Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
3070s have been just regularly in stock in Japan since launch across a couple retailers for the Zotac, Galakuro Gaming, and couple Gigabyte models. All the scalpers on Yahoo! Auctions aren't selling anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So where do y'all go for used GPUs? A 2080Ti at $450 seems like a good deal if I can get one safely. I've bought phones and stuff off Craigslist, but those can be tested at the point of purchase. SA-Mart doesn't seem to have any. eBay is well above that price. Craigslist locally has a couple month-old listings in that range, which I'm a bit leary of - should I be? Seems too early to have that price a month ago.

Like what are the sites with reasonable history on the seller other than eBay and SA-Mart?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I’ve bought a bunch of stuff on Reddit hardwareswap, r/hardwareswap. Otherwise I’ve used eBay and SA Mart a few times. Just make sure you use PayPal goods and services so you have some protection, don’t let anyone talk you into PayPal friends and family.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
I have an i5-7600k, 1060 6gb, and 32gb ram. Im really hoping I can squeeze 1-2 more years out of the cpu/board with a better video card. What would be the best fit for 1440 gaming at high to ultra (if that's even possible given the cpu)? My budget prohibits me from upgrading the whole setup but now that I have a 4k monitor I want to get as much out of it as I can while putting money aside for the future build.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shipon posted:

How about just not getting mad about something which is clearly just an overall difficult to manufacture issue combined with high demand? It's a loving video card, you'll survive if you have to wait a bit. I'm waiting a bit.

What if people just stop telling people what to or not to get mad about, in the most stressful year in recent memory, where any sort of outlet for stress is a welcome one.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I wonder how relevant AMD "smart access" memory will be in the future. Right now, they are saying it gives single digit performance gains, which isn't a lot, and it looks like only a handful of games utilize it (borderlands 3, gears 5, hitman 2, wolfenstein young blood, and forza horizon 4).

Not sure how much the wider bandwidth access of GPU VRAM by the CPU matters, but I guess it could help with 4K textures. Now, I could be wrong, but I don't see how this is relevant if machine learning super sampling takes over. With this technology, there wouldn't be a need to transfer 4K textures, as the high resolution details would be generated from source lower res textures.

As a result, I think developers may prioritize DLSS support over something like smart access, but who knows, maybe consoles will drive adoption since both the xbox and ps are built on amd hardware. I generally don't like vendor lock-in, even though amd is better about this than nvidia.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

The Gadfly posted:

I wonder how relevant AMD "smart access" memory will be in the future. Right now, they are saying it gives single digit performance gains, which isn't a lot, and it looks like only a handful of games utilize it (borderlands 3, gears 5, hitman 2, wolfenstein young blood, and forza horizon 4).

Not sure how much the wider bandwidth access of GPU VRAM by the CPU matters, but I guess it could help with 4K textures. Now, I could be wrong, but I don't see how this is relevant if machine learning super sampling takes over. With this technology, there wouldn't be a need to transfer 4K textures, as the high resolution details would be generated from source lower res textures.

That’s not how DLSS works, it doesn’t negate the need for high res textures at all.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That’s not how DLSS works, it doesn’t negate the need for high res textures at all.

Well I mean that it allows for rendering at lower resolutions, and machine learning uses neural networks to predict what the higher res render should look like based on the lower res without needing to actually use the 4K source render.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah but Happy_Misanthrope is right, it doesn't change anything about the source textures required

To upscale e.g. 1440p to 4K with DLSS you have to render 1440p but bias the texture LODs so the samplers behave as if you were rendering at 4K

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

B-Mac posted:

I’ve bought a bunch of stuff on Reddit hardwareswap, r/hardwareswap. Otherwise I’ve used eBay and SA Mart a few times. Just make sure you use PayPal goods and services so you have some protection, don’t let anyone talk you into PayPal friends and family.

Thanks, useful info. Especially PayPal goods & services.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

repiv posted:

Yeah but Happy_Misanthrope is right, it doesn't change anything about the source textures required

To upscale e.g. 1440p to 4K with DLSS you have to render 1440p but bias the texture LODs so the samplers behave as if you were rendering at 4K

Sorry, I don't understand :saddowns:

Why would you need 4K textures if you're rendering at 1440p? Is it super sampling 4K? But then I don't think think there would be a big performance increase.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

vanilla slimfast posted:

I had good luck w the discord that sean10mm posted last week. Got pinged Friday about a Newegg drop and was able to one-click purchase w Apple Pay. It arrived today. And fwiw I haven’t noticed any nazi chud poo poo but I’ve just been sticking to the stock tracking channels and ignoring everything else

