Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

VR headset cables are an easy fix; The problem is they're made light and thin to reduce weight, so they knot up and hang underfoot due to trying to live in tight loops. Get yourself literally any semi-flexible cable protector and wrap about two meters of cable that sits on the floor with it and you'll never worry again. Hangs away from your feet on the floor, won't get broken if you step on it.

Do you have a link to what cable protector you use, if any? I haven't heard that solution before but it seems easy enough to try.

Tom Guycot posted:

If you are going to do this, you should at least buy the quest 2 first, see if you actually like using it with your PC, and then sell the index or return the quest. With the order time on indexes, you'll kick yourself if you get rid of it first and then find out you preferred using it.

That is the plan yeah, I'm just trying to rationalize doing that because it's still a fair few hundred to pick one up + accessories. Also was hoping for anyone to chime in on if they had made the switch from the Index to the Quest 2 but I guess no one has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Let’s pretend I’m not going to watch 2 hours of this. Sum it up?

"No we've never built anything like this but how hard could it be?"

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Everything I've seen about this decagear thing suggests it's the VR version of the Phantom console.

I think they did eventually release a lap board so maybe there will be like an overpriced battery pack or knuckle strap with a decagear logo on it in a few years time.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Ulio posted:

Also how long does it take for Valve to contact you for the index order?

4-6 weeks to 6 months

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I got my order delivered 2 days after ordering it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
picked up alyx since it was on sale and this computer is just not cutting it. my gaming pc, such as it is, is dead at the moment so i've been using the og vive on this older desktop that has an r9 nano in it. whatever is causing it, there are microstutters and literally for the first time VR is making me dog sick, haha. avoiding motion sickness was one of my favourite parts of getting into VR as i'm super sensitive to it when playing 3d games on flat screens.

oh well, back to playing audioshield and poo poo for now.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phasmaphobia is terrifying in VR. It needs some polish on the controls for sure but it nails it on atmosphere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ishikabibble posted:

Do you have a link to what cable protector you use, if any? I haven't heard that solution before but it seems easy enough to try.

That is the plan yeah, I'm just trying to rationalize doing that because it's still a fair few hundred to pick one up + accessories. Also was hoping for anyone to chime in on if they had made the switch from the Index to the Quest 2 but I guess no one has?

You want something similar to this for your VR headset cable and you can find it just about anywhere. Something with a 7mm diameter will do (at least that's the right diameter for a Vive Pro cable, I don't know if the Index or any others are thicker or thinner), and you want about a two meter stretch of it for the two-odd meter section of your headset cable that typically lays on the ground if you're standing while playing.

Stops your cable hogtailing to death because it can't loop tightly anymore, and will actually survive getting stepped on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Voxx posted:

4-6 weeks to 6 months

Do they add it to your cart or purchase it automatically through your default payment?

Till I get my Index, I went ahead and ordered a Oculus link cable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Subjunctive posted:

my dude this is awesome. the sound effects are perfect for the visuals

Thanks a bunch dude. I'm not a professional studio so I'm just getting by on what stock sound effects I own. But yeah, there's some surprisingly great assets out there for cheap.

I've since modified the player's blaster to sound a bit different, found some other laser blast noises I like even more. Pew pew pew!

I'm trying to bang out a Halloween themed level for tomorrow but I may not have enough time. My gf got sick today and I spent most of the day taking care of her, although she's sleeping now so I've been banging away at the code.

I just implemented a 1911 and a zombie AI / animation controller, but I'd still need to throw together some kind of graveyard level... but I may end up staying up late. IDK. I should probably wait for a demo until its more polished...

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Ulio posted:

Do they add it to your cart or purchase it automatically through your default payment?

Till I get my Index, I went ahead and ordered a Oculus link cable.

you should get an email, which will ask you to confirm details and actually purchase and process shipping for it. you have about a week to confirm or lose your spot. you can also track this in your purchase history on steam.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Thanks all for the recommendations of the educational/storytelling stuff! I don't have a Link yet but it sounds like that really opens up the content. I don't have a gaming PC at the moment, and I'm waiting for 3080's to be in stock so I can get something to not have to worry about VR processing and such for a long time but I'll check these out when I get one (in like eight years when it's in stock)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

iron buns posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jk9dp5/mine_broke_something_weird_is_going_on_with_the/

There's something weird going on with the elite straps. The strap is supposed to have serial number and other info on the left side (inside the cup) where it attaches to the headset, and on the box as well. Apparently the info is missing on the straps that have broken. Not sure if that's the case for all broken straps, though.

