Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

No, I paid $91 dollary doos for it. I uninstalled it and now it wont let me redownload it without rebuying it. Amazing.

Someone else had this problem earlier in the thread. I think the issue is you have purchased the deluxe upgrade but not the base game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I uh, have some bad news for you. You bought the Deluxe upgrade to the Game Pass version, not the game itself. It's only active as long as your Game Pass subscription is valid, which means you can either re-up for Game Pass or rebuy the non-Game Pass version of the game.

It's super lovely that Microsoft doesn't make that clear to people playing via Game Pass, I almost got suckered into the same thing because it looks like buying the Premium Deluxe package through Game Pass is cheaper than through Steam/Microsoft, but it's a mirage.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Kiwillian posted:

Someone else had this problem earlier in the thread. I think the issue is you have purchased the deluxe upgrade but not the base game?

Wait.... Does Microsoft let you buy the "upgrade" when you have the Game Pass version? I started on Game Pass and then just wanted to get the game outright and cancel Game Pass. I see the receipt email says "340 FlightSim Credits" instead of an edition of the game. I knew I should have just bought the game on Steam and redownloaded it. I somehow thought it would be easier to just keep the game on Windows Store. What a loving joke. Should be fun to call Microsoft tomorrow. If they make it even remotely difficult to resolve this I'm just going to call AmEx and do a charge back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Wait.... Does Microsoft let you buy the "upgrade" when you have the Game Pass version? I started on Game Pass and then just wanted to get the game outright and cancel Game Pass. I see the receipt email says "340 FlightSim Credits" instead of an edition of the game. I knew I should have just bought the game on Steam and redownloaded it. I somehow thought it would be easier to just keep the game on Windows Store. What a loving joke. Should be fun to call Microsoft tomorrow. If they make it even remotely difficult to resolve this I'm just going to call AmEx and do a charge back.

Warning that doing a charge back could end up with your account being deactivated/banned.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Does that kill your previous purchases? Actually I'm willing to lose Forza Horizon 4 if it means I'm permanently prevented from ever giving Microsoft money on their joke of a store.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Does that kill your previous purchases? Actually I'm willing to lose Forza Horizon 4 if it means I'm permanently prevented from ever giving Microsoft money on their joke of a store.

It may disable your entire microsoft account, it depends on MS's policy. I know Valve for instance will just permanently lock you out of your account if you do a chargeback on a Steam purchase.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kiwillian posted:

Is Mount Erebus there?

Just fly toward it until you find out

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

No, I paid $91 dollary doos for it. I uninstalled it and now it wont let me redownload it without rebuying it. Amazing.

Went through this a couple days ago.

Either get Game Pass again or buy it again through the MS store were the only options given to me by Microsoft. They can't transfer the purchase cause apparently when you buy it through the game you purchase 400 flight sim points or whatever and that goes toward whatever version you bought. It's dumb af.

I ended up getting Game Pass for PC. It's $10 a month. At least you get other games with it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CPColin posted:

Just fly toward it until you find out

I was just reading about that flight today. I've never even thought about the effect a uniformly white sky, ocean, and mountain could have on your ability to navigate before. And apparently neither did the crew of Air New Zealand Flight 901. I wonder if it's possible to recreate those conditions in the flight simulator.

edit: it now occurs to me that you may not have been making a glib reference to this crash, but that's how I chose to interpret your post. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 2, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

eh they're all wrong anyway. the romanian countryside absolutely does not have streetlights like that. also right when you start the challenge there's a line of lamps like 200 feet in the air -- at first I thought "cool, floating lanterns!!" but no lol.

Again, hoping modders can fix this stuff. Overall the world still looks fantastic but i would like a few simple adjustments to e.g. the balance of trees that are generated (there aren't anywhere near enough evergreens), the overall yellow/blue balance of the shading (too yellow), and the density of the streetlights

I was actually going to ask this - not for the halloween challenge, but in general. The highways are all completely lit up like city streets with streetlamps. Any way to tone that down? I assume not? I mean, it's great for VFR as you can see exactly where you are at midnight, but I'd prefer to see a bit of moving traffic and not static lights if possible.

