Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

if i just completely avoid engaging in good faith at all, i'll show EVERYONE what a great poster i am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Oneiros posted:

leave it to a bunch of computer touchers and other pmc fucks to look at coal miners, historically some of the most leftist and pro-union workers in the entire loving country, and toss them under the bus because they offend their aesthetic sensibilities

why do you keep arguing against things that no one has said?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

you deleted the rest of my answer

i left the only part of it that mattered in

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

President Beep posted:

Kazinsal posted:

bad faith arguments generally involve that kind of behaviour, yes

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

President Beep posted:

that's the position of the entire democratic party. at the very least it sure as gently caress was the position of the last dem candidate for president to run.

speaking of arguing against things that no one has said:

President Beep posted:

heck yeah, bring back those coal jobs!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Oneiros posted:

that's the position of the entire democratic party. at the very least it sure as gently caress was the position of the last dem candidate for president to run.
this is literally not something anyone disagrees with. don't present the opinions of the democratic party as people who hated themselves as they checked 'x' next to biden's name. that's dumb as poo poo.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Oneiros posted:

i left the only part of it that mattered in

name someone biden would recruit as senior advisor who would be worse than stephen miller or jared kushner

you can't say hillary, that's cheating

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Beamed posted:

this is literally not something anyone disagrees with. don't present the opinions of the democratic party as people who hated themselves as they checked 'x' next to biden's name. that's dumb as poo poo.

i vote to put people in positions of power but i don't actually agree with/support their stated and historical positions, that'd be stupid!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i was being facetious because no one can understand what in the gently caress you’re trying to say about coal miners in Kentucky. job training to some other skilled trade is not an acceptable option for some reason?

unless you’re saying that the system is inherently stacked against them (which no one here disputes), but you’re being such a weapons grade dick about it that your message is wiped out.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

go ahead, what's your solution then, o mighty all-knowing keeper of answers

because it sure as gently caress isn't "bring back the coal that they took away from us"

i don't fuckin know what will fix appalachia, but i'm just some dipshit computer toucher. the national parties plainly don't give a poo poo about the region, the whole area is dying, and i can completely understand why someone living there would be completely frustrated and unwilling to vote for either party. voting either way will make zero difference to the their day to day with no jobs, no hope, and no one in power giving a poo poo about them

saying "they took the coal away" isn't ideal wording, but if you're not a lib fuckhead looking for excuses to poo poo on the rural poor, you can pretty easily tell what they mean: the middle class jobs left, the money has completely disappeared from appalachia, everyone there is completely hosed, and the response of the political and economic infrastructure is basically a giant shrug. that's what the complaint is about, ultimately: the decision about what areas of the country prosper and what areas don't is made by the capitalist class. these people could have jobs, but it's more profitable for them to suffer so that's what happens.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

anyway arguing on the internet is a bad time so no more of that for me thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oneiros is the guy who, when everyone in the lunch line is given the choice between a poo poo sandwich and a poo poo sandwich with a glass of water, goes back and forth smugly saying "i can't believe you're all choosing to eat poo poo!!! poo poo tastes bad, and i can't believe you don't think so!!! you must love it!!!"

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

President Beep posted:

i was being facetious because no one can understand what in the gently caress you’re trying to say about coal miners in Kentucky. job training to some other skilled trade is not an acceptable option for some reason?

unless you’re saying that the system is inherently stacked against them (which no one here disputes), but you’re being such a weapons grade dick about it that your message is wiped out.

all the job training programs in the world won't help people living in an area without jobs. to actually effect meaningful change you have two options, that i can think of in the thirty seconds i've bothered to think about it: either relocate former miners to a more prosperous area, or truck in cash to get some poo poo going