Now waiting (impatiently) till Thursday for the Zen3 launch in order to finally complete this build

I loving set up apple pay and I know I entered all of my information correctly, and when the big moment came while I was taking a poo poo and staring at my phone I clicked the apple pay button and it pulled up information from like 12 years ago and was like 'this shipping address is invalid'. I corrected it but the card was long gone. Oh man was I pissed. I know I entered my address correctly, but somehow Apple went back through the depths of time and pulled the information from like my itunes account on my ipod in the 2000s sometime (it also picked a very old email address). Welp that's my apple pay story.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Gadfly posted:

Why would you need 4K textures if you're rendering at 1440p? Is it super sampling 4K? But then I don't think think there would be a big performance increase.

DLSS doesn't upscale textures, which would require "creating detail" in a way it's not designed to do, it uses the textures of the target output.

Nvidia talk on DLSS:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Gadfly posted:

DLSS doesn't invent extra details, it works by reconstructing details from a sparse set of samples over time, so those samples need to have all the details you want to be present in the output

That means when you render the 1440p input you treat each pixel as a smaller sample than it really is, corresponding to the size of a 4K pixel, so it samples the same textures that a native 4K render would

I hope that made sense, it's tricky to explain

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks Some Goon and repiv, I understand it now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Also that does mean rendering 1440p for DLSS is slightly more expensive than rendering 1440p native, because adjacent pixels don't sample adjacent texels, they "skip" across the texture which is harder on the cache

That principle isn't really specific to DLSS, other temporal upscalers like checkerboard rendering do the same thing with their texture sampling

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

It's older and significantly less advanced than DLSS, but I bought a 2019 NVIDIA Shield TV and the "AI Enhanced Upscaling" is seriously impressive. I've used the side by side comparison and it's very noticeable.

I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA releases a HDMI 2.1 Shield with newer upscaling tech

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ty garlic bread

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I loving set up apple pay and I know I entered all of my information correctly, and when the big moment came while I was taking a poo poo and staring at my phone I clicked the apple pay button and it pulled up information from like 12 years ago and was like 'this shipping address is invalid'. I corrected it but the card was long gone. Oh man was I pissed. I know I entered my address correctly, but somehow Apple went back through the depths of time and pulled the information from like my itunes account on my ipod in the 2000s sometime (it also picked a very old email address). Welp that's my apple pay story.

I had a similar problem, but thankfully I discovered it when I did a dry run purchase earlier in the week. It seems like it's based on the address stored on your own contact in your contacts list which in my case had multiple old home and work addresses. I believe the billing address is stored in the Apple Wallet settings itself alongside the card. You can get it all fixed up and do a test purchase (without double clicking the side button to actually have it go through) to ensure that the correct addresses are set up. I know this doesn't help you retroactively but hopefully you get it on the next go-round.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Managed to grab another Zotac 3080 for my friend who works nights and thus has basically no chance of ever winning the drop game. NVidia Snatcher didn't pop up, but the Discord bots did. The PayPal method works--and if you can't check out fast enough to get a card, LEAVE IT IN YOUR CART. That way the next drop you can go straight to checking out and are much more likely to have success.

e; don't forget to register your Zotac cards. You have 30 days to do so or you only get a 2 year warranty. https://www.zotac.com/us/support#product

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

BurritoJustice posted:

It's older and significantly less advanced than DLSS, but I bought a 2019 NVIDIA Shield TV and the "AI Enhanced Upscaling" is seriously impressive. I've used the side by side comparison and it's very noticeable.

I wouldn't be surprised if NVIDIA releases a HDMI 2.1 Shield with newer upscaling tech

I am hopeful for an even beefier Shield when the Switch revision comes out, but Ampere supply has been... well, and I don't know how that ties into Tegra development, if at all. Almost bought the 2019 Shield Pro last week but opted for a Chromecast with Google TV instead for our needs. HDMI 2.1 on a new Shield would be great for all these Android ports of PC classics that keep popping up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bloodplay it again posted:

I am hopeful for an even beefier Shield when the Switch revision comes out, but Ampere supply has been... well, and I don't know how that ties into Tegra development, if at all.

I'd laugh if the reported NVidia reservation of more TSMC space turned out to be so they could produce a mobile SoC for Nintendo there, given the presumed power efficiency lead they have over Samsung.

