Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Incest

e: good snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

shut up blegum posted:

Idgi this achievement? It's basically 'be an only child for 3 generations'? I feel like I'm missing something.

Only children still have four grandparents, unless their parents were siblings.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

yeah that achievement requires 3 consecutive generations of brother-sister incest with no other children

it's...gross.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did you ever see that one x-files episode that got banned in some places

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Excelzior posted:

yeah that achievement requires 3 consecutive generations of brother-sister incest with no other children

it's...gross.
Somehow my inbred queen still has pretty good stats (effect of genius/amazonian/beautiful) but yeah, after getting this achievement (and some other "eugenic" achievements), I definitely need to introduce some new genes into the gene pool.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can you do that achievement as matrilieal rulers who aleays cheat on their brother-husbands? So long as the kids don't get outed as bastards, it should work, right?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Oh dear me posted:

Yeah of course, I knew I was missing something :stonk:

Dec 30, 2008
I feel like the "have only 2 distinct parents" part of that achievement description is superfluous. Also the achievement seems gross until you remember that all of your children are secretly fathered by your horniest duke 100% of the time, so there's no actual incest taking place.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ah yes, avoiding incest by cheating on your aunt-sister-wife.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

megane posted:

New thread title?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

This was basically how divine marriages worked in CK2 - you'd marry a sibling for political reasons but you'd have concubines to produce heirs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

megane posted:

Don't be silly, you do the incest then do plots after you get the achievement to rewrite history

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I have avoided incest and still managed to breed an heir with all 3 main good inherited traits, although not max level for all of them. I did marry my heir to a cousin twice, other than that, just very careful marriages and working on the bloodline dynasty tree.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Do you goons recommend this game in its current state or wait for a sale / expansions / mods?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's pretty universally recommended. Maybe not as content and mod rich as full CK2 right now, and a few systems need work, but it's not like release civilization games missing 75% of their features.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Midgetskydiver posted:

Do you goons recommend this game in its current state or wait for a sale / expansions / mods?

If you want a month rental, Xbox PC game pass is still $1 for the first month and you can cancel the subscription before the next billing cycle.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Gorman Thomas posted:

If you want a month rental, Xbox PC game pass is still $1 for the first month and you can cancel the subscription before the next billing cycle.

Hey, thanks for the heads up I am def doing this. Cheers!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm coming back to this for the first time since release, wonder if I could get some advice on whether I'm just spectacularly unlucky or if this is normal in the current state.

I wanted to do a Crusading game to create the Outremer Empire, but the crusades just won't start. I've done the first 60 years of the game like three times and the event to kick off the crusades doesn't fire. In all three games Jerusalem was still under a non-christian liege. I'm at like 1120 in my current run, Mecca got taken by some Dualists and jihads were ready to go within like 2 weeks, but still nothing on the Crusade front. Catholicism's fervor has barely climbed over 50% all game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah Crusades won't fire unless Fervor manages to get up past 80%, which mostly requires a good heresy outbreak to spike it up.

Fervor system bad

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I just figured out I can convert to my wife's faith, Catholicism, for a minimal cost (250) compared to converting back to Catholicism on my own (1700+). Pretty sick of my children converting to heresy, but this solves that problem.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I went digging into the game files, turns out the reason the French Peerage Innovation can't be obtained is that you can't take that decidion if you have a Frankish culture... :wtc:

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I'd be happy for the crusades to end. Every 5 minutes the Pope is like 'Hey let's crusade for that one province the empire of Hispania doesn't own! Every run, I find myself seriously considering switching to Orthodox to bypass the entire mechanic

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I went digging into the game files, turns out the reason the French Peerage Innovation can't be obtained is that you can't take that decidion if you have a Frankish culture... :wtc:

Looks to me like they probably originally had French culture as a part of the Latin culture group, but changed that at some point? Or maybe it's intended that you bring a non-Italian Latin culture to the region of Francia. Either way it's strange.

Moreau posted:

I'd be happy for the crusades to end. Every 5 minutes the Pope is like 'Hey let's crusade for that one province the empire of Hispania doesn't own! Every run, I find myself seriously considering switching to Orthodox to bypass the entire mechanic

I find Crusades to be a fun enough diversion when playing as a Catholic, but the cooldown needs to be a lot longer.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 2, 2020

Dec 30, 2008
Am I missing something or is it impossible to just revoke a kingdom/duchy without revoking all of the lower tier titles as well? One of the dukes in my empire just inherited his neighbour's duchy and declared himself king, and I want to revoke his kingdom title without unlanding him so that I can maintain his feudal contract. Whenever I click on the kingdom in the title revocation screen it automatically selects all of the de jure duchies and counties he holds as well, and I can't unselect them.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My levies keep getting to a point below my max and then they cease to refresh / raise.

