Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus I thought the standard line was “it expects you to look stuff up online” so Sony just cut out the middleman

haveblue fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Anyone else pre order directly from Sony? I have no idea how to check my order status but I got one there.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

qbert posted:

Some of the comments to this are hilarious. So-called Souls 'purists' who think this somehow dilutes the challenge of the game or some poo poo.

Every Souls game has a co-op feature where you can summon another person to fight the boss for you while you hide in a corner, but THIS is a step too far?

So much of Demon's Souls is about proper execution. Help videos, for the most part, aren't going to make you a better player. They will teach you how weapon upgrades work (the upgrade system in Demon's Souls is by far the most complicated of the series), where to find certain NPCs, and how to get some hard to find items. But the only thing that will make you better at the game is practicing and learning the game world's "rules."

Your average players runs to the wiki so drat much for these games that streamlining the wiki into some videos that integrate into the UI is merely a quality of life improvement. If you want a blind playthrough, then don't watch the help videos. No one is forcing you.

People who obsess over the "right" way to play these games are the worst. This attitude makes the games less attractive for new people to get into and I hate it. People should experiment and find something that they personally enjoy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

qbert posted:

Some of the comments to this are hilarious. So-called Souls 'purists' who think this somehow dilutes the challenge of the game or some poo poo.

Every Souls game has a co-op feature where you can summon another person to fight the boss for you while you hide in a corner, but THIS is a step too far?

YOU NOT ONLY CHEATED THE GAME YOU CHEATED YOURSELF

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but seriously a lot of people bounce off Souls games (like I did my first attempt) because it doesn't explicitly teach you things that are important to not get immediately blown up in Souls games

once you learn the basic stuff you can kinda muddle your way through any Souls game IMO, so if anything, I think people are just gonna use this stuff as a tutorial to be like "oh I shouldn't roll constantly" and things like that

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Demon's Souls feels more balanced around melee combat and I would recommend that people use a melee build their first time through with some select magic and bows, only because using nothing but ranged magic becomes pretty dull and easy and it isn't very engaging. That said, play the game however you want!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Picked up No Man’s Sky since I saw the updates and the praise and thought, “This is a joke. Game has to be underwhelming and the praise is all a lie.” I think I found the game to sink my sorrows in. Now I really want my PS5 to get the next generation update so theirs minimal to no loading.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i cut my sorrows to loving pieces and then throw firecrackers on them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i cut my sorrows to loving pieces and then throw firecrackers on them

sounds nice

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I remember learning about Demon's Souls for the first time from the original SA thread hyping it up. Had never played anything like it before and yeah literally consulting wikis and hints from other ppl was like 70% of the fun of the original.

Can't wait to bust out the old Winged Spear again (funny that Demon's Souls was the only From game I ever used a spear build)!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
I went to Yodobashi Camera in Ueno today and they had a few peripherals in DVD cases with the sale date of November 12th and nothing whatsoever about the sale of the systems. I don’t care when I get one I just want to put the money down and get on a list instead of checking sites that won’t update 30 times a day to preorder.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Picked up No Man’s Sky since I saw the updates and the praise and thought, “This is a joke. Game has to be underwhelming and the praise is all a lie.” I think I found the game to sink my sorrows in. Now I really want my PS5 to get the next generation update so theirs minimal to no loading.

NMS must be one of the ultimate comfort games out there.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

NMS must be one of the ultimate comfort games out there.
I find it very hard to go back to after spending a lot of time with tightly controlling games, though, because the way your character moves is comparatively butt.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

il serpente cosmico posted:

Demon's Souls feels more balanced around melee combat and I would recommend that people use a melee build their first time through with some select magic and bows, only because using nothing but ranged magic becomes pretty dull and easy and it isn't very engaging. That said, play the game however you want!

Can't wait to just one-shot every boss with Firestorm.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Demon's Souls is bad because the Moonlight Greatsword is a Faith weapon in it. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
180 clips of Vaatividya explaining the lore.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
The thing about a souls game is not knowing a single thing about it at all, even controls or basic poo poo. Its a feature.

But i can see how that would put people off. Still, cant wait for kojimas version of video guides to troll people with

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 3, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Anyone else pre order directly from Sony? I have no idea how to check my order status but I got one there.

I did the thing. You should have an order number they sent you from your preorder. Plug it in here: https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/order-lookup Unfortunately the actual data is basically "Yep, working on it" or "there's a problem."

They're also sending out notifications you're going to get charged soon, if that helps you track things.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vikar Jerome posted:

The thing about a souls game is nit knowing a single thing about, even controls or basic poo poo. Its a feature.
The game tells you the controls in the form of developer messages, and the NPCs you talk to tell you where to go. The idea of it being a completely bewildering experience is a product of nobody bothering to talk to anyone or read anything. Especially Demon's Souls whose structure is pretty self-explanatory anyway.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

I did the thing. You should have an order number they sent you from your preorder. Plug it in here: https://direct.playstation.com/en-us/order-lookup Unfortunately the actual data is basically "Yep, working on it" or "there's a problem."

