Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

None of those titles were during either companies peaks. In fact they were at the opposite end of the spectrum!

Sid couldn't have done a better job of missing the hottest periods of both WWF and WCW if he tried. It was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Sid couldn't have done a better job of missing the hottest periods of both WWF and WCW if he tried. It was incredible.

It's true he got out of his WCW deal to go to the WWF right after the Hulkamania boom had truly ended, then leaves WWF right before business turns around and comes back to WCW a few months after they completely fall apart.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

How are you a prominent wrestling star in the late 80's/early 90's and miss Hulkamania, the Attitude Era, and the rise and fall of the NWO?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Y'all are forgetting about Sid's first run in the WWF when Hulkamania was approaching its nadir. Hell he even feuded with the guy!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

As MRT said the Hulkamania boom was truly over at that point as seen by the fact the Rumble crowd turned hard on Hogan at the end. Sid getting cheered while Hogan watches on will never not be amusing as Hogan wonders why it happens (It's a mixture of Sid's charisma and Flair almost being turned Face by his Rumble run).

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Gorilla: LOOK AT THAT DASTARDLY SID HELPING TO ELIMINATE THE HULKSTER!

(dubbed in boos)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sid got a god pop when he turned up in ECW, and those crowds were trained to ferociously hate anything WCW related

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Better Than You posted:

Y'all are forgetting about Sid's first run in the WWF when Hulkamania was approaching its nadir. Hell he even feuded with the guy!

He got his release from WCW right after WrestleMania 7 which is pretty much the latest you can place the end point for the boom. They didn't even sell out the Sports Arena!

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
I think we need to look at the massive Softball gates before we judge Sid too harshly

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

22?!

https://youtu.be/BN9fHMY76io

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SID

https://twitter.com/gifapalooza/status/1323454721596837890?s=20

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I can't stop staring at that poor mans neck snap... and Sid's penis

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I have friends that aren't super into wrestling and show them clips of Sid and he leaves an impression.

We still use, "I don't know poo poo, crybaby!" as a reference to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCDDlSw9-A&t=158s

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5gTsQbQD44

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

I have friends that aren't super into wrestling and show them clips of Sid and he leaves an impression.

We still use, "I don't know poo poo, crybaby!" as a reference to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCDDlSw9-A&t=158s

That's over of my all time favorite Sid lines (and one I also reference regularly in real life) made better by this being one of my all time favorite RAW moments with Bret losing his poo poo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I guess there’s a really good interview with Jim Herd online now from Conrad.

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1326391886542753797?s=20

https://twitter.com/HeyHeyItsConrad/status/1322171336656064519?s=20

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jim Herd was always very entertaining on WOL and has absolutely no ego.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man I need to check that out

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/WCW_2021/status/1333683383923134464

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kind of amazed that account hasn't gotten nuked already

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

There are so many great things about that.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/DanMpFord/status/1333889984466722818?s=19
:hai:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is legal

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm going to sue them for calling me bald.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Truly the Real Monday Night Wars can begin again.

Time is cyclical.

Actually, can you own an acronym? Or just the words that go with it? Could World Challenger Wrestling exist and call themselves WCW without getting sued*? I'm guessing a court would rule that they're similar enough.

*I'm sure they would be sued regardless of legality.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ask the World Wildlife Fund.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IIRC there was a World Championship Wrestling before Turner used it, but it was in I wanna say Australia, and who knows how relevant that would have been to a US company

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like something a bird left on my car

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I personally look forward to many future greatest nights in the history of our sport.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Sandman McMahon posted:

I personally look forward to many future greatest nights in the history of our sport.
I'm mildly disappointed that Tony hasn't been ribbed about that on Dynamite yet

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's legit, Vince accidentally left the rights to WCW's IP at an Outback Steakhouse

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I disagree. It's way better with the lovely logo.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Truly the Real Monday Night Wars can begin again.

Time is cyclical.

Actually, can you own an acronym? Or just the words that go with it? Could World Challenger Wrestling exist and call themselves WCW without getting sued*? I'm guessing a court would rule that they're similar enough.

*I'm sure they would be sued regardless of legality.

