Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Clancy was good at telling a tense, detailed mil-wank thriller yarn (The Sum of All Fears was a genuine nail-biter - coincidentally, his last "good" novel as its events pulled Clancyworld irreversibly away from the real one) and terrible at anything involving politics, because he could not stop jamming his proto-chud treatises on how America and the world should be run if not for those goddamn cowardly liberals and atheists and Muslims and environmentalists and tiny-penised sumbitch Chinese commies ruining everything for true hot-blooded American manly male men. Unfortunately, his later novels became all about the politics. The Bear and the Dragon (which is laughably, MST3K-worthy bad in every way) stops for literally pages so millionaire author Tom Clancy President Jack Ryan can expound on the benefits to millionaires of a flat tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

Has any right wing author taken up the mantle of Clancy’s particular brand of military wank?

It seems like the current right wing zeitgeist would be ripe for it, but I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to modern airport fiction.

Neal Stephenson

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Has any right wing author taken up the mantle of Clancy’s particular brand of military wank?

It seems like the current right wing zeitgeist would be ripe for it, but I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to modern airport fiction.

In addition to what other folks posted, Clancy's own brand took up the mantle.

He stopped writing over a decade before he died, all of his books from then on instead of being TOM CLANCY'S SUCH AND SUCH, became TOM CLANCY SUCH AND SUCH by John Smith. Because of this there was a steady stream of "his" stuff coming out and even his death didn't interrupt it at all. The most recent "TOM CLANCY" book came out is TOM CLANCY FIRING POINT: A JACK RYAN JR.* NOVEL by Mike Maden. It came out in April 2020.

And then there's also the other ones where Jack Ryan/his son exists but isn't the main character where all the real crazy poo poo with like the North Korean headed evil cabal of NK+Russia+Iran conquer Alaska with gravity weapons or whatever the gently caress.

*Sometimes these are published as TOM CLANCY [TITLE] JACK RYAN UNIVERSE BOOK#25 or whatever.

So others have taken up the mantle as living authors of this stuff, but the shroud of Tom Clancy will envelop them all forever.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 30, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The best thing Tom Clancy ever made was the DVD Commentary for Sum of All Fears where he spends the entire time picking apart every inaccuracy and change to the book right in front of the director:

https://youtu.be/Iwtg0T-jMF0

https://youtu.be/MrLIpxh_mbA

https://youtu.be/gadJ10w1sp4

https://youtu.be/QKLxmkSbSOk

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Cold War stuff is legit good spy/milwank.

It helps that it’s all low-key stuff like “a sub captain is trying to defect” or “we need to get a compromised agent out of Moscow” until Sum’s crescendo (or a stand-alone WW3 novel).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

muscles like this! posted:

An issue Clancy ended up with was after years of writing these political thrillers with constantly escalating stories he ended up with a world that didn't look anything like ours. Which was a problem when he tried to integrate real world events like 9/11. Which would barely be a blip on the radar considering the US had previously been nuked and a good chunk of congress was killed in a plane related attack.

This winds up a problem in any serialized drama even remotely connected to politics, especially on television where there's strong pressure to escalate the stakes each season.

Like, House of Cards (an exceptionally bad show) went through an oil crisis, a Katrina-sized hurricane, a Watergate-esque scandal, and multiple large-scale terrorist attacks and all the characters still had to pretend that politics was chugging along as normal. Madame Secretary would have these calamitous foreign crises week after week, only to have everyone pretend nothing happened in the next episode.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 31, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
:twentyfour: has to be the pinnacle of that. The US is nuked twice, hit by biological and chemical terror attacks, has presidents and former presidents assassinated left and right, is riddled with mass-murdering traitors at the highest levels of government and commits colossal and unconstitutional human rights abuses by establishing mass concentration camps for Muslims. But at the start of every new day, the system is ticking along as usual.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Payndz posted:

:twentyfour: has to be the pinnacle of that. The US is nuked twice, hit by biological and chemical terror attacks, has presidents and former presidents assassinated left and right, is riddled with mass-murdering traitors at the highest levels of government and commits colossal and unconstitutional human rights abuses by establishing mass concentration camps for Muslims. But at the start of every new day, the system is ticking along as usual.

Yes. 24 is loving batshit insane and it's the best show ever made. What makes it so noteworthy is that it very clearly does not take place in our universe, but in a fictional universe of absurdity that exists solely to grow more and more ridiculous in order to make the main character, a murderous torturing psychopath, a heroic and sometimes even sympathetic character.

Season 1 is a solid legit thriller of a season and then Season 5 is must-watch television for just how over the top it gets, while also being hilariously entertaining and borderline slapstick in it's melodrama. Peter Weller plays a loving incredible villain, and he's not even the main one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2JnABD67a4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was kind of amazing how they were able to keep upping the insanity on 24. Jack executed a dude in police custody, then sawed off his head to intimidate a witness into telling him where THE BOMB is, and that was only the beginning of the second season!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Taintrunner posted:

Yes. 24 is loving batshit insane and it's the best show ever made. What makes it so noteworthy is that it very clearly does not take place in our universe, but in a fictional universe of absurdity that exists solely to grow more and more ridiculous in order to make the main character, a murderous torturing psychopath, a heroic and sometimes even sympathetic character.

