Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

Portrait of a Lady on Fire - Might be my #1 film I've seen this year, a masterpiece about love and memory like nothing I've seen before. Might be the greatest ending shot of the last 20 years.

It's extremely good. Maybe the best film I've seen about painting.

Feel very lucky to have seen both Portrait and Uncut Gems multiple times theatrically right before theaters basically stopped existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Well that series of praise was enough for me to drop an upgrade purchase and blind buy Portrait of a Lady on Fire. :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

You won't regret it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I grabbed World Cinema Project #3. The first two were a lot of fun to dig through with really only one stinker between the both of them (Mysterious Object at Noon), I have high hopes for this third set.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Raxivace posted:

only one stinker between the both of them (Mysterious Object at Noon)

you shut your mouth

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

my pickup from the sale, if i had the $50 gift certificate I was close to getting I may end up getting the Godzilla set, space issues be damned!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Due to life kind of getting from me for a while I really haven't had a chance to keep up with new Criterion releases for a decent stretch, is there any easy way to see something like, "here are all of the releases of the past year"? The new releases page on the site only covers a small window.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nate RFB posted:

Due to life kind of getting from me for a while I really haven't had a chance to keep up with new Criterion releases for a decent stretch, is there any easy way to see something like, "here are all of the releases of the past year"? The new releases page on the site only covers a small window.

Wikipedia has a list of releases by spine number but it won't show you what upgrades came out in the past year.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Picked up Days of Heaven on DVD*. I had two $10 coupons saved up, but the ridiculous Canadian shipping made it only slightly cheaper than the Unobstructed View price, so I got it there for faster shipping. By the next sale, I'll probably have three coupons saved up.

*I know DVD is sacrilege for a movie like this, but for various reasons I still use an old SD CRT, and the converters needed to show Blu-ray on it weaken the black level. Criterion DVDs have fantastic mastering though, so I'm content with it.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Got Silence of the Lambs, Naked, Au hazard Balthasar, The Elephant Man, and finally, loving FINALLY after it being out of stock in every B&N sale for ages, Sansho the Bailiff.

I ran into a similar situation where Stalker was never in stock at B&N sales, but this had gone on even longer with Sansho, and both are among my faves.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's been a long time since I've seen Days of Heaven in a store, I wonder if stock is getting low

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
I ordered my first Criterion Blu-Rays during the flash sale: Eraserhead, Funny Games, Come and See, and Eyes Without a Face. I really wanted Hausu but it was sold out at the time. Maybe in November!

Can’t wait to watch that lineup. I’ve been wanting to check out Come and See for a long time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What are the odds of more Ken Russell on the collection?

Very few of his films have been restored in the blu ray era and it's a loving shame. One of my favorite directors who seems lost in obscurity due to studio grudges. I'd heard that Criterion had gotten ahold of The Music Lovers at the same time as Women In Love, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Tommy and The Boy Friend have nice blu releases already, and Altered States has a barebones blu, but stuff like Savage Messiah, Lisztomania, The Music Lovers, The Rainbow, and :ssh:The Devils:ssh: are all stuck in the dvd/vhs reeds.

Mahler has an official Paramount blu release that's only available in Japan :psyduck:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I saw The Devils for the first time in a theatre (also Altered States) a couple years ago and was blown away by it and even then it wasn't the fully uncut version. Looks like it's on Shudder but I'd love a physical release.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

I saw The Devils for the first time in a theatre (also Altered States) a couple years ago and was blown away by it and even then it wasn't the fully uncut version. Looks like it's on Shudder but I'd love a physical release.

It is not on Shudder. It isn't anywhere right now. You'll have to wait until it gets on Criterion Channel or Shudder again.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Franchescanado posted:

It is not on Shudder. It isn't anywhere right now. You'll have to wait until it gets on Criterion Channel or Shudder again.

Lol you're right, they have a big Play button on their site and then all the comments are "I SIGNED UP JUST FOR THIS AND CAN'T WATCH IT! " cheeky bastards 😝

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cacator posted:

Lol you're right, they have a big Play button on their site and then all the comments are "I SIGNED UP JUST FOR THIS AND CAN'T WATCH IT! " cheeky bastards 😝

It was on Shudder for a while, and I assume they keep that page up in case they get it back. Criterion Channel has had it twice, I think? At least once, for sure.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Cacator posted:

Shudder is terrible at updating their catalog. Both times I've signed up for it in order to watch specific movies that didn't end up being available.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Music Lovers is one of my top ten movies. The DVD is actually very high quality even though its menus and chaptering are definitely old school, but it needs a Blu Ray release for sure.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

pospysyl posted:

The Music Lovers is one of my top ten movies. The DVD is actually very high quality even though its menus and chaptering are definitely old school, but it needs a Blu Ray release for sure.

The piano concerto scene and the 1812 overture scene are worth it alone. It really puts all the BBC composer stuff Russell did prior into perspective, like he was basically studying his tricks before he got a big break.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I just got the Criterion Channel again, and I was wondering, how long does it usually take for new releases to make their way to the channel? I have really wanted to see Girlfriends, and I was hoping it'd come to the channel after its release date this month, but it doesn't appear on the November line-up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Twin Cinema posted:

I just got the Criterion Channel again, and I was wondering, how long does it usually take for new releases to make their way to the channel? I have really wanted to see Girlfriends, and I was hoping it'd come to the channel after its release date this month, but it doesn't appear on the November line-up.

Usually a month or two?

The Elephant Man got a release on September 29th, and it goes live on the Channel on Nov. 3rd.

But it's not a guaranteed thing. They usually pick one or two releases to upload.

So, if it does go on the Channel, it'll probably be in December or early January.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It looks like there's quite a bit leaving at the end of this month, any recommendations? I just caught The Heiress a couple weeks ago and thought it was pretty terrific. The Watermelon Woman is also a must-see.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It looks like there's quite a bit leaving at the end of this month, any recommendations? I just caught The Heiress a couple weeks ago and thought it was pretty terrific. The Watermelon Woman is also a must-see.
I liked Tarnation quite a bit, but it's way out there. The more obvious choices would be Duck Soup, Baby Jane, Mildred Pierce, and Alice.

I watched Phantom Tollbooth quite a bit as a kid, might throw that on to see if it holds up. :)

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Uncle Boonmee Who Can See His Past Lives was pretty good! It was on a lot of critics' best of the decade lists and while I personally wasn't that overwhelmed by it, it has a palpably unique atmosphere.

fenix down posted:

I liked Tarnation quite a bit, but it's way out there. The more obvious choices would be Duck Soup, Baby Jane, Mildred Pierce, and Alice.

I watched Phantom Tollbooth quite a bit as a kid, might throw that on to see if it holds up. :)

Definitely check out Alice too! As for Phantom Tollbooth, if you like it when Chuck Jones characters look askance at the fourth wall and smirk, that is the movie for you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I fell asleep when I saw Uncle Boonmee the year it came out, haha. I'm curious to revisit it. Also I'm glad Phantom Tollbooth has had some time up on the channel, the book was a huge influence on me as a kid and I rented the movie frequently.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Looks like the Barnes and noble sale started

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yep, grabbed Parasite, Do The Right Thing, and Being There

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I guess the sale ends before December, since Crash isn't discounted. Boo.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Splurged a bit and ordered
Rebecca
The Red Shoes
sex, lies, and videotape
Throne of Blood
Notorious
Some Like it Hot
Klute
Shampoo
The Vanishing

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 7, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Went ahead and pre-ordered Essential Fellini since I doubt I'd get a copy in-store that's in good shape.

Only recent titles I'm really looking at are Parasite, Claudine, Pierrot le Fou, and The Irishman.

Though, I've had the Wenders Road Trilogy, the Ozus, and maybe the Rohmer box in my sights. Also have heard a lot of good stuff about The Gunfighter.

While I haven't picked up every release, here's a bunch of recommendations from late-2019 through October 2020...

BOX SETS

Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits - While I had seen the films on DVD and was mildly impressed, this seemed like a good chance to revisit. The best of the set are Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon, plus the latter half of Game of Death. The remasters look and sound amazing, tons of extras, multiple audio tracks and cuts, etc.

Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman - Some of the most creative cinema I've ever seen. While I wasn't as enthralled with Journey to the Beginning of Time, both Invention for Destruction and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen are absolutely delightful with the "handmade" storybook look and whimsy. Lots of extras here, including an excellent feature-length doc on Zeman's life and work, which even shows students learning how to re-create effects he used.

World Cinema Project No. 3 - I haven't had a chance to watch any of this yet, but the previous two boxes were wonderful.

REISSUES

Taste of Cherry - I loved Kiarostami's Koker Trilogy and this was very close. Still unsure what to make of the ending, but a worthwhile film.

The Lady Eve - One of Preston Sturges' best and a wonderful new 4K restoration (albeit from compromised elements).

Salesman - One of the most soul-crushing documentaries, great new remaster and even has the Documentary Now! episode as an extra.

Army of Shadows - I think this is my favorite Melville film and a true masterpiece, glad that it got reissued.

NEW TITLES

Now, Voyager - Underrated golden age masterpiece starring Bette Davis and Paul Henreid. One of the most beautiful 40s restorations i've seen.

Until the End of the World - 5 1/2 hours of Wim Wenders and a loving amazing soundtrack.

Holiday - Wonderful "dramedy" with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant, one of my favorite blind-buys.

All About My Mother - Another great Almodovar, gorgeous remaster.

Paris is Burning - While it gets a little dark near the end, lots of fun even if you're not exactly into "queer cinema"

Show Boat - James Whale directs a musical.

The Cremator - One of the most bizarre films i've seen.

Destry Rides Again - If you want to see what film inspired Blazing Saddles the most, this is it. Hilarious and worth it for the chemistry between Marlene Dietrich and James Stewart.

Scorsese Shorts - Three student films and two docs. Lots of fun here and I dare anyone to not wish they had Catherine Scorsese as a mother.

Husbands - What else do you need? John Cassevetes stars and directs, plus Peter Falk and Ben Gazzara. Make sure you watch the Dick Cavett episode.

The Cameraman - Buster Keaton's last masterpiece, gorgeous new restoration.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire - My pick for best film I've seen this year, just astonishing from start to finish.

(I haven't had a chance to watch Dance Girl Dance, Come and See, The War of the Worlds, The Elephant Man, the Varda box, or The Cranes Are Flying yet)

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I fell asleep when I saw Uncle Boonmee the year it came out, haha. I'm curious to revisit it. Also I'm glad Phantom Tollbooth has had some time up on the channel, the book was a huge influence on me as a kid and I rented the movie frequently.

It was my favorite book as a kid and imagine my disappointment with the film. While it's alright for what it is, Jones pretty much missed the point of the book.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Am I correct that The Cameraman is currently the only Buster Keaton film in the collection?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Am I correct that The Cameraman is currently the only Buster Keaton film in the collection?

Yes, at least that's out on blu-ray.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I finally got around to watching my Blu-Ray copy of Come and See. An amazing transfer compared to the previous releases of the film. There were 1 or 2 shots that looked slightly out of focus though but that looked like it was more to do with the source material than the actual transfer itself. Would recommend.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Huh, I bought the King Of The Hill Blu-rays mainly to see The Underneath again, since it never came out on DVD, and both are on the channel this month lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Huh, I bought the King Of The Hill Blu-rays mainly to see The Underneath again, since it never came out on DVD, and both are on the channel this month lol

Kino Lorber is releasing a standalone Blu soon, with a commentary and trailer added.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

There aren't many really great movies leaving the Channel this month, but you definitely shouldn't miss The Watermelon Woman, Election, or especially Columbus if you haven't seen them already.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
February releases:

Smooth Talk
Mandabi
Man Push Cart
Chop Shop
The Parallax View

The only one I'm really interested in is The Parallax View.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I want to see Smooth Talk. Sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I watched Smooth Talk a little while back, it's very good. A must watch if you like Laura Dern, it shifts from low key to very suspenseful/tense gracefully and a lot of it rests on how great of an early performance it is from Dern. I think Janus are doing a virtual cinema thing of the restoration currently, so check your local theater of choice to see if you can get a ticket to stream it. More Ousmane Sembene is great too.