Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Farm Frenzy posted:

discuss the archetypes of deez nuts
Left one: Reliable, slightly larger than the right one but not lumpy, per se.
Right one: Slips back into my pelvic girdle sometimes, needs a shave.

One ballsy snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Reaching the part of dystopian sci-fi where society moves on from first hand experiences to exclusively second hand opinions.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Reaching the part of dystopian sci-fi where society moves on from first hand experiences to exclusively second hand opinions.
You get to live in the early 90s and here I am stuck in the year 2020! I'll trade ya.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Some Guy TT posted:

Are you actually going to contradict any of my assumptions or have you not seen the movie either

Not putting in the minimum effort to watch a movie- an experience that would permanently claim as much of your finite time as taking an afternoon nap- but still wasting time developing opinions regarding it so strong that you strike out to waste another portion of time sharing them with others, then getting huffy when no one wants to engage with you earnestly, seems kinda deranged tbh.

Or it’s an expression of the secret 37th stratagem that Chinese scholars hid from mankind when they realized it had the reality altering ability to transform all matter, living or otherwise, in effective range into a clear, flavorless gelatin that retains the mournfully wobbling shape of what has gone.

Either way I didn’t see Jojo Rabbit either, so I’m meta deranged, come at me.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mysterious frankie posted:

Not putting in the minimum effort to watch a movie- an experience that would permanently claim as much of your finite time as taking an afternoon nap- but still wasting time developing opinions regarding it so strong that you strike out to waste another portion of time sharing them with others, then getting huffy when no one wants to engage with you earnestly, seems kinda deranged tbh.

Or it’s an expression of the secret 37th stratagem that Chinese scholars hid from mankind when they realized it had the reality altering ability to transform all matter, living or otherwise, in effective range into a clear, flavorless gelatin that retains the mournfully wobbling shape of what has gone.

Either way I didn’t see Jojo Rabbit either, so I’m meta deranged, come at me.

It's enjoyable, I recommend it. Follow it up with Inglorious Basterds if you feel like you need to.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Like serioustalk I think pop culture people haven't actually seen is a very underappreciated part of the zeitgeist because these assumptions tend to define our cultural history in ways that often completely contradict the texts that people cite as evidence

The fifties are one obvious example of this and I think there's some goons in here watching the original star trek who are surprised to find that it's a considerably weirder and more interesting show than you'd think based on the jj abrams bowdlerization

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Tubgoat posted:

It's enjoyable, I recommend it. Follow it up with Inglorious Basterds if you feel like you need to.

I keep meaning to see it but the trailers they played in theaters made it seem derivative of Wes Anderson and while I know that that’s just the assumption I made based on a commercial that was no doubt intentionally edited to induce a general audience to watch a comedy about children in nazi Germany, part of me can’t get past the initial impression and keeps going “I don’t want to discover I dislike a Taika Waititi movie this weekend; I’ll do it later,” forever.

Most likely I’ll keep that up until it’s not on HBO anymore, pay Amazon three dollars to rent it when I finally break down, enjoy it a great deal. I’m not everything wrong with modern society, but I’m some of it. Like, an eye dropper’s worth. The FDA would consider it an allowable defect level if my brain was ordered out of a fiberglass clown’s mouth.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sorry i just came from the weed thread

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mysterious frankie posted:

I keep meaning to see it but the trailers they played in theaters made it seem derivative of Wes Anderson and while I know that that’s just the assumption I made based on a commercial that was no doubt intentionally edited to induce a general audience to watch a comedy about children in nazi Germany, part of me can’t get past the initial impression and keeps going “I don’t want to discover I dislike a Taika Waititi movie this weekend; I’ll do it later,” forever.

Most likely I’ll keep that up until it’s not on HBO anymore, pay Amazon three dollars to rent it when I finally break down, enjoy it a great deal. I’m not everything wrong with modern society, but I’m some of it. Like, an eye dropper’s worth. The FDA would consider it an allowable defect level if my brain was ordered out of a fiberglass clown’s mouth.

it's p good imo

someguy tt i'm not going to debate your assumptions about a movie you haven't seen using examples from the movie (which you havent seen) bc a: lol and b: lmao

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Marx Was A Lib posted:

sorry i just came from the weed thread

lol fair. nice dude

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

You know I liked inglorious bastards when I first saw it and probably still would if I saw it again but it's another movie where the text and the zeitgeist are in conflict with each other because while the actual text is that the bastards are bumbling war criminals who just make the situation worse the movie deliberately distracts from this by making them seem like bad rear end nazi killers and blowing the casting budget on brad pitt when his character isn't actually all that important

Dollars to donuts most people thought that movie was about how not all nazis are evil as opposed to how not all americans are good and quentin tarantino might be one of them considering how I vaguely remember there being a deleted scene where brad pitt gets mad at the starlet for shooting the surrendering nazi in the back in the original it's left ambiguous whether or not brad pitt was going to murder him anyway

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sebmojo posted:

it's p good imo

someguy tt i'm not going to debate your assumptions about a movie you haven't seen using examples from the movie (which you havent seen) bc a: lol and b: lmao

I mean it's your call but this is a discussion thread and I talk about stuff I don't expect other people to have seen all the time and I don't mock people for making assumptions about them based on my posts

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I started watching Lovecraft Country and so far I love it because it's batshit insane.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i watched scream today for the first time in a long time. still loving owns. that movie starts out a full speed and never slows down

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

sebmojo posted:

it's p good imo

I will watch it... soon...ish. I just started a new job, they’re wasting no time making me travel, I still need to watch season three and four of Fargo, Raised By Wolves and...

vyelkin posted:

I started watching Lovecraft Country and so far I love it because it's batshit insane.

Jfc I forgot I was watching this show. It’s wacky with extra vowels.

A lot of stuff on that list, including Jojo Rabbit, I am sworn from starting or finishing on my own, which means I will spend all of my travel downtime watching reruns of The Computer Chronicles on YouTube, or finally crack open Collected Fictions.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

I assume the compilation movies cut out the vitally important quest for salt

How will you know the true cost of war if you don't see the child soldiers struggle for sodium?

(Even the current dvd releases of the series cut out the salt episode lol)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do the gundam child soldiers have gundam hitler as an imaginary friend

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

You know I liked inglorious bastards when I first saw it and probably still would if I saw it again but it's another movie where the text and the zeitgeist are in conflict with each other because while the actual text is that the bastards are bumbling war criminals who just make the situation worse the movie deliberately distracts from this by making them seem like bad rear end nazi killers and blowing the casting budget on brad pitt when his character isn't actually all that important

Dollars to donuts most people thought that movie was about how not all nazis are evil as opposed to how not all americans are good and quentin tarantino might be one of them considering how I vaguely remember there being a deleted scene where brad pitt gets mad at the starlet for shooting the surrendering nazi in the back in the original it's left ambiguous whether or not brad pitt was going to murder him anyway

I feel like you're overthinking it, since the message I got is that if anything we weren't nearly brutal enough against the nazis

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im curious how you came to that conclusion is it because in the movie they kill hitler earlier than we did in real life

because the movie projectionist and the boyfriend are the ones who actually killed hitler the basterds not only nearly sabotage the operation since their presence tips christopher waltz off they also allow christopher waltz to steal the valor of the actual heroes when hes motivated by naked self interest

its not a moral lesson im particularly comfortable with several years later as we watch the real world democratic party throw minorities and women who want to take radical action under the bus so they can instead give all the credit to former fascists whose only contribution was being in the right place at the right time to pretend like they were fighting fascism all along

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Some Guy TT posted:

im curious how you came to that conclusion is it because in the movie they kill hitler earlier than we did in real life

because the movie projectionist and the boyfriend are the ones who actually killed hitler the basterds not only nearly sabotage the operation since their presence tips christopher waltz off they also allow christopher waltz to steal the valor of the actual heroes when hes motivated by naked self interest

its not a moral lesson im particularly comfortable with several years later as we watch the real world democratic party throw minorities and women who want to take radical action under the bus so they can instead give all the credit to former fascists whose only contribution was being in the right place at the right time to pretend like they were fighting fascism all along

As long as we keep voting for fascists, they'll keep running them.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I thought the only movie about Nazis we like is come and see

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i like this new jam from filter

https://open.spotify.com/album/4ohpzoDTR8MxeMqrp69JZN

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

What happened to robert zemeckis? Both Welcome to Marwen and The Witches just made everyone mad

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bootleg Trunks posted:

What happened to robert zemeckis? Both Welcome to Marwen and The Witches just made everyone mad

The Witches, the Roald Dahl thing from the 90s??

