Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Sophie Aldred has done a ton of work in children's TV over the years, and like a lot of the Doctor Who cast, a lot of voice over stuff.

I remember reading that because Anthony Ainley was quite independently wealthy, he did acting in the 80s for fun, rather than needing it for an income. Apparently he'd phone up the Doctor Who production office before the start of each series and ask if they needed him for shooting. If he was told that he was going to be sent a script, he'd do the Master laugh and hang up. Not sure how true that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Bicyclops posted:

I'd do a Fallout 4 run using an Ace character and focus on melee, build baseball bats, and go after mutants, except that the very idea of her marrying a man is completely preposterous.

I love the anecdote that Rona Munro was once asked about the lesbian subtext in Survival and she basically said “oh, there was no ‘sub’ about it”.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

OldMemes posted:

Sophie Aldred has done a ton of work in children's TV over the years, and like a lot of the Doctor Who cast, a lot of voice over stuff.

I remember reading that because Anthony Ainley was quite independently wealthy, he did acting in the 80s for fun, rather than needing it for an income. Apparently he'd phone up the Doctor Who production office before the start of each series and ask if they needed him for shooting. If he was told that he was going to be sent a script, he'd do the Master laugh and hang up. Not sure how true that is.

I think truth doesn't matter in this case, that is absolutely what happened now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

OldMemes posted:

That doesn't even sound that far-fetched or weird, like if he's the one calling to ask if they need him, it makes sense he'd kind of have an in-joke sign off to give the production staff a laugh. Routines can be fun.

TinTower posted:

I love the anecdote that Rona Munro was once asked about the lesbian subtext in Survival and she basically said “oh, there was no ‘sub’ about it”.

lol yeah. She imagined the costumes and make up to be a lot different too, it would have been hammered home even more.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Payndz posted:

I was weirded out to realise that in some lovely CBeebies cartoon my son watched Sophie Aldred voiced the ten-year-old boy lead, with annoying sidekick David Tennant. :stare:

Tree-Fu Tom? Yeah - that combo of voice acting is a strange one.

Also, I believe the boy in the live-action segments that bookend the cartoon is Aldred’s real-life son.

I’d love to see Ace back in the New Series - that teaser of her with A Charitable Earth (advertising a box set, I think?) made it seem a real possibility.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

quote:

“When my wife and I go for a spin, I drive to Tenterden [in Kent] and – we don’t sob exactly – but it gets solemn as we catch a glimpse of the hardware store, and Boots, and Waitrose, and then we turn round and come home again. Then I go down to the paradise of my woods and think: ‘Well, eventually it will pass.’ Another voice, of course, says: ‘Yes, but by then you’ll be gone.’”

:(

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/oct/30/tom-baker-being-loved-pleases-me-very-much-indeed

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Always a good excuse for me to post the best scene ever in Moffat's DW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cbQVfVfSrI

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGuduDsKDUw

"That's what every city needs: cats in charge."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Latest random story was The Ark (which is only an ark in space rather than the ark in space), which is solidly middle tier. The first half of the story is generally good - the world building is well done, the monoids are a well realised alien, the threat a society threatened with extinction by a coronavirus - and the cliffhanger is of course fantastic, one of the best, as are the special effects for the time. (Dodo listing all the animals in what seems like a last gasp attempt to have some educational content, on the other hand, could have been cut for time)

The second half isn't so strong, though; the monoids are reduced to the monster of the week (although they do have some nice conflict between them, ala the silurians), the humans become far too homogeneous, the invisible creatures (an invisible enemy) don't really go anywhere. It feels like it either needed to be an episode shorter or two longer; still, nothing too offensive.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is that the one where Dodo's cold is the cause of the whole thing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I love the first half of the Ark and, as mentioned, the cliffhanger in the middle is loving superb, but it does kind of just become a standard story after that and doesn't really live up to the quality of the first half.

There's a lot of upbeat stuff in the article too though, and I loved this:

quote:

Being the Doctor is, perhaps, something of a life sentence?

“A life sentence? Condemned to being happy? Condemned to rounds of applause? Condemned to being smiled at? It’s really not a bad destiny, is it?”

Hell yeah, Tom.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Latest random story was The Ark (which is only an ark in space rather than the ark in space), which is solidly middle tier. The first half of the story is generally good - the world building is well done, the monoids are a well realised alien, the threat a society threatened with extinction by a coronavirus - and the cliffhanger is of course fantastic, one of the best, as are the special effects for the time. (Dodo listing all the animals in what seems like a last gasp attempt to have some educational content, on the other hand, could have been cut for time)

The second half isn't so strong, though; the monoids are reduced to the monster of the week (although they do have some nice conflict between them, ala the silurians), the humans become far too homogeneous, the invisible creatures (an invisible enemy) don't really go anywhere. It feels like it either needed to be an episode shorter or two longer; still, nothing too offensive.

