Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh apparently Red started up a Party tricks shop. As it shows up in the most recent movie. In a hint that Scarecrow is actually a red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

I've heard several times that one of the (more minor) reasons the creators of Tiny Toons decided to cancel the show was the high number of letters they got wherein people talked about how much they wanted to have sex with the characters. anybody know if that's the case? because yikesaroo

I guess Tiny Toons and Animaniacs did overtly portray sexuality in a way that cartoons made throughout the 80s and 70s really didn't as part of homaging the original Looney Tunes that was made for adults.

I guess that'd be really shocking if you had grown up in the 80s and then here's this cartoon right as you're hitting puberty.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess Tiny Toons and Animaniacs did overtly portray sexuality in a way that cartoons made throughout the 80s and 70s really didn't as part of homaging the original Looney Tunes that was made for adults.

I guess that'd be really shocking if you had grown up in the 80s and then here's this cartoon right as you're hitting puberty.
The Minerva Mink segments are kinda... you know...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Apparently Sid and Marty Krofft are both still alive, which surprised me a bit

Also apparently they made a children's show centered around Richard Pryor which seems like a recipe for disaster to me

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently Sid and Marty Krofft are both still alive, which surprised me a bit

Also apparently they made a children's show centered around Richard Pryor which seems like a recipe for disaster to me

And yet, ironically, probably would have been a safer bet historically than making a children's show centered around Bill Cosby turned out to be :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet, ironically, probably would have been a safer bet historically than making a children's show centered around Bill Cosby turned out to be :v:

It's a shame that Fat Albert is tainted by what Bill Cosby did

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

It's a shame that Fat Albert is tainted by what Bill Cosby did

The speech Cosby gives at the end of the episode where Fat Albert and friends go to prison has a very Kevin Spacey energy to it, and I mean that in the worst way possible.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The final season of Kipo was great.
I still feel like Netflix has done a really poo poo job of promoting it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh no what ever will we do without the worst part of the show.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

For real, was there anyone (aside from the random-rear end exec who mandated it) who actually liked her?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My sister liked Elmyra because she also liked cute animals, and it was also probably the Mr. Skullhead hair bow, since she liked Hot Topic clothes. I didn't like my sister growing up because she did things like say quote Beavis and Butthead saying "Fire!" over and over to my mentally disabled half-sister, because it'd make her upset and yell. I'm on neutral, acquaintance-level terms with her now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I had a teacher in middle school that liked her, but if I remember right it was mostly due to her voice which, to Cree Summer's credit, is pretty distinct.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What would a more modern interpretation of Elmyra be? A ditzy environmentalist who does more harm than good?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember liking her but I also don't remember disliking her as much as the rest of the internet does. She's just a neutral character in my memory. Granted, I never saw the Pinky & the Brain episodes/spin-off she was in (which is weird because I loved P&tB and could've sworn I'd seen them all) so maybe that would've turned my opinion

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So I finally finished Tangled: The Series.

I feel like it was two different shows in one. Every season's first two thirds were fun slice of life episodes which were great, and the last third were overarching plot episodes which were also great.

I always liked Rapunzel from the movie but now with the entire show, she's even better. The finale was great, the music was great, the last little scene with her and Eugene was great. Terrific show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
King hector owns. Love his Seals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

a neat cape posted:

I feel like it was two different shows in one. Every season's first two thirds were fun slice of life episodes which were great, and the last third were overarching plot episodes which were also great.

Weird thing is this is sounds kinda like Steven Universe. Though maybe in reverse, since SU usually has big plot events come on pretty suddenly (if foreshadowed) and episodes afterwards focus on the aftermath.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weird thing is this is sounds kinda like Steven Universe. Though maybe in reverse, since SU usually has big plot events come on pretty suddenly (if foreshadowed) and episodes afterwards focus on the aftermath.

I can see that. My issue with SU doing that was I was watching it as it cane out, which meant all those unfortunate hiatuses.

And that no one in SU was as likeable as Rapunzel.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Uh... Yeah there was Pearl, Amethyst and Garnet who were all amazing. And Greg.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Uh... Yeah there was Pearl, Amethyst and Garnet who were all amazing. And Greg.

Yeah they were pretty good. Just not Raps tier for me

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:toot:

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/1326375828628844546

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

X-O posted:

Oh no what ever will we do without the worst part of the show.

Regalingualius posted:

For real, was there anyone (aside from the random-rear end exec who mandated it) who actually liked her?

she was fine on Tiny Toons, honestly, and was mostly terrible when she got shoehorned into other things because of that exec.

like, she's a one-note character, but one-note characters can be totally workable and fine if they're part of a big ensemble. once you then try to break that one-note character out and start hammering their thing into the ground, it gets intolerable.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
Somebody please bring back action and rock n roll packed cartoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI__EW_fPJs

C'mon, kids are smart. Even all the jaded "its a long toy commercial" jabs at this stuff is bullshit they can see through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMS6ECEPhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdu0TdcFXFw

Yeah I made fun of that a few times, but how about this; I'll be a dick about art and not business. That's an agreeable rule, yeah?

