Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

eternally naked

Der Ewige Nude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
i only just now noticed that yes, he draws snout's arm hair the same way he does corpsegf's arm scars

1:1

:(

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

And eternally naked, too. There's all sorts of layers here and none of them are good.

Last week he taught her how to read!

It is just astonishingly bad if she's black on every possible level

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
His Mon Wed Friday.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The good news is that Mookie's a coward. If any of the last 6 guys unironically reading the legacy ever went "this doesn't feel cool" he'd backpedal so hard the corpsewife would've never been black to begin with. I think even if you asked plainly he wouldn't confirm it one way or the other.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's all sorts of layers here and none of them are good.

Dominic Deegan in a nutshell.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'd be kind of curious what his site analytics are like. I mean, we know his readership is not what it used to be

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
For some reason him copy pasting almost an entire page worth of panels that happened only a few pages ago has taken my ire for this comic to the boiling point.

It's like, you know that using the same panels to show him getting beat up again makes it look like it's meant to be a call back gag, right?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I mentally dubbed over the yell from DJ Jazzy Jeff being thrown out of the Bankses' house for exactly that reason.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Along with the racism, it’s really bizarre how this character who just came into existence recently and has just learned to read has these random, weirdly directed fits of rage. It’s inexplicable that ‘literal child in a naked lady’s body’ is the person Mookie is willing to make abusive. Is the abusive corpse daughter wife meant to be anyone or anything or just meant to make Snout more pitiable by abusing him?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, I wish I knew where he was going with this but at the same time I'm not sure I do? Doesn't help that this thing moves at such a snail's pace and who knows if any of these plot threads will get any sort of resolution (or development!) anytime soon.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Everything gets resolved quickly when the one-winged mongrel man suddenly falls out of the sky and smashes into Snout and Corpsemom

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I want to hope that even Mookie is smart enough to know now that "feral, violent, and must be taught language and life skills by a more rational character" would be a terrible arc to give to a character of color. But then again, he gave us Bumper and thought it made him an ally.* I'm... going to tentatively hope that he's just given no thought at all to her appearance besides "wow it's easy to scribble with an ink brush" and is so self-absorbed that he's not thinking out the implications. Realistically, I'm prepared for the worst.**

( * And while the topic's moved on from it, I do wanna say: The OfH rereads are very insightful, as they give context to much of his present writing and establish how certain points are patterns that persist even now.)

Come to think of it, has he ever drawn the Legacy cast in color? For some reason I want to say Ink Witch is a redhead, except I cannot remember any drawing that actually suggests that and I may just be pulling colors out of my rear end. Coincidentally, rear end-pulls are a vital part of the DD creative process.

I'm not totally sure what he's even going for with this subplot. Either the only way he can characterize Corpselady is by making her do the opposite of Ink Witch ("instead of hugging Snount suddenly, she punches him suddenly! :) "), or he's trying to set up Snout as a martyr who forgives all wrongs done to him and is a kind and pure soul who's worthy of... whatever plot device he'll come up with eventually.

** Edit: Peeked into the archives just to double-check something and realized how slim and... neat? that Snout's face structure now compares to how broadly animal-like it was at the beginning. Also yeah, looking at Corpselady's face again I'm starting to think Mookie is making a deliberate choice and does know what he's suggesting. Goddammit.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 4, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MiracleFlare posted:

** Edit: Peeked into the archives just to double-check something and realized how slim and... neat? that Snout's face structure now compares to how broadly animal-like it was at the beginning.

I'm not gonna fault him for his character designs being refined as the comic goes on. I'm sure a lot of people here remember the early days of Gunnerkrigg Court and Annie's football head.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Early Snout was actually better in my opinion. The smoothing out of his features is def due to the switch to digital, while the lumpiness and beady eyes made him look more animal like.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Yeah new Snout looks like an anime dog boy, and not even a good one.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Legosi is a good boy :kimchi: bummed Beastars ended

I definitely agree with whoever said (this was a while back) that they would have a lot of respect for mookie if he just came out and said that Legacy was mostly for himself and he was posting it in the hope that there might be someone else out there who got some enjoyment out of it...but at the end of the day it was definitely just for mookie's personally satisfaction as an artist. The idea that he's doing Legacy with an audience in mind is just...I dont know, it's kind of sad. Especially after seeing how little he's imporved or grown as an artist. Reminds me of a (former) friend of mine who was somewhat popular among our local con scene back in the 2000's and just never grew past that despite everyone else moving on and growing as people.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Joe Slowboat posted:

Along with the racism, it’s really bizarre how this character who just came into existence recently and has just learned to read has these random, weirdly directed fits of rage. It’s inexplicable that ‘literal child in a naked lady’s body’ is the person Mookie is willing to make abusive. Is the abusive corpse daughter wife meant to be anyone or anything or just meant to make Snout more pitiable by abusing him?

