Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

sfwarlock posted:

Huh, coulda sworn I wrote this up. Maybe I got half done and ADHDed off and never hit Submit. I've been away from forums due to having a small mental breakdown about health things and election things and being pretty sure I'm getting set up to be cut loose in the new year. BUT -

A couple days after my last update we all got an email from Laidback Larry with a lot of management about openness, transparency, honesty, etc. At the end, he put something like "If you take away nothing else from this email, take this: do not lie to me. If you do, and I find out, I don't have a lot of options."

Ben was no longer employed as of that morning.

I resisted the urge to say WE GOT 'IM!

Ooh, straight into my veins :allears:

Sorry to hear about the stress you're under. I hope the weather's nice where you are today and you can at least enjoy some fresh air and sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

sfwarlock posted:

Huh, coulda sworn I wrote this up. Maybe I got half done and ADHDed off and never hit Submit. I've been away from forums due to having a small mental breakdown about health things and election things and being pretty sure I'm getting set up to be cut loose in the new year. BUT -

A couple days after my last update we all got an email from Laidback Larry with a lot of management about openness, transparency, honesty, etc. At the end, he put something like "If you take away nothing else from this email, take this: do not lie to me. If you do, and I find out, I don't have a lot of options."

Ben was no longer employed as of that morning.

I resisted the urge to say WE GOT 'IM!

Meanwhile, we're hiring to replace the new guy, again. Guess whose resume was on top of the pile for me to look at? Marvin Graystache, of unlamented memory! I returned it with "I worked with him at xxx. I do not recommend hire."

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, my job has spent the last 3.5 years trying to find creative ways of pushing me to my limits to see if they can get me to quit. For context and background on the latest bit, I started school back in March, 2 weeks before Covid hit and hosed everything up. At the time, I had just gone down to part time, 6 hour shifts, 3 days a week with the expectation that I'd be in school, and this would be all the hours I could give them. Of course, Covid, and suddenly the wife is without a job, I'm declared essential, and I'm pulling in 1/4 what I was before. I was told I "probably wouldn't get unemployment because I voluntarily reduced my hours". I ended up getting talked out of taking a voluntary furlough(I know, stupid me), and was basically stuck this way for 6 months. Thankfully, we planned ahead and had savings and were able to keep ahead on bills and such through the whole thing.

Fast forward to September, and school resumes. Cool and good. And we're doing an accelerated version of the program because we did all the book work online during the last few months. We get to 2 weeks ago, and there's a company-wide meeting about how we're switching to the Shared Work program. Summing it up, it means that 2 days out of the week are non-work days, and employees who work at least 1 day a week can collect 40% of the unemployment they would normally otherwise get. Cool, I think. The days taken off are Monday and Friday. Since I was working M/W/F, I'll go down to 1 day and get paid for 3. Neat. I ask the head of HR after the meeting how this would effect me, considering my part time status. She doesn't know if it will effect me differently, but will get back to me.

Fast forward again to this past Wednesday, when HR finally gets back to me. Keep in mind, this is the first full week of Shared Work, and the only day I've worked this week is Wednesday. She showed me the emails from the department of labor and delivered the bad news that, because my work reduction was 67%, and the cap is 60%, I don't qualify for the program. This means I'm SOL for the money for those 2 days. I could quit, but then I don't think I'd get unemployment for that. I ask if they can just lay me off then, as a mercy thing, and HR refuses, citing company goal of no layoffs through Covid.

So.... I'm stuck working 1 day a week, making $60/week. And I guess I get to deal with it. I filed for unemployment anyway, but haven't heard back yet. I expect they'll deny me for some reason or another, aaaand that's basically it till I get a different job, which isn't happening nearly as fast as my school coordinator lead me to believe it would.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, my job has spent the last 3.5 years trying to find creative ways of pushing me to my limits to see if they can get me to quit. For context and background on the latest bit, I started school back in March, 2 weeks before Covid hit and hosed everything up. At the time, I had just gone down to part time, 6 hour shifts, 3 days a week with the expectation that I'd be in school, and this would be all the hours I could give them. Of course, Covid, and suddenly the wife is without a job, I'm declared essential, and I'm pulling in 1/4 what I was before. I was told I "probably wouldn't get unemployment because I voluntarily reduced my hours". I ended up getting talked out of taking a voluntary furlough(I know, stupid me), and was basically stuck this way for 6 months. Thankfully, we planned ahead and had savings and were able to keep ahead on bills and such through the whole thing.

Fast forward to September, and school resumes. Cool and good. And we're doing an accelerated version of the program because we did all the book work online during the last few months. We get to 2 weeks ago, and there's a company-wide meeting about how we're switching to the Shared Work program. Summing it up, it means that 2 days out of the week are non-work days, and employees who work at least 1 day a week can collect 40% of the unemployment they would normally otherwise get. Cool, I think. The days taken off are Monday and Friday. Since I was working M/W/F, I'll go down to 1 day and get paid for 3. Neat. I ask the head of HR after the meeting how this would effect me, considering my part time status. She doesn't know if it will effect me differently, but will get back to me.

Fast forward again to this past Wednesday, when HR finally gets back to me. Keep in mind, this is the first full week of Shared Work, and the only day I've worked this week is Wednesday. She showed me the emails from the department of labor and delivered the bad news that, because my work reduction was 67%, and the cap is 60%, I don't qualify for the program. This means I'm SOL for the money for those 2 days. I could quit, but then I don't think I'd get unemployment for that. I ask if they can just lay me off then, as a mercy thing, and HR refuses, citing company goal of no layoffs through Covid.

So.... I'm stuck working 1 day a week, making $60/week. And I guess I get to deal with it. I filed for unemployment anyway, but haven't heard back yet. I expect they'll deny me for some reason or another, aaaand that's basically it till I get a different job, which isn't happening nearly as fast as my school coordinator lead me to believe it would.

Yeah, unless labor laws in your state are completely hosed, a 67% reduction in hours that you have no control over and your company won't work with you on should be a valid unemployment claim.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

dragonshardz posted:

Yeah, unless labor laws in your state are completely hosed, a 67% reduction in hours that you have no control over and your company won't work with you on should be a valid unemployment claim.

Hopefully I'll hear some positive news on Monday. Since posting that, the wife got 4 letters from the DOL re: her unemployment. Long story short, she left her one job due to covid concerns, then like a week later they temporarily closed due to regulations and requirements around covid. She then went to work at a couple different places on a temporary basis while she got things together to start her own business. The letters assert that she was actually employed during that time, and never properly left the first job. The evidence cited was, and I'm quoting it here, "_____". Yeah, like, blank. It was left blank. She called some of her old coworkers, and apparently literally everyone got at least one of those letters. We're guessing that her old boss never filled out the paperwork or something. We're all, her old coworkers included, hoping that this is basically just a double check by the state, and that they're not going to try and bill us all for the unemployment or something. The whole situation is kinda hosed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

duffmensch posted:

Customer facing ISP support is its own special level of hell.

My best call ever was two brothers. One knew a little English, but nothing about computers. The other knew a little about computers, but no English.

The whole call was the one brother trying to translate as I gave instructions, and at a few points things weren't working and they were just shouting at each other in some other language.
They got through it, and they were nice to me and appreciative at the end.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My best call ever was two brothers. One knew a little English, but nothing about computers. The other knew a little about computers, but no English.

The whole call was the one brother trying to translate as I gave instructions, and at a few points things weren't working and they were just shouting at each other in some other language.

It's always fun when the actual technical terms are different between languages, and you have to rely on descriptions given in small-ish words.

"My brother says he needs to know... the number that is not the actual number for the computer but the number that tells it what others it can talk to, the ones in the same... chunk? He says it has something to do with just 1 and 0, but somehow it is also very often 255. Does any of this make sense?"

