Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
im the "authoritative" government ama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

FMguru posted:

im the "authoritative" government ama

Libertarian silicon valley nerds have a serious brain disease

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

titaniumone posted:

Libertarians silicon valley nerds have a serious brain disease

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Xik posted:

dpc_pw 24 minutes ago
People chearleading lockdowns here, are completely misguided. There's really no evidence that it were masks or lockdowns. (There's really no evidence that mask and/or lockdowns do absolutely anything to COVID or flu, now or in the past, BTW).
It's more likely that COVID just out-competed the normal flu.

wasn't non-covid flu at a record low this year because of masks and lockdowns?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

yes. these people are loving idiots

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

titaniumone posted:

Libertarian silicon valley nerds have a serious brain disease

One of the worst posts that I ever saw on that site was on the 2016 results thread. One of the top rated posts was a white silicon valley moron ranting about how anti white everything had become, and he couldn't get a GF and was entitled to one and how Trump was a direct result of all of that.

They should all be lobotomized.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

kitten emergency posted:

the comments were replies to an article saying exactly that, but no one on hn actually reads the article. they just post whatever vaguely related thoughts the title makes pop into their head.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I can't get a gf but it's because of my personality not because you can't get away with saying the n-word in public 🤷‍♂️

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Men can be fired for taking paternity leave (boingboing.net)

startrek9921 4 hours ago
Not saying I condone this but... Sometimes you gotta read the room.
Disney streaming was probably about to launch. There are certain times in life (initial launch being one of them) that you don't want distractions. A new family is a HUGE distraction.
Also, not sure the snark was necessary:
> Could universal paid parental leave finally be the issue that unites Men's Rights Activists and Actual Normal Gender Equality Activists?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xik posted:

Men can be fired for taking paternity leave (boingboing.net)

startrek9921 4 hours ago
Not saying I condone this but... Sometimes you gotta read the room.
Disney streaming was probably about to launch. There are certain times in life (initial launch being one of them) that you don't want distractions. A new family is a HUGE distraction.
Also, not sure the snark was necessary:
> Could universal paid parental leave finally be the issue that unites Men's Rights Activists and Actual Normal Gender Equality Activists?
You don't want employees to have the distraction of new kids, so clearly you should fire them even if they don't take parental leave.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Your decision to join a company like ours and then start a family clearly reflects inexcusably poor judgment, so obviously this termination is for cause

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Your decision to join a company like ours clearly reflects inexcusably poor judgment, so obviously this termination is for cause

ftfy

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

AnimeIsTrash posted:

One of the worst posts that I ever saw on that site was on the 2016 results thread. One of the top rated posts was a white silicon valley moron ranting about how anti white everything had become, and he couldn't get a GF and was entitled to one and how Trump was a direct result of all of that.

They should all be lobotomized.

nah, move them all to an isolated city with the rest of their libertarian friends. let them truly embrace their ideology

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
just don't feed the bears

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

> I used to believe in climate change, then I studied feminism in depth. I don’t believe in climate change anymore.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

fart simpson posted:

> I used to believe in climate change, then I studied feminism in depth. I don’t believe in climate change anymore.

only room for one idea at a time in the old bean, eh?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
If you are unproductive when coding C++, you are Doing It Wrong. Good C++ code flows like water. If you are finding it complex, you have gone down a side alley, and need to get back to the wide, sunny boulevard.

I frequently sit down and write 2000 lines of C++ code, and when it compiles, it works. Aim for that.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

FamDav posted:

If you are unproductive when coding C++, you are Doing It Wrong. Good C++ code flows like water. If you are finding it complex, you have gone down a side alley, and need to get back to the wide, sunny boulevard.

I frequently sit down and write 2000 lines of C++ code, and when it compiles, it works. Aim for that.

i can believe that someone wrote this but it fills me with a sense of pity i cant quite describe

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ciaphas is the only person in the world who can write 2000 lines of C and have it compile and work the first time

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FamDav posted:

and when it compiles, it works

ah, so never.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

ciaphas is the only person in the world who can write 2000 lines of C and have it compile and work the first time
C tends to compile and segfault, but c++ is apparently like a magic eye puzzle where if you spend enough time looking at it, there's a modern language hidden inside.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The C++ meme is that 2000 lines of code turns into a 2000 line template expansion error message that you need to dig through to figure out that you forgot an & somewhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jabor posted:

The C++ meme is that 2000 lines of code turns into a 2000 line template expansion error message that you need to dig through to figure out that you forgot an & somewhere.

I eventually became able to read these messages and I really still don’t know what to think about that.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kitten emergency posted:

i can believe that someone wrote this but it fills me with a sense of pity i cant quite describe

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
guess how old they are

quote:

It doesn't solve the problem that RPC leaves the definition of the verbs (ie the procedures) and how they modify state of a common thing undefined. If I call an RP twice, what is the effect? How do I know it succeeded? What happens if it fails? etc etc
None of these things can be communicated through an IDL definition.

HTTP solves this problem by strictly defining the operation of its verbs (HEAD/OPTIONS/GET/PUT/POST/DELETE/PATCH) in terms of idempotency, caching, identification etc.

Communicating the structure of the things that you are manipulating in REST over HTTP is done by defining the media types that you expect and respond with. Content identification and headers in content/connection negotiation define the versions and formats of the content of requests and responses.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I want to steal that person's pacifier to watch them cry.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/cmeik/status/1322494572866510848?s=21

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm amazed that there's still anyone who cares about correct rest verb style between the people who are like "gently caress it just dump it in the json and call it a day" on one hand and the megalomaniacal graphql fetishists on the other.

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 31, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

idk i can't recall ever having a GET have a side-effect bud.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wtf the unread number on this thread just changed on me

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really? youre lucky. also sorry if im missing :thejoke:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
unread number is a get side effect thatsthejoke

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

All OAuth servers do that, and email unsubscribe links in jurisdictions where its legally required

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

unread number is a get side effect thatsthejoke

oh of course, somehow i did not see that post. thanks!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
clearly each page loaded should make a separate POST request to the server to update the last page read

mystes
May 31, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

clearly each page loaded should make a separate POST request to the server to update the last page read
Each individual post as you scroll down.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why did u think its called post

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

reply to that tweet:

https://twitter.com/sigwinch28/status/1322499040446238720

and i can't explain why i find this real real amusing, like chatting to a coworker about some dumb new tech thing and then in an slightly embarrasing hushed tone "yeah i read it on that orange website" because if you don't say the name you don't have to admit you read it unironically sometimes

hn thread: pretty much the orange website in a nutshell

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
drat remember when google released their web accelerator proxy that was essentially just a gigantic squid cache publicly available and insisted for a month that any website broken by non-idempotent get was the websites fault and not theirs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Less Fat Luke posted:

drat remember when google released their web accelerator proxy that was essentially just a gigantic squid cache publicly available and insisted for a month that any website broken by non-idempotent get was the websites fault and not theirs?

yeah, it broke a bunch of rails sites that had delete actions routed to get requests. if you were logged in as an admin or something, it would just wipe everything out in the background without telling you lmao