Also, did a flight through the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta last night - area of a big landslide 100+ years ago. Looks pretty drat good.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 2, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

slidebite posted:

I was actually going to ask this - not for the halloween challenge, but in general. The highways are all completely lit up like city streets with streetlamps. Any way to tone that down? I assume not? I mean, it's great for VFR as you can see exactly where you are at midnight, but I'd prefer to see a bit of moving traffic and not static lights if possible.

Also, did a flight through the Crowsnest Pass in Alberta last night - area of a big landslide 100+ years ago. Looks pretty drat good.

I haven't played since they've changed the night lighting. Did they change the way highways are lit? Used to be that they'd generally glow a reddish color, which I think was to simulate the look of tail lights without actually having to render loads of individual cars with functional lights.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If I could somehow happen across a giant pile of aeronautical charts for other countries then I might try simming outside the US more often because US scenery for the most part is really dull.

No I am not paying a monthly subscription to loving Navigraph for the privilege of accessing a bunch of PDFs which by all rights ought to be published by various national civil aviation authorities to begin with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't do a ton of night flying but I did some last night around my home area.

All the highways in my area, from 4-6 lane majors and 2 lane secondaries look like they have streetlights along their entirety. Even in the middle of nowhere.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

edit: it now occurs to me that you may not have been making a glib reference to this crash, but that's how I chose to interpret your post. :v:

Oh, I definitely was :tipshat:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

slidebite posted:

I don't do a ton of night flying but I did some last night around my home area.

All the highways in my area, from 4-6 lane majors and 2 lane secondaries look like they have streetlights along their entirety. Even in the middle of nowhere.

Belgium has lit highways, and I think parts of France too? Maybe Asobo are judt flexing about their decent roads by acting as though everyone had them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Lord Stimperor posted:

Belgium has lit highways, and I think parts of France too? Maybe Asobo are judt flexing about their decent roads by acting as though everyone had them.

A lot of the lights in Belgium aren't turned on anymore, only when there's bad weather.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

If I could somehow happen across a giant pile of aeronautical charts for other countries then I might try simming outside the US more often because US scenery for the most part is really dull.

No I am not paying a monthly subscription to loving Navigraph for the privilege of accessing a bunch of PDFs which by all rights ought to be published by various national civil aviation authorities to begin with.

Someone in the last thread I think posted a way to get free charts for most countries by googling “AIP” and the country name. E.g. here’s the UK one: https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2020-10-08-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

It takes a bit of digging around to find the actual charts - on the above one if you go to where it says Aerodromes, select your airport and then there’s a menu link for the actual charts, but it seems like once you’ve worked out how to navigate it, other countries follow the same format so it becomes easy enough to find your way around those.

That said, I signed up for navigraph because I’m lazy and I like having the routing functionality as well so YMMV depending on what countries you try to find charts for.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lord Stimperor posted:

The only place where we have that, where I live at least, are major city thoroughfares (like ring roads) or highway intersections/going through cities.

Other than that, it's pretty dark in my experience. I wish they were an option to turn off.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

uXs posted:

A lot of the lights in Belgium aren't turned on anymore, only when there's bad weather.

Truly, dark times

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

uXs posted:

Didn't get the memo over here yet. The highway's always lit when it's getting dark, for the whole night, even at dry weather.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

londonmoose posted:

Someone in the last thread I think posted a way to get free charts for most countries by googling “AIP” and the country name. E.g. here’s the UK one: https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2020-10-08-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

It takes a bit of digging around to find the actual charts - on the above one if you go to where it says Aerodromes, select your airport and then there’s a menu link for the actual charts, but it seems like once you’ve worked out how to navigate it, other countries follow the same format so it becomes easy enough to find your way around those.

