Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Looks like they've finally given up on Pinot and Bardet with that route too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Punishment for Bardet leaving AG2R.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Glad to see some hardcore Pyrenees stages, Foix was cool in 2019 but it seems like a while since we've had a really Pyrenees focused route.

Luz Ardiden is great to have back, though I'd like to have seen Superbagneres instead of whatever Andorra is going to be. At least they aren't doing an Arcalis MTF; that's one of my least favorite HC climbs lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Double descent of the Ventoux.

248 km stage 7 seems unnecessary.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

goatface posted:

248 km stage 7 seems unnecessary.

Stages should all be 100-150km long

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I was literally about to complain that there wasn't a 200k+ mountain stage lol

Like I can get the long rear end sprint/flat days as a necessity to make for easier transfers but every grand tour needs at least one "gently caress you" 200km+ mountain stage with a sawtooth profile.

E) also maybe it'd be excessively mean but I'd love to have seen Mende come between the Ventoux stage and the Pyrenees.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 2, 2020

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serious gaylord posted:

Looks like they've finally given up on Pinot and Bardet with that route too.

They're definitely trying to force another Alaphillipe stint in yellow with two puncher finishes to start the Tour in a row, though.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Was randomly googling about how much it costs to sponsor a world tour team and found this old article was an interesting read. Basically sponsoring a cycling team makes no sense when you can get way more publicity doing a naming rights deal in other sports or do a skoda and just buy ads during the coverage. Natural ceiling for a cycling team is probably $20-25m a year so there's no way you can challenge ineos without a billionaire who's run out of other stuff to buy.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/analysis-pro-cycling-sponsorship-worth-cost/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
from what i've heard cycling sponsorship these days is either about image enhancement (eg Bahrain/Kazakhstan/Israeli sport-washing) or just for being able to wine and dine business partners by taking them to Tour de France/Ronde VIP events.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or billionaire plaything. It's cheaper than a football team.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Or you make all your money in Belgium

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

AHAHAHA holy poo poo the headline in this piece

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/11/bjarne-riis-its-not-realistic-to-think-a-new-sponsor-will-magically-appear/

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my preferred velo games username was always "mr 69%",apropos of nothing

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

60% of the time you fold every time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the last two Vuelta stages are the shittiest GT course design I've seen in ages

let's put a really good sawtoothed mountain stage before Angrilu so nobody will attack, and also let's make Angrilu a 100km stage so there's no gaps anyway

at this point I'm outright going to yell at anyone who advocates for super-short mountain stages

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Skinsuit chat. I agree that if you can get into it yourself it’s too loose. My partner should get the pleasure of zipping up my random body hair.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

How do you guys feel about the time trials at grand tours? They can be alright to watch and tell a fun story, but I always think it's kind of a lame way to shake-out the gc. It just doesn't feel like a race to me.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

moctopus posted:

How do you guys feel about the time trials at grand tours? They can be alright to watch and tell a fun story, but I always think it's kind of a lame way to shake-out the gc. It just doesn't feel like a race to me.

Time trials are great and there should be more of them. Also good to watch live because there's always something going on.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

TT are an integral part of the test of being the best alll round rider. Modern GC are too light on them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think they should have two, one flat, one semi-mountain.

And a downhill TTT.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also we're going to get more of them in the TdF going forwards because they've given up on forcing a Pinot win

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

goatface posted:

I think they should have two, one flat, one semi-mountain.

And a downhill TTT.

Where can I sign this petition?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Aero tuck on a TT bike seems terrifying.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't see how TTTs are viable for grand tours at this point. It basically precludes the possibility of anyone other than Ineos or TJV winning the overall.

I like a couple of ITTs though, especially mountain ones.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
12km long, first to cross the line timed only, full sprint trains gooooo

A nice warm up day.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really like "pure" MTTs because you get rid of a lot of the roleur skill and it's like mostly just a power/weight test at that point

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

goatface posted:

12km long, first to cross the line timed only, full sprint trains gooooo

A nice warm up day.

The Giro once started with a 1km TT

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Giro once started with a 1km TT

There’s some stage in Cycling Manager that I swear was a 12 seconds TT. You go around a corner and it’s done.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Bring back the prologue.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I didn't think I'd be so far out of touch with regards to TT. I don't buy the general rider argument because gc riders don't need to win or do well on sprint stages or punchier classics style stages. The later of which I'd like to see more of overall. Oh well. I'll watch no matter what.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I love a TTT but it puts far too much power into the hands of the super teams. Time Trials are good because it exposes riders, Roglic must have riden less than 3km in the wind before the final stage in France. Definitely a balance to be struck in terms of total Km's though.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

That's an argument for a budget cap more than against TTTs.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

moctopus posted:

I didn't think I'd be so far out of touch with regards to TT. I don't buy the general rider argument because gc riders don't need to win or do well on sprint stages or punchier classics style stages. The later of which I'd like to see more of overall. Oh well. I'll watch no matter what.

Not sure I agree. The Tour in particular has been won and lost in the first week on classics style stages multiple times over the last decade.

Though admittedly that has a lot to do with team strength and certain GC riders being protected by world class classics riders while others are left to fend for themselves.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

peanut- posted:

Not sure I agree. The Tour in particular has been won and lost in the first week on classics style stages multiple times over the last decade.

Though admittedly that has a lot to do with team strength and certain GC riders being protected by world class classics riders while others are left to fend for themselves.

To be open, I've only watched the last 3 years so I'm missing a lot of the history. I'm probably a little out of touch. If you can think of stages or tours that determined/affected the GC in that way I'd be interested just for watching.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TTTs but it’s only the 4 worst placed guys on the team, and the slowest time counts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s a good time.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

moctopus posted:

To be open, I've only watched the last 3 years so I'm missing a lot of the history. I'm probably a little out of touch. If you can think of stages or tours that determined/affected the GC in that way I'd be interested just for watching.

2014 had the York stage and the mini Paris-Roubaix stage where Nibali killed the other GC contenders

2015 had early crosswinds that tore up the GC on stage 2.

2016 had the Sagan/Bodnar/Froome/Thomas break on stage 11.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

peanut- posted:

2014 had the York stage and the mini Paris-Roubaix stage where Nibali killed the other GC contenders

2015 had early crosswinds that tore up the GC on stage 2.

2016 had the Sagan/Bodnar/Froome/Thomas break on stage 11.

Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuge. Let’s go.