Check your elite straps, people. At least mine has the info and it hasn't broken so far.

I think this might just be some miscommunication. They started a tracking thread and every responder with a non battery strap didn’t have a serial number, whether it was broken or not. All responders with a battery strap had a serial number, whether it was broken or not. I think the serial number thing is just a red herring.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When I got my index in... August?
There was a six week lead time for the full bundle, but only a three week lead time if I bought all three components individually, and only a $50 upcharge for doing so.

Keep that in mind if you're index shopping, I guess.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Great Beer posted:

Phasmaphobia is terrifying in VR. It needs some polish on the controls for sure but it nails it on atmosphere.

Phasmaphobia has honestly been my favorite VR experience. I couldn't even finish the tutorial, I was so spooked. Then I played a bunch and got used to it. And then I joined a game with a hacker that scared me so bad, I almost ripped my headset off.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlacidCarelessSandpiperAMPEnergyCherry
It's super dark, so you may not be able to tell. But there's not supposed to be that many ghosts hanging out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I ordered my Index on April 1 and didn't get it for like 13 or 14 weeks.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

The queue for my Index ended up being just under 3 months. I joined the queue back on August 3rd and completed the order today. I'm hoping to get it before Monday, but that's probably a bit ambitious.

Turns out I wasn't overly ambitious at all. I just got the note that it's out for shipping today.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Happy Halloween VR Thread!! :ghost:

I have a special super secret double probation Halloween special treat for you

I ended up jamming all through the night and managed to package up an early demo build of my arcade light-gun style game Bullet Points complete with a hastily tossed together Halloween-themed level!
This is a goon exclusive! Free game demo! (I'd rather you not just go post this on reddit but feel free to show your friends if you like)

Unfortunately currently requires SteamVR. I'll be working on Oculus support in the future TBD.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtVrs-4CJCUxZZeWA1QWkjUzRmzrgLMg/view?usp=sharing (File is ~150MB)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ex67r3vFvQ&t=1s
Here's a preview

I would super appreciate it if people tested it out and let me know if it works or if they have issues. Especially anybody who has a headset other than an Index (what I'm building it on) but still has SteamVR set up.
Its pretty darn barebones, still early days. I need to add more levels and guns and a ton of polish, but you may find it fun :) Shoot some robits and some zombies.
Included in the .zip file is a README.txt with instructions since there's no tutorial or anything of the sort yet.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Anybody know of some good, short horror VR stuff to show off at a Halloween party, for people who've never used VR before?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Richie’s Plank Experience has some fun quick scares if you rip off the panel in the elevator and punch in 666

e: Necessary that any participants don’t get to watch the monitor before they go, of course.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I just got my Index Tuesday.

GORN is a lot of fun, the movement takes getting used to (I switched from arms to the stick and it's better).

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

I ended up jamming all through the night and managed to package up an early demo build of my arcade light-gun style game Bullet Points complete with a hastily tossed together Halloween-themed level!
This is a goon exclusive! Free game demo! (I'd rather you not just go post this on reddit but feel free to show your friends if you like)

Unfortunately currently requires SteamVR. I'll be working on Oculus support in the future TBD.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jtVrs-4CJCUxZZeWA1QWkjUzRmzrgLMg/view?usp=sharing (File is ~150MB)

Here's a preview

I would super appreciate it if people tested it out and let me know if it works or if they have issues. Especially anybody who has a headset other than an Index (what I'm building it on) but still has SteamVR set up.
Its pretty darn barebones, still early days. I need to add more levels and guns and a ton of polish, but you may find it fun :) Shoot some robits and some zombies.
Included in the .zip file is a README.txt with instructions since there's no tutorial or anything of the sort yet.

Neat! I'll give this a go on a q2 through link and VD, see if theres any problems.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Anybody know of some good, short horror VR stuff to show off at a Halloween party, for people who've never used VR before?

The original "face your fears" has very short scenes that don't require any interaction and are just various spooky things. I've put people in that people so they can get scared of killer dolls and rip off the headset screaming :v: Though, i'm not sure it has a native Q2 version, but it definitely has a PC version you can run, alternately you can sideload the Go/gear VR APK of it and it runs fine (with 6d0f even) on the quest. I would say this is the #1 option though if you have the ability to grab the pc version, or can grab the APK of the game and sideload it (its free anyways to begin with), as its got a few scenes, and they're all passive, short, spooky, and no one has to move around, they can just sit on a couch and after a couple minutes its over.

