Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Might be worth noting that the horse maintains what your pace is when going into cinematic camera. It won't start going to the destination from a stop or even if it's going too slow. This also means if it's at a full gallop it'll stay there and often get worn out quickly.

It's also prone to running into other riders and wagons on the road, so it's best to stay in the room or whatever. Like it's great for checking your phone or just taking a break from actively controlling the horse, but I wouldn't expect it to make it across the map without incident while you do something like taking out the trash or making a sandwich. It's possible but last time I tried it online I came back to a "you were mauled by a cougar" screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

ahobday posted:

Anything for Genshin Impact?

Let's assume I'm happy to spend some money if necessary, or at the right time.

Is there anything I should be aiming for, or any gotchas I should watch out for in the progression?

You get some free characters as you progress through the story, so you'll eventually have enough coverage of the elements.

Using elements in tandem with each other is how you end up doing a ton of damage later on. As an example, the MC has a wind move that can spread fire around and light everything up.

As you get far enough in Adventurer Rank, you'll get access to more things to do like daily commissions and more things to buy from the shops.

If you want more stamina, you have to go looking for some collectibles to give to the big statues in order to increase it.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
May I know who wrote the tips on Sundered? I have defeated 3 minibosses now, and I still got absolutely 0 idea on where the "Parry Missiles" skill is. Since the tree is not revealed at all at the start. Now I'm just afraid of messing my skills up.

Also, you should probably highlight more on the possibly missable furnace area. On my 1st playthrough currently I absolutely missed it, so I thought I was doing something wrong completely when I can only "corrupt" stuff. Have to spend some time googling before I got the idea where the furnace it, and the rng map certainly doesn't help.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

srulz posted:

May I know who wrote the tips on Sundered? I have defeated 3 minibosses now, and I still got absolutely 0 idea on where the "Parry Missiles" skill is. Since the tree is not revealed at all at the start. Now I'm just afraid of messing my skills up.

Also, you should probably highlight more on the possibly missable furnace area. On my 1st playthrough currently I absolutely missed it, so I thought I was doing something wrong completely when I can only "corrupt" stuff. Have to spend some time googling before I got the idea where the furnace it, and the rng map certainly doesn't help.

It's called Salvation's Rebuke but I can't find a list of skill locations so I'm afraid I don't know where on the tree it is.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have never played a Sims game, and my Sister-in-Law has literally everything for it, all the expansion packs, story packs, stuff packs, and whatever the hell else, so she says. It's apparently like 600$ worth of poo poo.

She let me use her account to play it, because she wants me to get into it, but I've never played Sims 4.

What's some stuff to know about going in.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

It's a dollhouse more than a game. Make people, make them have various relationships with each other, that's it. I'd bet most people either turn aging off or mod it so adult stages last more than like a month.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Delete pool ladders while people are swimming in them, also, read up on "The Painting Goblin".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've never played the sims but I'm grateful it exists to give us things like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BRSus9eU10

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Boba Pearl posted:

What's some stuff to know about going in.

One thing I used to do was search that Sim database that lets you download other peoples Sims into your game and fill my town with the best celebrity lookalikes i could find

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Started playing Zelda Minish Cap and I have one quick question:

I can start fusing Kinstones. Is there anything to watch out for, like using up kinstones on wrong combinations/people, that can lock me out of any rewards, or will I be able to get them all eventually anyway?

(Yes I know about the bug in the EU version.)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 24, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I don't remember there being anything like that, beyond the inherent trade-off of spending kinstones on side quest X when you might also need them for side quest Y. Worth noting that kinstones come in three tiers, where greens are common as hell and will almost never do anything worthwhile, blues might be good, and reds are the most important and will usually be the ones to trigger side quest stuff.

