Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Showing off a bit of my noobness here but I think this was the first hericium I've seen in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I've been at it 4 years and the only one I've seen was the size of a ping pong ball :v: Nice find! Did you invite it home for dinner?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nah, the slugs already got to it on the other side, and I'm not quite up to eating wild mushrooms yet (outside of morels).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The first two I hadn't seen before, funny little friends, actually no idea what any are I just like finding them

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Greatest Living Man posted:

Some ones in Bavaria.

Not sure but lol

Bavaria must be a look like Denmark, 'cause we have all of the same ones right now!

The lol one is Coprinus comatus, known as Lawyer's Wig. We call it Wig-hat here - it's actually a quite decent morsel if you get them young, we picked and fried some yesterday and ate them on bread!

E: but don't get drunk at the same time, they create compounds that make alcohol, uh, very dangerous.

Tias fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 27, 2020

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Some more from this weekend:

A few more here:
https://imgur.com/a/OcrNL8v

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Some more from this weekend:

A few more here:
https://imgur.com/a/OcrNL8v

What is the second one here and the first in your album? I think I saw both on one of my walks

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What is the second one here and the first in your album? I think I saw both on one of my walks

2nd one here looks like Pseudoclitocybe cyathiformis (heh), AKA a goblet funnel cap, but they were all very distinctly purple so I'm not quite sure.

First one in the album is probably Macrolepiota procera (parasol).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Cool, thanks! Mine wasnt a funnel cap now that I look closer but the other was really close if not the parasol

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

This isn't a mushroom, it's a slime mold! Wolf's milk slime to be precise.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Why are (some) mushrooms so poisonous, what benefit does it give them to be able to kill a whole pile of people per-cap

Tias
May 25, 2008

Most animals can tell by taste or smell, allowing them to grow to maturity in peace unless some dumbshit humans show up.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It’s also possible some are ‘just’ unpleasant or dangerous to the wildlife they evolved to deter and happen to be extremely fatal to humans.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The vast majority of natural plant (or fungal) poisons are alkaloids, which mammals have evolved to largely interprete as an exceedingly bitter taste. Caffeine is an alkaloid. Try biting down on a caffeine tablet sometime, that flavour won't go away all day.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

How bad poisons are varies a lot from species to species too. Chocolate kills dogs, grapes kill some dogs (seemingly at random), etc etc. Box turtles are edible except they love to eat toadstools and will retain some of the poison for a while and be potentially deadly. A fitting punishment for eating a box turtle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Scarodactyl posted:

Chocolate kills dogs
It's the contained theobromine, which is, incidentally, also an alkaloid. It has a pharmacodynamic profile that is very similar to that of caffeine, but dogs are not able to metabolize it very well. As such, they basically die of heart failure the way a human would if they mainlined a gallon of high-intensity black mocha.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Scarodactyl posted:

How bad poisons are varies a lot from species to species too. Chocolate kills dogs, grapes kill some dogs (seemingly at random), etc etc. Box turtles are edible except they love to eat toadstools and will retain some of the poison for a while and be potentially deadly. A fitting punishment for eating a box turtle.

Nature's greatest joke is that Australia is full of things that are mildly poisonous/venomous to most mammals (but highly poisonous/venomous to primates) which evolved that capability in the absence of primates.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Went to the churchyard and got an assload of Suillus luteus, syn. boletus luteus - apparently referred to as "slippery jack" or "sticky bun" in English :psyduck: We call it brown-yellow slime bolete.

Didn't taste so well, though, perhaps they were too big.

Also got a bunch of Xerocomellus chrysenteron, or red cracking bolete, but I didn't get a pic.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Tias posted:

Went to the churchyard and got an assload of Suillus luteus, syn. boletus luteus - apparently referred to as "slippery jack" or "sticky bun" in English :psyduck: We call it brown-yellow slime bolete.

Also got a bunch of Xerocomellus chrysenteron, or red cracking bolete, but I didn't get a pic.

In German they're called Butterpilze. Those are also ringless, so they're a little less tasty than the ones with rings. Also they gave me diarrhea.

Tias
May 25, 2008

In German they're called Butterpilze. Those are also ringless, so they're a little less tasty than the ones with rings. Also they gave me diarrhea.

Appropriately, in Sweden they're 'smörsopp' (butter mushroom).

Me too :aaa:

Thought it was just my IBS being a poo poo, but maybe it's a thing.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Tias posted:

Appropriately, in Sweden they're 'smörsopp' (butter mushroom).