Theres also the sequel, face your fears 2, which is native on Q2 but much like the next game i was going to suggest, you have to do more than sitting still, you have to walk around and explore.

Also may want to look at "affected: the manor", its mostly a VR haunted house you just have to walk through no real gameplay to figure out, but you do still have to walk so it might not be great for the most beginner of beginners

The five nights freddy game im pretty sure you just sit in place and press buttons so I would think that should be pretty ok to VR new players.

Those are most of the more "passive" things i can think of off the top of my head, after that it gets into a lot more gameplay games, of which there are a lot of course.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have an index and haven’t messed with anything outside of steam yet. How do I get that Face Your Fears thing going?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
what are the titles you've played the most?

looking through i thought the numbers would be higher but i have ~ 72 hours in audioshield, 14 in the lab. 3-4 hours each in space pirate trainer and job simulator (that one is especially fun for people who haven't played vr before i find) couple hours in virtual desktop.

also if you haven't played the talos principle in 2d (i haven't), i've honestly been enjoying the vr version. it's generally pretty calm with basic puzzle solving and easy to just sort of enjoy a low-stress experience. i doubt i'd be into it if i'd already done it all in 2d, though.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
I have a Quest that's been mostly collecting dust for awhile and finally got a GPU good enough to handle VR so I'm ready to play HL Alyx. What ended up being the consensus on the Oculus Link cable? I've heard some people say no cable at all is needed and to just run wireless while others have suggested using some random cheap cables.
I'd prefer to not give Facebook anymore money because holy poo poo they've really lost me with their new bullshit TOS but if it's significantly better than other options I guess I might have to buy their overpriced cable.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Black Sunshine posted:

I have a Quest that's been mostly collecting dust for awhile and finally got a GPU good enough to handle VR so I'm ready to play HL Alyx. What ended up being the consensus on the Oculus Link cable? I've heard some people say no cable at all is needed and to just run wireless while others have suggested using some random cheap cables.
I'd prefer to not give Facebook anymore money because holy poo poo they've really lost me with their new bullshit TOS but if it's significantly better than other options I guess I might have to buy their overpriced cable.

I got the official one,. my pal got the Amazon one.
His USB test in Oculus refuses to accept it is USB3 but he says 'no compression noticeable'
He thinks the issue is his USB chipset, so is gonna try a USB card, but he's happy with it.
He is a hobbyist game dev and has made stuff on Steam so he is a good person to listen to to me. He tried the wireless and had similar results.
My experience with the official one is it worked out of the box flawlessly, no complaints at all. I tested out Assetto Corsa last night as I know that game so well I can spot differences, it's perfect imo.
So, in our testing so far all options are good!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

Here's a preview

Tested it out with link and VD, no problems running it with either.

I know this is an early alpha of a project so i don't want to pick apart too many things that will probably get changed down the line, but might as well give the feedback regardless:

-Upon launching the game from my desktop, it started the game in a position so when i moved back to my play area all the menu's and everything were past my monitors and inaccessible. This wasn't a problem when i launched it from the headset, already in position, but from launching it on my desktop, with my mouse, i did have to dig into the steam menus to figure out how to reset my space.

-Its called Bullet Points, which is a slick name, however... everyone in the game shoots laser blasters? Theres no bullets in the game (outside of the halloween map). Not the enemies, not the player, so... it kinda seems really weird from that perspective. Like, its a great name, but it leaves me scratching my head given the gameplay. Personally, I'd like to see the game with less lasers, more projectile weapons to fit the name better.

-Upon death the menu it brings up is just... somewhere off in space, i didn't know what to do after dying my first time until i turned over and saw it sitting there a ways away. Really seems like this menu should pop up in front of the player so they dont' have to hunt it down in physical space.

-Weapons are very immaterial. They lack substance and heft. They really need some amount of weight applied to them (doesn't need to be a full physics thing like boneworks or something, something like, robo recall's weight would be perfect), as well as some amount of kick, of force.

-Going along with that, it should look impactful as well to shoot. Right now the sounds and motions and visuals just feel more like playing laser tag than being in a sci fi firefight. I want to fire off a machine gun that feels like its shaking the walls down, a laser beam that feels like its going to melt the gun apart, you know?

-If you're really going for the ol' lightgun feel, you might consider weapon powerups and items in crates or from enemy drops that you can shoot to get.

-The reloading was very finicky, it took me a while to realize how to do it, and the thumbstick felt squishy as an action. I ended up spinning the stick in circles sometimes in a pinch, which ended up turning off the laser on the one gun. This 100% feels like something that would be better off assigned to one of the buttons, get a tactile click, and a response from your gun.

