Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

garycoleisgod posted:

As for Ruan Sims, she was playing a game herself at the same time as the game she was supposed to judge (which should be on the people who organize judges for games really) and watched a replay later, she claims. The rules state that the judge must watch the match live in person and immediately lodge votes upon full-time. In the match in question (Parramatta vs Manly Round 7 2018), her votes were thrown out and Greg Alexander re-judged the players. It mostly blew up because she gave manly (and now Panthers) hooker Api Koroisau 1 point. Despite manly losing 44-10 and Api himself having a poo poo-house game, missing multiple tackles. She stated she thought he recovered well from mishaps in the game and that's why she gave him 1 point, so either she is a dodgy judge of football or she didn't even watch the replay and went off what she heard other people say about the match and didn't really understand what had happened.

I think I recall reading a timeline of her game finishing, the NRL game finishing, and her lodging her votes by text that meant she had also lied about watching a replay as it just wasn't physically possible with the timing. Also of note was that Koroisau was a family friend who played for Fiji alongside Sims' brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i watched the afl grand final and enjoyed it

now i will watch the nrl grand final

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

sudo rm -rf posted:

i watched the afl grand final and enjoyed it

now i will watch the nrl grand final

discord here: https://discord.gg/bqxDStt

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Nice way to concede a try.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Discord is the Big League of NRL support.

This thread is the Rugby League Week.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That was a great try even if it was an intercept.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress the storm so much the cheating pricks.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Panthers probably should have deliberately lost a game towards the end of the season, get it out of the way before it mattered.

Penriff a bit unlucky, but they look flustered and storm look calm, which is going to be the difference.

Smitn will get the clive churchill, not because I think he's best on field but thats what suits the narrative.

And as always, gently caress melbourne.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

ili posted:

garycoleisgod posted:

And as always, gently caress melbourne.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
cam smith retire bitch

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Panthers just keep on dropping it 😢😢

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Go storm

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Not happy about the result but melbourne were the better team. And to be fair, Penrith shouldn't have been that close at the end considering their first try was bullshit.

But I did enjoy seeing a team remember they could decline a conversion and take that option. Didn't work but I like seeing teams use the rules.

Retire Smith you bitch.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Wasnt the best game of footy i have ever seen.

Franko
Apr 25, 2007
Glad to get the win, but I hope Cam retires so we can keep the next gen going. Sell him off to the Broncos if you have to.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Oh hey I forgot to post here during the Grand final because I was drunk at the pub and chilling with Tommy Talau.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Origin teams are named. Quite a few changes, should be interesting...

NSW BLUES

1. James Tedesco

2. Daniel Tupou

3. Clint Gutherson*

4. Jack Wighton

5. Josh Addo-Carr

6. Luke Keary*

7. Nathan Cleary

8. Daniel Saifiti

9. Damien Cook

10. Junior Paulo*

11. Boyd Cordner (c)

12. Tyson Frizell

13. Jake Trbojevic

Interchange: 14. Cody Walker 15. Payne Haas 16. Cameron Murray 17. Angus Crichton

Coach: Brad Fittler

QLD MAROONS

1. AJ Brimson*

2. Xavier Coates*

3. Brenko Lee*

4. Dane Gagai

5. Phillip Sami *

6. Cameron Munster

7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)

8. Christian Welch

9. Jake Friend*

10. Josh Papalii

11. Felise Kaufusi

12. Coen Hess

13. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui*

Interchange: 14. Ben Hunt 15. Lindsay Collins* 16. Jai Arrow 17. Jaydn Su’A*

Coach: Wayne Bennett

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
QLD are really scraping the bottom of the barrell.

Brenko Lee a state of origin player? He's barely a first grader.

But based on past experience this means QLD will win 3-0.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

garycoleisgod posted:

Exactly my fear.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Thank god the boring off-season pre-season is over so we can get into the main event - The Off Season. I'm tipping Souths to take out the Gower/O'Neil/Schlossy Shoe this time around.

edit: Coates, Lee, Sami, Hess is some loving putrid poo poo, Queensland somehow winning would be the peak-Origin.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
When I read through the NSW team list I thought their bench was a little undersized. Then I looked at the Queensland team and realised it probably won't matter. That's a garbage team.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Cowboys take an early lead in the off-season scandal comp with some revelations from 2018:

SMH posted:

Sex, drugs and a cover-up: NRL sits on explosive complaint
Kate McClymont
By Kate McClymont
October 31, 2020 — 5.30am

The National Rugby League's integrity unit has been accused of turning a blind eye to an extraordinary complaint lodged more than a year ago involving a star player's toilet tryst, an aggrieved husband who was given prescription medication by a club official and the club's doctor who then provided a false medical certificate.