They're also sending out notifications you're going to get charged soon, if that helps you track things.

Thanks homie!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Volte posted:

The game tells you the controls in the form of developer messages, and the NPCs you talk to tell you where to go. The idea of it being a completely bewildering experience is a product of nobody bothering to talk to anyone or read anything. Especially Demon's Souls whose structure is pretty self-explanatory anyway.

yeah figuring all that stuff out in-game is part of it the appeal, like i said. theres no hand holding.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one of the funniest things about the souls games is one of the best guys out there to help you learn them 1) has a stupid name (epicnamebro) 2) has a somewhat heavy southern accent 3) was literally consulted on the strategy guide for bloodborne

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Don't think I've seen this posted, interesting teardown video of the controller. Looks hard to get at the guts, but the mechanisms for the triggers looks neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNITneXnCo

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

rabidsquid posted:

one of the funniest things about the souls games is one of the best guys out there to help you learn them 1) has a stupid name (epicnamebro) 2) has a somewhat heavy southern accent 3) was literally consulted on the strategy guide for bloodborne
And Dark Souls 2. By the time DS3 came out he seemed glad to be able to play them without all that baggage again. It was a shame that he purged most of his old YouTube videos :(

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

holy poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saIObK1Wdb4

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Actually Demon's Souls pretty much demands you use a wiki. The weapon upgrade system alone is a complete nightmare and then there's all the tendency stuff that about as clear as mud. This is a game with a built in hint system.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Demon's Souls has an instruction booklet that touches on things like world tendency and weapon upgrades. It doesn't explain anything per se but it at least says that dying and beating bosses change the world tendency and that different enemies might appear at different world tendencies, and that there's a hidden blacksmith for upgrading weapons with demon's souls. You can easily get through the game without looking anything up, you just probably won't be able to find every last bit of content.

The bit of world tendency that really throws people is that when you go online, it shifts towards the server average, which is basically a bug (intended or otherwise) as far as I'm concerned. If you actually want to see the pure white tendency stuff you have to either play offline or never quit the game. That seems like something that they didn't really think through as opposed to a hidden mechanic that they intended you to find out for yourself.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 3, 2020

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Does anyone have any tips for online ordering? I'm going to attempt to order a PS5 online at my local Target or Best Buy when the clock strikes midnight on the 12th.

I already have an account created for both, so aside from refreshing the page on my computer, what should I do? Add my billing info ahead of time etc?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Messages on the ground and phantoms are all the explanation needed for souls games :getin:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think part of what's neat about the Souls game is that it asks how much the player needs to *know* about the systems vs just feel about them. I mean, you can (and people have) reverse engineered the math and wiki'd about it, but I think for most people, you're not really meant to think of the game as a series of numbers and formulas.

Compare that to RPGs where the formulas are a big part of the game (Path of Exile, Diablo, Disgaea) or the the many GaaS shooters (Destiny, Ubisoft franchises, COD) where they market to players about content in the same language that their internal project planning documents talk about it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

We're able to see that because humabity taught rocks how to do math by sculpting them at a drat-near molecular level then putting controlled lightning inside of them

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

Don't think I've seen this posted, interesting teardown video of the controller. Looks hard to get at the guts, but the mechanisms for the triggers looks neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rNITneXnCo

Kinda bummed that the price of the controller is so high and they only went with a 1500 mAh battery. I figure the new haptics/rumble will probably have it net out to the same battery life as the DS4 which wasn't great. I will probably end up with a charging station so I don't have to worry about it which I guess is probably their goal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The original ds4 shipped with like a 800

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I've never understood the battery life complaints about the DS4. I get like 8-10 hours on a charge. Charge it when you're not using it and don't do marathon 12 hour sessions of gaming? :shrug:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

bradzilla posted:

I've never understood the battery life complaints about the DS4. I get like 8-10 hours on a charge. Charge it when you're not using it and don't do marathon 12 hour sessions of gaming? :shrug:
The DualShock 3 lasted for days on end. I would say it lasted at least 6-8 times longer than the DualShock 4. Having to charge your controller every day or two was definitely not normal until this generation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bradzilla posted:

It’s not that.

It’s when you have a few sessions and don’t think about charging it and it’s nearly dead when you go to use it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Either way just make a habit of leaving it on a charging station and you won't have an issue.

It's worth the $20-30 for that peace of mind for the next 7+ years.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, that's fair. Either way I just found out the XSX controller is still using AA batteries and had a lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What is World Tendency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Towards ruin and global warming