Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

prom candy posted:

My plan now is to buy a second one and some monitor arms. Does anyone have any experience with this monitor arm? Or a recommendation for a dual monitor arm? https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Monitor-Pneumatic-Sit-Stand-STAND-V002K/dp/B07DFT56Z7/?th=1

No experience with that particular one, but the Amazon Basics monitor arms are rebrands from some very good manufacturers and are highly regarded here. They're very hard to beat, especially for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The AmazonBasics arms (which are rebranded Ergotrons) are very good, but they're a lot more expensive than those no-name ones

https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN71I

I dunno if there's any cheaper options that are similar quality

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wow yeah, $80 vs $280. That makes me think $80 might be suspiciously cheap.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
Does anyone have any experience with Gigabyte monitors? Right now new egg has the AD27QD for about 100 dollars less than the LG G83A-B that I've been thinking about but I have zero experience with their screens. I looked up the comparison on rtings and it looks like the gigabyte has much worse motion blurring. I just want to know if this should be a deal breaker as $290 seems like a nice price for 1440 and 144Hz.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Severedseven posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Gigabyte monitors? Right now new egg has the AD27QD for about 100 dollars less than the LG G83A-B that I've been thinking about but I have zero experience with their screens. I looked up the comparison on rtings and it looks like the gigabyte has much worse motion blurring. I just want to know if this should be a deal breaker as $290 seems like a nice price for 1440 and 144Hz.

I looked at the rtings reviews and the biggest difference that I saw was in backlight bleed, with the Gigabyte doing worse than the LG. That does tend to vary unit to unit, so is always a bit of a gamble, and bothers different people to a different extent, so I think I'd weight that in.

The motion blur thing I have a harder time gauging, and from what I read the two models seem pretty close. Others can probably give you a better answer on that.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
holy poo poo amazon.ca has a lot of used 83a-bs

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a question that is probably immensely stupid.

I currently have two like 25" 1080p monitors on my desk immediately infront of me.

I am running out of space to run everything I need to at the same time and am considering getting a third monitor to mount on top of the other two; it would only (in theory) be used for things like keeping a spreadsheet of data open for reference, maybe a stream of TV, spotify, e-mail stuff like that.

My question is, would I possibly be better off just getting one big like 4k TV instead of this third one? I feel limited by the 1080p space with the two monitors and think a third would be good just to throw the random programs I sometimes use on.

Thanks

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got a pc hooked up to a 55" 4k tv and using it for things other than gaming is such a pita I dug my old pc out of storage just to have something to pay bills with. In retrospect I could have just used my steam link but that literally occured to me while writing this :eng99: So, at least something smaller than that.

Using three monitors in windows isn't great, you can't just put one 'above' the others, if you center it in the layout screen you won't be able to go straight up when on the far side of either monitor, so it winds up being less annoying to have it above one monitor alone. Though, if I missed a setting and there's a way around this, someone please let me know.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Displayfusion can help with that.

Also I'd replace the current screens with a 43"4k :sun:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't even think of the orientation thing drat.

Maybe the 43" 4k is the way too go. Any reccomendations on one?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I have the Dell version, but they are not exactly cheap. Well worth it, though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'd be a business expense so im not too worried about the cost as long as its under 1k. I was actually looking at that monitor though, so glad to hear its decent.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Verviticus posted:

holy poo poo amazon.ca has a lot of used 83a-bs

mine's gonna be one, i went back to the 1080p ultrawide tank. turns out my eyes are too lovely for 1440p @ 27" and scaling felt like it just left me with less real estate than what i have on this guy. ultimately it didn't really feel like a straight upgrade over what i have so it's going back.

does anyone know of a good monitor arm for huge monitors? i've had two (the ergotech and one other one whose name i can't remember) and both failed to support my monitor. it's 35" and close to 30lbs. the amazon basics one says it only supports up to 32" and 25lbs.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Empress Brosephine posted:

It'd be a business expense so im not too worried about the cost as long as its under 1k. I was actually looking at that monitor though, so glad to hear its decent.

You might want to consider going for two 27" 1440p monitors as an alternative. A bigger 4k might be good, too, but I'm lass familiar with them and I think scaling might be more of an issue depending on what programs you run. My understanding is that Windows 10 handles scaling pretty well, but not every individual application does. Others with 4k experience can give you a better idea about that.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Severedseven posted:

I own a Gigabyte FI27Q and have no motion blurring issues whatsoever. A bit of backlight bleed is there, but it's not overly noticeable.