-Following up on that, The system of ammo clips sitting on a table next to you seemed... off for some high octane action shooter. It feels more like i set up a stand at a craft fair and then robots attacked. I think you should figure out a way to ditch the table entirely and put you more directly into the action. Put the long gun on your back, holsters at your side, ammo clips across your chest, whatever, it just felt off being set up next to a picnic table. Having to turn back to my craft fair table to reload always took me out of the action, especially if you're going to light gun style where the player should be focused out at robots jumping up behind stuff.

-Obviously this is getting a bit off track for a small alpha build, but it would be neat to see it less as a set little shooting gallery scene, and have you advance through a level after xyz killed or what have you like in classic light gun games. keep moving forward through the level towards a boss or something.

-On the Q2 the hand positions were a little off, something thats easy to tell when you bring up the oculus menu and it overlays their hands which are in the right place, on top of the in game hands. Otherwise outside of that it wasn't super noticeable, so this is a rather minor thing.

All in all, really good work! It looks nice, runs well, and I see a ton of potential in the idea. I know you said you only have an index, but with a smidge more work on this, i think it would 100% behoove you to throw it up on sidequest and try to get some attention for it. I know "HAI YOU SHOULD MAKE A BUILD THAT RUNS ON ARM, ITS SO EASY TO JUST DO" is silly, but you should give some thought into trying to see if you can get a build running down the road. Or, I guess what I might say is as you build out this project, maybe just keep an eye out for making it in such a way that you're not burning resources and a port down the road would be easier and less of a total rebuild. Just some future proofing for a potential quest build as you go.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Picked up House of the Dying Sun on sale and it’s pretty fuckin fun. Nice sci-fi paperback vibe to it too. Now I’m wanting a driving game though, since I’ve been playing a bunch of Forza Horizon 4. That would be perfect in be imo. Not too sim-y unless you want it to be.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

-Upon launching the game from my desktop, it started the game in a position so when i moved back to my play area all the menu's and everything were past my monitors and inaccessible. This wasn't a problem when i launched it from the headset, already in position, but from launching it on my desktop, with my mouse, i did have to dig into the steam menus to figure out how to reset my space.

Yeah sorry about that. A "reset play area" button is something I desperately need to add fast. I figured that with how its currently set up it'd use your ideal Room Scale position but I guess not. Good to know! Thanks.

quote:

-Its called Bullet Points, which is a slick name, however... everyone in the game shoots laser blasters? Theres no bullets in the game (outside of the halloween map). Not the enemies, not the player, so... it kinda seems really weird from that perspective. Like, its a great name, but it leaves me scratching my head given the gameplay. Personally, I'd like to see the game with less lasers, more projectile weapons to fit the name better.

I ended up doing the Cyberpunk time period guns first because Crisis Vrigade already did the Time Crisis modern day thing. I'm planning on doing a series of time periods, Future, Modern, Western, Pirate, Medieval, etc. Each with different weapons and different methods of reloading and different enemies. Then once you beat levels with a certain score, you'll unlock the ability to customize and swap the default weapons for weapons you've unlocked. There definitely will be bullets, but yeah its kinda funny at the moment. Hitscan lasers feel good though? :shrug: (I'm probably gonna make the player bullet guns hitscan too, but add a bullet impact and some smoke trail or something)

quote:

-Upon death the menu it brings up is just... somewhere off in space, i didn't know what to do after dying my first time until i turned over and saw it sitting there a ways away. Really seems like this menu should pop up in front of the player so they dont' have to hunt it down in physical space.

Fair, on the one level it pops in front and on others its to the side, I wasn't sure which was preferable. I'll move them. (And I'm planning on adding a pop-up wrist-watch menu too for another way of accessing things)

quote:

-Weapons are very immaterial. They lack substance and heft. They really need some amount of weight applied to them (doesn't need to be a full physics thing like boneworks or something, something like, robo recall's weight would be perfect), as well as some amount of kick, of force.

Hmmm, I kinda like that its just point and shoot, like a simple arcade game. I actually really don't like how some games will artificially kick your gun aim when you shoot, so that it doesn't match your IRL position. But I do need to play around with weights and forces and all those coefficients to dial them in better.

quote:

-Going along with that, it should look impactful as well to shoot. Right now the sounds and motions and visuals just feel more like playing laser tag than being in a sci fi firefight. I want to fire off a machine gun that feels like its shaking the walls down, a laser beam that feels like its going to melt the gun apart, you know?