In a lengthy complaint to the NRL's integrity unit, which has been obtained by the Herald, one of the North Queensland Cowboys' star players is alleged to have "committed a sexual act with another person (not his wife) in a public toilet in one of Australia's busiest airports."

The team had played an away game in mid-2018 and the players were returning to Townsville via Brisbane airport.

The husband of the woman allegedly involved in the incident has made the complaint to the integrity unit via his Brisbane lawyer John Sneddon.

The man was distraught and furious when he discovered a message from the star player to his wife about their toilet tryst in the Qantas lounge which occurred on Father's Day 2018.

Alarmed at what could become a public relations nightmare, the woman, who is employed by the Cowboys, contacted the club's then football manager Peter Parr for help.

"On becoming aware of our client's knowledge of the sexual act," Mr Parr gave the husband prescription medication "to help him cope with the shock," said Mr Sneddon in his complaint to the NRL, first lodged in October last year.

Unbeknown to the husband, the tablets Mr Parr gave him were Valium.

Mr Parr, who is currently the manager for the NSW State of Origin team, admitted to the Herald that he gave the husband the tablets. Mr Parr said that on the night of September 5 the husband was at Mr Parr's home in a very distressed state.

Mr Parr denied that the tablets were his or that he knew they were Valium. He claimed he had "swung by the doc's" place on the night to get something to help the husband sleep. "They weren't mine. I don't have Valium in the house. Panadol and cough medicine is all I have," he said.

The husband, a long-haul truck driver, subsequently tested positive for benzodiazepine as part of a routine workplace drug test.

Dr Chris Ball, who runs a sports clinic and is the team doctor for both the Cowboys and the national team, came forward to claim – falsely – that he had personally consulted with the husband on the night of September 5, 2018.

"[The husband] had experienced a family crisis and was stressed and unable to sleep," said Dr Ball in a medical certificate to be provided to the husband's employer.

To explain the lack of any written prescription for the medication, Dr Ball stated in the medical certificate that he "does not prescribe benzodiazepine medication" and that on this occasion "I gave [the husband] a sample quantity of four diazepam [Valium]…tablets to help facilitate sleep."

On September 25, Dr Ball was contacted by a medical officer on behalf of the truck driver's employer. That doctor noted the "recent prescription for benzodiazepines on the background of acute crisis and poor sleep" and requested further information as to the "medical fitness" of the husband to continue his job as a truck driver.

On his Sports Clinic NQ letterhead, Dr Ball replied the same day, "I have not prescribed any more medication. He is sleeping well and is not needing ongoing treatment or medication."

Guidelines issued by the Australian Medical Association, stipulate that "Doctors who deliberately issue a false, misleading or inaccurate certificate could face disciplinary action under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law."

Mr Sneddon, whose client has never met Dr Ball, disputed Mr Parr's claim that the football manager left his home late at night to go to Dr Ball's premises to obtain medication for the husband.

Mr Sneddon has provided the medical certificates to the NRL and has informed the NRL's integrity unit that Dr Ball is the subject of an investigation by the medical watchdog AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency).

AHPRA and the OHO said that due to "confidentiality provisions" they were unable to comment to the Herald on individual matters.

However, Mr Parr confirmed to the Herald that Dr Ball has been the subject of an inquiry by medical authorities and that he had provided the regulator with an account of what had occurred on the night. Dr Ball did not reply to the Herald's emails and calls requesting comment.

In hindsight, said Mr Parr of his provision of Valium to the husband, "I wouldn't do it again" but at the time he was dealing with "a very stressful situation."

The couple's relationship never recovered and at one stage the wife called police, expressing concerns for her and the player's safety, following her husband's discovery of the affair. No charges were laid.

Mr Parr, who was recently appointed to the Cowboys' board after stepping down as the team's manager, acknowledged that both he and Dr Ball should have informed the integrity unit about the investigation by Queensland medical authorities.

Registered NRL personnel have an obligation to report matters which may bring the game into disrepute. Given that engaging in a sex act in a public toilet is a potential criminal offence constituting an act of public indecency, Mr Parr also agreed he should have notified the integrity unit of the alleged inappropriate behaviour of the star player.

In his most recent letter to the integrity unit, dated 31 August, Mr Sneddon once again complained about the lack of action by the NRL, saying there was one rule for some players, and another rule for others.