However, the FI27Q is better binned than the AD27QD so who knows...

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Hemish's LG 27GL83A-B saga update...

Since I was able to order a second one a few days after the first one arrived DOA, I got the second one during once so I quickly set it up just to see if it worked. Plugging in the power and seeing stuff like HDMI1, No Signal, etc... was better than the first one!

Looks like it works. I'll work with it all afternoon and test some gaming tonight.

Looks like I'll need 125% scaling in Windows with my lovely eyes.

LG never got back to me with the warranty they couldn't honor with no repair centers showing for my address so I returned the first one to Amazon for a refund.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
At work, I've got a pair of Dell U2718Qs that work great for everything I need. The color looks good to me (without a calibration tool, it's all manual adjustment) I like the USB hub thing on the sides, they don't do anything wacky when I connect my work laptop to the dock or separate desktop PCs directly.

I expect to be working from home again in the near future, so I'm looking to update my monitors.

Since these will not be on the company card, I'm a little bit cost conscious given the fact that I don't particularly need a fast refresh rate. Is there a difference between the panels in say the Dell U2720QM and something less expensive from Asus or LG or even other Dell S2721 line? I can afford the U2720, but obviously if there's no difference in the panels themselves, paying an extra $200 just for a USB hub is a bit much.

I also don't care about the base, since I have monitor arms. (the better set from monoprice work fine for me)

Given that I don't do a ton of gaming, does it even matter which 4k 60Hz screen I'm looking at?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Regarding monitor mounts, I really like the Monoprice ones here: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

If you look closely, you can see the mount itself comes off the arms, so you can screw the plate into the back of the panel, then lift the monitor+plate thing up and just slide it into the holder thing on the arms themselves. This is really nice so you don't have to try to hold the monitor up while trying to line up a screw hole on the plate and getting a screw started and not cross-threaded and then getting surprised when the whole thing just kinda sags down because you have no way to adjust the spring/piston tension....

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Is this the right thread to ask a question like this?

If enable Gsync, force AA in nvidia control panel, etc... all the stuff covered here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&userid=87324&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post507759386

What happens if I want to play a game via Steam Remote in my living room at 1080p? If I set the in game settings to remove Vsync, frame limiter, etc... and set 1080p. Will I encounter issues? The game will want to go past 60fps obviously but will it behave like a normal 60hz computer monitor where anything above 60fps was just wasted and not care?

I must say this is my first high refresh rate monitor and I feel like such a newbie. I forgot to think about some games I like to play in the living room like Monster Hunter World with a controller.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm pretty sure the steam stuff recognizes the display it's actually attached to. Either way there's no getting past a display's refresh rate, just because one monitor is high refresh isn't going to change performance on any other ones.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Hemish posted:

What happens if I want to play a game via Steam Remote in my living room at 1080p? If I set the in game settings to remove Vsync, frame limiter, etc... and set 1080p. Will I encounter issues? The game will want to go past 60fps obviously but will it behave like a normal 60hz computer monitor where anything above 60fps was just wasted and not care?

You can force settings all you want, but if a display doesn't support them, it just...won't do them. So "forcing" GSync on in the control panel for a TV that doesn't support VRR does nothing. With the settings you noted it'll act exactly as you expect: it'll render as fast as it can but only display 60 of those frames a second, with everything else being wasted, just like a normal 60Hz monitor. It'll work just fine, but your GPU is doing more work than it needs to.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

DrDork posted:

You can force settings all you want, but if a display doesn't support them, it just...won't do them. So "forcing" GSync on in the control panel for a TV that doesn't support VRR does nothing. With the settings you noted it'll act exactly as you expect: it'll render as fast as it can but only display 60 of those frames a second, with everything else being wasted, just like a normal 60Hz monitor. It'll work just fine, but your GPU is doing more work than it needs to.

Ok thanks. As long as there is no downside. I knew I can't transfer the good stuff to the living room, I was just wondering if it would cause issues with my computer running the game on that monitor with all these features now turned on in nvidia control panel but having to stream it to the TV in my living room.

It only scratched the surface with some tests at the computer and now my RTX 3080 project might be more urgent. 1440p with the same graphic settings really won't reach close to 144fps with my 1070!

