Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

pretty weak

eyyy im waaakin' heere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My only piece of solace* was that McConnell spiked the stimulus - which is something that obviously would have helped trump immensely.

That struck me as a "we've got what we wanted out of this useful idiot. Let's cut him loose." kind of move.

*They're a death cult and delaying help to people is both onbrand for republicans and lovely as gently caress.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ADINSX posted:

that guys not very intimidating

we're just getting started

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fart simpson posted:

quoting to save for later in case ur massively wrong

i genuinely hope im not.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

eyyyy im intimindatin here fuggetaboutit

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i love hove some people are cartoons

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lol at this itty bitty mashup of the michelin man and stay-puft that’s adorable

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah in 2000 roger stone and a bunch of sport coat wearing dipshits showed up and yelled down the recount by saying it was voter suppression and literally banging on the doors of the office where it was happening.

then a county clerk (or some similar position ?) declared the state for florida while the recount was stalled.

this literally happened and its called the brooks brothers riot

Apr 7, 2003

Obscene caricatures of a human being can pull a trigger just as well as the next guy. We'll see what happens today but I fully expect violence at some point, probably after dark.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Obscene caricatures of a human being can pull a trigger just as well as the next guy. We'll see what happens today but I fully expect violence at some point, probably after dark.

i really hope you won't shoot anyone

Apr 7, 2003

I'm not leaving my house for the rest of the week.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

El Mero Mero posted:

My only piece of solace* was that McConnell spiked the stimulus - which is something that obviously would have helped trump immensely.

That struck me as a "we've got what we wanted out of this useful idiot. Let's cut him loose." kind of move.

*They're a death cult and delaying help to people is both onbrand for republicans and lovely as gently caress.

nobody wanted to compromise on a stimulus because it let them shift the blame to the other side. at the very least, a skinny bill that extended boosted weekly unemployment and eviction protections could have gotten though. not ideal overall, but it would address the most important issue of keeping people from starving on the street

america is run by a wealthy gerontocracy and your life is a meaningless statistic to them

Apr 7, 2003

IIRC McConnell wanted immunity for businesses wrt covid deaths and that would have been a license to OPENERUP and shovel (even more) people into the furnace of capitalism. The Dems didn't go for that because that's incredibly horrifying even for them.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr. Nice! posted:

the fifth circuit also declined it, but it had an impact on the election regardless. the judge ordered all curbside votes cast on election day to be segregated. in response, harris county election clerk closed 8 of the 9 drive up voting locations for election day.

the republicans lost for two big reasons at the trial level - they waited until votes were already cast to file suit instead of in september when the plan was announced (with bipartisan support) and they could not show any actual harm in the otherwise lawful votes being counted.

yeah the federal 5th circuit judge who dismissed it was a 2002 bush appointee.

prior to that the all republican texas supreme court had rejected it twice, once before voting started and once after.

there is a lot of precedent saying that once you set the rules you stick to them because people have already voted according to the rules in place. the first time it went before the texas supreme court, before voting started, would have been the time to ask the feds to overrule that, but the texas republican party waited until the day before the general election, which made it too brazen even for a bush judge, hence the dismissal.

the texas supreme court ruled before early voting started (the first case they got)
that a car in a tent meets the legal definition of a “mobile structure” for the purposes of texas law about where polling places can be located. primary voting and election day voting in a “mobile structure” is not allowed, but in the general election early voting it is, and the harris county clerk was actually very clever to apply that to a car driving through a lovely tent and that’s the first time anyone has tried that.

it actually turned out to be a good example of judicial independence, which has been taking a beating recently.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 3, 2020

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Remember last year, when the prez's Scotland golf resort was denied a permit to expand, so he threw retaliatory tariffs on scotch whiskey because his office is explicitly for use for his own personal gain?

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-turnberry-golf-resort-plans-housing-development-scotland-1462842

https://www.forbes.com/sites/felipe...sh=1ba909da207f

In any other administration this would have been a massive scandal. It barely registered here lol

Okay now it’s personal.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

IIRC McConnell wanted immunity for businesses wrt covid deaths and that would have been a license to OPENERUP and shovel (even more) people into the furnace of capitalism. The Dems didn't go for that because that's incredibly horrifying even for them.

no argument here

wealthy walking corpses engaging in ideological slapfights while the country literally and figuratively burns down is 2020 in a nutshell though

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.statesman.com/news/20201102/harris-county-drive-thru-votes-to-count-federal-judge-rules

quote:

“People have been voting, and to file it late last week, I find it not to be timely,” Hanen said, adding that early voting had begun Oct. 13 and Harris County had announced plans for drive-thru voting months earlier.

Invalidating ballots also would have been too harsh a penalty for voters who followed directions and assurances from county leaders, he said.

“Over 120,000 people have already voted, with the vast, vast, vast majority of them (relying) on their public officials telling them this is legal,” said Hanen, who issued his ruling from the Houston courtroom’s bench, instead of in writing, because Election Day was looming.

Apr 7, 2003

Beatty has relied on food aid since the federal unemployment benefit was cut amid a political stalemate in Washington. “I don’t know what I’d do without this help. I haven’t needed a food bank since the 1980s,” she said.

Beatty qualifies for Medicaid to cover the cost of treating chronic conditions – a benefit which could be cut if the supreme court overturns the Affordable Care Act, as desired by the Republicans.

Still, Beatty wants four more years of Trump. “He did a great job putting the wall up, to keep out people who shouldn’t be here illegally from taking our money. He’s done a good job on the pandemic, too.”

Apr 7, 2003

ahahhahah lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1323424892939849728

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1323260252092071937

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Still, Beatty wants four more years of Trump. “He did a great job putting the wall up, to keep out people who shouldn’t be here illegally from taking our money. He’s done a good job on the pandemic, too.”

there's not a :thunk: big enough

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/rajat_suresh/status/1323638108018118657?s=20

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bless you, rajat.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Beatty has relied on food aid since the federal unemployment benefit was cut amid a political stalemate in Washington. “I don’t know what I’d do without this help. I haven’t needed a food bank since the 1980s,” she said.

Beatty qualifies for Medicaid to cover the cost of treating chronic conditions – a benefit which could be cut if the supreme court overturns the Affordable Care Act, as desired by the Republicans.

this election has been really great for reminding us all that so many americans are dumb as a loving rock

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i think these people would forget how to breathe if it wasn't involuntary

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

this election has been really great for reminding us all that so many americans are dumb as a loving rock

I remember there was a point 2012-ish where "obamacare" was polling at 24% approval but "affordable care act" was like 70% and it's like :psyduck:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

real talk though, it's very possible someone who has needed long term assistance like that has some cognitive/psychological issues, which could explain the reality bending take.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

never mistake fat for muscle

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1323667637293916161?s=20

Apr 7, 2003

When you're right, you're right.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

on it :patriot:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

die

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

she will

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

disenfranchise old people by running no white candidates at all and opening the polls at 7pm

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

gl usa :911:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my ward's voting location was moved to the pig sty

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

my ward's voting location was moved to the pig sty

mine was moved to a hotel conference room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

President Beep posted:

real talk though, it's very possible someone who has needed long term assistance like that has some cognitive/psychological issues, which could explain the reality bending take.

at least she has an excuse, still doesn't work for the dumbass protest voters in this thread