If you're an absolute completionist you will suffer thanks to needing to farm kinstone drops as well as the shells to trade in for figurines.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I don't remember there being anything like that, beyond the inherent trade-off of spending kinstones on side quest X when you might also need them for side quest Y. Worth noting that kinstones come in three tiers, where greens are common as hell and will almost never do anything worthwhile, blues might be good, and reds are the most important and will usually be the ones to trigger side quest stuff.

If you're an absolute completionist you will suffer thanks to needing to farm kinstone drops as well as the shells to trade in for figurines.

Understood. So kinstones aren't a strictly limited resource and I can always (eventually?) get more of whichever ones I need, just at the price of grinding?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Correct, you can always generate more.

I'm also now vaguely recalling that depending on what order you do certain things in, there are a few places you can miss out on kinstone events, but I think by design they're also all green tier so at worst you miss out on a chest with 50 rupees in it and not anything critical.

There's probably a GameFAQs guide that breaks all of that nonsense down, now that I think of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The one exception are golden stones, but those are plot-only, so you can safely ignore them for everything else.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
OK, so I can stop sweating over the issue and just play normally. Thanks.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Here’s a handful of tips for Deadly Premonition 2 as I just finished it last night:

Obvious for anyone who’s played a game in the last decade or so, but make sure you patch the game right away. The frame rate was insanely bad at launch, and there were even more bugs. Game is still extremely janky but much more playable post-patches.

Unfortunately, unlike the first game the side quests are much less interesting and have mediocre rewards. Several are still bugged as well. Most will just give you crafting items and consumables, and the game isn’t hard enough to warrant engaging with the upgrade system that deeply. Danny and Galena’s quests are fairly painless and provide a small bit of story so those are worth doing.

Thankfully fast travel isn’t locked behind a side quest this time around, you’ll get it fairly early on just progressing the story.

The stamps that you get for completing various mini-achievements (kill x amount of each enemy type, etc.) are how you unlock extra suits for York. Unfortunately they’re very grindy and I believe it takes around 40 stamps per suit. I only ended up unlocking one in my entire play through.

In the present day segments you can use the L button to activate concentration mode to see what objects will progress the story, I recommend doing those last as some of the best incidental dialogue in the game occurs in these sections by clicking the optional points of interest.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Pierzak posted:

OK, so I can stop sweating over the issue and just play normally. Thanks.

Nobody mentioned the fact that a late-game item is, unusually for Zelda, permanently missable? Basically, early on in the game, when you have the Gust Jar item, fusing Kinstones will open a teleporter to a far corner of the map, and you need to do a thing there. If you don't because, say, you were saving your Kinstones for a big fusing spree much later in the game, you've failed the quest. I'm being deliberately vague here, but knowing that it's the teleporting thing and the item involved should be enough. If you want a guide to what exactly to do, google this phrase (will spoil the item/quest involved): Minish Cap light arrows old man

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Panic Restaurant posted:

Here’s a handful of tips for Deadly Premonition 2 as I just finished it last night:

Obvious for anyone who’s played a game in the last decade or so, but make sure you patch the game right away. The frame rate was insanely bad at launch, and there were even more bugs. Game is still extremely janky but much more playable post-patches.

Unfortunately, unlike the first game the side quests are much less interesting and have mediocre rewards. Several are still bugged as well. Most will just give you crafting items and consumables, and the game isn’t hard enough to warrant engaging with the upgrade system that deeply. Danny and Galena’s quests are fairly painless and provide a small bit of story so those are worth doing.

Thankfully fast travel isn’t locked behind a side quest this time around, you’ll get it fairly early on just progressing the story.

The stamps that you get for completing various mini-achievements (kill x amount of each enemy type, etc.) are how you unlock extra suits for York. Unfortunately they’re very grindy and I believe it takes around 40 stamps per suit. I only ended up unlocking one in my entire play through.

In the present day segments you can use the L button to activate concentration mode to see what objects will progress the story, I recommend doing those last as some of the best incidental dialogue in the game occurs in these sections by clicking the optional points of interest.

This isn't quite BIP, but I watched a buddy play the very beginning and I'm curious about something- wtf was the deal with Zach freaking out when the agents touched the triangular clean spot on his table and screaming incoherently about not violating his sanctuary? Was that ever explained?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I wrote some more tips for State of Decay 2 and worked the current ones into them:

As of Update #21 (October 2020) you can use three difficulty sliders instead of set difficulties. The first two sliders (Action & Community) can be changed in-game whenever you want, but for the third one (Map) the game will need to refresh the entire map. Apparently you keep everyone and everything in your community, but you start back at your very first base and will have to rebuild it.

The "Standard Zone" difficulty is fine at the start, but eventually becomes rather dull. The "Dread Zone" difficulty is more exciting, but might be a bit too much at the beginning. A better solution is thus to go with Action: Standard, Community: Standard and Map: Dread and move the difficulty sliders when you are comfortable to handle a bigger challenge (for example: some time after moving to a second, bigger base).

Guns will draw every zed from a mile around if you use them without a silencer, so only use them in life-or-death situations. The major exception is human enemies, as they are very durable to melee but can go down with one headshot.

Survivors you are not controlling don't need ammunition in their inventory to use ranged weapons. Make sure that any crossbow you give them has at least one bolt equipped, otherwise they might get stuck doing the same reload animation over and over again.

Depending on your difficulty, cars can run over a hundred zeds OR the hood will already start smoking after a dozen. Smashing into rocks and other terrain doesn't help either. It is recommended to stick to the roads; driving close to scavenge points is tempting but it's very easy to get your car jammed on some errant ground debris, requiring you to use the "Stuck?" radio command to set it free.

It is hard to end up with a base that is self sufficient, so use outposts to get a drip feed of whatever resources you are using the most of. Construction materials to start, ammo and medicine later. As your base gets more and more survivors, you may want a lot of food. You can free up outposts slots by going to them on the Base screen.

Besides resources, each outpost will also give you access to your storage locker. If you set up an outpost in a remote area with lots of nearby buildings you can quickly go back and forth without having to constantly ride back to your base. Each outpost will also have a certain radius in which no new zombies will spawn.

Eventually you will come to the point where you'll have way more rucksacks with resources than you can put into storage without wasting them. Those excess rucksacks are best stored in cars you park near your base. Vehicles that are great for this purpose are Vans or the Brogan Trekker, since they have trunk space for 8 items.

Have a mission where you need to eliminate all zombies in an area and can't find the last ones? Be sure to check the roof of the building you are it, because sometimes they will bug out and spawn on the outside instead of the inside.

The way you complete a campaign is to remove all the Plague Heart infestations on the map and then do the Legacy missions (those involve whoever you picked as leader of your community).

Once you have finished a campaign, you can add your survivors to a pool of characters. When starting a new game you will have the option to skip the tutorial and pick 3 characters from that pool. They retain their stats and inventory. You may consider filling their inventory slots with items before you finish the campaign, because the game will explicitly tell you what the point of no return is.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 30, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Anything for Front Mission 4?

Not really, it's pretty straight forward

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

I wrote some more tips for State of Decay 2 and worked the current ones into them:

I updated the wiki.

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
I've just finished Sundered with 100% percentage on the Resist path without actually referring to any guides etc, so this is the sign of a very good game IMHO. Anyway, I would like to rewrite the current tips for that game, especially because there's 1 tip in particular which is incorrect: Salvation's Rebuke choice is only unlocked once you've gotten the 2nd area's power ups, which are multiple hours into the game. Saving up shards specifically to get it is just gimping your character for no reason.

1. Anytime you are not sure where to go, refer to the map for the blinking squares. Those signify the unexplored rooms, and barring certain exceptions, you can usually explore them immediately.

2. The overall map itself is actually fixed, with the RNG being the small paths going from blocks to blocks. So the only thing you are potentially missing if you don't beeline straight for the blinking squares are the random treasures, which will be mitigated by a skill later in the game showing all those treasures clearly in your map.

3. There are some areas with dark red title & including "Endless Hordes" in the description, this means that enemy hordes just won't stop appearing no matter how many you killed, so get a move on there. Usually there are some strong perks to be unlocked in that area, and as long as you follow the blinking squares, you shouldn't miss them.

4. Even though the costs of the upgrade tree goes up and up, the shards you are getting from enemy hordes also goes up exponentially as you do the later areas of the game. So don't worry about getting stuck of not being able to upgrade your abilities, you will always have enough to do it.

5. You can attack upwards at the peak of your jump to get a little bit more height, and if you hit any enemies during your jump, you'll be able to jump again, hence making you be able to essentially go up a lot higher than you are supposed to. This is very useful in going to certain optional areas ahead of time.

6. Shrines are always shown on map with an alien head symbol, so you'll never miss out on those. They represent your main Metroidvania abilities, namely to unlock those orange padlocks area.

7. Each area has 3 minibosses & 1 main boss, with the minibosses giving Elder Shards Fragments (3 of those combined to 1), and the main boss giving 1 Elder Shard. So you should be able to get a "max" of 2 Elder Shards from each area. There are 3 more Elder Shards Fragments scattered around the world, which can be shown on the map as well using the previous skill showing all the treasures in the map.

8. You can resist/embrace each of the Elder Shards. To resist, you need to bring the Elder Shard to the Incinerator somewhere near to your starting area of the game, left-side. It will show a Flame icon on the map once you've discovered that room. To embrace, you just need to bring the Elder Shard to any of your already unlocked Shrines.

9. Resisting will grant you new skills in the perk tree in a linear manner, while Embracing will transform specifically the chosen shrine's ability to a better one.

10. There are 7 Elder Shards in all. If you want 100% achievements, you just need to do 2 full runs. 1st run is all-in on 1 path either Resist or Embrace, and the 2nd run is you keep the final Elder Shard without doing anything with it and fighting the final boss to get the neutral ending. Once that is done, you load back your game save & deal with the final Elder Shard before proceeding to fight the boss again.

srulz fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 31, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Anything for Death Stranding? Wiki is sparse. Specifically: Some very talkative man gave me a clear "this is a point of no return, finish everything up" speech before sending me to a nearby Port to cross a lake. I'm on chapter 2, so I doubt this is really a point of no return, unless this is Tutorial Island.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If he's sending you to Port Knot City then the game is warning you because a major boss fight should be waiting for you there.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Also, you are away from that beginning area for quite a while. You will be able to come back eventually.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, thanks. So nothing missable but I won't be back for a while, got it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think only a handful of things are really, truly permanently missable at all. Most of these are fetch quests that fall off the roster because the character offering them ceases to be available due to story reasons. You'll be 20+ hours into the game and at the real point of no return (or, at least, point-after-which-begins-the-postgame) before that really becomes relevant.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

If he's sending you to Port Knot City then the game is warning you because a major boss fight should be waiting for you there.

That was a thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No kidding. That really comes out of nowhere like crazy.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Fat Samurai posted:

Anything for Death Stranding? Wiki is sparse. Specifically: Some very talkative man gave me a clear "this is a point of no return, finish everything up" speech before sending me to a nearby Port to cross a lake. I'm on chapter 2, so I doubt this is really a point of no return, unless this is Tutorial Island.

You wont' be able to go back to that first area for a while unless you rush through the story for a bit to unlock the fast travel system(and even then i wouldn't really worry about going back there until you want to 5 star every location, which will be easier with the gear you unlock via the plot). The only true point of no return is near the very end of the game and it will be very obvious when that is, once you past that you aren't able to freely roam around until after the ending and credits.

If there is one thing i would recommend you do, is do the main plot until you unlock the ability to make and drive Trucks, bikes are good but Trucks can hold so much more cargo and makes getting over rivers much easier than a bike.