Edit : At first glance, forgetting the fps, colors seem to pop a lot more than my old Dell U2412M.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Any thoughts on the Dell U3415W?

Right now I have the Acer Predator XB271HU and a cheapo LG 27" 1080p for my second monitor. Half the time I am just browsing on the 1080p and the Acer is used for playing games. I don't even think my eyes can tell the difference (I wear glasses and 3D doesn't even work on me either - something is wrong lol). I wiggle the mouse on each and don't see this crazy smoothness.

Anyways, I wanted to switch to a nice ultrawide single monitor and the Dell above I can get through work for $999 CAD.

E: I see on Dells site there is a U3419W which I can see about ordering too. Also the P3421W.

I am not sure what the difference is aside from USB-C on the P3421W

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 3, 2020

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

I bought ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ a couple of months back and I have really enjoyed it for my WFH and gaming set up. When I bought the monitor it seemed like a no brainer because of the price and how it compared to other monitors win the 38" to 43" range.

Are there any other good options in this range? I've had my eye on LG 38GL950G-B, but I almost think I should look at the G9. I was able to pick up a 3090 and I feel like I should get something beefer to pair with it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I saw the G9 in person when I was picking up my 38GL and I think it looks janky as gently caress.

I have no regrets about getting the 38GL other than it cost too much. So far it's been a straight upgrade from my old X34 with dead pixels in it. If there was somewhere local that offered 48" OLEDs I probably would have seriously considered the 48" OLED mounted on an arm off the back of my desk or the wall with a smaller monitor for back up for reading forums, letters, etc.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Between the CX 48", the G9, and the 38GL, my main consideration would be display tech and then size of the 48.

The OLED would be the knockout win if you are okay with the chance of burn-in, although a non-curved screen of that size feels weird if you're not sitting at a good distance.

I don't like VA panels and am sensitive to color shift so the G9 is a no-go.

The 38GL is the "smallest", and has the worst stats technically, but IPS still has a place in bright environments and as just proven tech.

I don't think anything else is in the same size/utility range

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a single 23" monitor and I'm looking to get another, or maybe go up to perhaps 27" at largest as a primary monitor. Budget of about $150. Any standouts? I saw the OP wasn't updated but like, I've had this monitor since 2012 so I'm waaaaay out of date so I figured I'd just ask anyway.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

SopWATh posted:

Given that I don't do a ton of gaming, does it even matter which 4k 60Hz screen I'm looking at?

Aside from obvious stuff like how the build quality feels, OSD, inputs, warranty, default calibration - no, not really. Dell makes some really nice, really expensive monitors, but if budget is a concern they don't tend to be outstanding options.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have a single 23" monitor and I'm looking to get another, or maybe go up to perhaps 27" at largest as a primary monitor. Budget of about $150. Any standouts? I saw the OP wasn't updated but like, I've had this monitor since 2012 so I'm waaaaay out of date so I figured I'd just ask anyway.

27" 1440p monitors start around $200, so realistically unless you want to increase size without increasing resolution for some reason, you're looking at another 23-24" 1080p monitor, preferably IPS. You can find a ton of them on Amazon for just over $100 by searching 1080p IPS.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
There's a $180 monoprice VA 27" 1440p 144hz on sale if that's close enough

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Vintersorg posted:

Any thoughts on the Dell U3415W?

Right now I have the Acer Predator XB271HU and a cheapo LG 27" 1080p for my second monitor. Half the time I am just browsing on the 1080p and the Acer is used for playing games. I don't even think my eyes can tell the difference (I wear glasses and 3D doesn't even work on me either - something is wrong lol). I wiggle the mouse on each and don't see this crazy smoothness.

Anyways, I wanted to switch to a nice ultrawide single monitor and the Dell above I can get through work for $999 CAD.

E: I see on Dells site there is a U3419W which I can see about ordering too. Also the P3421W.

I am not sure what the difference is aside from USB-C on the P3421W

I got the U3415W and have really liked it, it's been rock solid. With that said, it's a 5-year-old monitor so I'm surprised the price hasn't changed more in that time (I got it for ~$800USD).

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

Looking for some advice. The tl;dr version is: do I go 1440p 144Hz, or 4k 60Hz?

I currently have/used to have an LG 27UDP68 (27" 4k 60Hz IPS). However, a few weeks before the warranty expired it started showing strong discoloration in the corners. I sent it back for a repair under warranty, but as the panel is no longer made and cannot be repaired, the store has offered me the screen's value in store credit (€450) to pick up a new one.