My max levies is 542 but it's stuck at 387 and says "(0/month)" in the tooltip. Any reason why it won't refill those last 160 or so?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's probably that you're not actually entitled to them and the UI hasn't updated. Raise and disband (you don't have to wait for them to gather) and it should update.

Moreau posted:

Yeah in my Outremer game it got so damned frustrating that I created my own faith just to get away from the Pope constantly tanking our fervor. Plus it turns out that beating back his continual crusades for Jerusalem gives you a fuckload of piety you can use to buy claims which is nice.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PittTheElder posted:

Oh. And I see it's a known bug since at least the end of September judging by some paradox forums' bug reports. Nice, nice, I didn't want to enact this cool decision after going from Count of Vermandois to Emperor of France anyway :mad: :argh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Midgetskydiver posted:

Hey, thanks for the heads up I am def doing this. Cheers!

Just one heads-up on this.
There's a bit of a stink going on about MS Flight Simulator where apparently if you buy the Deluxe version of the game you don't actually buy the Deluxe version of the game — you simply activate deluxe as part of your Game Pass subscription for the tune of $90, and if you stop subscribing, the game goes away along with it.

If you're using game pass as a demo platform before buying, make sure to check and double-check the terms of the purchase before pulling the trigger. If you end up liking CK3, it's a game that will keep going for quite some times, and while I'm sure you get lots of fun things along with that subscription, you might not want to be tethered to the XBox service for years to come.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

TorakFade posted:

Oh. And I see it's a known bug since at least the end of September judging by some paradox forums' bug reports. Nice, nice, I didn't want to enact this cool decision after going from Count of Vermandois to Emperor of France anyway :mad: :argh:

That corresponds roughly to when fixes were made to the decision internally, it should be making its way to you in a future patch.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
There will be a future patch! Exclusively confirmed on SA!

Now I can't play anymore, have to wait for the update.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LordMune posted:

That corresponds roughly to when fixes were made to the decision internally, it should be making its way to you in a future patch.

Good to know :) I hope it's not too far away because

ilitarist posted:

There will be a future patch! Exclusively confirmed on SA!

Now I can't play anymore, have to wait for the update.

:same:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
On a more serious note I'm relieved CK3 team doesn't make the game unplayable for me with devdiaries explaining how great will it be in a month or two.

But some sort of patch rundown would be great. Like how they've replaced main menu and ruler selectiob UI and made it a point in patch notes.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

All the same, and I don't really like to complain about the little things, but I wish Paradox was more willing to hotfix things that get broken in a patch. I saw this kind of stuff in Stellaris, where a new, big patch would break something, and it would go unaddressed for months. The thing in particular I'm thinking of is the visual bug where after finishing a war, the area you declared war on remains glowing red. Then again, they did fix the tyranny gain when revoking with claims, which was far more pressing, so I guess it's not so bad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly it feels like Paradox is taking a very different approach to supporting CK3, with long lead times on patches and limited communication in the meantime. My gut as someone who does SW dev for a living and someone who has noticed how technically sound CK3 is as system (I gripe about immersion and balancey stuff but the core "does it run" parts of it have been rock-solid for me) is that they're investing a lot more effort into verifying changes before they go out the door.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guest posted:

I feel like the "have only 2 distinct parents" part of that achievement description is superfluous.

If it works like CK2 then without that distinction you could get the achievement by being a bastard with no known father whose mother was the child of two such bastards.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guest posted:

I feel like the "have only 2 distinct parents" part of that achievement description is superfluous.

Well they need to make sure they rule out immaculate conception.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The pope being your landless vassal and calling a crusade against your religion is some really petty poo poo.

Also: defending crusades is tedious as hell. At no point was I ever at risk but it still took forty five minutes to put down.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah when the Pope still had the Papal States my go to move was to smash up armies until hitting 50WS, then cruise over to Rome and siege it down for the other 50. But once he's landless (and my vassal for some reason??) it's just brutal.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The best is when you’re waiting for “defender controls war target” to tick up enough to end the war and then two vassals within the contested kingdom go to war and occupy each other and it resets the crusade warscore to zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So much would be improved if the “dismantle the papacy” decision was available to non-Catholic faiths, rather than just to non-Christian ones — or just anyone that doesn't have the Catholic pope as their religious head for whatever reason (including reformed Christians with temporal heads of faith). Maybe it'll get sorted when we get back cardinals and antipopes and all that jazz in some future DLC, and seating heretics in Rome is part of that, but until then…