I repeat; someone bring back action and rock and roll cartoons.

I've got a lot of sympathy for folks who make cartoons these days, even if I don't watch my mouth about it enough. It's always gonna be another adult who tries to ruin a good premise and a good thing.

Edit; I just checked Mattel's website and the least expensive barbie and ken dolls are about 8 bucks. I wasn't gonna rant anyway, but that's good news. Theres still stuff kids can buy with their allowance.

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 12, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I wouldn't say no to a Trigger / Doods who did RotTMNT (that is such an unfortunate accronym) animated series based on Battlesuars (from Toy Story).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kids don't give a poo poo if a show's a toy commercial as long as they're good toys.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Insert a Name Here posted:

Somebody please bring back action and rock n roll packed cartoons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI__EW_fPJs

As a kid who was into dinosaurs, the commercials for this show pissed me off far too much for me to watch it.

Finished Kipo, it was good.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

Beachcomber posted:

As a kid who was into dinosaurs, the commercials for this show pissed me off far too much for me to watch it.

Finished Kipo, it was good.

*writing in notebook*

Show did not take dinosaurs seriously, lost viewers. Consider making a pre-emptive educational show next time.

Edit; One time when I was a lot younger I had a dream that I was throwing barrels with Donkey Kong at some dude who kept running at us.

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 12, 2020

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kids don't give a poo poo if a show's a toy commercial as long as it's a good show.

I envy every kid growing up in this age of non-poo poo TV. The Seventies and Eighties were... not a good time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems like it isn't viable anymore for toy companies to just commission a cartoon series to advertise their new product now that they have to compete with complex cartoons with actual budgets behind them.

Or maybe new toy franchises are crowded out on the other end by pre-established IPs so that it's hard for them to get the funding to make a cartoon?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems like it isn't viable anymore for toy companies to just commission a cartoon series to advertise their new product now that they have to compete with complex cartoons with actual budgets behind them.

Or maybe new toy franchises are crowded out on the other end by pre-established IPs so that it's hard for them to get the funding to make a cartoon?

I'm thinking the latter. I mean, I haven't cruised the toy aisle at Walmart in a while, but the last time I was there it seems pretty dominated by stuff like superheroes (Marvel in particular, naturally), Transformers, Star Wars and other established brands.

Although personally I think it would be harder for toy companies to advertise (or make a cartoon designed to sell toys) purely because of the sheer amount of places kids watch cartoons nowadays. I mean, Nick and CN are there but kids watch a ton of content through streaming services (which is why it seems like CN is producing more content for HBO Max than for their own network), and it feels like there's a new one of those popping up all the time.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I feel like there are still shows that primarily exist to sell toys, they just tend to skew towards a much younger demographic these days. Thinking about stuff like Paw Patrol, there's a ton of Paw Patrol merch.

Also, since the OP brought up Barbie, last I checked they were still pumping out Barbie movies on the regular.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Watching youtube with the kids and we came across a Steven Universe song about love and relationship being stable and was wondering where one could watch it online.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Watching youtube with the kids and we came across a Steven Universe song about love and relationship being stable and was wondering where one could watch it online.

It's available for purchase on Amazon and it's up for streaming on HBO Max.

It's also on Hulu, but for whatever reason they just did up through season 4 and stopped.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

Him and Shaggy's girlfriend from Reluctant Werewolf definitely top the list of characters that should show up in a movie someday(the Grimwood Girls too but theyre the kind of thing you'd have to center a whole movie around, not just as a cameo or guest star)

100% agree. I always loved those movies.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also the Hex Girls. I know they've already returned but that doesn't mean they can't return AGAIN

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Grimwood Girls actually got an entire cameo episode in OK KO, which somehow was not the most unbelievable cameo episode in OK KO.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know how many cameo episodes OK KO had, but I know one of them was the conclusion to Ian J's long-abandoned webcomic, so they get pretty nutty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lego is also a thing, though they've been leaning a lot on the cross-promotions lately.

Might be the idea that kids these days don't buy nearly as many toys when they can get video games instead.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My 3yo niece just got duplo (from us), Barbie, and retro 90s style Polly Pocket.

The 5yo nephew is massively into Transformers, which he often builds out of Lego.

I think he watches a little kid version of Transformers, but I'm not sure because they live 3000 miles away and Covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

Cattail Prophet posted:

I feel like there are still shows that primarily exist to sell toys, they just tend to skew towards a much younger demographic these days. Thinking about stuff like Paw Patrol, there's a ton of Paw Patrol merch.

Also, since the OP brought up Barbie, last I checked they were still pumping out Barbie movies on the regular.

She is so COOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzkirFdJoFQ