Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

quote:

Princess Syalis is the beloved Princess of the human world's kingdom of Goodereste. Kidnapped by a demon lord, she spends her time in relative comfort in her holding cell awaiting rescue by the kingdom's Hero Akatsuki. With nothing else to do, she decides to while away her time sleeping, but her bedding is found wanting. So, she decides to take matters into her own hands to find the most restful sleep possible.

Goodnight at Demon Castle (魔王城でおやすみ) a.k.a. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle is a comedy written by Kagiji Kumanomata and originally appearing in Weekly Shounen Sunday. While the manga is still ongoing (currently up to 16 volumes), a 12-episode anime adaptation by studio Doga Kobo (Himouto! Umaru-chan, YuruYuri, How Heavy Are the Dumbells You Lift?) is currently underway, and it kicks all kinds of rear end.

I love a story that can take an absurdly mundane premise and keep it entertaining. After five episodes about a low-key psychopathic princess cannibalizing her captors for bedding material, I'm still giggling like an idiot pretty much every scene. My vote for anime-of-the-season.

Suyaaaaa~~

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this is also my favorite show this season. it's pretty much a pure gag comedy though so i don't really have any grand insight on it. it's funny. also the ED owns.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Show good.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Princess.png

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Huzzah! posted:

Princess.png

If she's going on an adventure elsewhere, she's not brutally murdering them for bedding material. Let her go on her way, and stay well clear :tinfoil:.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, thread, do you guys think that funimation is gonna go with bussy (what viz did) or uh...succyan? whatever someone in the autumn thread told me the fanscan's went with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Renzuko posted:

So, thread, do you guys think that funimation is gonna go with bussy (what viz did) or uh...succyan? whatever someone in the autumn thread told me the fanscan's went with.

I don't understand the question... :confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

I think they mean the thing she says when she falls asleep at the end of each of her... adventures.

Personally I'd say it'd be better to just not fall in the trap of blind translation and go with something like a serenely-spoken "Good-niiight". Same general intent and syllable count, and actually parses with english-speaking audiences.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't know anything about the manga but they should definitely have the character say bussy

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The sub I'm watching just uses "Zzzzz..." which I think is a perfectly good translation. :shrug:

For the dub, I think it would be more natural to just go with a long sigh/exhale.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 31, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They're talking about a character name that hasn't appeared yet.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Lol, sorry, should have been clearer....

In the op during the group dance scene just behind syalis there's the tire demon (whom we just met) and 3 demons we havent met yet.

In the autumn thread I'd commented that the second one is a succubus that viz called "bussy" but the fan scans went with "sakkyun", so they must be going like at least 6 volumes into the currently released manga.

And yeah like...the funimation sub just goes with ZZZ when she, and others, have done the sya~ noise.

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 31, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'd kind of forgotten just how callous Suya was at first. Not that she's an angel now or anything.

SeanGaffney
Mar 16, 2002
Nomad of the Time Streams

Nemo2342 posted:

I'd kind of forgotten just how callous Suya was at first. Not that she's an angel now or anything.

She just wants people to hear the peaceful tones of the vuvuzela! Is that so wrong?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

SeanGaffney posted:

She just wants people to hear the peaceful tones of the vuvuzela! Is that so wrong?

Carlos Amato posted:

I come to bury the vuvuzela, not praise it. The trumpet of South African cultural exceptionalism has died a plaintive death in the decade since it irritated billions of Fifa World Cup viewers. And now, in the age of Covid-19-infused fomites, the vuvuzela’s only legally and morally defensible purpose is to measure out a 2m gap.

The vuvuzela was billed as a celebration of South African attitude and spirit, providing the jubilant soundtrack of “Philip is here”. But in reality it was what is known in Yiddish as a meshuga – a weird, stubborn madness. Because let’s be honest here, nobody in their right minds actually likes the din of a vuvuzela in one’s ear – except the vuvuzealot who happens to be blowing one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
just because vuvuzelas make a horrible noise while spreading death and disease is no reason to stop using them.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
I already saw this around 20 years ago!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

just because vuvuzelas make a horrible noise while spreading death and disease is no reason to stop using them.

Mods please change candyguy’s name to Vuvuzealot

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

RIP Neo Alraune's older brother.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My quads are going to die!
I loving felt her pain during that scene. :stonk:

Also, wth vuvuzelas? I'm surprised anyone in Japan remembered them six years after the South African World Cup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

My quads are going to die!
I loving felt her pain during that scene. :stonk:

Also, wth vuvuzelas? I'm surprised anyone in Japan remembered them six years after the South African World Cup.

A quick google says the manga started in 2016, so it's just an outdated gag I think.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A quick google says the manga started in 2016, so it's just an outdated gag I think.

That's the point, though. The South Africa Wolrd Cup was in 2010. Six years is forever for topical humor like that. :psyduck:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

That's the point, though. The South Africa Wolrd Cup was in 2010. Six years is forever for topical humor like that. :psyduck:

Wait, was it really that long ago? :corsair:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The vuvuzula was very memorable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That entire time with Harpy in the Princess' cell was just harrowing. You know it's gonna be bad for the poor girl once Sya realizes she can make a feather comforter, it was just a matter of seeing how how she'd get them :ohdear:.

I do love that the demons have gotten to the point of traumatized indifference to Sya's escapades though.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I do love that the demons have gotten to the point of traumatized indifference to Sya's escapades though.

Lol, there's a reason huzzah posted that panel. at some point its "oh good she's going to rampage somewhere else..."

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
The vuvuzela was the best part of the entire episode.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Imma be mad if Demon Scissor Princess Machine doesn't make a comeback. Also, apparently, the ice golem captain was revived, but she still had access to the tire golem suit. >_>

Also, powerful life lesson this episode.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Also, apparently, the ice golem captain was revived, but she still had access to the tire golem suit. >_>

Presumably Great Red found out about the igloo and made her return the body of ice golem, but didnt find the...pile of tires. I wonder if like...they showed the rubber demon being the...gas demon? if he just needs to re-inhabit a new pile of tires.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

oh hey this series got adapted

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Oh, there's a thread for this series! I caught up last week and it's pretty good. Definitely a sleeper (har har) hit of the season.

I wish they translated the opening because it seems to be very in character. There's probably a fan translation somewhere around the internet though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

macabresca posted:

Oh, there's a thread for this series! I caught up last week and it's pretty good. Definitely a sleeper (har har) hit of the season.

I wish they translated the opening because it seems to be very in character. There's probably a fan translation somewhere around the internet though

They generally do eventually for most shows. From what I understand/half-remember it's a licensing snafu of some kind that can delay OP/ED lyrics getting subtitles.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

brother you have no idea

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
"Demons' excitement on par with a successful rocket launch." :grin:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I really hope they're doing the next chapter in order.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Huzzah! posted:

Princess.png

Nice to know the origin of the car in this panel, now. :v:

I lost it at the moving bed. Kumanomata is a goddamn genius. This dumbass show is so loving good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I was fully expecting the most recent episode to end with Hades emotionally broken from the Princess' antics and getting to a point of "Look; just loving take her back already :cripes:.

That lone Teddy Demon trying to fly her pillow to her was very sweet though :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Sya shaking violently at the dentist's was great. It also gave me dreams about pulling teeth, lol