Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Voting for down-ballot stuff is nice. This year we’ve got all sorts of positive local and regional stuff on the ballot and voting for them has been downright enjoyable!

Voting in the presidential race doesn’t matter unless you live in PA this time, and even then only so much. I’m voting green this time to give their numbers a small nudge in the right direction and help keep it clear that in Oregon the progressive bloc is a substantial one so that for state races the party takes more heed (not applicable for the national presidential race, as again the votes for that really don’t matter so they might as well not even count).

Knowing that your vote for president doesn’t count and still voting for and thus personally endorsing the senile rapist is disgusting, there’s absolutely no excuse. All we can do is hope that anyone IIT that did feels enough shame to stop posting in the presence of their moral betters and actually read and learn and really internalize things so they don’t do such a lovely thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
y'all going full c-spam posting wrt the value of electoralism

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I want texas to go blue so bad because the whining will be immense

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
people are losing their loving minds (moreso than usual)

https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/1322892027390959620?s=20

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

akadajet posted:

I want texas to go blue so bad because the whining will be immense

this is one of the main reasons i voted seven times for joe biden

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
also on the way out the door i asked if they had any republican ballots i could destroy and they gave me a ryder van full of republican votes and I drove it into a river and set fire to the river

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
didn’t the states republicans already get like ten thousand ballots from houston tossed

texas won’t go blue lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Oneiros posted:

i will argue that, if you've taken even a cursory glance at joe biden's history and his campaign so far this year, if you think he's a significant improvement in any way then you're a loving rube

this is stupid as hell when the alternative is donald trump.

sorry bro, the truth hurts. trump is actually worse.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

bump_fn posted:

didn’t the states republicans already get like ten thousand ballots from houston tossed

texas won’t go blue lol

flipping the T*xas house in a year prior to redistricting is the actual realistic goal. that’s entirely possible at this point and it would markedly weaken republican control here for the next decade.

T*xas is usually near the lowest turnout of all states, and we passed turnout from 2016 before the last day of early voting this year. young people are actually angry and showing up at the polls.

some of that will be an acceleration of early voting due to the normal shifting toward early voting that happens every year, and some due to the pandemic, but i still think that’s a good sign overall.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fortaleza posted:

Knowing that your vote for president doesn’t count and still voting for and thus personally endorsing the senile rapist is disgusting, there’s absolutely no excuse. All we can do is hope that anyone IIT that did feels enough shame to stop posting in the presence of their moral betters and actually read and learn and really internalize things so they don’t do such a lovely thing again.

eat my entire rear end.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im probably not going to even vote

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bump_fn posted:

texas won’t go blue lol

yes, it's still in process. except it's 100k votes and a notoriously conservative judge is hearing the case

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1322602843661021184

i voted early, third party in a state biden will carry no matter what. went with gloria la riva, i like her platform mostly

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm a canadian so i don't really know these things, but don't a lot of states have down ballot stuff that actually matters to your community? like, electing a sherif or state ordenances, that kind of thing? such that even if you're not looking to make sophie's choice re: the president, some of the things you can vote on may actually matter?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1322724403579396096

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

i'm a canadian so i don't really know these things, but don't a lot of states have down ballot stuff that actually matters to your community? like, electing a sherif or state ordenances, that kind of thing? such that even if you're not looking to make sophie's choice re: the president, some of the things you can vote on may actually matter?

typically they do, though ballots and local elections vary considerably depending on where you are. i spent the most time on my ballot looking up local candidates and deciding which one(s) i thought would do the best job. refreshingly, where i'm at is still doing fairly well, and most of those choices were between better and best, not which would be less terrible. for example we get to vote on justices of the peace who do weddings and small claims court, and i had several dozen pretty good choices for 15 votes. which was nice

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

yes you should 1000% show up and vote. arguing about joe biden is dumb bullshit that doesn’t actually matter. the presidential vote means very little in most states but the down ballot and local stuff i got to vote for this year are:

wendy davis for US rep

a local train expansion and subway tunnel in austin

re-electing county sheriff sally herndandez who is running on a strong history of telling governor abbott to go gently caress himself

more money for bike paths in austin

local community college and school board governance

and a long list of other local and regional judges and things that actually matter to people in and around austin.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

depends which state, county, etc

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

wendy davis' filibuster on the texas statehouse floor was fabulous

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i mean, biden isn't going to fix everything, but trump will make things worse. it sucks that we have a two-party system. i'm glad people are voting, though, regardless of whether they're voting joe because more participation is always better.

i'm leaving soon to go poll watch to make sure no one is loving around. i did this in 2018 and it was relatively chill. i wasn't going to this year because i don't want to volunteer for a democratic party that doesn't represent me, but after the bullshit in tx yesterday i'm not going to stay at home. shaved my loving beard off today so i could get a good seal on my n95.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

biden will still make things worse, just not quite so quickly. the dems winning is a necessary condition to getting on the path to a functioning nation, but not a sufficient one or cause for complacency. it's an opportunity to breathe a sigh of relief that there will be respite from current conditions if we really work at it on an ongoing basis