Season 1 is a solid legit thriller of a season and then Season 5 is must-watch television for just how over the top it gets, while also being hilariously entertaining and borderline slapstick in it's melodrama. Peter Weller plays a loving incredible villain, and he's not even the main one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2JnABD67a4

This is an amazing video on 24:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

I had to pause the video when it got to the timeline of US presidents who survive to reelection.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

That was awesome

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Payndz posted:

It never got to 24 levels, but I'm reminded that the second-last season of Scandal had the wife of the president-elect hire the father of the First Lady—who herself had murdered the Vice President—to murder her husband and orchestrate a series of terrorist attacks in an elaborate ploy to win enough public sympathy to... get installed as vice president....

or something?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Byzantine posted:

The Cold War stuff is legit good spy/milwank.

It helps that it’s all low-key stuff like “a sub captain is trying to defect” or “we need to get a compromised agent out of Moscow” until Sum’s crescendo (or a stand-alone WW3 novel).

I think there's a correlation between how good Clancy was and how small the scale of the story was. He was good at small to mid scale stories with big implications. But, inevitably, thriller writers have to raise the stakes, so we end up with bloated nonsense like Executive Orders (which was the best selling book of the nineties) and Bear and The Dragon, which has a japanese american spy who's huge american cock is what makes him such a good spy in China. Literally none of that is a joke.

Cooked Auto posted:

:stonklol:

I'm so glad I've forgotten 99% of all the Clancy books I read when I was younger. And the only got I still have is Red Storm. (Which is still kinda bad consider the whole Iceland part.) ALthough I still think Team Yankee is a better book.
I'd kinda want a Team Yankee movie, or even a World in Conflict one. But that's not going to happen either way since I doubt a Cold War gone hot movie would slide these days.

He co wrote that one with Larry Bond, who was always way more interested in the military side than the political stuff. Red Phoenix, Cauldron and Vortex are all pretty good, except for some really dumb white saviour stuff in Vortex and some weird riffs about trade wars in Cauldron.

There's a shitload, but none are nearly as popular. And are much worse written.

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, I think Tom Clancy was pretty okay for specifically Cold War techno thrillers. Still problematic politics and whatnot, but I feel like he didn't go off the rails until after the Soviet Union collapsed.

Also, he was perfectly okay with a blonde white girl falling in love with a Hispanic dude (because they're both good Catholics, you see), which, uh... would not fly with the modern right-wing.

That just makes him part of the lincoln project. He'd love to be doing racist war crimes, just with more decorum.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1322284722819637248

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1322515886884966401?s=08

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No thanks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Well that's certainly something to wake up to

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Len posted:

Well that's certainly something to wake up to

not if you're Sean Connery

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did anyone try giving him a good slap to see if that helps?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Halloween everyone!

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

'poo poo, I expected him to live'

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Alternatively I have Mourn connery and Sean gonery

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did anyone try giving him a good slap to see if that helps?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The most Scottish of dragons and Russians is no longer among us.

Imagining the alternate realities where he was Gandalf and Morpheus.

What was this about?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The MSJ posted:

What was this about?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/buzzfeed-esports-ellen-page

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1322599231039918085

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The gamergate movie is extra spicy since the character shares a name with gamergaters how women gamers should behave waifu character they invented "vivian"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The MSJ posted:

The most Scottish of dragons and Russians is no longer among us.

Don't forget, famed Scottish actor Sean Connery was our most beloved Spanish highlander

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Don't forget, famed Scottish actor Sean Connery was our most beloved Spanish highlander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbvbIN0nN7A&t=36s

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 1, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Good idea, poke that hornet's nest

You'd think Beyond Two Souls taught Ellen Page to stay far away from gamers

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://twitter.com/Noontide108/status/641363706866085895?s=19

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Frenchman was the Highlander. The Scotsman was an ancient Egyptian working for the King of Spain.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

davidspackage posted:

You'd think Beyond Two Souls taught Ellen Page to stay far away from gamers
Maybe one of the antagonists is David Cage.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Maybe one of the antagonists is David Cage.

She should have Hard Candy-ed his rear end after the full anatomical game model was used in Beyond.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

davidspackage posted:

She can make movies about whatever she wants, and if gamers decide to be awful about it that’s their fault, not hers.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I just found out that GamerGate got its start on SA; or rather, the guy who started it got his dumb rear end banned for going off on an unhinged rant about his ex-girlfriend, went off to whine about it somewhere else and everything spiraled off from there.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 2, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I just found out that GamerGate got its start on SA; or rather, the guy who started it got his dumb rear end banned for going off on an unhinged rant about his ex-girlfriend, went off to whine about it somewhere else and thing spiraled off from there.

SA was his first attempt, but yeah, people here weren't having it. Rare good judgement on our part.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I still feel really bad for that one woman who basically became the Most Hated Person On the Internet for saying video games should have a story only mode.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

mycot posted:

I still feel really bad for that one woman who basically became the Most Hated Person On the Internet for saying video games should have a story only mode.

I can only assume that she received the kind of psycho abuse all women on the internet receive multiplied by the disgusting toxicity of gamers. I am sincerely sorry she would have been put through that awfulness.

Having said that;

These are called movies, idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There actually multiple games now with "story" difficulty where the combat parts are super easy.