Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

as soon as I get my hands on the console yes

lol gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Someone should make a bad dad game. "that looks dangerous son, you go and check it out, I'll wait here"

I'm thinking RTS with just a touch of Lemmings

edit: I guess that's basically Pikmin. So like Pikmin except instead of space vegetables it's your brood of sons

acksplode fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 2, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i don't know that you can trademark the shape of some plastic, but maybe they got in trouble because there'd be no legal way of having the exact shape and dimensions this early?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Only a few hours in, I just got to the Fort

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was listening to a podcast and they were discussing what makes a good game villain and I was trying to think of a really good one.
They were saying that , like in most media, a good villain never thinks they're wrong and how there's a difference between a good villain in a story and just a well-designed boss.
I like games where the villains have really good motivation.

I really like to think of Ellie as the villain in TLOU 2. I really wanted them to get their comeuppance by the end but I totally understood their point of view. Wallace Breen in HL2 was also a good one, you really wanted that little traitor to get what he deserved but you knew why he was doing what he did (he was really selfish).

Anyone else have good examples of villains in games?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

not a dad game unless the babychild is present for like 80% of the narrative
Super Mario World 2 (yoshi is mario's dad)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the yeti in skifree always made a lot of sense to me

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Reapers were trying to annihilate all life before they could make another Mass Effect game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

how there's a difference between a good villain in a story and just a well-designed boss.

sorry but, duh

Glados. Shodan. Mr House from NV.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Just fired up spiderman after a long hiatus and I'm doing none of the moves cuz I've forgotten how to do them all

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

sorry but, duh

Yeah true but then you look at lists of "Top gaming villains" and it's just like random FF or Dark Souls bosses who LOOK cool but aren't really antagonising.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Handsome Jack

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Almost the entire MGS rogues gallery is great, with just a few exceptions (Fatman, B&B unit). They're all at least memorable, and most of them have compelling backstories and motivations. And Big Boss himself is a standout example of a relatable villain.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was listening to a podcast and they were discussing what makes a good game villain and I was trying to think of a really good one.
They were saying that , like in most media, a good villain never thinks they're wrong and how there's a difference between a good villain in a story and just a well-designed boss.

I really like to think of Ellie as the villain in TLOU 2. I really wanted them to get their comeuppance by the end but I totally understood their point of view. Wallace Breen in HL2 was also a good one, you really wanted that little traitor to get what he deserved but you knew why he was doing what he did (he was really selfish).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Genuinely can't wait for the new Black Ops to see how blatant the pro-US propaganda is this time around.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FlamingLiberal posted:

A company that was going to make different colored plates for the PS5 console has been forced to stop making them under pressure from Sony. Part of it was that their website was initially PlateStation5.com, but I guess pieces of the console are trademarked and Sony doesn't want them making these plates at all.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps5-custom-plate-maker-apologize-after-confusion

I do kind of love the argument of “well the patent was only pending, so we thought it was fine!”

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dead Rising 2 is like thr most dad game you can get before it just turns into a high school project.

Also every mainline Yakuza game until 7

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I've talked about it before but 2020 cured me of my almost life long need to invert the Y axis, which I'd done since the N64 but no more! And I mean really, I couldn't play games without it, it felt impossible.

I just played 16 bit and older games exclusively for 3 months and when I went back to modern games my brain didn't know which way was which, so I turned off the inversion and after a couple of weeks I was used to it.

Rinkles is 100% right, you just get used to it, but taking a break makes it easier.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I had inverted X in platformers all the time (because as others have mentioned, it moves the camera--camera to the right means you can see more left) until the Tomb Raider reboot, which didn't let you change it, and now I'm standard on that but I will never not invert Y

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I was gonna say the US government is the villain in a lot of games, Death Stranding..

But I just wanna know Esco’s thoughts on sekiro

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Oh no not another mj stealth mission

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RareAcumen posted:

Dead Rising 2 is like thr most dad game you can get before it just turns into a high school project.

Also every mainline Yakuza game until 7

Dad Rising

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:eyepop:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Imhotep posted:

I was gonna say the US government is the villain in a lot of games, Death Stranding..

But I just wanna know Esco’s thoughts on sekiro

hahahaha

I am enjoying it! The movement and combat are very good. I’ve learned about/cured some dragonrot and am in a memory right now. It’s definitely going to take me a while to get used to deflecting so I’m not entirely sure I’ll be able to finish it before the PS5 comes out, but hell, I got nothin but time right now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahaha

I am enjoying it! The movement and combat are very good. I’ve learned about/cured some dragonrot and am in a memory right now. It’s definitely going to take me a while to get used to deflecting so I’m not entirely sure I’ll be able to finish it before the PS5 comes out, but hell, I got nothin but time right now.

Just remember the dodge button thrusts you forward by default for a reason!