Me too :aaa:

Thought it was just my IBS being a poo poo, but maybe it's a thing.

Yeah those appear to be suillus collinitus, which are generally considered less edible than suillus luteus. But if you had problems digesting one, then my source says to probably avoid all suillus.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

round here everyone seems to like to dry the slimy suillus species first to make the sticky texture go away--wonder if that also makes them easier to digest

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I’ve read that you’re supposed to pull the slimy layer off the cap to reduce GI impact, as it’s very common for that part to cause diarrhea.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Just chiming in that removing the slimy covering of a butter bolete.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, I peeled the cap off all of them first. Even if they didn't cause all sorts of bowel fun I just wouldn't dig on the texture. Thanks for diarrhea info!

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

I love Hydnums

Lots of Hydnums

A clump of Nebularis

THE Amanita

Pac Man

Hydnums, much like chanterelles, are a single block of fungi flavour that's easy to clean and usually completely ignored by larvae. They are a little on the tougher side, but they just need more cooking.

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 31, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's a grade-A toadstool right there, just needs a toad.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

My lawn is completely overrun with these. What are they?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Frekkie Melody posted:

My lawn is completely overrun with these. What are they?

The most generic mushrooms
(Which usually are some kind of Marasmius but who the gently caress knows)

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 31, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

A few new friends

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I wonder if this is what haritan describes in this post https://www.instagram.com/p/CHNweW9M1VG/?igshid=1kypc82yeny6s

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hmm, I don't know. The caps of these here don't seem to have those distinctive black dots. The rims are also a bit lighter in color.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

the yeti posted:

I wonder if this is what haritan describes in this post https://www.instagram.com/p/CHNweW9M1VG/?igshid=1kypc82yeny6s

I'm pretty sure they were baby cyanescens from the growing in birch chips, white stems and purple bruising after they were picked but a spore print will be nice to confirm. Also they were super wet or jelly like which seems to be a big indicator? They should be a bit bigger today or tomorrow. I'm slowly learning! Cant stop looking for mushrooms now they're everywhere

Nice shaggy inkcap this morning

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ah yeah that blue and purple bruising is telltale, Psilocybe sp., would have been my next guess :catdrugs:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

What mushrooms do y'all hunt in the winter months? My neighbor's dead tulip poplar puts out a ton of veiled oysters around Christmas, but I don't know what else to look for in the Southeast US before morel season.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Dik Hz posted:

What mushrooms do y'all hunt in the winter months? My neighbor's dead tulip poplar puts out a ton of veiled oysters around Christmas, but I don't know what else to look for in the Southeast US before morel season.

Do yellowfeet (Craterellus tubaeformis) grow there? It's what I pick in the finnish winter months since it doesn't mind freezing.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dik Hz posted:

I don’t really do much old weather hunting but I know brick caps and oysters are around, and once it warms a touch lots of jelly fungus pop up on the winter’s storm fall.

Careful with brick caps though they have a couple nasty lookalikes and co-occur with Galerina marginata

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.
I had a productive visit to south central Oregon over the weekend. We ended up taking home a dozen big fat white chantrelles and four huge Matsutakes. I’ve been trying to hone my skills at finding porcinis, and we did find a few fat boletes but most were already rotting or I just couldn’t ID them well enough to feel good about eating them.

White Chantrelle

Unknown bolete

This has been a head scratcher. I think it is Smith’s Amanita. The cap was very textured, but I couldn’t see the veil remnant on the stalk I would have expected to see.

Matsutake. I grilled this one last night and it was amazing. The rest is going to be grilled and added to ramen. Best mushroom.

Scaly Chanterelle

Zeller’s Bolete??

Cracked Bolete

Western Painted Suillis

No idea. Love this one, can’t ID it. Anyone? Lepiota americana, maybe?

Russula brevipes I believe. This was very large, maybe 10-12 inches in diameter.

Stinking Dapperling

Blue Staining Suillis

Umber-Brown Puffball

Pholiota limonella

Aniseed Toadstool

Amethyst Deceiver

Questionable Stropharia

Boar’s Head

Dark Honey Fungus, Armillaria ostoyae

If anyone has a recommendation for cooking the chanterelles I’m all ears. So far we’ve done a pesto sauce, but I’m not sure what to try next.

Guido Merkens fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 10, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

cream base with chanterelles, salt, pepper and on toasted bread. They're quite good in omelettes, on pizza or in stews/soups too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Found this in the morning, it was bigger than a basketball. I lightly tapped it with and arrow and it seemed to be more dust than solid.