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i don't fuckin know what will fix appalachia, but i'm just some dipshit computer toucher. the national parties plainly don't give a poo poo about the region, the whole area is dying, and i can completely understand why someone living there would be completely frustrated and unwilling to vote for either party. voting either way will make zero difference to the their day to day with no jobs, no hope, and no one in power giving a poo poo about them

saying "they took the coal away" isn't ideal wording, but if you're not a lib fuckhead looking for excuses to poo poo on the rural poor, you can pretty easily tell what they mean: the middle class jobs left, the money has completely disappeared from appalachia, everyone there is completely hosed, and the response of the political and economic infrastructure is basically a giant shrug. that's what the complaint is about, ultimately: the decision about what areas of the country prosper and what areas don't is made by the capitalist class. these people could have jobs, but it's more profitable for them to suffer so that's what happens.

i agree with you but unfortunately the solution is waaaaay outside of the context of this or really any presidential election.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Nomnom Cookie posted:

all the job training programs in the world won't help people living in an area without jobs. to actually effect meaningful change you have two options, that i can think of in the thirty seconds i've bothered to think about it: either relocate former miners to a more prosperous area, or truck in cash to get some poo poo going

yeah, fair enough.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nomnom Cookie posted:

, or truck in cash to get some poo poo going

yes, this is the one, in the sense of like cancel the B-21 bomber project and put that money towards building a giant government-run solar cell factory in west virginia. what we need is a nouveau works progress administration.

people will undoubtely pop up in a few posts to lol at how unrealistic this sort of thing would be because they are terminally depressed losers who like to poo poo on everything, but it's a valid solution.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it should be very easy for everyone to vote for biden, and here's why:

you can't fix things by voting. don't come at me with some bullshit about constitutional amendments and abolishing the electoral college, that poo poo's less likely to happen than mitch mcconnell singing the internationale live on fox news. you do not get from contemporary america to a just society by voting for it. it doesn't matter that you don't have a candidate you like on the ballot, because the entire system is constructed to prevent candidates you like getting on the ballot.

voting is harm reduction. picking the lesser of two evils, and then go work toward change by other means

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

oneiros is the guy who, when everyone in the lunch line is given the choice between a poo poo sandwich and a poo poo sandwich with a glass of water, goes back and forth smugly saying "i can't believe you're all choosing to eat poo poo!!! poo poo tastes bad, and i can't believe you don't think so!!! you must love it!!!"

i don't have a problem with the people eating poo poo because they have no choice. i have a problem with the people who think that checking the "poo poo sandwich with water" checkbox on their meal preference survey is meaningful and effective action and dump on people who suggest otherwise

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Roosevelt posted:

name someone biden would recruit as senior advisor who would be worse than stephen miller or jared kushner

you can't say hillary, that's cheating

Hah.

Wanna know how I got these tags?

No? Wise.

I went "wait, hold the loving phone, what?" at someone's argument that electing Joe Biden would make America respectable again.

Trump bad. Is Joe going to do anything to improve the situation, or to fart around until we're in 2024 with a worse economic crisis and a very dedicated Charlie Chaplin impersonator running against him?

President Beep posted:

The Democrats will not make sure they get jobs and are fed and really can't articulate why they should vote for them. They keep pointing out that Trump is bad, which very few are disputing.

When you take away someone's livelihood, even if it's justified from both a common good and an economic viewpoint, you really should try to replace it with something. Otherwise you're a shitbag. Also those people will then hate you forever and be angry and you just reduced your chances of ever doing anything useful ever again because now you've got demographic groups that hate your guts - as well as the guts of any progressives who want sustainable energy.

