Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
No post about Stanton keeping his remaining $200+ mil? :yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Considering the way teams are penny pinching so far it was a no brainer even if he weren't always injured

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There's an expanding brain meme somewhere in that logic

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bregor posted:

No post about Stanton keeping his remaining $200+ mil? :yeshaha:

I don't see anything about it on MLBTR but it looks like ESPN among others covered it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's basically been common knowledge the Red Sox would at the very least investigate bringing Cora back once his suspension was up as soon as they let him go

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The fact that the Astros didn't even give Brantley a QO in an offseason where they're losing him and Springer in a thin OF market with no internal options for replacing them is just the cheapest poo poo

Oh god Ryan Braun is going to be an Astro isn't he

Intruder fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 2, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Intruder posted:

The fact that the Astros didn't even give Brantley a QO in an offseason where they're losing him and Springer in a thin OF market with no internal options for replacing them is just the cheapest poo poo

Cheaters get together I guess

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Angles are supposedly interviewing literally everyone for their GM spot, including Ruben Amaro Jr

Sickos

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

Do they really think he would take the QO? They must. I'm sure the players are already getting the indication that the owners are going to cry poverty as much as possible during this offseason.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, not giving Brantley the QO seems bleak. Both for the Astros and the general market.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I knew Click was gonna be cheap and not do poo poo, but it still makes me angry. I hate the fuckers who run this org.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Giants extend QO to Gausman.

I dunno about this Farhan

Gausman was a lot better than I expected tbf

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do they really think he would take the QO? They must. I'm sure the players are already getting the indication that the owners are going to cry poverty as much as possible during this offseason.

If he does you get another year of him and his steady production, if he doesn't you get a pick

Not offering it is 100% being cheap

Brantley is absolutely worth a year at $19 million, especially since at this point they have no one to play LF and only Myles Straw to play CF (ughhhh)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Intruder posted:

Brantley is absolutely worth a year at $19 million

Not in the year 2021 :v:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There will probably never be a bonzanza of talent available as cheap as it will be this offseason and all a team needs to do is spend a normal amount on payroll or they can gut their teams and save $5 million on luxury tax.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It'll probably be like it was two years ago when the huge Machado and Harper contracts "disproved" collusion to depress the FA market

Springer and Ozuna get huge deals, everyone else gets hosed

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I haven't been paying close attention to this offseason, but are the Cardinals really letting Wong walk so they can re-sign the corpse of Yadier Molina?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think Bauer is more likely to get a big deal than Ozuna honestly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

I think Bauer is more likely to get a big deal than Ozuna honestly.

Maybe. Well the top of the market players will get their money and everyone else gets screwed, that's probably a better way to say it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I could see that, and even then I think the top guys aren't going to get as much as they otherwise might in a non-hellworld year.

I still can't believe nobody claimed Hand for 1/10. That is just unreal. In a normal year Hand at just $10M coming off the kind of season he just had would have been a top prospect trade to a competitor.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Between COVID and the upcoming CBA expiration, it doesn't make much business sense to throw 9 figures at anyone this offseason. There's no guarantee the world is re-opened next spring, and I think its just as likely to be no season as there is a full one. That does create an opportunity for an enterprising and or prudent risk taker to get some good assets on the cheap for a title run this year or next though.

What's more interesting to me is how this whole thing might affect CBA negotiations this time next year. I've always been an advocate of basing player pay off of a percent revenue, which admittedly still gives owners some wiggle room to screw about, but is much more consistent in preventing either deliberate or coincidental collusion. COVID sort of torpedoes that model though. I have no idea how one attacks that from a labor perspective.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Maybe. Well the top of the market players will get their money and everyone else gets screwed, that's probably a better way to say it
Do we really expect a 29 year old with a career 117 OPS+ and bad defense to land a big deal this winter?

Maybe he found something this year and is the next David Ortiz but I don't see anyone breaking the bank to find out in this climate.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

oh hey you fixed it, what ended up being the problem

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

turns out there is a space inserted after the top image no matter what, so you either have to put a transparent image up top or have a mod upload the full length image for you

looks like Athanatos hooked me up

it is glorious and I feel the urge to :justpost: so I may gaze upon it more

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 2, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/KyleAGlaser/status/1323350751578501125

What a fall for Folty. All Star to minor league free agent in two seasons.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/KyleAGlaser/status/1323350751578501125

What a fall for Folty. All Star to minor league free agent in two seasons.

As long as he was just a headcase you could keep trying to fix him, but the velocity loss is a huge problem.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/johndreker/status/1323381100459233283?s=21

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Tyler Kolek... Wasn't he the dude who threw 102 in high school? Marlins first round pick?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Tyler Kolek... Wasn't he the dude who threw 102 in high school? Marlins first round pick?
Yes he was taken ahead of guys like-

-Carlos Rodon
-Trea Turner
-Aaron Nola
-Matt Chapman
-Kyle Schwarber
-Michael Conforto

In fairness that 2014 1st round is not that great overall. There weren't a lot of 'can't miss' guys.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 2, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers lost two Cy Young finalists and still won the World Series

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1323400815353057280

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1323408689357901824?s=20

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Congratulations to the expanded playoffs for getting Charlie Montoyo a manager of the year nomination.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

short season manager of the year is the best award

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1323415207771820032

-guy who's team had the biggest 'rona outbreak and got one of the charity postseason spots
-guy who's team continues to underperform their previous peak
-guy who publicly chastised his team's biggest star for hitting a grand slam

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:lol:

bawfuls posted:

short season manager of the year is the best award

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1323415207771820032

-guy who's team had the biggest 'rona outbreak and got one of the charity postseason spots
-guy who's team continues to underperform their previous peak
-guy who publicly chastised his team's biggest star for hitting a grand slam

:lol::lol:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers lost two Cy Young finalists and still won the World Series

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1323400815353057280

drat and they did it without adding the presumptive mvp

hold on lemme double check that roster

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the Dodgers got Freddie Freeman?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

rick renteria seems like a really good dude and i hope he stops getting owned all the time for trying to manage baseball teams

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wasn't there a MOTY fired just a couple of years ago

e: might be thinking of another sport

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Intruder posted:

Matt Williams was fired a year after winning MOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Intruder posted:

In 2006 Joe Girardi won NL MoY and got fired