Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
The Internal Security Unit (ISU) was the counter-intelligence and interrogation unit of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA). This unit was often referred to as the Nutting Squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FMguru posted:

Once in the hallway he would be run over and crushed by an advancing floor waxer, with his hands raised in terror. In one variation, he played a German Panicky Guy in Lederhosen, who was run over by a hand dolly full of cheese wheels.

Leland Orser moonlights in industrial safety films?!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
KFC has admitted that they include MSG to the recipe, but don't include it as one of the ingredients of the 11 herb and spices recipe.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chicken grease salt

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Several of the commandos also had M18 Claymore mines strapped to their chests with the firing mechanism in their hands, and were shouting at the North Koreans to cross the bridge.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

The North Koreans quickly got out of their buses and began setting up two-man machine gun positions, where they watched in silence as the tree was felled in 42 minutes (three minutes fewer than Stilwell's estimate),

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i refuse to divorce my fishwife boops boops

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

Omnia is a self-described "neoceltic pagan folk" band based in the Netherlands

Your point?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

"neoceltic pagan folk" band outside of the uk doesn't ring any comedic bells for you?

well, ok then

https://twitter.com/Vomit_Dragon/status/1321341287786668032

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

"neoceltic pagan folk" band outside of the uk doesn't ring any comedic bells for you?

well, ok then

https://twitter.com/Vomit_Dragon/status/1321341287786668032

Not really no. I know quite a few bands from all over Europe that mostly do celtic music. It's a reasonably popular genre. Hell, Metallica covered "Whiskey in the Jar" and last I checked they aren't Irish either.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i dont know what id call that style of music. not celtic.

grade school musical theatre maybe?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
ear poison

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Carthag Tuek posted:

i dont know what id call that style of music. not celtic.

grade school musical theatre maybe?

Bad.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

well yeah

just, it doesnt even seem to aspire towards a "celtic sound" much

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
what do you mean, they helpfully linked all of the celtic terms they use in their music to their wikipedia page

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i thought the funny part was "music of the netherlands" like neoceltic pagan folk is a dutch tradition and not a thing that one dutch band with a wikipedia page does

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
like if there was a mariachi band in virginia and the page for that linked to "appalachian music"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

that poo poo doesn't sound Celtic at all, but it sure does swipe the aesthetic for whatever it is

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

"Nightwish, but somehow more embarassing."

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I get that a lot of European bands switch to English if they can, because larger market. But , maybe build up the vocabulary a bit first, learn what's cliche now, work on the pronunciation a bit.

I'm just saying, it turns out there's a lot of English language music out there, and I just don't think these guys are going to make it.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

polyester concept posted:

i refuse to divorce my fishwife boops boops

i get this joke

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Are you saying you can only call something "music of <place>" if it traditionally from that place?

So, because pop music originated in the United States and the United Kingdom, you're not allowed to say some random pop music band from Canada counts as "music of Canada"?

Nah, this whole argument of y'all is weird to me.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the laugh out loud terrible "celtic" band from the netherlands who made sure to link to a list of celtic cultural topics that were mentioned in their music on their wikipedia page is both worthless and funny

Sham bam bamina! posted:

like if there was a mariachi band in virginia and the page for that linked to "appalachian music"

also they go out of their way to let you know where you can find more about mexican cultural customs you may have learned from their lyrics, like "cinco de mayo" and "siestas"

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 30, 2020

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the laugh out loud terrible "celtic" band from the netherlands who made sure to link to a list of celtic cultural topics that were mentioned in their music on their wikipedia page is both worthless and funny

also they go out of their way to let you know where you can find more about mexican cultural customs you may have learned from their lyrics, like "cinco de mayo" and "siestas"

Oh. That's a fair point. I never bothered clicking those links and thought they were all songs they covered or something. From the discussion above I thought y'all thought the "funny" part was slapping a Netherlands label on a Dutch band and I didn't get that.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Depending on the culture, bats may be symbolically associated with positive traits, such as protection from certain diseases or risks, rebirth, or long life, but in the West, bats are popularly associated with the superhero Batman

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Soricidus posted:

Depending on the culture, bats may be symbolically associated with positive traits, such as protection from certain diseases or risks, rebirth, or long life, but in the West, bats are popularly associated with the superhero Batman

and rabies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they are bugs

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Victory Position posted:

that poo poo doesn't sound Celtic at all, but it sure does swipe the aesthetic for whatever it is

it's white people badly appropriating reggae. i bet the band members think zwarte piet is fine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

comics comprise of a single panel and have a surrealist quality about them that has been described as "baffling and not exactly funny but the cartoonist seems too sincere about his mission to really mock"

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

did the apology last 5 years? drat, dude must have felt real bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

weird that south korea had no presidents in the 1980s

also, stolen for the awful graph thread in pyf:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745614&pagenumber=331#post509415566

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Acts of regicide were frowned upon,

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Soricidus posted:

Acts of regicide were frowned upon,

[citation needed]

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

he just wanted to show the crowds his rocks and they cut his balls off :(

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are you saying you can only call something "music of <place>" if it traditionally from that place?

So, because pop music originated in the United States and the United Kingdom, you're not allowed to say some random pop music band from Canada counts as "music of Canada"?

Nah, this whole argument of y'all is weird to me.

holy poo poo who cares, are you dragonfly sixty seven or something? its ok to make fun of random dumb bands on wikipedia, they don't need you to defend them or extract life lessons from the the jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oohhhhh boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_in_culture