Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
So are 747s still hosed in MSFS or are they flyable now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

sellouts posted:

https://twitter.com/MSFS_Support/status/1321927413853425664

Asobo continues to deliver. Sounds like it might be an issue with Fanatec rudder pedals.

Uh, Fanatec rudder pedals...?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
I am having enormous problems with trim and I don't know why. I cannot clear the tutorial flight that includes it (Take off and Level Flight).

Am I missing something? I've been using a PS4 controller, but even keyboard doesn't help. At least it doesn't cock block me from the other tutorials but it still annoys me that I just cannot figure it out.

I did just get a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro stick and might remap the trim to the throttle tab thingy. Also, the default button mapping blows anyway so I'll probably spend an hour tomorrow remapping everything :downs:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Kiwillian posted:

I am having enormous problems with trim and I don't know why. I cannot clear the tutorial flight that includes it (Take off and Level Flight).

Am I missing something? I've been using a PS4 controller, but even keyboard doesn't help. At least it doesn't cock block me from the other tutorials but it still annoys me that I just cannot figure it out.

I did just get a Logitech 3D Extreme Pro stick and might remap the trim to the throttle tab thingy. Also, the default button mapping blows anyway so I'll probably spend an hour tomorrow remapping everything :downs:

I remapped the vertical trim to the left throttle on my warthog. Way easier to control with a device like that than using a button, so yeah if you have a spare slider axis somewhere, I would definitely recommend it.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

uXs posted:

I remapped the vertical trim to the left throttle on my warthog. Way easier to control with a device like that than using a button, so yeah if you have a spare slider axis somewhere, I would definitely recommend it.

Yeah, I think I will remap the throttle to elevator trim and stick the throttle on the buttons up the top. Digital throttle is fine but the digital trim can go gently caress itself. Hopefully this will make it easier.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Uh, Fanatec rudder pedals...?

Yeah idk I think people have used the racing pedals and assigned axis based on those? I dunno.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’ve messed with flight sims for years (mostly x-plane but some FSX) but don’t really know what I’m doing. I can take off, land, follow ATC instructions, and I’ve recently started messing with autopilot systems (mostly g1000) and it’s all really cool. I got MSFS2020 about a week ago and got it set up with SmoothTrack and that’s working well enough that I’ve ditched x-plane (which I was using in VR) in favor of MSFS because it just looks so much better and the presentation is much more slick.

Most of my equipment is old, I’ve got an old saitek yoke from before Logitech that I bought broken on eBay $30 and repaired (although I think it’s the same one Logitech sells now), a brand new Logitech throttle quadrant, and an ancient ch products rudder pedal set that looks more like old hospital equipment than video game gear.

So I might not know what the correct terms are and sound like a dumbass, but I’ve got a couple questions about MSFS in regards to autopilot and some ATC stuff.

1) I was doing a flight from Provincetown municipal airport to Boston Logan the other night in the 172 on autopilot and had to deal with some family poo poo for a sec so I paused the sim. When I got back to my computer I was getting a stall alarm while it was still paused (the simulation was paused the whole time!) and when I unpaused the plane pitched up very quickly and every time I would force it back down to level flight it would fight me and start pitching way up again. I disengaged autopilot and fought the plane my pushing in the yoke and trimming and finally got it back to level flight, re-engaged autopilot and everything was fine. Then later that night it happened again. Same thing. I paused to get a snack, stall while paused, had to fight to get it level, then back to normal. Logic tells me at this point not to pause anymore but... wtf was that?

2) ATC in x-plane vs MSFS2020. In x-plane I file my flight plan and when I get close to the airport I’m set to land at the ATC starts feeding me headings and altitudes to change to for approach. In MSFS2020 they don’t really do that automatically and I have to go to the ATC window and request vector to next waypoint. Is there a way to make it behave more like x-plane’s ATC in that regard? Which ATC behavior is the more realistic one?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

GutBomb posted:

1) I was doing a flight from Provincetown municipal airport to Boston Logan the other night in the 172 on autopilot and had to deal with some family poo poo for a sec so I paused the sim. When I got back to my computer I was getting a stall alarm while it was still paused (the simulation was paused the whole time!) and when I unpaused the plane pitched up very quickly and every time I would force it back down to level flight it would fight me and start pitching way up again. I disengaged autopilot and fought the plane my pushing in the yoke and trimming and finally got it back to level flight, re-engaged autopilot and everything was fine. Then later that night it happened again. Same thing. I paused to get a snack, stall while paused, had to fight to get it level, then back to normal. Logic tells me at this point not to pause anymore but... wtf was that?

