's a roald "children must suffer" dahl book so I was expecting some darkness if they stuck with the book. it beat the original movie's ending, too

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm about halfwya through season 3 and the best characters are the borg and deanna troi's mom

trois mom is definitely the best character. she’s the most horny and therefore the most star trek of all of them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

trois mom is definitely the best character. she’s the most horny and therefore the most star trek of all of them.
it's always hilarious to me that one of the arch villains of the whole franchise is a horny cougar

starfleet's so drat square, everyone's all in ten forward listening to chamber music for fun

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I've always sort of assumed it but only recently realized I may be incorrect in this: We're supposed to look at Kirk reprogramming the Kobayashi Maru thing with something between "disgust" and "pity" because it shows he's morally an literal childe, right?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i don't think we're supposed to look at that at all op

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SmokaDustbowl posted:

don't bother with space truckers

space truckers is good for the square pig joke and that’s mostly it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

qirex posted:

it's always hilarious to me that one of the arch villains of the whole franchise is a horny cougar

starfleet's so drat square, everyone's all in ten forward listening to chamber music for fun

starfleet can not handle “chaotic horny”