Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
haha I've got one of those homeplug things which doubles as a wifi point at the back of my house. It's currently called FBI_Surveillance_van but I think I am stealing that, I like the added subtlety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.
The “Flowers By Irene” was too subtle for my wife - she said she didn’t get it even after I explained it to her :eng99:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I set my phone hotspot to iphone [VIRUS DETECTED]. Initially I thought it was funny then I had about 10 different family members freak out that there phones got "hacked".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I set my phone hotspot to iphone [VIRUS DETECTED]. Initially I thought it was funny then I had about 10 different family members freak out that there phones got "hacked".

At least in my family poo poo like this is a great chance to educate them. Ofc, that counts on them being able to laugh at themselves for the initial freak out

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Long ago, I saw this hotspot at work:

Currently, I can see an access point named "The Airplane Fart Bandit" from the office. Occasionally see some variant of the FBI Surveillance Van.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If anyone happens to be near Connolly Station in Dublin take a look around there. Someone has "Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wifi" there.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I finally found an image of my favorite set of apartment wifi SSIDs ever :allears:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Beautiful :allears:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arquinsiel posted:

If anyone happens to be near Connolly Station in Dublin take a look around there. Someone has "Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wifi" there.

This is pretty common.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm BigBootyJudy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I'm BigBootyJudy

Ahem, that's Bigbooté

BIG-BOO-TAY!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm overdue to watch that movie again. If for nothing else besides the end credits.

My TL messaged me the other day "We're bringing <person> onto the team as an associate, and I'd like for you guys to mentor him"
Me: Cool, what do you want me to have him focus on?
TL: Anything you don't want to do
Me: So anything not directly pertaining to the IBM gear?
TL: Sure.

/winning

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What are the most unfortunate/fantastic first-initial-plus-last-name corporate email address format victims you've all run into? I thought T. Watson was the best I'd seen, but today I was corresponding with an S. Kincannon.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Cathy Um was a fun one :allears:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

In those cases we have an unwritten policy of adding middle initial or reversing the order in the SMTP address so that it isn't like that.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Back in the day we had a standard of first initial + first 3 letters of your last name.

Then someone with a name like Bashir al-Sairafi came along and nearly ended up with bals@company.biz.ru

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Didn't someone in this thread have a c-word email a while back?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Entropic posted:

What are the most unfortunate/fantastic first-initial-plus-last-name corporate email address format victims you've all run into? I thought T. Watson was the best I'd seen, but today I was corresponding with an S. Kincannon.

abutt

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

:hf: abooby

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Entropic posted:

We use initials. One of my coworkers is DTF@companyname. And we apparently had an employee whose initials were JEW. There was some discussion with our European head office about why that might be an issue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

Due to being unpopular and IT getting creative with the username rules for email addresses someone I used to know ended up with the username "lynchme". A "lynchm" already existed in the system, so she was stuck with it.
Since I've already posted about it here...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

orange juche posted:

In those cases we have an unwritten policy of adding middle initial or reversing the order in the SMTP address so that it isn't like that.

Our written policy was to move to the next naming convention in the list if the initial one was something potentially offensive. So in that case, she became cathy.um@contoso.com

Our naming conventions list was very, very long. Eventually, you hire enough Abishek Kumars that you run out of potential emails for them.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I used to hang around with a self-styled genius who was convinced that someone was wardriving his router. Despite living in the sticks, on a virtually unused road, in a house that was so much of a Faraday cage I had to go outside to get my texts. I think Rogers gave him a flaky router; I know he was an idiot.

Ended up changing his SSID to 'CSIS Listening Post'. He stopped complaining.

And thanks to this thread, the 5G radio I don't use is now 'COVID-19 5G Deployment Apparatus'

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

RFC2324 posted:

Had a coworker realize the temporary password the system generated and she just emailed out started with that about 2 seconds after hitting send.

:aaa: "Oh poo poo! Should I say something?!"

:yarr: "...Maybe they won't notice, but take a screenshot of the program giving you that password just in case it becomes A Thing." (It happened to still be up.)

Nothing ever came of it, but after that everyone in the dept gives a quick scan of the temp passwords to make sure the RNG didn't decide to swear again.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Cloudfront generates random strings for your distribution ID/subdomain. I ended up with something like 7sogay3.cloudfront.net. Distribution gay, so what. I figured the chances of someone doing a dig on our domain and seeing the CNAME were slim, but I recreated it anyway.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Our email address scheme is firstinitiallastname@, so a few years ago a new hire would have been igay@, I advised HR and they agreed we should go with firstname.lastname@

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Guy Axlerod posted:

Cloudfront generates random strings for your distribution ID/subdomain. I ended up with something like 7sogay3.cloudfront.net. Distribution gay, so what. I figured the chances of someone doing a dig on our domain and seeing the CNAME were slim, but I recreated it anyway.
I would not bet against your domains having Fierce run against them on a daily basis.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RFC2324 posted:

One of my friends was khunt

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

we use the jsmith format but we made an exception for a german guy named Dietrich Suck. ok that wasn’t his first name but the story is the same

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My last but one employer had someone with the login ID "poologs". That one always made me giggle because it's so childish.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is there any reason not to just go with firstname.lastname? Why do people come up with these convoluted abbreviation schemes?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there any reason not to just go with firstname.lastname? Why do people come up with these convoluted abbreviation schemes?

Trying to unify usernames across applications where some have LOGIN defined as a VARCHAR16 or smaller

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We have one tool that refuses to play nice with dots in usernames. But only when you authenticate through TACACS. It makes so little sense to me that I feel like I'm misremembering the email from our security team who was handling it.

Personally I just like the shorter username since I have to log into so much poo poo every day. My bigger problem is that we have two different TACACS servers for different networks due to acquisitions and they each use a use different naming convention. I can't for the life of me remember which one is which. Work is being done to migrate them into one but it's slow going.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Usernames I can understand, especially if you have to deal with lovely old systems, but people were talking about email addresses.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kurieg posted:

Trying to unify usernames across applications where some have LOGIN defined as a VARCHAR16 or smaller

We have some other system thrown in the mix

Bmorales@ for email

Bobmoral for domain user

Bm37383 for EMR

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Jaded Burnout posted:

I worked at a place where the IT support app had a fixed limit of 50 characters for the email address field on the login page. My email address was more than 50 characters. Of course I couldn't open a ticket because I couldn't log in.. They "fixed" it by giving me an email alias.

Several years later I was told it had been fixed properly. They'd raised the limit to 100 characters.

long.name@long-suborg.long-org.tld pushed me over that. I still prefer that pattern, though.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Username shortening is weird and occasionally hilarious, that's why my company has a poor sod with the email "belieber@"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We use first.last for e-mail, but 8 characters for username. The IDs are autogenerated and the team responsible for approving rarely notices funny/embarassing combinations, so we come across them fairly often.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Xerox was like that iirc, probably still is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

our username standard is firstname initial of the last name. of course this doesn't regularly cause conflicts how could it.