Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

it's always hilarious to me that one of the arch villains of the whole franchise is a horny cougar

starfleet's so drat square, everyone's all in ten forward listening to chamber music for fun

i liked the one where her horniness levels are so high that she makes everyone else on ds9 turbo horny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i liked the one where picard was like "gently caress's sake i'll just program the holodeck to make a man capable of satisfying lwaxana troi" and it totally worked but then she got all insulted about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Sagebrush posted:

i liked the one where picard was like "gently caress's sake i'll just program the holodeck to make a man capable of satisfying lwaxana troi" and it totally worked but then she got all insulted about it

giving the computer instructions to create anything capable of anything on the holodeck is playing with fire

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

qirex posted:

starfleet's so drat square, everyone's all in ten forward listening to chamber music for fun

"hmm i only get 30 minutes on the holodeck once a month. should i spend it loving green triple-breasted space cheerleaders, or should i spend it wearing breeches and a cravat in Jane Austen Tea Party Simulator?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sweevo posted:

"hmm i only get 30 minutes on the holodeck once a month. should i spend it loving green triple-breasted space cheerleaders, or should i spend it wearing breeches and a cravat in Jane Austen Tea Party Simulator?"

according to gene, everyone in the future fucks everybody all the time and no kinks are taboo and there's no such thing as monogamy (god, majel, would you just chill out already, she's just an intern) so they probably don't need to get sex in the holodeck.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think I had an audio book version of The Witches and that was pretty good. I think it also kept the kind of bleak ending from the book where he stays as a mouse so has a like 5 year life span but doesn't mind because the he'll die when his grandmother does.

Edit: lmao they kept the original ending in the new film and now people are losing their minds

lol i remember getting to that part of the book and going "what the hell that didn't resolve things"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Sagebrush posted:

according to gene, everyone in the future fucks everybody all the time and no kinks are taboo and there's no such thing as monogamy (god, majel, would you just chill out already, she's just an intern) so they probably don't need to get sex in the holodeck.

the real kink is cosplaying victorian era prudes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
everyone on the holodeck walking around hanging dong and vag nonstop. this is what I imagine

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

infernal machines posted:

the real kink is cosplaying victorian era prudes

i organize all these little victorian vases on little victorian stands and there’s no TIME to gently caress aaaahhhhhhhhghhghhg

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Achmed Jones posted:

I'm glad that little jones declined to watch it with me, though. it probably would've scared the heck out of him.

I was talking with my brother about the remake (haven't seen it yet) and he said the original terrified him as a kid which surprised me. we're apparently a few years apart enough that I found it fun and he found all the witch scenes upsetting

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it makes me feel a bit bad because i loved that film and rewatched it in winter each year, accidentally being a big brother jerk. on the other hand he like horror movies now, so maybe it was formative

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i organize all these little victorian vases on little victorian stands and there’s no TIME to gently caress aaaahhhhhhhhghhghhg
carrying a little victorian vase on a little victorian stand over to the abode of a loose acquaintance,

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kenny Logins posted:

carrying a little victorian vase on a little victorian stand over to the abode of a loose acquaintance,

lmao

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

So I've always sort of assumed it but only recently realized I may be incorrect in this: We're supposed to look at Kirk reprogramming the Kobayashi Maru thing with something between "disgust" and "pity" because it shows he's morally an literal childe, right?

In the original context of just the movie Wrath of Khan by itself, I think the idea is that we're half-and-half impressed at how "cool" he is for cheating and nervous because of what they're setting up to happen later in the film. Kirk has never actually faced the no-win scenario. Later, he finally does face it, and he loses. We kind of think he might cheat his way out of it a second time but he really does lose. In the space of that one movie it's a decent arc. I think?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yeah it's good

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

I was talking with my brother about the remake (haven't seen it yet) and he said the original terrified him as a kid which surprised me. we're apparently a few years apart enough that I found it fun and he found all the witch scenes upsetting

the witches was the only movie i walked out of as a kid, after the boy was horrifyingly mutated into a mouse as bald secret witches cackled. i just turned to my parents and said "i'm leaving now" and walked out of the theater

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

lord funk posted:

the witches was the only movie i walked out of as a kid, after the boy was horrifyingly mutated into a mouse as bald secret witches cackled. i just turned to my parents and said "i'm leaving now" and walked out of the theater