Yeah I feel you. I'm gonna add a lot of bullet impact effects, and really jazz up the shots using particle systems and visual effects graph and shaders, add more lighting effects for lasers and bullet holes for projectiles. Also the ability to shoot objects and have them smash instead of just bouncing around.

quote:

-If you're really going for the ol' lightgun feel, you might consider weapon powerups and items in crates or from enemy drops that you can shoot to get.

I definitely am. I think the "start with a default loadout and figure out how to make do" is actually kinda fun and makes it different from other VR shooters, you're like the hero who's hunkered down but came prepared.

But yeah, pickups and powerups and weapon drops would add a ton. I already have enemies dropping their guns when they die. I was thinking about adding a thing like HL: Alyx so you can force-pull objects to you and steal enemy guns.
Plus like, health pickups? Eat some food or inject yourself with a syringe to recover HP? Could be very fun.

quote:

-The reloading was very finicky, it took me a while to realize how to do it, and the thumbstick felt squishy as an action. I ended up spinning the stick in circles sometimes in a pinch, which ended up turning off the laser on the one gun. This 100% feels like something that would be better off assigned to one of the buttons, get a tactile click, and a response from your gun.

Yeah, I really need to rework this. I wanted to get something out today but probably should have worked on this more. It actually used to work better, I have videos from a few builds ago where you can more easily reload guns, but when I added the animated hands it kinda borked that bit up. I'll be moving the ammo clips position in your hand and things like that to help make it easier, plus the way it just jumps into the gun is pretty unrealistic. I'll probably leave the future guns as easy mode "magnetic reloads" but other guns will require more actually pushing the clip into the gun kinda actions.

Also SteamVR input is in a weird in-between place right now which makes accessing the buttons on different controllers a huge pain. I'm working on adding controls there but for some reason the bindings aren't.... working yet. :smith:

quote:

-Following up on that, The system of ammo clips sitting on a table next to you seemed... off for some high octane action shooter. It feels more like i set up a stand at a craft fair and then robots attacked. I think you should figure out a way to ditch the table entirely and put you more directly into the action. Put the long gun on your back, holsters at your side, ammo clips across your chest, whatever, it just felt off being set up next to a picnic table. Having to turn back to my craft fair table to reload always took me out of the action, especially if you're going to light gun style where the player should be focused out at robots jumping up behind stuff.

Hmmmm. It wouldn't be too hard to do holsters like other VR shooters do, I considered it already. I kinda like the little craft table :shobon: but maybe that's me. I was planning on improving them, so each time period would have a different "gun case". The future one could have a button that actually replicates the guns and plays a hologram-like animation, where in the wild west you could be cracking open a safe to pull out a revolver. But maybe that's too silly? An optional holster at least seems like a good middle ground.

quote:

-Obviously this is getting a bit off track for a small alpha build, but it would be neat to see it less as a set little shooting gallery scene, and have you advance through a level after xyz killed or what have you like in classic light gun games. keep moving forward through the level towards a boss or something.

Yeah, this is just kinda a proof of concept. I've played around with teleporting a bit (and god help me some day I may add free locomotion even) but I wanted to start with simple shooting galleries. I also had the idea of putting the shooting gallery on a ship or in a hovercar or in an elevator so while you're standing still, the level moves around. But I was thinking that standing at a single point for more than a few minutes does get pretty dull, so I'll probably have to string together a "campaign" of areas...

quote:

-On the Q2 the hand positions were a little off, something thats easy to tell when you bring up the oculus menu and it overlays their hands which are in the right place, on top of the in game hands. Otherwise outside of that it wasn't super noticeable, so this is a rather minor thing.

Good to know... I'll investigate.

quote:

All in all, really good work! It looks nice, runs well, and I see a ton of potential in the idea. I know you said you only have an index, but with a smidge more work on this, i think it would 100% behoove you to throw it up on sidequest and try to get some attention for it. I know "HAI YOU SHOULD MAKE A BUILD THAT RUNS ON ARM, ITS SO EASY TO JUST DO" is silly, but you should give some thought into trying to see if you can get a build running down the road. Or, I guess what I might say is as you build out this project, maybe just keep an eye out for making it in such a way that you're not burning resources and a port down the road would be easier and less of a total rebuild. Just some future proofing for a potential quest build as you go.