Did you pause by hitting Esc and getting the menu pop up or did you use the "Active Pause" because IIRC the Active Pause basically just freezes your plane in place but everything else keeps going in the game, so if you hit that while climbing or something your plane will continue to lose airspeed as if it's climbing even though it's not going anywhere so when you unpause all those values suddenly get applied to your plane and poo poo goes wild, if the autopilot was on it was probably trying to adjust the trim like crazy to compensate or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How did you pause? By hitting the pause button or going to the menus? Hitting the pause button keeps physics running and leads to weird things happening when you unpause.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

How did you pause? By hitting the pause button or going to the menus? Hitting the pause button keeps physics running and leads to weird things happening when you unpause.

Scruff McGruff posted:

Did you pause by hitting Esc and getting the menu pop up or did you use the "Active Pause" because IIRC the Active Pause basically just freezes your plane in place but everything else keeps going in the game, so if you hit that while climbing or something your plane will continue to lose airspeed as if it's climbing even though it's not going anywhere so when you unpause all those values suddenly get applied to your plane and poo poo goes wild, if the autopilot was on it was probably trying to adjust the trim like crazy to compensate or something.

I used the pause button in the menu. I had no idea haha. Why does that even exist?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

GutBomb posted:

I used the pause button in the menu. I had no idea haha. Why does that even exist?

MSFS2020.txt

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Night lighting is hugely improved in this patch also, or so it seems (only been doing low altitude VFR flights so far and it looks great, no more weird glowing patches of city). Haven't tried at high altitude yet but so far I am digging this latest patch a lot.

Also it seems Asobo is doing a hot patch later today for that crashing issue some people now have, hasn't affected me but glad to see they are slowly getting on top of things compared to the chaos of the last few patches since release. I can only assume they were completely overwhelmed with the early release, and consequent issues, and are now starting to get the worst stuff under control, giving them some breathing room to do things like hot patches.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Did 2 short IFR flights today with the new patch:

Bonanza has some weird AP issues going on. Wouldn't fly the selected Altitude and was consistently off by +/- 800 feet. Also the NAV mode seemed wonky, wouldn't fly the magenta line. On Approach (on an ILS no less) it was waaaaaaaaaaaay off center.

TBM 930 on the other hand, no issues whatsoever with the AP. Both FLC and V/S worked perfectly with my selected altitude. NAV via FMS worked fine.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sellouts posted:

https://twitter.com/MSFS_Support/status/1321927413853425664

Asobo continues to deliver. Sounds like it might be an issue with Fanatec rudder pedals.

I don't have any, but I CTD before getting into the main menu. RIP.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

sigher posted:

I don't have any, but I CTD before getting into the main menu. RIP.

I had the same issue last night when I plugged in my new Logitech 3D pro stick. Just CTD'd while loading over and over and over even if I unplugged it. Ended up getting really frustrated and did a refund on Steam which they gave me despite playing for 30+ hours. The title of the new thread is certainly bang-on. :(

There was supposed to be a fix today, but now they say "this weekend".

Turbo Poggs
Jan 6, 2013
I think the patch messed up or reset my hotas sensitivity curves. Especially my rudder/brake axis. I couldn't taxi straight to save my life, all of the sudden.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Turbo Poggs posted:

I think the patch messed up or reset my hotas sensitivity curves. Especially my rudder/brake axis. I couldn't taxi straight to save my life, all of the sudden.

It added separate sensitivity values for negative and positive and changed what those values do. My yoke was insane until I went and messed with it. -70 pre-patch was fine, -70 post patch was wild.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

With the landing challenges, I understand the idea to touchdown in the little cyan box and smoothly/centered as possible, but also lay on the brakes and stop as fast as possible or does the roll out matter as much?

I like the new little Halloween one. Kind of fun with the failures and the lightning.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If there are updates to individual packages for whatever, do you seriously have to go to the content manager and scroll through 100+ items to find them and then update manually?

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If there are updates to individual packages for whatever, do you seriously have to go to the content manager and scroll through 100+ items to find them and then update manually?

While still a dumb process you can just click on the select all box near the upper left and then it will pop up in the lower right with how big your download will be.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
FYI if you picked up the free DLC of some airport in Europe that one of the payware companies released (Aerosoft?) that thing's like 7GB. So maybe checking all to download in that updater isn't always a great idea.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Any tips on taming the rudder? I remapped the clutch and the throttle from my Logitech G27 racing pedals into one virtual rudder with Gremlin and vJoy.

It looks perfect in the input viewer, and when I use the outside view in game it also looks fine, but the planes still react very violently. This happens both in air and on the ground and make it very hard to control.

Should I change the sensitivity in game? And how exactly?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

uXs posted:

Any tips on taming the rudder? I remapped the clutch and the throttle from my Logitech G27 racing pedals into one virtual rudder with Gremlin and vJoy.

It looks perfect in the input viewer, and when I use the outside view in game it also looks fine, but the planes still react very violently. This happens both in air and on the ground and make it very hard to control.

Should I change the sensitivity in game? And how exactly?

You want a curve, IE: The first 50% of physical pedal movement maps to only 25% of virtual pedal movement, and the last 75% of virtual pedal movement is mapped to the last 50% of pedal movement. Most of the time you’re not making huge inputs to the rudder, so it’s ok to lose fine control over the top half of the range in order to gain fine control over the bottom half.

Note that I’m not saying you actually want a 50% curve, I’d start with ~20% and adjust from there until it feels right. You can set up control curves for each axis under the sensitivity button on the left.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Sweet, thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The halloween pumpkin patch landing challenge is pretty cute

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Still haven't figured out where I'm supposed to land. I'm probably flying right over it. Scenery is great and the failures are a nice touch.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm trying to set up my stream deck using this: https://github.com/nguyenquyhy/Flight-Tracker-StreamDeck

Anybody use it? The documentation is rather, um, short, and some more examples would be nice.

And I'm also looking for some kind of interface to SimConnect, to read the values of variables and poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FunOne posted:

Still haven't figured out where I'm supposed to land. I'm probably flying right over it. Scenery is great and the failures are a nice touch.

There's a grass strip with jack-o-lantern edge-lights

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish they'd add a tiny bit of jitter in the placement of the lights, to look more real.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh they're all wrong anyway. the romanian countryside absolutely does not have streetlights like that. also right when you start the challenge there's a line of lamps like 200 feet in the air -- at first I thought "cool, floating lanterns!!" but no lol.

Again, hoping modders can fix this stuff. Overall the world still looks fantastic but i would like a few simple adjustments to e.g. the balance of trees that are generated (there aren't anywhere near enough evergreens), the overall yellow/blue balance of the shading (too yellow), and the density of the streetlights

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

There's a grass strip with jack-o-lantern edge-lights

Found it, HARD left around the mountain.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, you have to look to the left. There will be a two roads with a bunch of lights, and the strip is between those.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Man I wish we could have proper missions and custom scenario. I'd love to do adventure trips like doing cocaine runs during the 80s, or bringing supplies to remote bases in the wilderness including Antarctica. I'm considering to get the Mooney to have a fast plane with vintage instruments just for that purpose.

I've tried to make a few trips like that myself. You can make a beautiful trip from Lago Garda in Italy all the way up to Innsbruck, Austria, by following rivers and mountain passes over the Alps.

Getting all the remote air strips in the Indonesian bush is fun.

Hopping through the Caribbean is fun, all the way from Trinidad and Tobago to Puerto Rico, making sure to not skip highlights such as St. Barthelemy.

From Scotland to Faroe and Iceland.

I want more cool trips, preferably some that come with some flavor attached. Let me find and save some dudes stranded on a glacier or something.

You could do sooooo much with this game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's nothing in Antarctica to go to. You can fly to that base, but it's just a large warehouse on a flat plain. Nothing interesting.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
And the Faroe airport just straight up doesn't exist in the game at all

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Is Mount Erebus there?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Took about a three week break and now the store seems to think the game hasn't been released. Awesome.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Took about a three week break and now the store seems to think the game hasn't been released. Awesome.

Is your Game Pass subscription active?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

No, I paid $91 dollary doos for it. I uninstalled it and now it wont let me redownload it without rebuying it. Amazing.