I guess that just goes to show you were born a pussy and you'll die one too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol at both previous posts

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I gotta give you props as a kid for jay shermanning a movie

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

last night I watched asphalt jungle. tonight it's rififi

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

last night I watched asphalt jungle. tonight it's rififi
classic noir ftmfw

rififi is a stone classic. there is a 40 minute stretch in the middle of the film that is utterly without dialogue and it is riveting. every heist movie made since then has borrowed directly from rififi (and specifically this scene)

follow it up with some jean-pierre melville. le samourai, bob le flambeur, le cercle rouge, le doulos - all great

matti
Mar 31, 2019

watched few episodes of lower decks and wow i really cant stand any of these characters

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

matti posted:

watched few episodes of lower decks and wow i really cant stand any of these characters

turn your monitor on

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it gets less bad. i like it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it fails the 3-episode test but yeah it gets alright. better than discovery, and i stuck with it longer than picard, so

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
huh, i just assumed it was trash. ok i'm sold

god the bar is so low these days

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tell me about it. last night i watched the episode where bevehly's grandma's ghost lover lives inside a space candle and at night he comes out and gives bevehly constant wet dreams. cool

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i still can't believe they slipped her orgasming on camera past the censors

then again the third pirates movie, a disney property, features cunnilingus and child execution

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's hardly "slipped past." she spends like half the episode in a state of hysterical paroxysm and she tells a very uncomfortable troi, over and over, about the extremely physical experience she had after reading a particularly erotic part of her grandmother's journals

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dr Crusher what are you doing in here??

What the gently caress does it look like I'm doin
I'm gettin horny as a motherfucker

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
well spotted lol

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 3, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jolly road-trip novel The Road by Cormac McCarthy is only a quid on Kindle today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FV4T9I

Pricing elsewhere may be different

Also the new Stross Laundry book dropped a few days back, I haven't gotten round to it yet but apparently it takes a time-jump to after CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN, so I'm at least intrigued to find out what the gently caress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Lies-Dreaming-Novel-Laundry-ebook/dp/B07Y4QLYZN/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

classic noir ftmfw

rififi is a stone classic. there is a 40 minute stretch in the middle of the film that is utterly without dialogue and it is riveting. every heist movie made since then has borrowed directly from rififi (and specifically this scene)

follow it up with some jean-pierre melville. le samourai, bob le flambeur, le cercle rouge, le doulos - all great
emptyquote goes here

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Jolly road-trip novel The Road by Cormac McCarthy is only a quid on Kindle today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004FV4T9I

Pricing elsewhere may be different

Also the new Stross Laundry book dropped a few days back, I haven't gotten round to it yet but apparently it takes a time-jump to after CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN, so I'm at least intrigued to find out what the gently caress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dead-Lies-Dreaming-Novel-Laundry-ebook/dp/B07Y4QLYZN/
I haven't read any of the laundry books since the one with the super powered policeman as I thought he'd sort of run out of ideas, should I pick the back up?

Edit: oh yeah it's because the synopsis for the delerium brief made it sound like it would be 300 pages of the same joke about consultants in suits and the PFI complex and I've got Private Eye for that

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 3, 2020

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
thsi season of fargo is really underwhelming

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I haven't read any of the laundry books since the one with the super powered policeman as I thought he'd sort of run out of ideas, should I pick the back up?

Edit: oh yeah it's because the synopsis for the delerium brief made it sound like it would be 300 pages of the same joke about consultants in suits and the PFI complex and I've got Private Eye for that

Honestly if you aren't 'sunk cost' in the series I wouldn't, I preordered the latest book but even I have series fatigue at this point. I mean all the books have fun bits in them but I don't think it's a series I'll ever return to. Look up some detailed synopses if you dgaf about spoilers and see if anything interests you.

I do still want to read the last of the Merchant Princes TNG series he has ongoing to see how that wraps up though.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bump_fn posted:

thsi season of fargo is really underwhelming

This season started off pretty good and then it felt like they introduced too many characters at once and the pace of the show slowed down too much. The Oraetta/Ethelrida plotline they started at the beginning has barely advanced and I still have no idea how Timothy Olyphant's character is relevant to the plot. Maybe this is because of all the Wes Anderson stuff i've seen but Jason Schwartzman seems very out of place.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sub rosa is a landmark of bad television

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a special kind of bad that could only have happened in the early/mid 90s