Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

abraxas posted:

Apparently Alex Wright moved his wrestling school to the city I live in? I just googled him and I could pay his place a visit after work if I wanted to. I'd rather not though, because I'm a fat, old and out of shape man who would probably get his rear end kicked post haste.

just go and do the dance he'll instantly take you on as a protege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't know if it's like this everywhere but at my school the refs trained the same as the wrestlers.

Also, a lot of people seem to show up in not great shape and then get better. In fact, the people who showed up ripped and super athletic bailed on classes way sooner than anyone else I saw.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

abraxas posted:

Apparently Alex Wright moved his wrestling school to the city I live in? I just googled him and I could pay his place a visit after work if I wanted to. I'd rather not though, because I'm a fat, old and out of shape man who would probably get his rear end kicked post haste.

I hate you.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't know if it's like this everywhere but at my school the refs trained the same as the wrestlers.

Also, a lot of people seem to show up in not great shape and then get better. In fact, the people who showed up ripped and super athletic bailed on classes way sooner than anyone else I saw.

My local school holds tryouts for prospects and oftentimes these athletic guys would not make the cut. Usually the reason was that they did not listen.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If I could go back in time I'd go to a wrestling school right after graduating high school

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1319346009865060352

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Better Than You posted:

If I could go back in time I'd go to a wrestling school right after graduating high school

Thats what I did!

Grandma gave me $1000 dollars when i graduated and I gave that to carnies in $100 increments for like 9 weeks.

I was 18, weighed like 110 pounds and a was a lithe hairless wonder. I could run circles around all the big guys but when it came to taking bumps and running ropes I had no extra padding and got turned into a human bruise.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In just over an hour we have Halloween Havoc 95, you don't want to miss it!

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Better Than You posted:

I don't think Bret had "cross-promoting with a second-rate sketch comedy show" in mind when he signed that multi-million dollar contract with WCW

Weirdly, Bret was doing stuff with Mad TV before he even made the jump.

There used to be a guy on the show whose deal was that he'd walk out in a towel, soaking wet, and would go on these intense rants that started with, "YOU KNOW WHAT I LOVE?!" or "YOU KNOW WHAT I HATE?!" and the crowd would shout back, "WHAT?!"

One time there was a short bit where he screamed about liking wrestling, but hated that guy who kept referring to himself as "the Hitman" and "the best there is." All the while, Bret quietly stood behind him. Once the guy realized it, he yelled, "SHAWN MICHAELS! THAT'S WHO I HATE!"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Wasn't there also a skit where a kid was getting bullied by his family so he enlisted Bret to be his bodyguard of sorts? I think that was before he jumped too if it ever existed and wasn't just a fever dream.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Bret was also in the show lonesome dove. Which was a Wild West show and I believe syndicated.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

The American Dream posted:

Bret was also in the show lonesome dove. Which was a Wild West show and I believe syndicated.

As a young kid growing up in Calgary who hadn’t quite discovered wrestling yet, I remember this episode getting a ton of local promotion. The whole time I was confused, who the gently caress was this Brett Heart guy and why the gently caress did anyone care? I was/still am a dumb kid.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I like Bret Hart because he’s got family values, he’s loyal, he really genuinely likes his fans, even though he may hate the morals of America. He really inspired me to do many different things in my life. He taught me that I have a gift and to use it to it’s fullest potential. And now I’m going to school for computer graphics, and I owe it all to Bret. Four years ago, I never would have gone to school, but when I started liking Bret, everything changed.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I like Bret Hart because he’s got family values, he’s loyal, he really genuinely likes his fans, even though he may hate the morals of America. He really inspired me to do many different things in my life. He taught me that I have a gift and to use it to it’s fullest potential. And now I’m going to school for computer graphics, and I owe it all to Bret. Four years ago, I never would have gone to school, but when I started liking Bret, everything changed.

Omfg I loved that clip

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

[Borat Voice] High five! [/Borat Voice]

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sandman McMahon posted:

As a young kid growing up in Calgary who hadn’t quite discovered wrestling yet, I remember this episode getting a ton of local promotion. The whole time I was confused, who the gently caress was this Brett Heart guy and why the gently caress did anyone care? I was/still am a dumb kid.

As a young kid growing up in central New York, I'd always turn to Lonesome Dove when I saw it on the preview channel hoping I'd see Bret and I never did. I wish we could have traded Lonesome Dove experiences.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

As a young kid growing up in central New York, I'd always turn to Lonesome Dove when I saw it on the preview channel hoping I'd see Bret and I never did. I wish we could have traded Lonesome Dove experiences.

To add to this: After getting into wrestling spring/summer ‘98 a kid I met at school told me about the totally awesome ppv his uncle took him to the year before and it was probably the best show ever. Obviously I knew WWF would never ever hold a ppv in Calgary and this kid was a lying piece of poo poo

:(

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

This post made me watch Wrestling With Shadows again so thank you.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

And now I’m going to school for computer graphics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPsZUJtwPw&t=35s

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
Oh man, I was hoping that was an ad for ITT TECHNICAL INSTITUTE

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yessssss

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I finally completed a collection of the WCW WOTC Card game and was quite amused by the wrestlers they included in the game and the ratings they assigned them:

Nitro Set:
Berlyn (5)
Billy Kidman (6)
Bret Hart (10)
Buff Bagwell (7)
Diamond Dallas Page (6)
Disco Inferno (3)
Goldberg (10)
Jeff Jarrett (8)
Kevin Nash (9)
Rey Mysterio Jr (2)
Scott Hall (3)
Sid (7)
Sting (8)
The Total Package (7)

Hardcore Expansion:
Big Poppa Pump (7)
Brian Knobbs (6)
Hollywood Hogan (7)
Norman Smiley (3)
Ric Flair (5)
Tank Abbott (9)
Terry Funk (5)
Vampiro (8)

It would take at least 3 Rey Mysterio Jrs to take out 1 Brian Knobbs, that's just scientific fact.