Almost like the Democrats are perfectly willing to sabotage the left to maintain their personal status.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

yes, this is the one, in the sense of like cancel the B-21 bomber project and put that money towards building a giant government-run solar cell factory in west virginia. what we need is a nouveau works progress administration.

people will undoubtely pop up in a few posts to lol at how unrealistic this sort of thing would be because they are terminally depressed losers who like to poo poo on everything, but it's a valid solution.

this is actually good! yes, actually put money into building up our industrial capacity and advancing clean energy production!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oneiros posted:

i don't have a problem with the people eating poo poo because they have no choice. i have a problem with the people who think that checking the "poo poo sandwich with water" checkbox on their meal preference survey is meaningful and effective action and dump on people who suggest otherwise

you're addressing these people who think that voting for joe in 3 days is going to fix everything and they can go back to ignoring politics again. who in here is saying that?

like, those people exist absolutely, but not in yospos. read the room.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Oneiros posted:

but this isnt a typical lunch line. if not enough people choose poo poo sandwich with water, then the cafeteria is going to cheap out and nobody is gonna get water at all.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

polyester concept posted:

but this isnt a typical lunch line. if not enough people choose poo poo sandwich with water, then the cafeteria is going to cheap out and nobody is gonna get water at all.

i would simply eat at the canadian cafeteria, where everyone gets poo poo and water for free

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

polyester concept posted:

[people choose poo poo sandwich with water, the cafeteria decides that they'd rather increase their profit instead and stops serving water anyway]

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
spit! spit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1vSlNz0PaA&t=46s

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Coal miners are lazy bums. Get a real job you slackers!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

anyway it's real hard to get any work done when u got poo poo and bread stuck to the roof of your mouth

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Oneiros posted:

[people choose poo poo sandwich with water, the cafeteria decides that they'd rather increase their profit instead and stops serving water anyway]

yeah this might happen. but telling people they shouldn't try for water because you, personally, don't see a way for them to get it, is also dumb! this isn't hard. you're telling people to accelerate making things worse for impacted communities, not because you think it will help those communities in the short term, but because you want to own the libs or some poo poo. and that's embarrassing!

poo poo sucks anyway. america's literally doomed

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Beamed posted:

yeah this might happen. but telling people they shouldn't try for water because you, personally, don't see a way for them to get it, is also dumb! this isn't hard. you're telling people to accelerate making things worse for impacted communities, not because you think it will help those communities in the short term, but because you want to own the libs or some poo poo. and that's embarrassing!

poo poo sucks anyway. america's literally doomed

telling people that the oasis they're stumbling towards is just a mirage is not dumb

i'll be very, very happy to be proved wrong. seriously. i hope to loving god i'm wrong, because the alternative is loving depressing as hell. but i don't think biden is going to be the improvement people think he is.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Oneiros posted:

telling people that the oasis they're stumbling towards is just a mirage is not dumb

i'll be very, very happy to be proved wrong. seriously. i hope to loving god i'm wrong, because the alternative is loving depressing as hell. but i don't think biden is going to be the improvement people think he is.

this isn't an oasis lmfao. have you read a single post anyone made this thread?

honestly, if you haven't, i don't blame you. poo poo takes a huge emotional toil and all that. but stop just making things up to argue against, it's not only embarrassing but dehumanizes your fellow, uh. yosposter. well that already sounds undignified.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

if you don't align 100% with my moral take on the particular ballot on whatever my homestate is, you love joe biden and sexual assault. this is the only take that is valid.

i dont think you think this, oneiros, but this is what your posts reads as.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Beamed posted:

if you don't align 100% with my moral take on the particular ballot on whatever my homestate is, you love joe biden and sexual assault. this is the only take that is valid.

i dont think you think this, oneiros, but this is what your posts reads as.

i would never ague that people who don't agree 100% with my choices on california's (to be specific) ballot are idiots. the drat thing is chock full with hard choices and lovely propositions that offer one-step-forward and x steps back. my final decisions have diverged significantly from multiple organizations and people whose opinions i value and i don't hold that against them at all.

i will argue that, if you've taken even a cursory glance at joe biden's history and his campaign so far this year, if you think he's a significant improvement in any way then you're a loving rube

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Oneiros posted:

i would never ague that people who don't agree 100% with my choices on california's (to be specific) ballot are idiots. the drat thing is chock full with hard choices and lovely propositions that offer one-step-forward and x steps back. my final decisions have diverged significantly from multiple organizations and people whose opinions i value and i don't hold that against them at all.