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Powered Descent posted:

It's always fun when the actual technical terms are different between languages, and you have to rely on descriptions given in small-ish words.

"My brother says he needs to know... the number that is not the actual number for the computer but the number that tells it what others it can talk to, the ones in the same... chunk? He says it has something to do with just 1 and 0, but somehow it is also very often 255. Does any of this make sense?"

That's a shocking amount of detail for what usually happens with that sort of thing.

I'd have expected "The numbers that aren't the numbers but are the other numbers" from most people.

Honestly if they know that much detail about it but can't remember "netmask" that seems more like a brain fart than anything else.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Welp, just got an email in the internal queue with the title "COVID-19 - Positive Result"

boy I sure do love having to reactivate licences on Surface Pros that have been off-network for 180 days in a pandemic

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

That's a shocking amount of detail for what usually happens with that sort of thing.

I'd have expected "The numbers that aren't the numbers but are the other numbers" from most people.

Honestly if they know that much detail about it but can't remember "netmask" that seems more like a brain fart than anything else.

Is it called a "netmask' in hindi? Because the issue is translation

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My boss likes to brag about how many unread emails he has.
I'm like dude that just means you're probably not doing your job.

Our org is slack based and I have ram this home when talking to vendors who complain that we just @ them in our shared channel instead of emailing or opening a ticket. The only emails I get are GitHub, jira and vendors.

One of my best bosses even set up an internal vacation responder in g suite, so if you emailed her from the company it’d say “I don’t check email, slack me instead”

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Chinese immigrant family in South Africa. None of the adults spoke English. The only one in the family who did was eight years old. He spoke broken English with a heavy mix of South African and Chineese accents on random words.

But gently caress it all, I got that kid's router port forwarding configured so his console could connect to the internet and he could scream racial abuse at whoever he liked :science:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

a ticket came in: user offline

i'm fairly sure at this moment in time that the landlord has shut off power to our equipment but will update when i can actually get ahold of them

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

luminalflux posted:

Our org is slack based and I have ram this home when talking to vendors who complain that we just @ them in our shared channel instead of emailing or opening a ticket. The only emails I get are GitHub, jira and vendors.

gently caress their issue tracking then, hey?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

Your issue tracking is done in email instead of a dedicated ticketing/issue tracking system?

Because just copy/pasting the update into the ticket is trivial, and if you get such volume of slack based stuff that it becomes a time sync, write a plug-in

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

RFC2324 posted:

Is it called a "netmask' in hindi? Because the issue is translation

Ah, missed that bit. Either way, it looks really close if google translate is to be trusted, and it makes sense that it would be a cognate:

नेटमास्क
netamaask

Still though, I missed that part. Sorry.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Shugojin posted:

a ticket came in: user offline

i'm fairly sure at this moment in time that the landlord has shut off power to our equipment but will update when i can actually get ahold of them

loving called it lmao

BUT III'M PAYING FOR THE ELECTRIC NOW :qq:

well pay for some real circuits to be put in that aren't related to just one tenant

also it uses like a dollar of power a month anyway

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shortspecialbus posted:

Ah, missed that bit. Either way, it looks really close if google translate is to be trusted, and it makes sense that it would be a cognate:

नेटमास्क
netamaask

Still though, I missed that part. Sorry.

Tbh my immediate reaction to it was "use a translator app for the technical words" too, so same page anyway

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Your issue tracking is done in email instead of a dedicated ticketing/issue tracking system?

Because just copy/pasting the update into the ticket is trivial, and if you get such volume of slack based stuff that it becomes a time sync, write a plug-in

Given how much people in this thread rail against people who don't open tickets, "just copy paste it into a ticket" is quite the hypocritical take.

Also you conveniently missed this part, I guess:

luminalflux posted:

Our org is slack based and I have ram this home when talking to vendors who complain that we just @ them in our shared channel instead of emailing or opening a ticket.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jaded Burnout posted:

Given how much people in this thread rail against people who don't open tickets, "just copy paste it into a ticket" is quite the hypocritical take.

Also you conveniently missed this part, I guess:

Yup, missed the actively not opening a ticket, my bad. Thats pretty bullshit.

Just thinking about all the tickets I have worked through teams or webex or whatever chat the client preferred, and the fact that I have nevet had a problem with a simple task that I would have to do when they called me instead of pming me.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Speaking of tickets, another one came in.

:derp: "Remove my VPN access!"
:raise: "Why do you want your VPN access removed? Please note that the VPN is in place to ensure the security and safety of your network connection while away from the office."
:byodame: "Well it makes my internet and my computer slow and I can't get to certain websites and I don't need access to our network files. My supervisor approved!"
:captainpop: "I'm...going to have to get the security team to sign off on that."

Yes, we're totally going to make an exception to an org-wide rollout of a long overdue software solution because you can't gently caress around on Facebook all day. :mad:

(We're not, the Security crew is going to tell the user to pound sand.)

E: We got an email from the Security boss giving us exact language citing policy which we can use to tell users to gently caress off if they ask for the VPN to be uninstalled.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 2, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Well all know the time-honored ritual of "turn it off, then back on again". But that seems somehow more intimidating than usual when "it" is a $165,000 mass spectrometer even if I do have Agilent support on the line.

Naturally it fixed the issue.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
One of my first solo overnight maintenances was rebooting an 8x100 gig linecard in a cisco ASR. A cursory google search puts the price of that card as "more money than I can comprehend".

Of course, the card imploded on itself and I got to make a very panicked 1AM phone call to a very unfortunate engineer who had to drive 3 hours to swap it.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 3, 2020

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Should have turned the card off and on again :colbert:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dragonshardz posted:

Speaking of tickets, another one came in.

:derp: "Remove my VPN access!"
:raise: "Why do you want your VPN access removed? Please note that the VPN is in place to ensure the security and safety of your network connection while away from the office."
:byodame: "Well it makes my internet and my computer slow and I can't get to certain websites and I don't need access to our network files. My supervisor approved!"
:captainpop: "I'm...going to have to get the security team to sign off on that."

Yes, we're totally going to make an exception to an org-wide rollout of a long overdue software solution because you can't gently caress around on Facebook all day. :mad:

(We're not, the Security crew is going to tell the user to pound sand.)

E: We got an email from the Security boss giving us exact language citing policy which we can use to tell users to gently caress off if they ask for the VPN to be uninstalled.

y'all need split tunnel

blocking websites at work is all fine and good I suppose but it always seems draconian to me

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

y'all need split tunnel

blocking websites at work is all fine and good I suppose but it always seems draconian to me

If you absolutely must filter client web poo poo you can do it with a software agent of some variety or just split tunnel with forced application access through VDI so you can keep em in the sandbox. Tunneling idiot Facebook crap and YouTube videos seems silly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yes, internet connections are getting quicker at a pace far in excess of the ability for a firewall doing mitm SSL stuff to keep up, it makes no sense to tunnel everything back to a datacentre somewhere and then send 70% back out onto the internet. We did a job for a client and they insisted on running full tunnels so realtime voice traffic for WFH users goes over a VPN to their DC, then over an MPLS to a branch office where it's routed out via a couple of internet connections we manage. It's as poo poo as you'd imagine.

Just use Webroot or Umbrella or something, and have the device compliance depend on those agents being loaded.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Even my rightfully paranoid job gave up on forcing all traffic down the VPN right before the pandemic hit, thank gently caress. That would have crippled us.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
just some some cloud provider like zscaler or cloudflare to intercept and mitm all tls as a web proxy and split-tunnel the rest into your onprem

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

Even my rightfully paranoid job gave up on forcing all traffic down the VPN right before the pandemic hit, thank gently caress. That would have crippled us.