Hot Take: The Mondasian Ship in "World Enough/Doctor Falls" was also a human Ark, which had a horrible end.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!
I liked how Tom said in that interview (and he's said it elsewhere, too) that one of the things he loved about playing the Doctor was that he was basically just playing himself, albeit with a touch more heroism. :3:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We really don't deserve him :allears:

...Don't get any ideas, 2020

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

There's a lot of upbeat stuff in the article too though, and I loved this:

Hell yeah, Tom.

Even that one depressing bit is just a comment among "Well, I'm mostly unaffected, because I have a beautiful garden, and a wife and cats." It's just sort of a hit to the gut when even Uncle T-Bakes gets a little maudlin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

"and cats."

The good life :hai:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A artist and writer new to Big Finish has been raising money for the charity Fareshare when this happened:

https://twitter.com/sophilestweets/status/1322579327326834689?s=20

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Davros1 posted:

A artist and writer new to Big Finish has been raising money for the charity Fareshare when this happened:

https://twitter.com/sophilestweets/status/1322579327326834689?s=20

Good on Chibbers. :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That rules :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's nice to know he's a good person.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, that's just a nice thing to do. Good. :)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb57A9xFwtQ

Ah, trailers whose ratios skip from 4:3 to 16:9 because the material's from before the change from analog to digital
Gotta love 'em

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The NY Times has produced this wonderful, if very confusing graphic for this article:

https://vp.nyt.com/video/2020/10/30/89587_1_00SOCIAL-ELECTIONS_wg_1080p.mp4

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bob Baker's going to be after them ...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Which one is Mk I?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/hayleycampbell/status/1323589988462796800?s=20

McGann is cancelled.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1323678829781667841?s=20
https://twitter.com/ManningOfficial/status/1323744984269545473?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 3, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1323686606822346752

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/4SylvesterMcCoy/status/1323755959379021824?s=20

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL, Sylv, master at Sylvester McCoy trivia! :D

Also digging the idea that Nyssa finally gets to confront the Master about her father. After having, you know, never mentioned it the other 12 times she saw him on the show...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm positive there is at least one televised episode where she tells him how much she hates seeing him in that body? Or maybe it was just in a Big Finish story?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I'm positive there is at least one televised episode where she tells him how much she hates seeing him in that body? Or maybe it was just in a Big Finish story?

She brought it up once in the TV show I know, but it might have been right after he stole it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's definitely a contender for most baffling decision in Doctor Who history, basically ignoring the fact that the Master is walking around in the body of Nyssa's father.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rochallor posted:

It's definitely a contender for most baffling decision in Doctor Who history, basically ignoring the fact that the Master is walking around in the body of Nyssa's father.

I'm pretty sure after Keeper of Traken they never even acknowledge the fact that he's in a non-Gallifreyan, non-regenerating body onscreen. He's just "The Doctor's Arch Enemy, another Time Lord" and they don't expect anyone to remember the continuity because 80s TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Big Finish have studiously avoided referencing the relationship too, for whatever reason.

I think it's alluded to in Psychodrome and Circular Time, which both feature manifestations of the Tremas Master which aren't, in themselves, The Actual Tremas Master. But this will be the first straight up interaction the two have.

(That said, I've not heard The Toy.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nyssa spends part of Logopolis thinking the Master is Tremas.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

I'm pretty sure after Keeper of Traken they never even acknowledge the fact that he's in a non-Gallifreyan, non-regenerating body onscreen. He's just "The Doctor's Arch Enemy, another Time Lord" and they don't expect anyone to remember the continuity because 80s TV.

In The Five Doctors the Time Lords offer to give him a new set of regenerations.

And then in the BF audio Dust Breeding, it's outright stated that the Tremas body was destroyed when the Tremas Master attempted to steal the living weapon The Warp Core.

Speaking of THE MASTER

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1324351260204494848?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 5, 2020

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It's so utterly bizarre and quite impressive that they got Eric Roberts back.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

OldMemes posted:

It's so utterly bizarre and quite impressive that they got Eric Roberts back.

If you look at his iMDB page, you'd see it's not impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

If you look at his iMDB page, you'd see it's not impressive.