i will argue that, if you've taken even a cursory glance at joe biden's history and his campaign so far this year, if you think he's a significant improvement in any way then you're a loving rube

i dont think that's even up for debate, even if significant is something some communities i cant speak for might want to weigh in on. however, i think you'd agree that it is an improvement, and...

i'll be blunt and a little vulnerable here. any improvement at all would be really nice. i dont think biden will provide that by improving things, but i think he'll stall the "wake up tomorrow and things are way worse in numerousn ways" thing.

and that's not, like, a vote to be proud of or whatever. but i think the idea it's being a rube is lovely and dumb, just because yeah. the system is entirely broken and we're all doomed. but the vast majority of folks will be trying within the system for as long as they're a system, and that's just the fault of the plutocrats

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oneiros posted:

i don't think biden is going to be the improvement people think he is.

who? which people are thinking/saying this?

my favorite thing would be for bernie to be president and AOC get nancy pelosi's job and mitch mcconnell dies of sonic diarrhea. but i'm not going to get my favorite thing any time soon. in the meantime, biden will be an improvement over trump. that's good enough for the next week. then we can work on the next steps.

you've got, well, it's not quite a straw man because there definitely are people in the world who think that having someone with a blue tie in the white house means everything is okay and we can stop fighting. but i really don't think a single person in here has said that. you're just talking to people saying "i'm eating poo poo with water because it's better than plain poo poo, which is literally the only other possibility right now" and accusing them of being morally impure for not going on hunger strike or whatever and it's just a real weenie move.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 1, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

who? which people are thinking/saying this?

my favorite thing would be for bernie to be president and AOC get nancy pelosi's job and mitch mcconnell dies of sonic diarrhea. but i'm not going to get my favorite thing any time soon. in the meantime, biden will be an improvement over trump. that's good enough for the next week. then we can work on the next steps.

you've got, well, it's not quite a straw man because there definitely are people in the world who think that having someone with a blue tie in the white house means everything is okay and we can stop fighting. but i really don't think a single person in here has said that. you're just talking to people saying "i'm eating poo poo with water because it's better than plain poo poo, which is literally the only other possibility right now" and accusing them of being morally impure or whatever and it's just a real weenie move.

tbf this all kicked off with a guy calling us morally impure for voting third party

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oneiros posted:

this is where you're an idiot. you can't think of a single way in which biden is a significant improvement over trump? not loving one? what kind of south park bullshit is that?

biden isn't great, he isn't even really good, but he also is not a literal white supremacist calling openly for domestic terrorists to murder half the american population. jesus

fart simpson posted:

tbf this all kicked off with a guy calling us morally impure for voting third party

it's purity tests all the way down

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

this is where you're an idiot. you can't think of a single way in which biden is a significant improvement over trump? not loving one? what kind of south park bullshit is that?

biden isn't great, he isn't even really good, but he also is not a literal white supremacist calling openly for domestic terrorists to murder half the american population. jesus

i don't view the guy who obscures his white supremacists views behind bullshit as less dangerous than the guy who openly endorses it. in fact, i view him as more dangerous.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

biden is a white supremacist who calls for the state imprisoning and disenfranchising minorities and was vp during the biggest destruction of black wealth in modern american history

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

he’s also been a key figure in the deaths of millions of brown people across the middle east and latin america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, Trump has better foreign policy than Biden, and it’s entirely due to incompetence, laziness, cowardice and personal greed (instead of the usual imperial-style greed for resources).

Like imagine how much worse things would be if the dude had branched out into oil & gas instead of just real estate, yeesh.

Remember when he ordered the assassination of that super popular Iranian general in order to boost some flagging popularity and the US generals were violating Iranian airspace afterwards trying to prod and get a response and start their precious war they wanted so much but then Trump called it all off because he didn’t actually care and didn’t want to do hard things? Good times.