This keeps bothering me and I’ve realized why: there’s no perception of the actual power differential here. Snout is being physically abused and sexually harassed by, effectively, a child. Mookie’s understanding of the power dynamics between Snout and his abusive corpsedaughtermomwife is bizarrely attenuated but it has to be, because he doesn’t see an issue with having a corpsedaughtermomwife in the first place.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

TheHan posted:

Early Snout was actually better in my opinion. The smoothing out of his features is def due to the switch to digital, while the lumpiness and beady eyes made him look more animal like.

Given that he was supposed to be a mongrel man, the switch from more realistic dog anatomy to this UwU anime catboy has been a move in the wrong direction for making the character sympathetic. It's not just smothing out either, he started out wiht more of an actuall muzzle and an almost batlike nose, but now it's straight into anime character.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m not really an art person, but even I dislike how his face has basically been locked into “sad tiny dog” for a while now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m going to say that the fact of Terraciano’s tracing isn’t a problem; it’s better than pasting a speech-bubble on a photo-collage or something. The vexing thing is that he’s somehow bad at tracing. Like, he’ll usually just do a vague outline around a shape - so that, say, a dude’s head will look as though it’s been dipped in taffy. That, or certain parts of the image will be relatively hyperdetailed, or incongruously wedged into the composition.

One good example would be the recent handful of large-panel dramatic poses, where the ‘camera’ points up from ground-level and there’s suddenly perspective.

Another is where Snout’s outstretched neck and lower jaw have fairly precise human anatomy, while his eye bugs out the side of his head, and his nose looks like a mass of wet tissue paper. That, and none of it matches the angle of the torso.

Better tracing, while still disappointing, wouldn’t be too far off from simple photo-reference. But he’s not really looking at the anatomy at all, as you can tell from the characters with exposed musculature.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah how he hosed up tracing the eyes on the Frankenstein monster image stands out to me in particular.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Just wanted to say that some personal stuff is getting in the way but I will resume my read-through soon.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Little Death posted:

Just wanted to say that some personal stuff is getting in the way but I will resume my read-through soon.

Take care, you're a million times more important than posts in this thread

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The Little Death posted:

Take the time needed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Indeed, looking forward to when you start again, and I hope doing this retrospective gives you the same catharsis and enjoyment my Star Power one did. I really enjoyed doing it and it took my mind off a difficult time (the start of the pandemic). So take the time you need, and we appreciate you!

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Little Death posted:

Take care friend :)

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

The Little Death posted:

Take care, The Little Death. I've really enjoyed you going through the original DD comics, take all the time you need!

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Take care, don't worry about coming back before you're ready - if we can wait for Legacy to do nothing for a year we can wait for anything!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I loving hate Barthas. So much bad Deegan is filler poo poo in Barthas. Jerk jocks, Battle for Barthas, Supergreg, Urban Eddie, loving Facebath.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Do take care, The Little Death! Thanks for your read-through and analysis of Mookie's poo poo. I've only noticed Mookie's work starting with Legacy, so your posts have been a huge help in understanding how terrible Mookie is as a writer.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

I loving hate Barthas. So much bad Deegan is filler poo poo in Barthas. Jerk jocks, Battle for Barthas, Supergreg, Urban Eddie, loving Facebath.

I quit reading after Luna's evil sister getting murdered rear end-up, but I'm so loving stoked to experience all this for the first time.

On the other hand, take care of yourself LD.

Real talk though - it would have been better to have had Stunt kill her.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 6, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Fear not. Stunt gets to inflict terrible violence on women soon enough.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The re-read's been a delight and massively more entertaining than the Legacy, thanks for putting in the work Little Death and wishing you the best.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The Little Death posted:

You are a good Death and I appreciate your efforts. Please take the time you need, Tiny Reaper.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

my favorite part about stunt's mysogyny is that since he is technically on the good guy side, he must be scrubbed clean of all moral culpability, so his misogynistic outbursts are retconned to be a woman's fault

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

a cartoon duck posted:

my favorite part about stunt's mysogyny is that since he is technically on the good guy side, he must be scrubbed clean of all moral culpability, so his misogynistic outbursts are retconned to be a woman's fault

They are also gradually retconned and walked back as the Mookiefication process advances through its stages on Stunt. First, he killed his mother by "slitting her nasty throat," later, he explains he reluctantly killed her in self-defense because she was physically abusive towards him, and finally, he merely slipped on a banana peel with his knife out while catching her with her lesbian lover and most definitely got her in the midsection, no throat in sight.

I'm really looking forward to the Eldariat to Die arc, in other words.

I want to hop on the pile and say hope you're well, The Little Death and we appreciate you. Take all the time you need. You've certainly earned it the hard way.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Every now and then the topic of Dominic Deegan would come up and I would be surprised by how little I remembered of it, so I am insanely thankful for the re-read. Take as long as you need, TLD!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm hoping Mookie weighs in on the recent election results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I'm hoping Mookie weighs in on the recent election results.

Broke: Celebration tweets.

Woke: Celebration comic.

Bespoke: Inkwitch slowly morphs to resemble Kamala Harris