I was quite happy with the screen, doing mostly some of everything (coding, photo editing, gaming). In terms of the latter, I'm on an AMD RX480 8GB and generally play some older or not super demanding stuff, but sometimes also newer things like RDR2. More RPG/strategy-stype stuff, no twitchy shooters. I'm usually okay as long as I get 40+ fps at higher settings; I have no immediate plans to upgrade the graphics card, at least not until the cheaper AMD 6xxx / nVidia 30xx stuff comes out.

Having a 4k screen is very nice to watch 4k content, to play older games in very high resolution, and to have the flexibility to really put a lot on screen. Normally, however, I have Windows set to 150% scaling, as 4k on 27" is rather tiny. I guess that means I'm effectively using the screen as a 1440p one most of the time.

As such, I am looking at a couple of options, but I am a bit undecided on whether 1440p at higher refresh rates would be nicer than 4k at lower ones. Happy to hear some considerations or whether one of the options below is particularly good/terrible, or I'm missing out the ultimate screen.

Acer Nitro XV272UPbmiiprzomgwtfbbq (27" 1440p 144Hz IPS, €399)
+ High refresh rate, DCI-P3 colour space, FreeSync + GSync compatible, money left to buy not-included DP cable
- Not currently in stock, ugly foot

LG 27GL850 UltraGear (27" 1440p 144Hz IPS, €469)
+ High refresh rate, DCI-P3 colour space, FreeSync + GSync compatible, looks decent
- A bit of extra money
(I see a lot of people talking about the LG 27GL83-B? It's €439, but out of stock right now.)

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ (27" 1440p 165Hz IPS, €499)
+ High refresh rate, FreeSync + GSync compatible, apparently reviews very well
- A tad more expensive, ugly-ish foot, 'only' sRGB colour space

LG 27UL650 (27" 4k 60Hz IPS, €339)
+ 4k Resolution, FreeSync compatible, looks very good, leaves a bunch of store credit
- 'Only' 60Hz refresh rate, 'only' sRGB colour space, not GSync compatible (?)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I'm not convinced there's any benefit to 4k at 27" apart from manufacturers having a bigger number to sell.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
High refresh rate always

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like Hardware Unboxed really liked the 4k/144 27GN950, too. Pretty much all the complaints are about its HDR mode, which still isn't really usable and best ignored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEyF9QWH7pw

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kinda tangential to this thread but it came up a few pages ago, the PS5 apparently will not support 1440p output. 1080p or 4K only :/

https://it.ign.com/ps5/175513/news/ps5-brutte-notizie-per-i-pc-gamer-la-nuova-console-non-supportera-la-risoluzione-a-1440p

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

repiv posted:

Kinda tangential to this thread but it came up a few pages ago, the PS5 apparently will not support 1440p output. 1080p or 4K only :/

https://it.ign.com/ps5/175513/news/ps5-brutte-notizie-per-i-pc-gamer-la-nuova-console-non-supportera-la-risoluzione-a-1440p

Only really impacts people looking to hook it up to a 1440p PC monitor, but still, seems an odd choice, especially since the XBox appears to be supporting it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Some 4K TVs support 120hz at 1440p but only 60hz at 4K due to HDMI 2.0 limitations, so the lack of a 1440p mode also means those people will have to drop all the way to 1080p to play at 120hz even though their TV can do better

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Doubt you're going to see many games support 1440p on Xbox anyway. It didn't happen with Series X and I don't see upcoming games being different.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Any idea why my LG 27GL83A-B is going black for a few seconds sometimes when I open up programs?

So far I got it a few times, not always, when I opened the Xbox app or Remote Desktop (mstsc). I didn't have time to game yet but the few times it did it, it was always when starting a program. Not while using what was already opened.

I hope I didn't get a second defective unit. My video card has been fine for years and I'm using the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor.

I installed the latest nvidia drivers but I didn't do one of those full cleaning job.

I'm asking here first since we have so many LG 27GL83A-B users.

Edit : When it does it, my other 2 monitors stay fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Doubt you're going to see many games support 1440p on Xbox anyway. It didn't happen with Series X and I don't see upcoming games being different.

Yeah but even if the game doesn't output 1440p natively, with system-level 1440p support they can at least render at "4K" and supersample down to 1440p