Fortunately it’s like 4 lines at the anyconnect/whatever head end to undo this silliness. This was the policy at my previous job which instantly changed when COVID started and the company was maxing out the VPN circuits about a week into the initial shutdown

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

For stuff that's very much a "I need you to do <x> in my environment" I open tickets. Most of the time, I tend to ask more open-ended questions that are like "Hey, we'd like to set up autoscaling lifecycle hooks, do you have any guidance on that / has anyone done that? I can lay out what we're doing", or "what do you think about this pipeline design idea i have" or "uh do you know if this plays well with the latest packer version?" and they respond with "Please open a ticket" for anything.

This is in contrast to our AWS TAMs, who are also in our slack and usually responsible "I'll go take a look, in the meantime here's some docs/have you checked x" before reverting to having us open support cases (especially in the case of us finding stuff like, Ansible's maven_artifact not working with CodeArtifact).

edit: this is also a ticketing system that for some reason won't send emails on updates to change requests, only cases that I open.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Iron Rose posted:

y'all need split tunnel

Split tunnel ist verboten. State/department policy.

Most of the poo poo we block at the firewall level is known malicious domains, with a leavening of porn and game sites.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

y'all need split tunnel

Prior to the rona the usual answer from infosec about split tunnels was "gently caress off". It's usually a request to get around filters that management insist are required "for productivity" or something stupid like a wifi printer because they haven't realised that people aren't watching them pretend to read emails in the break room anymore.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I got an email from a manager that a user's monitor "was all black", with the user cc:'d. I was working from home today so I wrote back asking for more info, figuring I'd have to send our on-site guy over to check the connections, all the usual stuff, when the user started responding to the emails, reiterating (caps hers) "EVERYTHING IS BLK". I didn't get how she was responding with a black screen, so I got her on the phone and remote-assisted.

Apparently she was wiping her keyboard down with some disinfectant wipes and hit some hotkey to turn on high-contrast mode. Everything was black alright, along with highlights of blue and yellow. That was a new one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dragonshardz posted:

Assuming most of these VPN users are working from home, what's stopping them from just... using their own personal computer (or tablet, phone, or whatever they prefer) for non-work stuff? You know, the one they use when they aren't working. Why ask for exceptions in the company filters so as to do their Facebook fuckery on their work laptop specifically? They're at home, they can set things up on their desk however they like, and the boss isn't going to sneak up behind them and catch them looking at the wrong screen.

Like, for me to go back and forth between my work laptop and my shitposting station, I just rotate my chair 90 degrees. It works great.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Why the gently caress would you sign in to any form of (banking|email|social media|...) account on a machine that's logged, audited, MITM, keylogged, all traffic sniffed, data loss prevention addons running?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

People are incredibly lazy and privileged

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

"It's my work computer! IT put a firewall on it!"

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

Why the gently caress would you sign in to any form of (banking|email|social media|...) account on a machine that's logged, audited, MITM, keylogged, all traffic sniffed, data loss prevention addons running?

I'm going to turn this question round to answer it: Thread of IT people, does anyone actually give a poo poo to use any of the listed items to actually try to intercept anyone's banking?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rooted Vegetable posted:

I'm going to turn this question round to answer it: Thread of IT people, does anyone actually give a poo poo to use any of the listed items to actually try to intercept anyone's banking?

That would be an ethics violation to be sure. However, most corporate login splash screens display a warning that things done on the computer will be audited, and monitoring of network traffic will occur. Usually this includes deep packet inspection, which could certainly scoop someone's banking information. Still a very very bad idea and nobody here who wants to keep a job would ever admit to intentionally seeking such information.

We will absolutely monitor everything you do, though and if our systems do get hacked yeah your banking information might go out in the data a hacker would attempt to obtain, so maybe don't log into your bank on the work pc. Depending on the company, they may block webmail or banking sites to prevent the temptation of workers to do personal business on company machines, but that was more common in the past, less common now.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You get a much better return just sending badly worded emails to accounts asking for them to buy several hundred dollars worth of gift cards and revert with pictures of the redemption numbers.