Trademarks are to avoid confusion, and courts tend to use an "idiot in a hurry" standard. Prior art is a defense so the Australian company might be okay, but this is obviously trying to hook on to the known WCW property so you're infringing. (Even if they weren't using one of their logos.)

Someone might be able to open a heating & plumbing company called Waterworks Contractors of Waukeegan and call it WCW and that's in an entirely different realm (though again WWE might try.) If you're in the same business as another company, though, you absolutely have to make sure to avoid any confusion.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The servicemark registration for that particular logo is dead, though WWE has active trademarks on "World Championship Wrestling" (as a company name), the "classic" WCW logo, as well as for using "WCW' for any sort of apparel, "paper and cardboard" items (including gift wrap, comic books, posters, books, etc.) video games and television/film, and professional wrestling events.

WWE doesn't have the trademark for "WCW" if it's in the fields of welding (that's claimed by WCW Inc.) or hard cider (that's claimed by Willamette Cider Works). You've also got Watershed Car Wash, Wilmington Compliance Week, and Werner Cycle Works with "WCW" trademarks in the obvious fields.

The best thing to come of this search (and I secretly hope part of the above mentioned Twitter account) is this filing from just over a month ago:

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Better Than You posted:

I'm mildly disappointed that Tony hasn't been ribbed about that on Dynamite yet

They’re saving it for next week when Kenny drops the belt to Jericho in The Fingerpoke of Doom Pt. 2

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

The servicemark registration for that particular logo is dead, though WWE has active trademarks on "World Championship Wrestling" (as a company name), the "classic" WCW logo, as well as for using "WCW' for any sort of apparel, "paper and cardboard" items (including gift wrap, comic books, posters, books, etc.) video games and television/film, and professional wrestling events.

WWE doesn't have the trademark for "WCW" if it's in the fields of welding (that's claimed by WCW Inc.) or hard cider (that's claimed by Willamette Cider Works). You've also got Watershed Car Wash, Wilmington Compliance Week, and Werner Cycle Works with "WCW" trademarks in the obvious fields.

The best thing to come of this search (and I secretly hope part of the above mentioned Twitter account) is this filing from just over a month ago:

Does the World Wildlife Fund hold professional wrestling events?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

El Gallinero Gros posted:

IIRC there was a World Championship Wrestling before Turner used it, but it was in I wanna say Australia, and who knows how relevant that would have been to a US company

Australian WCW was basically the Australian NWA territory. Jim Barnett helped establish it, and I think used the name when he started at Georgia Championship Wrestling??

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

mexican willie posted:

Does the World Wildlife Fund hold professional wrestling events?
That wasn't an American court case, and in fact the gist of the agreement (from 93-94) was that the World Wrestling Federation (who filed for a "WWF" trademark in 1989) would get to be WWF in the United States and "World Wrestling Federation" across the rest of the world, and that the World Wildlife Fund could be "WWF" everywhere except the United States, where they'd spell their name out.

Both companies got to use their distinct logos with the initialization worldwide and were allowed to 'casually' mention the initials (i.e. a US fundraising letter from the World Wildlife Foundation could say "with your help WWF has saved over twenty endangered marsh bird species", Vince McMahon could say "the newest WWF champion" on commentary on a UK VHS tape of Summerslam) but otherwise they had to spell out their name in the other WWF's stated territory. (CLARIFICATION: Re-reading the agreement I think the Fund could use WWF wherever they wanted, since they existed for decades longer)

Things like registering wwf.com on the world wide web called into question just how careful the World Wrestling Federation was being about not using the initials outside of the United States, which led to a second legal complaint, which Titan Sports lost conclusively.

Actually Bix wrote this all up earlier in the year better than I'm going to, but Vince signed an agreement and then decided after a few years that the agreement didn't count, and eventually was told in international court that it did. And then Vince decided to GET THE F OUT.

But that has nothing to do (directly) with trademark filings.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 2, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/WCW_2021/status/1333967814517026824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
"via gmail" just sounds like that person is a total moron.
I also don't believe for a second the "only 50%" thing until/unless it comes from somewhere with a sniff of legitimacy