Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I take that as him saying it was off script, not a shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Long story short, a really bad match between Buff & Booker T that killed the momentum of WCW

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/7/2/3115661/on-this-date-in-wwf-wcw-history-the-infamous-tacoma-raw

Why on earth DID they think Buff was the guy to decide was the guy to be the top heel of a new brand? Why not Lance?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

Why on earth DID they think Buff was the guy to decide was the guy to be the top heel of a new brand? Why not Lance?

At the time, Buff was, and I quote, "The stuff."

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Well, because Buff Bagwell as the top heel might work, unlike Lance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Well, because Buff Bagwell as the top heel might work, unlike Lance.

Buff got his mom to write him a sick note and his finisher is letting the other guy suplex him. I've literally never understood why he was pushed ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

dsriggs posted:

Made all the more funny by the fact that if they’d have just waited one more week to re-introduce WCW, it would’ve been in Atlanta & would’ve guaranteed a much better reaction.

It really wouldn't have, the Atlanta fans weren't going to be WCW fans, they were going to be WWF fans who bought a ticket for a WWF show.

Also here is Part 2 of the Pelle interview. You really owe it to yourself to listen to both if you were into ROH from 2005-2010.

https://twitter.com/MonumentalPod/status/1324102956925493249

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 4, 2020

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Gaz-L posted:

Buff got his mom to write him a sick note and his finisher is letting the other guy suplex him. I've literally never understood why he was pushed ever.

Dude was a natural heel, thats why

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

buff was perfectly fine as a wrestler but also massively unprofessional

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

oh but seriously I posted:

buff was perfectly fine as a wrestler but also massively unprofessional
He had also stopped wrestling by the time he made that appearance and despite the NWO stuff he was a midcarder for life who was supposed to represent the best of WCW.

It'd be like if WWE folded today, NJPW bought them out, and in three months the NJPW showcase of WWE was Kevin Steen vs Elias

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

his hat was cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

Also Vince did this bizarre segment when he initially accounced he'd purchased WCW, where he wanted to poll the fans about WCW talent. Except instead of asking the crowd to cheer or boo when he said a name to figure out how over they were, he told them to react to him raising or lowering his thumb AFTER he said the name. Half the crowd seemed to get this, half didn't, and I think Buff Bagwell's name got a huge cheer from the crowd which made Vince assume he was really over?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maybe the crowd was full of ladies, I hear they just can't get enough of The Stuff.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I don't get it. They love Booker T... They love Goldberg...One kid seems to LOVE the Stuff!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Jerusalem posted:

Also Vince did this bizarre segment when he initially accounced he'd purchased WCW, where he wanted to poll the fans about WCW talent. Except instead of asking the crowd to cheer or boo when he said a name to figure out how over they were, he told them to react to him raising or lowering his thumb AFTER he said the name. Half the crowd seemed to get this, half didn't, and I think Buff Bagwell's name got a huge cheer from the crowd which made Vince assume he was really over?

so Cleveland is responsible for the invasion tanking. why not?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
When I watched those retro Nitros, babyface Buff was the thing I hated the most.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

It really wouldn't have, the Atlanta fans weren't going to be WCW fans, they were going to be WWF fans who bought a ticket for a WWF show.

Also here is Part 2 of the Pelle interview. You really owe it to yourself to listen to both if you were into ROH from 2005-2010.

https://twitter.com/MonumentalPod/status/1324102956925493249

I love the Pick 6 Series and Matches with Too Many Spots That Go Too Long.

But seriously though I am going to listen to it.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gaz-L posted:

Jerusalem posted:

The audience reaction to his name was bizarre - some people thought it was just that he was so not WWF, and an established name. Buff Bagwell was a name for many years, Lance Storm debuted 9 months before the company folded.

I highly doubt WWF were paying attention to WCW enough (especially WCW gossip) to know about how Buff and Lex had the match against O'Haire and Palumbo which sucked where they said "that's all we could get from them"; that led to Lance and Mike Awesome having 2 great matches for 2 weeks to show the office that it wasn't that O'Haire and Palumbo sucked. But Buff was an okay midcarder who occasionally was really good, but could be poo poo, and by that stage of his career was generally poo poo.

Not getting Goldberg, and having Goldberg beat Steve Austin in the main event of the Invasion PPV was indeed probably the biggest mistake. Or getting loving Scott Steiner to be the main heel.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I wasn't a wrestling fan at the time but when you look over the coverage from the time I don't think Buff Bagwell was looked at as being some uniquely terrible choice as someone to bring in from the perspective of not being over: I think people knew that the... unique way in which his mother was very involved in his career would be a barrier as would him allegedly not being the best person behind the scenes but not in terms of anything fan facing.

