Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm glad Tech Jesus didn't die for our tech sins while riding that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm appreciating Linus' salty as gently caress intro to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XaOeLPztN4

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
can the hardware unboxed guy please shave his handlebar mustache what in the world does he think that does for him

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It makes him about as rideable as the AMBike.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

It makes him about as rideable as the AMBike.

Lol. I've only seen him the first time a few days ago for a monitor review and just thought this was his hipster look. Going a bit back, he looks way less creepy with the stubble.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I loled when they did that in the video. Also to be fair when they said that in the launch presentation.

Also when this one showed up in my recommendations after searching for banggood drill reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wwia_aRL0c

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
A tech youtuber who posts enough dumb takes to sometimes get called out by other techtubers

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1323033871890345984
https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1263775308253220865
He's like the embodiment of the saying "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" and I can't look away

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 2, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is tech deals the same channel where that guy smiles way too creepily

mewse
May 2, 2006

buglord posted:

Is tech deals the same channel where that guy smiles way too creepily

Ah he's the young republican looking guy. Figures

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
After getting over Tech deals hair and teeth, I really enjoy him. Even with his home shopping network like delivery. But I also know poo poo-all about the nitty gritty of computer tech.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Purgatory Glory posted:

But I also know poo poo-all about the nitty gritty of computer tech.

Watching Tech Deals seems like it’ll keep it that way!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
To be fair to the tech deals guy, some of the original micro-stutter research by the TR and PCPer guys (they quit their sites) was very difficult to do with standard frame logging. There was that special equipment nvidia developed to see it that involved capturing high-speed video and analyzing each frame to see what was actually happening on the display, because fraps or even internal game logging wasn't accurate to that level.

But OTOH I dunno if the techdeals guy is testing poo poo with any extra-special methods himself. If what he's calling "micro-stutter" is what everyone else calls "1% lows" then he's wildly off base.

And on the third hand IMO micro-stutter -- the real micro-stutter not 1% low frames -- is the biggest loving boogieman. Even back 5-10 years ago, when it was much worse and a thing you could point out in the data, it was like whoooooooo gives a poo poo. Micro-stutter only shows up when your framerate is significantly higher than your screen refresh rate. Turn on vsync and poof it's gone. The research into how you detect stuff like that was really neat, but the results only matter to people who care more about jerking it to benchmarks than playing games.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tech Deals has some great no-nonsense purchasing advice. A lot of his videos are super long though but he gets really nerdy about bang for buck and I appreciate it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I dunno if I'd call myself a fan of Dawid, but this video on single core gaming in 2020 is pretty neat.

https://youtu.be/m5kJhTAaDno

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mu Zeta posted:

Tech Deals has some great no-nonsense purchasing advice. A lot of his videos are super long though but he gets really nerdy about bang for buck and I appreciate it.

Yeah sometimes I just need something to drone on in the background while I'm doing something boring and it's good for that.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Someone photoshop Nerd Jesus into the old timey Bible story when the actual Jesus had the meltdown at the Temple...

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I’m really loving tired of Linus‘s teeshirt lottery scam.

He’s doing another limited run of T-shirts and people are straight up asking if this one has a prize connected he’s like” oh no no no no no I would never do such a thing but if you buy the shirt something might happen.”

They deserve to have Canada‘s legal arm up their rear end for this, it is obvious what’s going on here.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gonna need some background there. People are buying Linus's shirts?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spunkshui posted:

I’m really loving tired of Linus‘s teeshirt lottery scam.

He’s doing another limited run of T-shirts and people are straight up asking if this one has a prize connected he’s like” oh no no no no no I would never do such a thing but if you buy the shirt something might happen.”

They deserve to have Canada‘s legal arm up their rear end for this, it is obvious what’s going on here.

:qq:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry I’m not excited about people scamming children on youtube with gambling schemes?

Some Goon posted:

Gonna need some background there. People are buying Linus's shirts?

At some point during the pandemic he decided to have a giveaway where some shirts would be different and then those people would win some prizes. Then the very same evening he decided that he announced another limited run but definitely not guaranteeing the same thing would happen because that would be super illegal, according to him.

Now every single shirt is a limited run where he winks at the camera and says that he can’t promise anything but something might happen if you buy it.