He also noted that, since lodging the complaint more than a year ago, the NRL Integrity unit was able to investigate and impose penalties on players including Josh Addo-Carr, Latrell Mitchell and Nathan Cleary.

On October 9, the NRL informed Mr Sneddon that the matter would be "progressed" to an investigation. This came only days after explosive allegations about former Souths' star Sam Burgess were published in The Australian. The allegations, denied by Burgess, included that in November 2018 Burgess, while on a drug-fuelled bender, was injected with a liquid tranquilliser by Souths' club doctor Andrew McDonald who wrote out the prescription in another person's name.

However, the NRL unit has claimed that a lack of co-operation on behalf of the complainant in the Cowboys' matter has been the reason for the lengthy delay. "Where complaints are made to police or other regulatory bodies we are mindful not to prejudice or cut-across those processes with our own investigations," said a spokesman for the NRL.

"The NRL will progress its investigation and is unable to provide further comment," the spokesman said.

Neither the woman nor the player responded to requests for comment. The truck driver referred queries to his lawyer, Mr Sneddon, who said his client has been widely disparaged by the Cowboys in an attempt to discredit him. He said his client has lost everything.

In late 2018, the husband sent the following text message to the player's wife.

"[Name removed], I know you wouldn't like me texting you but I feel no one but you could understand how I am feeling. I only found out today [his wife] gets to keep her job at the Cowboys.

"I feel so gutted that nothing what her and [the player] have done after cheating on both of us over that Gold Coast weekend is fair. I have lost everything - my wife, family. I feel so worthless after what they have done but to know that they will still see each other at the club is so hurtful for me.

"I just can't believe Parrie [Peter Parr] is covering [the truck driver's wife's] tracks and will still let her travel with the team. I feel like no one gives a f..k about how we might feel about it.

"I guess I should just realise I am nobody and not important to anybody especially to [his wife], the Cowboys and obviously [the player] who felt my wife was also his property. I won't bother you ever again. I promise not to ring or text again. I am sorry. "

He received no reply.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It happened on Father's Day haha jeeez

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

It happened on Father's Day haha jeeez

Yeah that poor bloke.

There's some loving dodgy doctors floating around the game, surprised they'd risk their careers getting involved with poo poo like this. I guess the allure of hanging out with footballers outweighs the career risk in the moment.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Please forgive the stupid question:

Given the AFL is under-writing Gold Coast and GWS, throwing buckets of cash at both clubs so they can stay alive in "hostile territory". (Sydney and Brisbane used to be getting the same sort of cash, now not so much.)

Is the NRL doing the same with Melbourne? Coz given the fact that they were massively overpaying their team for many years, surely the wouldn't need the cash. Relatedly, where was that cash coming from? Sponsors? A millionaire team owner?

Sorry about the stupid and unrelated question.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Please forgive the stupid question:

Given the AFL is under-writing Gold Coast and GWS, throwing buckets of cash at both clubs so they can stay alive in "hostile territory". (Sydney and Brisbane used to be getting the same sort of cash, now not so much.)

Is the NRL doing the same with Melbourne? Coz given the fact that they were massively overpaying their team for many years, surely the wouldn't need the cash. Relatedly, where was that cash coming from? Sponsors? A millionaire team owner?

Sorry about the stupid and unrelated question.

I can't remember the actual answer, but for a long time I think they were being underwritten by News Ltd (basically the NRL). Nowadays I think they're pretty well off.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
De Belin is a piece of poo poo rapist

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Come on now, he did offer the girl $50 to keep her mouth shut, oh wait that makes it worse.

But seriously, what a utter piece of poo poo. Him and his mate should swing. Liked his lawyer saying "Would he do something like this? He's a league player", cause to me that makes him seem more guilty.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

bowmore posted:

De Belin is a piece of poo poo rapist

garycoleisgod posted:

But seriously, what a utter piece of poo poo. Him and his mate should swing. Liked his lawyer saying "Would he do something like this? He's a league player", cause to me that makes him seem more guilty.

That poor girl. De Belin needs to suffer for this.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I only just read the accounts but Jesus Christ what a loving piece of poo poo

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
The most 2020 result

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

garycoleisgod posted:

Yep, sounds about right.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
To clarify my position: gently caress Queensland

ili
Jul 26, 2003

That was a fair fucken game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Very even, fair game which is pretty much disastrous for NSW given the team-sheets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Seen the score at half time, read the commentary about NSW overmatching QLD. Had doubts QLD would win.

Should never have had a doubt.

Although NSW should bounce back to thrash us for the next two games. I do hold hope of squeaking out another ambush in the last game though.