Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I choose to believe he had no real plan for that final act, just stabbed her to stop the ritual because it's the first thing that came to him, and only afterwards thought "oh, right, I've got this mistletoe that can be used to heal deadly wounds :pseudo:".

Truly a Call of Cthulhu Player Character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ExtraCreditz/status/1323331542308016128?s=20

I haven't watched EC for years because it kinda sucks but lol this caught my eye and I had to laugh.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

With this garbage can full of dice and this copy of Lincoln's biography, I think we can fix this political system right up.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Queer Salutations posted:

With this garbage can full of dice and this copy of Lincoln's biography, I think we can fix this political system right up.

I laugh because it's true. Don't forget the tape measurers!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Arcsquad12 posted:

I haven't watched EC for years because it kinda sucks but lol this caught my eye and I had to laugh.

Oh god damnit, for some reason I forgot that Youtube EC existed (blocked them years ago when it turned out one of the founders was an abuser). So for one glorious moment I thought this was a surprise bonus episode of the Extra Credit podcast.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know the squeaky sounding guy of Extra Credits left but what about the guy that replaced him that would bring up his loud rear end cat every episode? Is he still there?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh my god Big Joel uses his puppy as a prop for his latest video and it is so goddamn cute.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Every time I turn on the news I end up screaming "WAARRG!" and firing off improvised rockets so this is highly relatable to me. Upvoted.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

forgot to post this the other day and don't think anybody else did so UpIsNotJump made a Minecraft VR video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRgmcdo0ro

lotta people making minecraft videos lately, huh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Augus posted:

forgot to post this the other day and don't think anybody else did so UpIsNotJump made a Minecraft VR video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbRgmcdo0ro

lotta people making minecraft videos lately, huh

Steve came out in Smash. I've seen a lot of people say that it made them less want to play Steve and more want to play Minecraft again so I'm sure that's a contribution. Also I think they recently released a big updated to the game as well.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

I think the algorithm has been favouring a few Minecraft YouTubers pretty heavily like Dream, and the Minecraft Championship has been huge on streaming as well. It's not getting more popular but it's in a swell of visibility at the moment.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Also if you've fallen down the VTuber rabbit hole you probably see a ton of Minecraft content.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shyrka posted:

Also if you've fallen down the VTuber rabbit hole you probably see a ton of Minecraft content.

It works because a lot of people are playing minecraft again now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Oh my god Big Joel uses his puppy as a prop for his latest video and it is so goddamn cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_eSbrrrKKo

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj-wc9qugGY&hd=1

cody put out a 2h long video huh

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Arcsquad12 posted:

how about no the gently caress we do not

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

but trump already has the golden throne 🚽

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

how about no the gently caress we do not

Congratulations, you've brought another 11 years of 'Life is just like Harry Potter' articles and videos upon us!

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 3, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this is exactly like Serial Experiments Lain

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
this is just like Madoka, because it makes me want to explode in a torrent of dark energy that consumes the world around me

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In a just world, we'd all have time-traveling girlfriends dedicated to saving us

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wanted to say for the Olsen tweet; I think it can be bad to get overly excited for violent revolution in the same way people hoping for the US to balkanize are kind of just naïve how much that would suck for them. But can definitely see how it is tone deaf.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Watching the new Down The Rabbit Hole video, its really kind of fascinating how the project kept expanding and evolving into something that not even its own creator seemed to fully comprehend after awhile. There's a point where the chess grandmaster asks where he went wrong after losing a match to Deep Blue and the developer guy basically says "I don't know". I mean yeah its because he was a computer scientist with a laymans understanding of chess but something about it really struck a chord with me. Say you build a dancing toy robot as a fun science project and then when you go and show it to your friends it gets up and starts doing Ballet en Pointe. Technically your creation is doing what you want it to do but its also doing something profoundly more than that.

It sucks that the match ended on such a sour note for everyone involved, though at least it seems like everyone went on to fairly stable lives and successful careers. Throughout the video I thought Kasparov went nuts and ended up dying in a church in Iceland but it turns out I was getting him mixed up with Bobby Fischer. Actually Kasparov seems like a pretty stand-up guy from what little I've read about him (though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that front).

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 3, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Watching the new Down The Rabbit Hole video, its really kind of fascinating how the project kept expanding and evolving into something that not even its own creator seemed to fully comprehend after awhile. There's a point where the chess grandmaster asks where he went wrong after losing a match to Deep Blue and the developer guy basically says "I don't know". I mean yeah its because he was computer scientist with a laymans understanding of chess but something about it really struck a chord with me. Say you build a dancing toy robot as a fun science project and then when you go and show it to your friends it gets up and starts doing Ballet en Pointe. Technically your creation is doing what you want it to do but its also doing something profoundly more than that.

It sucks that the match ended on such a sour note for everyone involved, though at least it seems like everyone went on to fairly stable lives and successful careers. Throughout the video I thought Kasparov went nuts and ended up dying in a church in Iceland but it turns out I was getting him mixed up with Bobby Fischer. Actually Kasparov seems like a pretty stand-up guy from what little I've read about him (though feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that front).

Isn't Kasparov the guy who straight up refuses to play women in chess, or is that some other weird chess grand master who thinks women shouldn't be allowed to sport?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuebot posted:

Isn't Kasparov the guy who straight up refuses to play women in chess, or is that some other weird chess grand master who thinks women shouldn't be allowed to sport?