That said, I signed up for navigraph because I’m lazy and I like having the routing functionality as well so YMMV depending on what countries you try to find charts for.

Remember that you can display NAVAIDS on the world map, just it's off by default. Push the F key I believe and be sure to turn it on. Lots of other fun stuff in that menu too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's completely baffling to me that the world map is just that huge gray blob instead of, like, I don't know, Bing maps aerial imagery maybe????

For a game that purports to be all about VFR, you'd think they would make it really easy to scroll around looking down on the world until you spot a cool lake or village or airport and then just drop into the flight simulator right above it. Or at least they'd put in a street map so you can find your house instead of having to google the airport code and work your way down the roads (which is fun too, but like...come on).

If I had my way the world map would have at least five layers: topographic shaded, aerial photos, street maps, VFR sectionals, and IFR charts. Also airports would be pink and blue icons like on FAA sectionals, not these invisible dots.

i'm thiiis close to downloading the SDK and starting to hack it apart myself. how hard can it be to put new textures on a sphere

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I feel like it is supposed to be Bing maps but it just never loads in the higher resolution.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

(wishes this was a bethesda game so a modder could take care of this)

(Realizes what for a terrible idea that would be)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like it is supposed to be Bing maps but it just never loads in the higher resolution.

The Manual Cache screen does this and for some reason it loads really choppy.

While we're on the world map menu topic, it is getting real frustrating that the lat/long oceanic coordinates half the time simply don't want to be deleted if you want to pick a different route. I'd rather use the world map planner than the FMS in game at this point because it's quicker (yeah yeah not realism enough i suppose) but when an oceanic route from simbrief just can't be put in because the game refuses to let you delete a waypoint 500NM off the path it's a bit frustrating.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sagebrush posted:

It's completely baffling to me that the world map is just that huge gray blob instead of, like, I don't know, Bing maps aerial imagery maybe????

For a game that purports to be all about VFR, you'd think they would make it really easy to scroll around looking down on the world until you spot a cool lake or village or airport and then just drop into the flight simulator right above it. Or at least they'd put in a street map so you can find your house instead of having to google the airport code and work your way down the roads (which is fun too, but like...come on).

If I had my way the world map would have at least five layers: topographic shaded, aerial photos, street maps, VFR sectionals, and IFR charts. Also airports would be pink and blue icons like on FAA sectionals, not these invisible dots.

i'm thiiis close to downloading the SDK and starting to hack it apart myself. how hard can it be to put new textures on a sphere

I was curious about this as well, because like... wtf you get a pretty detailed view of the planet from a distance but the closer you get it just fades away for some reason. I understand that they couldn't just put all of Bing Maps in there since it'd be huge as gently caress but like... come on.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i mean bing maps itself seems to handle streaming aerial photography in real time pretty fuckin well

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

i mean bing maps itself seems to handle streaming aerial photography in real time pretty fuckin well

its like the one thing it does better than google

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I experienced a huge visual upgrade when i went to 32GB of RAM

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I was just reading about that flight today. I've never even thought about the effect a uniformly white sky, ocean, and mountain could have on your ability to navigate before. And apparently neither did the crew of Air New Zealand Flight 901. I wonder if it's possible to recreate those conditions in the flight simulator.

CPColin posted:

Oh, I definitely was :tipshat:

So i went to look and it's no surprise they crashed:

It's a little bit higher than that :downs: It's the right height in-game, dunno why my GPS marker says that. I ended up crashing into it, whoops. I was coming from McMurdo though and in the wrong type of plane (no DC10) so not a recreation.

Still New Zealand's worst air disaster to date.

Edit: Also, the government tried to put up a memorial sculpture late last year for the 40th anniversary but loads of people went batshit about it so it didn't happen. Govt Site about it.

I kinda like it, but not in the Parnell Rose Gardens, jeez.

Kiwillian fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 3, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there an official guide or something to read for the G1000 and airliner flight computers?

I know there are several videos on youtube (of massive quality spread) but i was hoping for something to read.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Is there an official guide or something to read for the G1000 and airliner flight computers?