E:beaten by a lot of people, i type slow :v:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Spoiler for The Dark Anthologies: Little Hope that avoids a bad mechanic, if you want to get a full party save the first time through:

Look on the stats page for characters for "locked" personality traits. You should work to "unlock" these traits by doing the opposite of the trait before the end of the game, because if you don't the character will be instantly killed with no recourse regardless of how well you played the previous sections. It isn't like previous games where "X is a coward and ran so Y dies", it straight up says "these were not unlocked so X dies now"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 1, 2020

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Just started South Park: The Fractured But Whole on PC. I have 3 questions:

I don't really get the toilet minigame. I'm pressing the buttons indicated really fast but don't know what the meters are for or if I'm doing well or not. I randomly seem to get scores of "OK", or "Nice job", etc.
Any missables?
I have the season pass - when should I be looking to do the DLC content?

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 1, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fat Samurai posted:

The wiki says to postpone sidecontent to Chapter 3, but I do think this really should be changed to Chapter 5. It doesn't take that much longer, and you actually unlock your full range of traversal tools to get around the countryside with. Notably Trucks and Ziplines.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vidaeus posted:

Just started South Park: The Fractured But Whole on PC. I have 3 questions:

I don't really get the toilet minigame. I'm pressing the buttons indicated really fast but don't know what the meters are for or if I'm doing well or not. I randomly seem to get scores of "OK", or "Nice job", etc.
Any missables?
I have the season pass - when should I be looking to do the DLC content?

The toilets seem to only exist as a collectable achievement for doing them all.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Spelunky 2
- If you've played the first Spelunky, parts of this one will seem very familiar (including many of the secrets.) To wit:
- ABC: Always Be Carrying. Whenever possible, you should be carrying something. A rock, an arrow, a jar, even a skull, in a pinch. Not only can it be used to trigger arrow traps, you can throw it to hit far-off enemies that might cause problems later.
- It's almost always worth it to use a bomb or a rope to get a box, and it is always worth it to use a bomb or a rope to skip a difficult section you suspect will cost you at least one heart.
- You can walk through spikes, or crawl-drop down onto them if you're exactly one square above them. Falling down even a single square onto them will kill you in any other circumstances. (Unless you're gliding with a cape or a turkey.)
- Live sacrifices are worth more than dead ones.
- Difference from the first game: Bugs will no longer set off or block arrow traps.
- Keep an eye out for doors, sometimes there are secrets (small and large), and they can blend in with the background if you don't know what to look for.
- In parts of the dungeon with multiple branches, which you enter depends on which door you use.
- Once you've beaten the main game a few times, decide for yourself if you want to look up how to get to the bonus boss, or figure it out yourself. It's a bit of a process, though, and will involve a lot of experimentation, and a lot of dying.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 1, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

pentyne posted:

The toilets seem to only exist as a collectable achievement for doing them all.
Plus if you really want you can turn on the accessibility assistance thing in the options menu and just hold down a single key to pass them all perfectly. I have to say, it is pretty rad that "people who cannot be arsed" and "people who literally cannot" can come together under this setting

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anything for Persona 2: Innocent Sin (the PSP release)?

Edit: I'm dumb, there's a wiki entry already.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 1, 2020

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is it just me, or was there a wiki page for Seiken Densetsu 3? The original, not the remake.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pierzak posted:

Is it just me, or was there a wiki page for Seiken Densetsu 3? The original, not the remake.

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Secret_Of_Mana_2

That is the fan name for SD3 from back in the day.

Stuff that could redirect to that page:
Secret of Mana 2
Seiken Densetsu 3
Trials of Mana

With a line: "For tips on the modern remake, go to Trials of Mana (2020)" or however you phrase that kind of thing.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The new Trials Of Mana game should probably get dibs on that name, since it seems Seiken Densetsu 3 didn't really got a proper translation for the longest time and when it did, it was as Secret of Mana 2, Final Fantasy style.