I don't know if they'd have ever gotten past the fact that WCW fans were WCW fans for a reason and the WWF was not the sort of wrestling that they wanted: and vice versa. The only way it could have worked out would have been if they could have kept the two separate from the acquisition and kept a WCW Product going that would keep that audience but they wouldn't have done that: we know that McMahon likes to interfere and I think an audience that was already a bit cynical would have left eventually if it became a WWF product under the WCW name. We'll see how it holds up long term but an idea of what I'm talking about is what is happening with NOAH and DDT at the moment: the two are owned by the same company but clearly have their own separate identities and they are keeping them separate: while merging the two promotions would only seek in alienating at least one of the fanbases if not both.

The worst way to go about it was to put two people that weren't established stars in WWF (I think a Flair or someone might have helped them a little bit) into a WCW branded match on Raw without any build since you were only ever going to get WWF fans to react negative to it. Eventually you ended up in the same place you'd have ended up anyway long term without making anything like as much money as they could have: just that the brands they used were Raw and Smackdown and not WWF and WCW.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

oh but seriously I posted:

his hat was cool

no

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/JimValley/status/1324495013670051840

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

YEAH JIM

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

You could never change the channel during a Buff and Steiner promo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hope they ask him about the invoice

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1324534508465520642

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Weird question, but I'm wanting to listen to B&V reviewing the nitro with the debut of "Seven". Weirdly online people list the debut as 9 November 1999 and B&V reviewed the 8th November 1999 Nitro?

Can someone link me to the Observer download page for the show where they review Seven debut?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Wazzu posted:

Can someone link me to the Observer download page for the show where they review Seven debut?

https://www.f4wonline.com/bryan-and-vinny-show/bvc-retro-raw-and-nitro-19-years-ago-week-269641

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Khan brings up good points about Gedo's unnecessary humiliation of Tanahashi and Ibushi during the covid era in that interview.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he wants that WON best booker award

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Super No Vacancy posted:

he wants that WON best booker award

Considering how badly Gedo hosed up the covid era he's a shoo-in. Main Event Yujiro will never be washed away.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gedo is really lucky he was able to smuggle everyone into the country.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it is also funny to me that tony still watches new japan

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

it is also funny to me that tony still watches new japan

Why wouldn't he?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

because he is on questionable terms with them and runs a wrestling promotion on top of his roles in two other major sports leagues

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Yea but he's still a fan and has been fan for much longer than promoter. Vince is probably the only promoter who I believe doesn't watch content outside his promotion.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

plenty of indie promoters dont watch other wrestling. hell a lot of wrestlers dont watch wrestling. the calculus changes when you spend a lot of time on something as your job

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Super No Vacancy posted:

plenty of indie promoters dont watch other wrestling. hell a lot of wrestlers dont watch wrestling. the calculus changes when you spend a lot of time on something as your job

this is why they are bad promoters op

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Hey, I think I forgot to post in this thread all week!

First, John Pollock had me as a guest in his The POST Interview series at POST Wrestling to talk about my Business Insider investigation into the WWE ring boys molestation scandal:
https://twitter.com/POSTwrestling/status/1323377402878267392
On Between The Sheets, Kris and I were joined by Joe Sposto to talk 1995, including the ECW Arena fire incident with Joe's firsthand memories.
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1323163306283118603
Also in the main free Between The Sheets feed, we put up our Patreon special from last year about Sid's run as Sid Justice, starting with the weird end of his initial WCW run and ending with his slightly less weird initial WWF run:
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1324513790080274432
And on the Patreon proper, we put up part four (of six, probably?) in our ECW on TNN series, which is another awesome show in a pretty awesome series of them: https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1322755485217492992

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you're working on the creative end of things and you aren't paying attention to what your competition is doing, you are not doing your job.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Couple of Observer Radios behind, but I got a good laugh out of:

Bryan: So you've just been talking to your weights and to yourself?
Dave: Oh come on now, I really don't talk to... myself.

Jim throwing in that final line is loving incredible, goddamn :lol:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just so incredibly happy for jim. real big mood lifter there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

HidaO-Win posted:

Listened to Miro on the Jericho pod today,

Bunch of other funny stories, he seems quite annoyed about how everyone leaks to the dirt sheets

Hahahahaha dude almost every one of your new bosses is a WON source.