It’s loving loot crates for YouTube.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah this is a whole thing among techies right now, retro game reproduction carts do a similar thing. Like the reproduction run of Street Fighter 2 carts where some people would randomly get a translucent green cart instead of a regular grey one.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It's buying a tangible item with the chance of something extra. That's not gambling lol

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

Yeah this is a whole thing among techies right now, retro game reproduction carts do a similar thing. Like the reproduction run of Street Fighter 2 carts where some people would randomly get a translucent green cart instead of a regular grey one.

I’d be chill with it if they were a little more smoother made it a little more random but literally every time it’s like “guys were not doing a contest because that would be illegal but if you buy our limited run shirt...”

https://youtu.be/aS9OgLifVjQ

@22:40

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

It's buying a tangible item with the chance of something extra. That's not gambling lol

It’s illegal to announce there’s a chance of getting something extra according to him when he did it the first time which is why he couldn’t announce it before he sold all the shirts.

Seems like a pretty fun and fair competition when done like that. (The first time)

Then 10 minutes later he announced that they were going to do another limited run of T-shirts that have a picture of a keyboard on the front but “definitely not confirming that this is another contest.”

The 300 shirts sold out in minutes and they were all gone before the show ended.

Edit: In a lot of ways this is way shittier than it being upfront and openly a contest but apparently that’s illegal according to him.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 8, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s not illegal, he would just have to do a lot more work to do it legally, especially internationally.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Is it really that different than a Bag of Crap from Woot, back when Woot was actually like...fun?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Legally, yes, AIUI.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

spunkshui posted:

I’d be chill with it if they were a little more smoother made it a little more random but literally every time it’s like “guys were not doing a contest because that would be illegal but if you buy our limited run shirt...”

https://youtu.be/aS9OgLifVjQ

@22:40

He literally says buying a shirt in the hope of getting something more is a dumb reason for buying their shirts at the timestamp you've linked. :shrug:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Theophany posted:

He literally says buying a shirt in the hope of getting something more is a dumb reason for buying their shirts at the timestamp you've linked. :shrug:

"There's no competition all you get is a shirt, and if something else happened to happen then that would happen...."

Weird thing to say when all your doing is just selling shirts, just saying.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Excellent understanding of Canadian law regarding selling shirts ITT

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Not worth getting IRL angry about YouTube tech idiot loot boxes imho

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Not worth getting IRL angry about YouTube tech idiot loot boxes imho

Lmao at people watching Linus

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You're gonna watch the secret shopper

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Former Human posted:

Excellent understanding of Canadian law regarding selling shirts ITT

linus had better hope none of these shirts period ever sell to a quebecker or he's in for some real hard poo poo

https://financialpost.com/entrepreneur/why-many-contests-exclude-quebec-residents

basically if the prizes are over $2001 ever and there's a quebecker in the draw pool linus can get legally hosed seventeen ways to sunday

and for those of you who aren't canadians, linus does not live in quebec

quebec does not care

quebec will ratfuck him to the very large extent of the law just for the hell of it

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Let's get REAL MAD that this Canadian company based in British Columbia advertises the poo poo out of their store and as a PROUD CANADIAN the store is in all US Dollars and probably even ships from AMERICA. Where's the justice in that, Linus? Sounds like dilution of Canadian culture and businesses which is probably breaking a bunch of provincial and federal laws. I'm writing a letter to Horgan & Trudeau as we speak!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Wirth1000 posted:

Let's get REAL MAD that this Canadian company based in British Columbia advertises the poo poo out of their store and as a PROUD CANADIAN the store is in all US Dollars and probably even ships from AMERICA. Where's the justice in that, Linus? Sounds like dilution of Canadian culture and businesses which is probably breaking a bunch of provincial and federal laws. I'm writing a letter to Horgan & Trudeau as we speak!

i'm not being some idiot for canadian patriotism, "don't gently caress with quebec" is basically an unspoken rule in Canada

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Arivia posted:

i'm not being some idiot for canadian patriotism, "don't gently caress with quebec" is basically an unspoken rule in Canada

What? No. My post was entirely original content. I live in Ontario. I'm more than aware of all the 'Contest/Coupon/Offer not valid in Quebec.' printed on literally everything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s fun seeing linus branch out into completely new areas to gently caress up in and probably propel himself to even more success, inexplicably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Im not mad I’m just disappointed.