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hell yes Xenomorph - Facehugger 2020

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the only real upside to a biden win is owning the chuds but they're just gonna say that it was fraud

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Beamed posted:

okay i really get your reaction, i promise i understand, but it is also correct people's votes are literally disenfranchised in innumerable ways. ffs, when i lived in chicago people bragged about how i lived like sardines so deserved less voting power

I’ve seen this exact talking point and it makes zero sense lol

“People in the cities live packed in like sardines and their votes shouldn’t count the same as ours”

The wording is always the same so I’m assuming Tucker Carlson said it or something.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’ve seen this exact talking point and it makes zero sense lol

“People in the cities live packed in like sardines and their votes shouldn’t count the same as ours”

The wording is always the same so I’m assuming Tucker Carlson said it or something.

derived from the days of land ownership = votes, except few of those chuds actually own much and/or they can't articulate it at all?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

psiox posted:

if you want to be caremad, put it into something else

i'm not being figurative or cute here- if you have energy, just go gently caress yourself instead of defending apathy

I did not and will not reward the democrats for offering me a turd sandwich, sorry.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cold on a Cob posted:

derived from the days of land ownership = votes, except few of those chuds actually own much and/or they can't articulate it at all?

They can’t articulate anything, they’re fed their talking points via Fox or OANN and can’t defend them because they don’t arrive at them organically.

If you ask them to justify their talking points they get super fuckin mad every time lmao

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

I did not and will not reward the democrats for offering me a turd sandwich, sorry.

this isn't shade at you but they absolutely don't give a gently caress about votes from people like you

the arguing about this is hilarious because they're going after centrists and succ-dems and people who barely pay attention to politics

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

bump_fn posted:

texas won’t go blue lol

100k dude

Trump won 2016 by ~70k strategic ballots. Lol

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cold on a Cob posted:

this isn't shade at you but they absolutely don't give a gently caress about votes from people like you

the arguing about this is hilarious because they're going after centrists and succ-dems and people who barely pay attention to politics

Which is dumb as gently caress because Trump voters aren’t voting for policies. They’re voting for hate and racism and all the appealing to them in the world is meaningless

Trump voters are happy to die if it means some black people are miserable

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in 2016 during the debates i dreamed about hillary actually having the spine to correctly answer the "what are you going to do about the coal miners" question that kept popping up.

"Trump's right. I am going to shut down the coal mine. I'm going to shut down that filthy, stinking pit, where you've been getting black lung and your father and grandfather died in choking vapors because a man in a top hat said they had to. And we're going to make sure your bills are paid until the new solar or wind factory is built, and train you for a job there, where you'll be paid well, and you can work in a clean factory with a breakroom and safety measures, building things to help us gain independence from foreign energy supplies. So you'll be able to watch your kids grow up, instead of having them bury you when they're fifteen years old. "

Then I realized that the chuds would rather die in the coal mine rather than give the democrats that win. And that the democrats actually don't want to shut down the coal mine. It's all different now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

flipping the T*xas house in a year prior to redistricting is the actual realistic goal. that’s entirely possible at this point and it would markedly weaken republican control here for the next decade.

prepare to be underwhelmed, because texas has a law that if they can't pass legislative redistricting (say because dems control the texas house and republicans still control the texas senate) then legislative redistricting passes to the Legislative Redistricting Board composed of:

quote:

lieutenant governor, speaker of the house, attorney general, comptroller, and commissioner of the general land office

which will almost certainly still be majority republican, so expect the legislative redistricting maps to continue to be pro-republican

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

President Beep posted:

heck yeah, bring back those coal jobs!

life goal

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

biden's fracking defense was one of the more disturbing points during the debate. oh my god i fuckin' love fracking, my family has cancer from dupont and we love it i just love oil and gas, give me more

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I could see a blue texas but I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon.

This is from a complete outsider but it seems like a more gerrymandered virginia in that all the metropolitan/college areas are blue and the rest of the state is red.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
trufacts i had 20 bucks on blue texas in 2016 lmbo
I don't make predictions any more. i have no idea what's about to happen.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm much more certain there's going to be violence than any certainty about the election result itself

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm much more certain there's going to be violence than any certainty about the election result itself

300% guaranteed. im making a huge grocery order tomorrow and not leaving the house for a week or so. you know that thing in philly where they riot if the eagles win, and they riot if the eagles lose? thats gonna be every cadre of chud F250 pickups next week.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Which is dumb as gently caress because Trump voters aren’t voting for policies. They’re voting for hate and racism and all the appealing to them in the world is meaningless

so are most biden voters, they just aren't as honest about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Broken Machine posted:

biden's fracking defense was one of the more disturbing points during the debate. oh my god i fuckin' love fracking, my family has cancer from dupont and we love it i just love oil and gas, give me more

Range Resources hosed over their leaseholders via cost deduction mechanisms and everyone working in fracking here came from Oklahoma, no one here actually likes fracking. It’s all culture war again