I'm definitely planning on supporting Quest. I was doing some early render tests and if I went with the HD render engine I could get some fantastically better visuals, with really nice volumetric lighting. However, I choose to stay away from that, in order to guarantee the best VR performance. The low-poly models means the game compiles down very small (just 150mb right now, pretty nice) so it should easily fit on Quest and perform well with the simple graphics. And I really like the aesthetic, I'm getting an early Sega arcade machine feel from it, very Virtua Cop. So its definitely something I've been thinking about. Unfortunately between SteamVR, OpenVR, OpenXR and Oculus there's a mess of VR APIs making it harder to target both platforms than it will eventually be (once everybody is on XR) but... in theory I could replace some code and make a build for oculus now... but without testing there'd probably be some serious bugs. I'll get there before too long.

Thanks a ton dude I appreciate it and I'll definitely reference this post in the future when thinking about design!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Finally played some Vertigo without getting sick, and it a pretty cool experience so far. I got bored trying to deflect the pellets back at the tentacle monster, tired of dodging to see if hitting himself behind me would work, tired of dying a bunch of times to figure it out so I quit.

The visuals in some places are really, really good and the physics and world interaction is pretty good. But then you'll come across a forklift that looks like someone stole a Quake 2 model and you're just scratching your head at the lack of polish. Maybe that comes into play later, guess I'll have to find out!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mediaphage posted:

what are the titles you've played the most?

looking through i thought the numbers would be higher but i have ~ 72 hours in audioshield, 14 in the lab. 3-4 hours each in space pirate trainer and job simulator (that one is especially fun for people who haven't played vr before i find) couple hours in virtual desktop.

also if you haven't played the talos principle in 2d (i haven't), i've honestly been enjoying the vr version. it's generally pretty calm with basic puzzle solving and easy to just sort of enjoy a low-stress experience. i doubt i'd be into it if i'd already done it all in 2d, though.

I have to guess with PSVR stuff but I'd say

Skyrim VR-70 hours (50 on PSVR, 20 on Rift)
Astro Bot-20 hours
RE7-20 hours
Wipeout collection-50 hours
Firewall-50 hours
Alien Isolation- 23 hours
HL: Alyx- 13 hours
Star Wars Squadrons: 30 hours
Dirt Rally: 30ish

Everything else I've played is probably well under 10 hours each

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 31, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A lot of my stuff is sim racing which brings scary amounts of hours

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah iRacing blows everything out of the water for me by a mile, then Payday 2 is over 200 hours but most of that isn't VR

Then Dirt Rally 1&2, PCars 1&2... yeah.

Then its scattered across Alyx, Elite, Beat Saber

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah sorry about that. A "reset play area" button is something I desperately need to add fast. I figured that with how its currently set up it'd use your ideal Room Scale position but I guess not. Good to know! Thanks.

I ended up doing the Cyberpunk time period guns first because Crisis Vrigade already did the Time Crisis modern day thing. I'm planning on doing a series of time periods, Future, Modern, Western, Pirate, Medieval, etc. Each with different weapons and different methods of reloading and different enemies. Then once you beat levels with a certain score, you'll unlock the ability to customize and swap the default weapons for weapons you've unlocked. There definitely will be bullets, but yeah its kinda funny at the moment. Hitscan lasers feel good though? :shrug: (I'm probably gonna make the player bullet guns hitscan too, but add a bullet impact and some smoke trail or something)

Ah, this makes much more sense! I really like the idea of different time periods, and I'm curious how you'll tie it together or if you have a plot thought up. Seems the most obvious, and tying into the documents nature of the double meaning title, would be working for some bureaucratic office of time maintenance or whatever to give you the excuse to travel through time.

Zaphod42 posted:

Fair, on the one level it pops in front and on others its to the side, I wasn't sure which was preferable. I'll move them. (And I'm planning on adding a pop-up wrist-watch menu too for another way of accessing things)

Oh hey, if you have a special watch, why not just spawn a translucent holographic looking menu right in front of your view wherever you were looking when you die, and tie it in some how to the whole thing so its understood as a holographic projection from your watch or whatever, i dunno. But yeah, its not so much the menu being over here or over there, its more I feel like it should pop up as the focus wherever you're looking and not a set place on the map (not that it would need to follow your gaze, just spawn in wherever you were looking when activated/killed).

Zaphod42 posted:

Hmmm, I kinda like that its just point and shoot, like a simple arcade game. I actually really don't like how some games will artificially kick your gun aim when you shoot, so that it doesn't match your IRL position. But I do need to play around with weights and forces and all those coefficients to dial them in better.