Of particular note is Terry Funk's special ability - "Once a round, if none of the damage from one of your attacks is stopped and the ref is distracted, you may hit your opponent with a chicken"

I also enjoy that Shane Douglas is all over the other cards and the actual box of the Hardcore Expansion but is not actually a wrestler you can use.

Tato fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 29, 2020

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Story of Shane Douglas' career.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tato posted:

I also enjoy that Shane Douglas is all over the other cards and the actual box of the Hardcore Expansion but is not actually a wrestler you can use.

lmao

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Sandman McMahon posted:

To add to this: After getting into wrestling spring/summer ‘98 a kid I met at school told me about the totally awesome ppv his uncle took him to the year before and it was probably the best show ever. Obviously I knew WWF would never ever hold a ppv in Calgary and this kid was a lying piece of poo poo

:(

How did you manage being a kid in Calgary and not know the Harts?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Adaptabullshit posted:

How did you manage being a kid in Calgary and not know the Harts?

Eh, less unbelievable in the 90's. The Harts are big deals in Alberta in general but despite Bret and Owen's stardom I'd say they meant more to the region in the 70's and 80's when Stampede was part of Canadian culture in general and TV was basically the only form of home entertainment and Stampede Wrestling was big enough that it was part of the actual Calgary Stampede.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Eh, less unbelievable in the 90's. The Harts are big deals in Alberta in general but despite Bret and Owen's stardom I'd say they meant more to the region in the 70's and 80's when Stampede was part of Canadian culture in general and TV was basically the only form of home entertainment and Stampede Wrestling was big enough that it was part of the actual Calgary Stampede.

I’d mostly agree with this. At 10 years old without any friends/family into wrestling it was actually pretty easy to miss. Even these days, most people I talk to are usually aware of the Hart family in name only. Most are surprised to learn how big of a deal Bret actually was in the industry.

To get really depressing, way too many people don’t even know who Owen was. Some people are aware a Hart family member died in the ring, but that’s about it.

Edit: thinking about it more, the first time I heard of Bret was either the Lonesome Dove thing, or when the Hitmen started playing. Not sure which came first. Either way, both times I had no idea who he was or why anyone cared.

Sandman from ECW fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 29, 2020

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Since this thread is supposed to be about The WCW I just wanna throw out that I recently learned there’s a Goldberg/Bret Hart action figure set that specifically recreates the time that stupid idiot Goldberg tried to spear Bret in Canada and got owned like the stupid idiot he is. Hockey jerseys and steel plates are a deadly combination.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sandman McMahon posted:

Since this thread is supposed to be about The WCW I just wanna throw out that I recently learned there’s a Goldberg/Bret Hart action figure set that specifically recreates the time that stupid idiot Goldberg tried to spear Bret in Canada and got owned like the stupid idiot he is. Hockey jerseys and steel plates are a deadly combination.
That was the best Bret Hart WCW segment and it's not close.

That was supposed to be the start of his big push, and he was gonna' wrestle Kevin Nash on the Tonight Show after quitting WCW in that segment, but then Owen died.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfpNV8C3N6E

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkbpjbVtGo8

Sid in 2000 WCW was getting a better reaction than most WWE superstars in the last few years.

Then again this is Sid. He is pro-wrestling incarnate.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

NikkolasKing posted:

Sid in 2000 WCW was getting a better reaction than most WWE superstars in the last few years.

Sid had a better powerbomb than Kevin Nash so fans had to love him

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Main takeaway from that clip: Mark Madden was godawful

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Sid has the kind of weird, not sure if he's actually a human being, charisma that very few wrestlers have.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rujasu posted:

Main takeaway from that clip: Mark Madden was godawful

He leaned so loving hard into the wacky/edgy morning DJ shtick and even in 2000 it was really fuckin' tired.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Tina, buy the raft you fat lard.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I love Sid

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I keep forgetting how good Sid's career was, I mean 5 world titles in both WCW/WWE during the peak era

quote:

Sid was dubbed as undefeated having a winning streak much like Goldberg had previously; although, the majority of this streak was due to Sid coming to the ring and power bombing wrestlers already in a match or immediately following their match and thus "defeating" them.

The best gimmick

vvv my bad, i just looked at the years... :shrug:

Hirez fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 2, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hirez posted:

I keep forgetting how good Sid's career was, I mean 5 world titles in both WCW/WWE during the peak era

The best gimmick

None of those titles were during either companies peaks. In fact they were at the opposite end of the spectrum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sid could get over with a crowd super well and it made people think he could be the guy up until he actually had to perform and than he ended up crashing back to earth super fast. I keep wondering how he would of done in the territory days as he'd be very much like Andre in that you could bring him in for a hot run and than cycle him out just as he's cooling off. Added bonus Sid could have also taken softball season off!