My parents really liked Welcome to Marwen. :whitewater:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Tubgoat posted:

The Witches, the Roald Dahl thing from the 90s??

My parents really liked Welcome to Marwen. :whitewater:

He just remade it with anne Hathaway as the witch and I keep seeing articles about it being insensitive to the handicapped

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bootleg Trunks posted:

He just remade it with anne Hathaway as the witch and I keep seeing articles about it being insensitive to the handicapped

Oh dear. :eng99:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bootleg Trunks posted:

the witches are depicted as having weird looking hands and people who for whatever reason have similar hands don't like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUnFZVHHpg8

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I acquired wrestlemanias 1-10 in middling quality avi format and I am watching them right now

it's loving awesome

ray charles sings the gently caress out of america the beautiful before wrestlemania ii and it is a sight to behold

https://i.imgur.com/YJgqOxc.mp4

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

lol macho man walking in to pomp and circumstance

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Bootleg Trunks posted:

2005’s Polar Express. Something about a fascination with extremely detailed, mocapped, feature length cgi films either destroys the brains of boomer directors who are not otherwise animators by trade, or is an early sign they’re slowly trading artistic passion for having an excuse to leave the house & sit in a climate controlled room, surrounded by people that think they’re neat.

He can still put together cool sequences (like the crash in Flight. Hell, I’d go as far as to say Flight’s the only good movie he’s made in 15 busy years), but the mawkish self indulgence that was always there in poo poo like Forrest Gump is no longer counterbalanced by taste, restraint, or scripts.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the beowulf film by zemekis from 2007 is one of the worst things I have ever seen

it is so ugly, putrid and grating

it is an assault on the senses that is overlong, unfocused and it made me feel awful inside

watch it!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Egg Moron posted:

the beowulf film by zemekis from 2007 is one of the worst things I have ever seen

it is so ugly, putrid and grating

it is an assault on the senses that is overlong, unfocused and it made me feel awful inside

watch it!

The 13th Warrior on the other hand is excellent

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's the truth

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

gradenko_2000 posted:

It rules so hard. The first five minutes is a historically accurate rendition of a viking funeral as related by Ahmad ibn Fadlan and then it goes off the rails in a really fun way

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

sometimes kids at school will run around on their hands and feet and I say "like a thing that is both man and bear!" and these uncultured kids never get the 13th warrior reference

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So what's Biden-era mainstream liberal pop culture gonna be like?

And early guess? A lot like Obama-era stuff, but way more overt with its handwringing and handwaving of tensions. We're gonna get a lot of messages like "The world is complicated, but who cares?"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Egg Moron posted:

lol macho man walking in to pomp and circumstance

Pomp and Circumstance was his theme my dude. He used it for years

including this electric guitar version in wcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNEJvXy_JIY

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

rip in peace macho man, taken from us too soon by cocaine exploding your giant heart

https://youtu.be/dMbcOC5dS5k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

So what's Biden-era mainstream liberal pop culture gonna be like?

And early guess? A lot like Obama-era stuff, but way more overt with its handwringing and handwaving of tensions. We're gonna get a lot of messages like "The world is complicated, but who cares?"

an endless stream of:
1. “average” people who live idle lives in huge apartments in big cities with a strong focus on the superficialities of their races and ethnicities, but not the real struggle of those broader groups (and certainly not of those in poor circumstances in undesirable places)
2. historical dramas but every protagonist is decades ahead in terms of social progressivism
3. still more cop/legal dramas but woke including several redneck white characters shown their error of their ways

get ready for a lot of trumpist apologia