Yeah well, i mean thats why i was saying it doesn't need to be extreme like some full physics thing, but just a little goes a long ways to making it seem more there. The problem with always wanting it to match 1:1 to real life is every gun will come across identical. So, I mean a heavy machine gun, or a laser canon will all feel like holding onto a laser pointer. I'm not saying the guns need to fly around and be wacky, but a liiiiitle something so each gun can feel different and some feel heavier, some kick more, than others. Even real light gun games started getting into it and putting mechanical blowback into the plastic guns so they felt more substantial.

Zaphod42 posted:

I definitely am. I think the "start with a default loadout and figure out how to make do" is actually kinda fun and makes it different from other VR shooters, you're like the hero who's hunkered down but came prepared.

But yeah, pickups and powerups and weapon drops would add a ton. I already have enemies dropping their guns when they die. I was thinking about adding a thing like HL: Alyx so you can force-pull objects to you and steal enemy guns.
Plus like, health pickups? Eat some food or inject yourself with a syringe to recover HP? Could be very fun.

Yeah that sounds great having a force pull thing. Gives it that extra vr kick compared to old lightgun games where you shoot an item to get it, making you have to pull the health/special ammo/weapon whatever powerups to you to get. Also gets your off hand doing some work. You could consider as well having lots and lots of random crap drop everywhere you're shooting and everyone your killing that just do things like add points to your score. Would be another way to add to a hectic nature in between shooting all these people where the player gets greedy and shot because they were trying to focus on grabbing too much swag. Also if you are doing some kind of time travel thing it could even be as simple as points are money and you're making extra on top of eliminating targets by picking up swag that would be worth money in the future as artifacts. Then you can have all sorts of silly items dropping out of trash cans and windows or whatever.

A mechanic where you're having to grab and collect items, even if its just for points, around you also would be a big differentiation from something like crisis vrigade (i've always hated that name...)

Zaphod42 posted:

Hmmmm. It wouldn't be too hard to do holsters like other VR shooters do, I considered it already. I kinda like the little craft table :shobon: but maybe that's me. I was planning on improving them, so each time period would have a different "gun case". The future one could have a button that actually replicates the guns and plays a hologram-like animation, where in the wild west you could be cracking open a safe to pull out a revolver. But maybe that's too silly? An optional holster at least seems like a good middle ground.

I mean from a personal perspective I still felt like having that out there made me look away from where i wanted to be looking. Like if Time crisis made me turn away from the screen and turn back every time my clip went empty, like maybe if it was just when changing weapons or something, but with it being the case every single time a clip went empty, it just seemed to really distort the flow and make me lose track of where the enemies are. What I might say is if you do want to have a table with things laid out, maybe put that in front of you, in front of the action so its no so far out of your way.

Maybe as well theme it all together, if you are some kind of time traveler, maybe you have a special case or something that goes with you, that distorts its shape, replicates ammo and guns, and kinda floats out in front of you. Maybe it could even put out a force field so you have something to duck behind whatever scene you're in, and could even get special abilities tied in, like maybe some item you grab gives it overshield and it lasts for 10 seconds at a full height so you don't have to duck and can shoot out but they cant shoot in, or other weird secondary abilities to you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, this is just kinda a proof of concept. I've played around with teleporting a bit (and god help me some day I may add free locomotion even) but I wanted to start with simple shooting galleries. I also had the idea of putting the shooting gallery on a ship or in a hovercar or in an elevator so while you're standing still, the level moves around. But I was thinking that standing at a single point for more than a few minutes does get pretty dull, so I'll probably have to string together a "campaign" of areas...

Well, what I meant wasn't so much free movement, or free teleportation, but an old school light gun "you've killed x people or objective in this screen, move to the next screen" progression, so they wouldn't get to choose where to go or anything, each space would still be dedicated to one spot. You know so like you're fighting by some garbage cans, you kill all the bad guys, you get a flashing ping from your watch or whatever saying area clear, or progress to next zone or whatever, and a glowing dot near some cars in the street off in the distance, you authorize you're ready to move on, it teleports you up to those cars and the next fight begins, rinse and repeat up to the boss or whatever.

Like, those first 2 maps could easily be linked together as part of one "L.A. 2045" or whatever time zone map along with more. I think its good to have something like that because you still get shooting gallery stuff, theres minimal movement a player needs to do, but people who want to complete a mission/game/story or whatever get that fun, but people who want to score chase can also replay the different time periods for points.