That's Bobby Fischer. Kasparov is still around, he hates computer chess and plays chess puzzles using an account made by a GM that named it after Hafu, who's a female Hearthstone streamer.

edit: who also won Pogchamps, which was a streamer chess tournament, so it all wraps around nicely.

edit 2: wait, no, Kasparov was also an rear end in a top hat about that but apparently in recent years he has rescinded his dumb statements.

Dias fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 3, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He did say (and later recant) that women weren't good chess players "by nature" - a sentiment expressed by many (male) chess grandmasters, often in harsher words - but I don't think he ever outright refused to play women (he has been beaten by at least one). He also sold a championship to financially support Armenian refugees and has spent the last two decades organising for Russian democratic freedoms.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Watching the new Down The Rabbit Hole video, its really kind of fascinating how the project kept expanding and evolving into something that not even its own creator seemed to fully comprehend after awhile. There's a point where the chess grandmaster asks where he went wrong after losing a match to Deep Blue and the developer guy basically says "I don't know". I mean yeah its because he was a computer scientist with a laymans understanding of chess but something about it really struck a chord with me. Say you build a dancing toy robot as a fun science project and then when you go and show it to your friends it gets up and starts doing Ballet en Pointe. Technically your creation is doing what you want it to do but its also doing something profoundly more than that.

Kasparov has been arrested at least once for street fighting the Russian police, so he's generally solid I think, at least in terms of Russian politics.

As is typical of chess grandmasters he is somewhat insane, and buys into a weird pseudohistory that the last 2000 years actually took place in just a few hundred and the dark ages never happened.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

oh man ross has been busy, third game dungeon in a week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIbnAOxOwOc

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

He sure did, and what a 2 hours
It always comes back the Super Mario movie
2021 Cody deserves a loving award, too bad he doesn't exist anymore

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shyrka posted:

Please post the clip of Kiara skipping along in the nether, loving up, tripping on a crafting table, and throwing her full diamond gear-equipped self into a lava ocean

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Kasparov is kind of a right-wing crank, he also believes that most of history was mad eup to screw over Russia and we live in like 1500.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Crank yes, but isn't he like a just a fairly normal liberal who happens to live in a repressive country rather than being specifically right wing?

Though on the topic of Russian conspiracies does he also believe in the Great Tartary or the the Great Slavic Horde? I can't find specific references to those ones with a quick google.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 3, 2020

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Noted VR fan Super Bunnyhop plays Star Wars: Squadrons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84hM3t2j1RM

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

It was a bit dismal that in the end it all amounted to a bit of spectace to boost IBM's stock price.

Then again, that was what big-time chess was for a lot of the 20th century: bragging right to see which superpower could produce the most proficient, monomaniacal Rook-stealer. We cannot allow a chess gap, Mr. President! And then promptly forgotten about once the Cold war was over. IBM just used one of its resident nerds and his passion for a remix to suck out the last bit of juice in that box.

Also, yeah, Bobby Fischer. Now that was an anti-semitic can of worms. I'm surprised there hasn't been more stuff about him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sephyr posted:

It was a bit dismal that in the end it all amounted to a bit of spectace to boost IBM's stock price.

Then again, that was what big-time chess was for a lot of the 20th century: bragging right to see which superpower could produce the most proficient, monomaniacal Rook-stealer. We cannot allow a chess gap, Mr. President! And then promptly forgotten about once the Cold war was over. IBM just used one of its resident nerds and his passion for a remix to suck out the last bit of juice in that box.

Also, yeah, Bobby Fischer. Now that was an anti-semitic can of worms. I'm surprised there hasn't been more stuff about him.

It's kinda funny going from reading about/watching a video on Deep Blue to seeing a video on your recommended feed about not going 0-10 against a chess engine.

edit: also I just finished watching Queen's Gambit on Netflix, a pretty good anime about chess. It's an anime, don't let things like "it's live-action" and "it's a Western production" fool you.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Dias posted:

also I just finished watching Queen's Gambit on Netflix, a pretty good anime about chess. It's an anime, don't let things like "it's live-action" and "it's a Western production" fool you.
Does it have bombastic visual metaphors for every strategy made by the players, because that would make its animeness undeniable.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Supersonic Shine posted:

Does it have bombastic visual metaphors for every strategy made by the players, because that would make its animeness undeniable.

That's the only thing missing but sometimes it does veer into mind palace bullshit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it as good as the bullshit chess from Code Geass?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, chess is this weird thing. It gained all this huge cultural prominence because it was a complicated game where you can have really advanced tactics, and somehow this turned into an idea that chess was just a great way to demonstrate overall tactical thinking ability. So this entire infrastructure started to build around it with global ranking systems, and being a chess grandmaster was seen as shorthand for being a genius. Child chess prodigies (like Bobby Fisher) were put in the same category as Einstein. But in the end chess is just a game in the same way League of Legends is just a game, and being really good at it is cool but doesn't really carry over into any other aspect of your life. (Except potentially permanently loving you up if you start believing your own press.)

It's interesting to compare IBM's Deep Blue publicity stunt with the Watson publicity stunt. There were a lot of similar kinds of slight-of-hand, "we're not saying that this is closer to general Artificial Intelligence than it really is, but we'll gladly let the media speculate about it" moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Funny that we've kinda gone from World Cham,pion vs A FREAKING SUPERCOMPUTER to more laid back GM's (inc. occasionally the current world champ) gooofing online and actually making Chess big on Twitch. It doesn't seem quite as intimidating and stuffy nowadays.