Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It was fine. Meadows is garbage and Glasnow is overrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
(The crime of it was doing absolutely nothing bedsides cut payroll in the 2018-2019 offseason to follow up on it)

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Not great timing with my recent avatar purchase :I

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Vernacular posted:

Not great timing with my recent avatar purchase :I

There is no solidarity but Owners of Small Time Professional Sports Franchises That Led Them Into Bankruptcy Through Sheer Mismanagement solidarity.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

GoatSeeGuy posted:

There is no solidarity but Owners of Small Time Professional Sports Franchises That Led Them Into Bankruptcy Through Sheer Mismanagement solidarity.

lol

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

GalacticAcid posted:

Lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Glad the Pitching Ninja merchant is gone

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

That ended up being an awful, awful trade

Archer was bad in the regular season for a Pirates team that was already bad. Glasnow and Meadows were bad in a postseason where the Rays were good and could have really used those two, but instead they actively hampered their efforts to win.

Maybe Glasnow and Meadows turn it around, but it kinda feels like a wash at this point. :shrug:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

GalacticAcid posted:

:prepop:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tired: Playoff Gershaw

wire: Playoff Glasnow

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kershaw has more than two pitches and a long history of elite play

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Currently terrified that Theo will think he's super clever by bringing Archer home and we'll get to see him put up a 4.50 ERA season with a 3.00 FIP like he does every year while giving up somewhere between "a ton of" an "all of the" HR's in the process, but Cubs pundits will spend the whole season talking about how the peripherals say he's just unlucky while casually ignoring he's underperformed his peripherals literally his entire career.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Don’t worry, I’ve already seen into the future and can confirm that he will go to Milwaukee, pitch in relief, and throw like 70 innings with a 1.12 ERA

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Glasnow seems like a great candidate to get non tendered and sign with the Cardinals then become a hall of famer

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
What in the world

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

Don’t worry, I’ve already seen into the future and can confirm that he will go to Milwaukee, pitch in relief, and throw like 70 innings with a 1.12 ERA

Inshallah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I might switch from the Padres to the Brewers for my NL team now that Braunzo is gonezo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Brewers are legitimately like, twice as likeable now that they've jettisoned Braun. Now all they have to do is get rid of Hader and I will have no more rational reasons to dislike them.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It is time to talk about Pedro Martinez. I'm so glad I don't have to count him among the all-time great pitchers that I never saw, because they were before my time.

I mean, we have the 1999 All-Star-Game:

Unfortunately this video is missing a couple ABs but you get the point:

https://youtu.be/CD_c-oawu68

He was ferocious. He pitched one of the best statistical seasons we've ever seen, then did it again the next year, and this was in the PED era. This guy is about 5'10" and weighed maybe 180 lbs soaking wet, at the time, and was making these monsters look like Bugs Bunny.

How, you ask? Well, his fastball was not the best one of his time, but combined with his delivery his arm speed and arm angle, was more than adequate, and he had great control (and to be fair, also got those Maddux strikes):

https://youtu.be/0aZDn-2Ugwo

But his circle change, thrown with the same motion, completely indistinguishable from the heater, was a heartbreaker. He also had a decent curve:

https://youtu.be/6hq5jfMuSS8

If we were to look for, say... pitchers from the expansion era on, who started 20 games or more, and search by lowest FIP, we would see this:

Wow! OK, what if we search the same period, looking for WHIP, in ascending order? Holy poo poo, he is there too

OK, fine. Dude was good. But hey, what if we look by ERA+ ? Surely he can't be on there, too?!?

YES, holy loving poo poo, not only is he on there too, he's at the top, and appears again just a few spots down!

I know, right?!? But those are just two seasons, idiot, I hear you saying. Well, yes. His two best. During a time when most every lineup had like four or five guys who could do some damage, every single day. But would you accept a five-year stretch, all during the steroid boom?

In the 1999 postseason, he came out of the bullpen with a sore arm and no fastball, and pitched six innings of no-hit, shutout ball.

quote:

I was at about 60 percent. I started out very cautiously, flipping a lot of curveballs and off-speed pitches to the Indians, a team that I knew would chase pitches outside the strike zone. I knew that they also were probably confused. If I had come back to pitch, that must have meant I was healthy, and when I was healthy I had my fastball-changeup combination. Of course, I didn’t have that fastball that night, but I used the element of surprise to my advantage. I started to throw curveballs early in the count against guys I’d never used a curveball against, like Thome. Normally, I would never take the chance of hanging a curveball with him because he had such a long swing and could murder that kind of pitch. I threw changeups in fastball counts or a curveball at the complete opposite moment when one was called for.

Lastly, it must be addressed, because they played at the same time... Bonds did have success against him. But not after Bonds ballooned to 230 pounds and became a cheat code! Siddown, bitch!

(OK, it was only one game, but the period when Bonds had success against him was also before Pedro's dominant period, and the 2004 game was Baseball Jesus Bonds vs Fading Pedro)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Coastal elitist washed up athletes for Tromp

Here's some actual baseball n/v:

Extend Javier Baez, you cowards

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Give me all of the Glasnow shares. He’s gonna turn 30 and go prime Jake Arrieta for like three years before losing his FB. But those three years will be special. It’s a shame it’s gonna happen in Boston or St. Louis after the Rays cheap out for the umpteenth time.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I’ve been alone in my apartment since covid hit and having baseball on the radio while I did things like cook and wash the dishes was very chill. There is no substitute

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/1322930865865953282

Whoa, look out, here come the big spending *checks notes* Orioles...?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh thank God I was so afraid we were gonna let Iglesias walk for bullshit reasons.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1322925488327843841?s=21

BABIP .000

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpTPm1R4_AM

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Artix posted:

Oh thank God I was so afraid we were gonna let Iglesias walk for bullshit reasons.

I remember reading that despite the crazy babip he had he was also among the leaders in expected avg from contact quality.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Nothing to add here really. Sucks.

https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/1323017790375268356?s=21

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Giants extend QO to Gausman.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I remember reading that despite the crazy babip he had he was also among the leaders in expected avg from contact quality.

Ya in 2020 but never before that.

Every year before this was an xwOBA under .300 but 2020 it was .370

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1323024138672496648

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Giants extend QO to Gausman.
I knew he'd found some footing there but wow

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
No Stroman for the Braves then, probably a pipe dream to begin with but no way they lose that draft pick two years running.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Love to not offer the QO to Didi

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

uggy posted:

Ya in 2020 but never before that.

Every year before this was an xwOBA under .300 but 2020 it was .370

Nothin gets by you.

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Sydin posted:

The Brewers are legitimately like, twice as likeable now that they've jettisoned Braun. Now all they have to do is get rid of Hader and I will have no more rational reasons to dislike them.

Trade Hader to the White Sox after TLR inevitably drops the N-word and Tim Anderson demands a trade, refusing to play in the mean time.

Hader gets his perfect manager match and Brewers go on to win world series fueled by being the most like-able team ever.

I can dream anyway. Also IMO Hader is showing signs of going downhill and Devin Williams, notable good guy, is the new hot poo poo anyway so they would be wise to get the most value for Hader while they can.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Nothin gets by you.

Sorry for talking baseball

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I wouldn't have guessed Gausman got a QO, and might have guessed Semien or Hendricks would.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/ianmbrowne/status/1322321295292456961?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They're pretty likely to rehire him. It's been rumored since not long after he got fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They really did fly right under the radar didn't they