You should keep those ideas of hovercar/ship/elevator ideas as well though. The #1 thing that helps is variety, even if theres only one part where you're in a hovercar, one elevator scene, it will break up the monotony and give unique set pieces to various levels. Like if the progression on a map is, shoot scene, shoot scene, hovercar chase scene, shoot scene, or say shoot scene, elevator scene, shoot scene, shoot scene, its a lot more interesting to play through than shoot scene, shoot scene, shoot scene, shoot scene, you know? Gives the game some unique memorable moments that don't get overused.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm definitely planning on supporting Quest. I was doing some early render tests and if I went with the HD render engine I could get some fantastically better visuals, with really nice volumetric lighting. However, I choose to stay away from that, in order to guarantee the best VR performance. The low-poly models means the game compiles down very small (just 150mb right now, pretty nice) so it should easily fit on Quest and perform well with the simple graphics. And I really like the aesthetic, I'm getting an early Sega arcade machine feel from it, very Virtua Cop. So its definitely something I've been thinking about. Unfortunately between SteamVR, OpenVR, OpenXR and Oculus there's a mess of VR APIs making it harder to target both platforms than it will eventually be (once everybody is on XR) but... in theory I could replace some code and make a build for oculus now... but without testing there'd probably be some serious bugs. I'll get there before too long.

Thanks a ton dude I appreciate it and I'll definitely reference this post in the future when thinking about design!

Thats good to hear! A fleshed out version of this looks like a lot of fun, and theres nothing i've seen yet that does the lightgun shooting gallery thing, mixed with exploring different time periods so I think thats a really fun gimmick to separate it and get a kick out of. Everyone likes seeing time travel.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

These are taken from Steam and don't count Quest play time, I've noted games where I switched over to Quest.
Pavlov VR: 273 hours
Elite Dangerous: 96 hours
Skyrim VR: 60 hours
Half Life Alyx: 57 hours (might be some shared playtime with family/friends in there)
StandOut: 52 hours
Fallout 4 VR: 47 hours
Boneworks: 42 hours
Walking Dead S&S: 40 hours
Blade & Sorcery: 39 hours
Beat Saber: 35 hours (switched to Quest)
Vox Machinae: 34 hours
Assetto Corsa: 27 hours
Jet Island: 12 hours
Eleven TT: 9 hours (switched to Quest)
Ultrawings: 7 hours (switched to Quest)
Google Earth VR: 6 hours
Rush: 6 hours (switched to Quest)

Uncounted is other Quest stuff, Vivecraft and a hell of a lot of 2D media watching/playing via Virtual Desktop.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

peter gabriel posted:

A lot of my stuff is sim racing which brings scary amounts of hours

Do you do multiplayer stuff?

Years ago I splurged and spent near 800 on this thrustmaster setup with a separate gear shifter and 3 pedals and a mount and all this poo poo and ultimately found I was way less competitive the more 'realistic' my controls were because a controller is essentially cheating in comparison :classiclol: But maybe the VR interior actually gives you a leg up because of situational awareness?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nuts and Gum posted:

Years ago I splurged and spent near 800 on this thrustmaster setup with a separate gear shifter and 3 pedals and a mount and all this poo poo and ultimately found I was way less competitive the more 'realistic' my controls were because a controller is essentially cheating in comparison :classiclol: But maybe the VR interior actually gives you a leg up because of situational awareness?

Which game? You may be better in like Forza or Gran Turismo with a controller, because its kinda cheaty, but also because the games are more forgiving. In a sim like iRacing on a controller you're gonna have a hard time smoothly maintaining the limits of traction. Physical controllers are a huge advantage there.

And yeah VR interiors REALLY help, you can actually turn into the corners and look ahead and have a much better sense of cars alongside you. (And can intuitively turn quickly). You can get a TrackIR system to do the same looking thing without VR but you don't get the perspective in 3D.

Now sim racing isn't quite real life racing because you lack the g-forces, but it can get drat close.

Although, also, if you're really used to a controller you're gonna be better with that than first getting used to a wheel. Takes time to adjust to the braking points with a pedal vs a button, but once you adjust you should be much faster.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I find that I am significantly better at racing games with a decent force feedback wheel and pedals. I definitely went cheaper than you though, I spent like $50 on a used Logitech Driving Force GT.

It really ups the immersion in VR but I also find that it gives me so much more information and feedback. I can feel the details of the road surface, the traction I have on each tire, and the forces acting on the car in a way that would be impossible on a controller.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Played a lot of Dirt with both a fancy force feedback wheel, was never as fast as when I used a controller though

just figured out a way to improvise knuckle straps with my quest 2. Any other good improvised accessories people have experimented with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Is the Index still the suggested / best headset? Are there any VR games coming out soon that look good?

I'm finally upgrading my system to something that can run VR and considering it for the first time