Embrace that mindset. Deflecting IS an offense.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah it’s weird, every souls game after bloodborne for me wasn’t that difficult, maybe dark souls 3 initially, but Sekiro made me think ‘ok I finally get the combat’ like 3 separate times, for some reason two ‘health’ bars really messed with me or something, but yeah if you just attack until you hear and feel a big clang, which is the enemy deflecting, switch to deflecting until they’re done then repeat. It’s weird because you have to be super aggressive as well as being very precisely defensive unlike the soulsborne games where you can either be super aggressive and have lots of vitality and chug estus, or slam blood vials, and inevitably take damage and eat it or turtle up or whatever.

Yeah and that too, the posture bar is just another sort of health bar that fills up, and a lot of the time fills up while their health bar is full, letting you get a death blow in while they’re at full health.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Imhotep posted:

Yeah it’s weird, every souls game after bloodborne for me wasn’t that difficult, maybe dark souls 3 initially, but Sekiro made me think ‘ok I finally get the combat’ like 3 separate times, for some reason two ‘health’ bars really messed with me or something, but yeah if you just attack until you hear and feel a big clang, which is the enemy deflecting, switch to deflecting until they’re done then repeat. It’s weird because you have to be super aggressive as well as being very precisely defensive unlike the soulsborne games where you can either be super aggressive and have lots of vitality and chug estus, or slam blood vials, and inevitably take damage and eat it or turtle up or whatever.

Sekiro definitely felt harder than any souls games to me because I couldn't just pansy-out and summon help after dying to a boss 5 times, maybe thats why I didn't get as far through as any Bloodsouls games but also the boss battles I did manage to beat felt 10 times more exhilarating

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving Shinobi Hunter guy in the memory is the one driving me crazy atm. It’s like “I did a Mikiri counter! yay!” but then he avoids those for the rest of the fight and does these other awful attacks I can’t dodge

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I couldn't just pansy-out and summon help after dying to a boss 5 times
This is how I've always played Souls and why I dropped Sekiro without having beaten a single boss. Maybe I'll see the light someday...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

fridge corn posted:

Oh no not another mj stealth mission

I was not a big hater of them but based on everyone's reactions to them if the Miles game has no normie stealth sections like that it's going to eliminate like 80% of the complaints.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Replace the MJ stealth missions with Spider-Gwen missions.

Also replace the Peter Parker Spider-Man missions with Spider-Gwen missions

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Escobarbarian posted:

loving Shinobi Hunter guy in the memory is the one driving me crazy atm. It’s like “I did a Mikiri counter! yay!” but then he avoids those for the rest of the fight and does these other awful attacks I can’t dodge

Mikiri’s are weird, basically with him, except for the obvious sweep which takes a lot longer, you can just press circle, it says forward and circle but it doesn’t matter. But yeah the Hirata estate is harder, i think, you can switch between them but I recommend at least doing the first actual Boss in Ashina first. Also don’t dodge, you either have to deflect, mikiri or jump sweeps, or you’ll get punished. There’s like a few obvious attacks that you need to jump back and away from, like specific boss grabs, but you’ll know them when you see them because they have specific animations where they slam you down.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Sekiro definitely felt harder than any souls games to me because I couldn't just pansy-out and summon help after dying to a boss 5 times, maybe thats why I didn't get as far through as any Bloodsouls games but also the boss battles I did manage to beat felt 10 times more exhilarating

Yeah exactly, it’s way more satisfying imo, and makes you want to stylishly and flawlessly kill everything and soulsborne games are very much not like that.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 2, 2020

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

The best game villain, and one of the best villains ever in any media is Ted Faro.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lobok posted:

I was not a big hater of them but based on everyone's reactions to them if the Miles game has no normie stealth sections like that it's going to eliminate like 80% of the complaints.

This one wasnt to bad tbf

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Replace the MJ stealth missions with Spider-Gwen missions.

Also replace the Peter Parker Spider-Man missions with Spider-Gwen missions

Gonna be interesting to see what they tease and set up for future games in this new one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marvel's Avengers is permanently dropping prices on cosmetics that were initially temporary due to an in-game event

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-permanently-cuts-some-cosmetic-prices

I feel like this game is going to be dead before they ever get a chance to release that delayed new content (now scheduled for sometime next year). The next gen versions of the game are also delayed into next year as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why is stealth in this game so inconsistent lmao. Still on this same section and I’ll be hidden in the same section of flowers I was several times before with no issue but it’ll start going BLAAAAARGH BLAAAAARGH EVERYONE SEES YOU YOU’RE hosed NOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Marvel's Avengers is permanently dropping prices on cosmetics that were initially temporary due to an in-game event

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-permanently-cuts-some-cosmetic-prices

I feel like this game is going to be dead before they ever get a chance to release that delayed new content (now scheduled for sometime next year). The next gen versions of the game are also delayed into next year as well.

It's already dead.