But, yeah, who knows how portable something like DLSS would be to Tegra. HDMI 2.1 would presumable be comparatively easy, and mostly end up being a BOM question, I'd think.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:argh: where's my card jensen :argh:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The 3080ti is back! It's even better than it was last time! https://videocardz.com/newz/kopite7kimi-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-rumored-to-feature-10496-cuda-cores-and-20gb-gddr6x-memory

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

With all those cancelled SKUs it looks to me like the odds of a Super refresh are pretty high.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Bloopsy posted:

I have an i5-7600k, 1060 6gb, and 32gb ram. Im really hoping I can squeeze 1-2 more years out of the cpu/board with a better video card. What would be the best fit for 1440 gaming at high to ultra (if that's even possible given the cpu)? My budget prohibits me from upgrading the whole setup but now that I have a 4k monitor I want to get as much out of it as I can while putting money aside for the future build.

Sadly your CPU being only 4 threads will probably hold you back. Right now the best fit for that would be an RTX 3070, if you could find one. Your system would be quite CPU-limited, though. I would probably wait a bit for newer lower end cards like the 3060 ti and whatever AMD comes up with.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Seems like if you haven’t gotten a card yet, you should wait till we hear more about the Ti.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How many KS backers does it take to unlock the 3090Ti

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol nvidia is shook, the 3080ti is almost a discounted 3090 now

if they use faster g6x on the 3080ti to offset the narrower bus it might literally be a discount 3090

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I honestly would've preferred the rumored 3080Ti to stay a 12GB card over being 20GB. That makes me think the floor is going to be ~$1299 MSRP, whereas I think they could've gotten away with $999 again with a 12GB card.

And if you're spending $1299 for a goddamned GPU, you're likely not going to quibble over $200 for an extra 4GB of questionably-valuable frame buffer.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

I keep hearing good things about this. Does it work on any video played through the Shield, or specific apps? Do you reckon it's worth upgrading from a previous gen Shield TV?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

it dont matter posted:

I keep hearing good things about this. Does it work on any video played through the Shield, or specific apps? Do you reckon it's worth upgrading from a previous gen Shield TV?

It really is impressive, but unless you're watching a lot of upscaled content, I don't know if it's worth upgrading for. I believe it's just for video, and obviously for things that are at your screen's native res.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

it dont matter posted:

It works on anything played through it, as far as I can tell, as long as it's below the resolution of your TV. I kinda wish it could run on 4K content as well as a final filter. They recently added support for it even during Gamestream/Now, which means I can run 1080p from my computer for better frames.

They also added a "match framerate" option that, while not dynamic, will allow it to set your TV to 24hz and 50/60Hz depending on content.

Whether it's worth it depends on how much 1080p/720p content you're watching on your TV. I've mostly been watching native 4K services, but this last week I've been using streaming services that max out at 1080p and it's a very nice upgrade.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

BurritoJustice posted:

They recently added support for it even during Gamestream/Now, which means I can run 1080p from my computer for better frames.

This is cool, I have one arriving today mainly to use with Gamestream

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i have a shield and can't see a difference for >=1080P content. i can't imagine there're people out there regularly watching sub-HD content these days.
it's a neat idea plus it has a demo feature where it'll show the upscaled and original version of whatever you're currently watching.
that being said, i wouldn't buy a shield for the feature.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-and-rtx-3050-ti-rumored-to-feature-ga106-gpu

lmbo now we're up to leaks of an RTX 3060 (different from the 3060Ti), and of an RTX 3050Ti

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-and-rtx-3050-ti-rumored-to-feature-ga106-gpu

lmbo now we're up to leaks of an RTX 3060 (different from the 3060Ti), and of an RTX 3050Ti

Imagine these lower performance and parts would hopefully also get used in laptop Max-Q design for 2021.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

gradenko_2000 posted:

These lower end SKUs were always going to happen tho right? Now or in a couple months time they were never going to leave out the bottom end.

Though I guess they never made a 2050, but the 1050 is so popular that it wouldn’t make sense to completely ignore that segment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AirRaid posted:

These lower end SKUs were always going to happen tho right? Now or in a couple months time they were never going to leave out the bottom end.

Though I guess they never made a 2050, but the 1050 is so popular that it wouldn’t make sense to completely ignore that segment.

yeah my post was just a little tongue-in-cheek because yes it makes sense that we'd eventually see 3060s and 3050s, and a target of Q1 2021 is pretty reasonable - it's just funny that we're seeing all these new models of Ampere cards when lots of people are still in F5 mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Yeah but usually not so many ti cards. They're probably also bringing everything into one numbering scheme I'd bet.