I know there are several videos on youtube (of massive quality spread) but i was hoping for something to read.

The X-Plane handbook is really helpful, but remember MSFS hasn't brought all this functionality to their G1000. In the other thread some people found this useful and I hope you do too friend.
http://x-plane.com/manuals/G1000_Manual.pdf

I made the mistake of renting a Cessna Citation Longitude in OnAir. The autopilot is extremely busted but I've figured out a workaround for now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That goddamn TTS.

My callsign is McMozzarella. It used to say it correctly, but now only the ATC does while my virtual pilot doesn't and spells out the letters instead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's baffling that they have the actual name of every airport in the game but the TTS still says KILO HOTEL ALPHA FOXTROT TRAFFIC without fail. Nobody says that in real life! Ugh!

Lots of little things about this game are baffling (welcome to flight sims, all you newbies) and I can't wait for the modding community to really pick up because most of them seem trivial to fix. It's not like I'm one of the Il-2 spergs demanding accurate herding behavior when you fly low over cows and scare them away. Just listen to some fuckin untowered operations on youtube for a while and edit the radio call strings to match

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't worry, we will soon have various nerds saying the name of literally every airport in the world.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Sagebrush posted:

It's baffling that they have the actual name of every airport in the game but the TTS still says KILO HOTEL ALPHA FOXTROT TRAFFIC without fail. Nobody says that in real life! Ugh!

Lots of little things about this game are baffling (welcome to flight sims, all you newbies) and I can't wait for the modding community to really pick up because most of them seem trivial to fix. It's not like I'm one of the Il-2 spergs demanding accurate herding behavior when you fly low over cows and scare them away. Just listen to some fuckin untowered operations on youtube for a while and edit the radio call strings to match

This is still the funniest thing to me. Some weirdos wanted accurate herding behavior of cows.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

soggybagel posted:

This is still the funniest thing to me. Some weirdos wanted accurate herding behavior of cows.

Please give link I must witness and despair

Tried googling for it but couldn't find it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It was on the banana forums way back when so I doubt you can find it any more.

To clarify, the banana forums were the 1C forums back when they were developing Il-2: Cliffs of Dover. They had a bright yellow background. That game was in development hell for like a decade, and I would ascribe most of the delay to their attempts to cater to their utterly insane spergy fanbase. Some of the things I recall them wanting were:

- The aforementioned scattering cows in the fields, because some poster had just read an RAF pilot's memoir where he mentioned buzzing cattle for fun. The poster also googled a scientific paper on herding dynamics and posted it in the thread for reference
- Accurately changing seasons on a day-by-day basis, not just four texture sets according to the time of year
- Accurately growing plantlife, e.g. fields of wheat getting taller day by day as you got closer to the harvest. The grass around airfields should also grow, and once in a while a guy with a lawnmower should come by and cut it down
- All battle damage to your airplane should be tracked and incorporated into the model, so if you got shot in the tail, the plane should grow a metal patch where the bullet hit and it would remain there for the rest of the campaign. Paint would also realistically chip and weather
- If you got shot down over hostile territory, there should be a minigame where you have to escape and evade enemy patrols and get back to the French coast. Then you would be taken back to England and the campaign would advance a few weeks or months to simulate your recuperation in hospital. If you get caught by the Germans, your campaign is over, of course
- A ton of people suspiciously focused on making sure all the swastikas and nazi insignia are correctly modeled
- Dozens more things I can't remember

This kind of poo poo is why I'm not upset when the sim developer ignores most of the community requests. They should make an effort to fix things that are obviously broken, but if they start to go down the rabbit hole of implementing what people ask for, it's suicide. I'd rather try to fix the strings and the trees myself and let them focus on making a good engine that runs smoothly and reliably, which is the one thing that all these spergs never seem to care about

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Did they even want to fly the planes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skooma512 posted:

Did they even want to fly the planes?

The consensus was "no".