Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chev posted:

Aren't you talking about Infinite instead of 3?

matter of degrees i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3 had issues but at no point did it feel like the people making it didn't give a poo poo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/Shini_Zack/status/1323092769087213568

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

rad as hell

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/s__blade/status/1322756802128171008?s=20

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I am being accurately called out by this picture

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Barudak posted:

I still want MvC4, and even if it were just "all we did was multiply the graphics of MvC3 by 4 to scale it up smoothly and added rollback" Id probably still by it.

Has there been any work on a rollback mod for UMVC3 on Steam ala the Guilty Gear +R thing? I know a lot of people use Parsec but it'd be cool to have it just work in game.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Whyyy do so many people set the lobbies in GGAC+R to more than 2 people. Taking turns is not fun with strangers on the internet

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
It’s the ‘super turbo’ syndrome where the game is too loving jank to not try fostering a community by any means

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Vampire saviour and DOA are both notorious for this too

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

giogadi posted:

Whyyy do so many people set the lobbies in GGAC+R to more than 2 people. Taking turns is not fun with strangers on the internet

They also break and crash if there's more than two people a lot of the time. I just stick to playing my friends and local area people.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I haven't really been playing since COVID, but I got an itch, and decided to buy my first fight stick, the Mayflash F500. Any advice for practicing it, or games to develop the new muscle memory?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I haven't really been playing since COVID, but I got an itch, and decided to buy my first fight stick, the Mayflash F500. Any advice for practicing it, or games to develop the new muscle memory?

Play your favorite fighting game with the fightstick. Eventually it will be as comfortable as pad but it will take time to get used to.

If you don't have a favorite fighting game right now, here are some recommendations:

Flavor of the Month: Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R due to recent surge in interest (rollback beta patch).
Free retro games with good netcode: Fightcade
Latest entry from well known series: Tekken 7, SFV, GGXRD
3v3 Tag Fighter: DBFZ
Simplified gameplay: Fantasy Strike
I Would Prefer To Do As Few Inputs As Possible: Samurai Shodown
I'm Retired From Fighting Games: FF14

dhamster fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 3, 2020

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Shmups are fun on a stick too. Play some batsugun.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Shmups are fun on a stick too. Play some batsugun.

Platformers too! Spelunky (2), Celeste, Hollow Knight etc.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I play Puyo Puyo Tetris and Towerfall: Ascension on a stick for the practical reason of only owning two controllers and the games supporting more than two players, it's great

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Honestly pretty much any game that only needs 8-way directional inputs feels great on a stick, especially if it's got that older arcade vibe to it.

I guess the notable exception might be something like a 2D RPG where you have to move long distances and such, but even that's kinda a fun idea

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

dhamster posted:

Play your favorite fighting game with the fightstick. Eventually it will be as comfortable as pad but it will take time to get used to.

If you don't have a favorite fighting game right now, here are some recommendations:

Flavor of the Month: Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R due to recent surge in interest (rollback beta patch).
Free retro games with good netcode: Fightcade
Latest entry from well known series: Tekken 7, SFV, GGXRD
3v3 Tag Fighter: DBFZ
Simplified gameplay: Fantasy Strike
I Would Prefer To Do As Few Inputs As Possible: Samurai Shodown

dont forget I'm Retired From Fighting Games and from FF14: Mahjong Soul

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Great, thanks for the advice. I hadn't even thought of platformers, but that makes a ton of sense.

I've had a lot of difficulty with fighting games in the past, partially do to physiological reasons like poor fine motor skills from a seizure as an infant, and partially due to the high barrier of entry. That said, my younger brother is a huge fan, and I used to go to the local meet up with him so he had some emotional support, and I'd play some games too. Me and my brother would also play games together we got on steam sales, like KoF 13, Garou, UNIST, and Guilty Gear Xrd.

Part of my hope is that a fight stick works better for me then a controller, because the movement of my thumb to different buttons is one of my biggest issues in actually fighting consistently.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I just got a Hitbox and in some ways it feels like cheating, at least in Tekken. As someone who didn't spend that much time in arcades as a kid and more time on a keyboard, the buttons-only configuration feels much easier to me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Great, thanks for the advice. I hadn't even thought of platformers, but that makes a ton of sense.

I've had a lot of difficulty with fighting games in the past, partially do to physiological reasons like poor fine motor skills from a seizure as an infant, and partially due to the high barrier of entry. That said, my younger brother is a huge fan, and I used to go to the local meet up with him so he had some emotional support, and I'd play some games too. Me and my brother would also play games together we got on steam sales, like KoF 13, Garou, UNIST, and Guilty Gear Xrd.

Part of my hope is that a fight stick works better for me then a controller, because the movement of my thumb to different buttons is one of my biggest issues in actually fighting consistently.

It sounds like it should help a bunch, but if you've never used one before make sure to take breaks and stretch your wrists. And don't just like rest your palm against it, or even worse lean actively against the stick, if you're holding it low cause you'll end up hurting your wrists that way.

Your hand should be sort of like you're using a keyboard for the buttons. Stick grip can vary, but you'll figure out what you prefer pretty quick! It's honestly really intuitive to use one, but it takes time to relearn the motions.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dhamster posted:

ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VBJby8pJoU

Actually, surely someone has used a fightstick to play the Warframe fighting minigame, right

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they had an actual cabinet set up at tennocon a couple of years ago so I assume so yeah

it sucks bad but it's funny and clearly just something one of their devs wanted to do one day so it's cool that it exists.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Babe Magnet posted:

it sucks bad but it's funny and clearly just something one of their devs wanted to do one day

Waframe in a nutshell, basically.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Waframe in a nutshell, basically.

A truer statement has never been uttered.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Played a bunch of bbtag last night to ward off the incoming horror of reality and man, that game is still so fun. Some of the characters are clearly so much better than others and the netcode is rear end but man i never fail to have fun whenever I boot it up!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/1324021415310368773?s=20

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

looks better than the original

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/1324146407633162241

Haven't really cared about 5 since the beta, but I enjoyed this!

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

You know, I got into Guilty Gear through Xrd, and one of the primary reasons for that was being a casual, seeing YRC, and going "I can freeze time? Sick!". But I've been grinding +R for the past couple of days, and now I'm firmly on the "gently caress YRC" train.

While I still definitely enjoy Xrd and the meter management game of trading YRCs, It's so nice, like, playing against a Sol and not having to worry about him passively throwing out a Gunflame, YRCing it, and it being able to serve 3 different neutral functions at the same time. Long term movement strategy and spacing decisions feel so much more rewarding in +R, and I greatly appreciate that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You think that and then Eddie does fb drill and just wins neutral immediately

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Haha, I haven't played a good Eddie yet, so that might bring out some emotions. In all honesty, I might still be in the honeymoon phase of "a system mechanic isn't around to eat my BDC inputs." Maybe I'll start getting shredded by some Zappa nonsense or lose a tournament to a Faust pulling triple meteors and loop around to hating the game for a bit, idk what the future holds.

Also, how important is slashback actually? I've read about it on dustloop (which makes it seem strong), but I haven't really seen it in any footage I've seen, and I've definitely seen people post about it like it's some sort of meme, so I have no idea what its actual presence in the game is.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I mean I'm just saying if you think the GG series pre-Xrd has LESS bullshit you are in for a really rude awakening sooner or later

Slashback is basically super IB, not quite a 3S parry but still very very good against most blockstrings. The only things keeping it in check are its extremely stringent execution requirement (2F timing iirc, with no buffer) and the fact that you can't actually use it on wakeup unlike blitz.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I mean I'm just saying if you think the GG series pre-Xrd has LESS bullshit you are in for a really rude awakening sooner or later

Slashback is basically super IB, not quite a 3S parry but still very very good against most blockstrings. The only things keeping it in check are its extremely stringent execution requirement (2F timing iirc, with no buffer) and the fact that you can't actually use it on wakeup unlike blitz.

and it costs 10% meter so most american players don't even use the button

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

this half hour long argument about slashback will tell you basically everything you need to know

https://twitch.tv/videos/791975359?t=1970s

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

So the Mayflash F500 I ordered came in, and it's great. For getting the muscle memory for motions, does anyone have any advice other than "do the same move for 15 minutes in training for any fighting game"?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

tekken s4 got leaked, coming next week
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2020/nov/05/tekken-season-release-date/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So the Mayflash F500 I ordered came in, and it's great. For getting the muscle memory for motions, does anyone have any advice other than "do the same move for 15 minutes in training for any fighting game"?

Play arcade/survival/AI in training mode and try to do the thing you practiced. Having a moving target won't let you focus on execution alone, so don't worry if your success rate craters.