Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I love how prescient/accurate the shots of Bert turning off his TV to ignore the reality of the election (or the office turning theirs off to hang onto the feeling of Nixon winning) in "Nixon vs. Kennedy" is right now in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It never should've been this close

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

sebmojo posted:

the Red Mowing

If that moment gets spoiled for you, I think your enjoyment of the show is ruined, imo.

To bring this back to "Nixon vs. Kennedy": Cosgrove chasing Allison at the office party loving creeps me out and gives me an awful horror-like feeling... *cough*

Also, their party punch is probably the worst punch of all time, lol.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 4, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm surprised it made the cut honestly

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It's filmed well, like most of the show is.

Both the scenes in question are just insidious enough

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Something about the scene where Sally walks in on Don cheating on Megan felt incredibly shocking and raw. It's still great on rewatch, but that's one of those things I definitely think experiencing "new" the first time is important for

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

It never should've been this close

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don crumbling after Pete walks out of the room is so good, Hamm really nails it. I can't stop thinking about how well he sells quiet, panicked horror in that scene.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jon Hamms mastery of body language is incredibly impressive. How he goes from cool calm and collected don draper to scared shitless out of his element dick Whitman when he arrives in Korea is fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have absolutely no issue with scrolling past spoiler tags, and definitely prefer that to learning about things before I get to see them. :)

The Klowner posted:

Don crumbling after Pete walks out of the room is so good, Hamm really nails it. I can't stop thinking about how well he sells quiet, panicked horror in that scene.

I love that too, that he managed to keep his composure so well while Pete is in the room is impressive, but acting wise that rapid blinking and dawning horror that,"Oh my God I'm hosed... by PETE CAMPBELL!?!" is handled so well.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Jon Hamm is a great actor who had the misfortune of going up against Bryan Cranston for best actor in a drama again and again at the Emmys. Normally he probably would have won several. What can you do? I'm not a huge fan of Breaking Bad, but Cranston was incredible.

It does kind of amaze me that no one else won an acting Emmy for Mad Men. Elisabeth Moss and Vincent Kartheiser in particular are also excellent. But so is everyone, including January Jones, who sometimes gets singled out as weaker than the other major players. I found I appreciated her performance much more on rewatch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

January Jones is great, and it still blows my mind how she goes from a single appearance at the very tail end of the pilot to such a large role in the second episode and just immediately comes across as a fully realized person whose story is immediately compelling.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

January Jones is great, and it still blows my mind how she goes from a single appearance at the very tail end of the pilot to such a large role in the second episode and just immediately comes across as a fully realized person whose story is immediately compelling.

She's an actress who's extremely talented but has gotten an absolute river of poo poo for being a "bitch" because of that role same as Anna Gunn.

Here's the greatest pairing of Don and Betty with the actors just having fun being themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-IbKB5dlo&t=73s

When you see Jon Hamm in that video it's almost like he was born to be a comedic actor and being a serious drama actor is just his side gig.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 5, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly don't think she's a great actor but she's absolutely perfectly cast. Everyone is. Whoever had the final say in casting deserves a bonus, sopranos, breaking bad, deadwood, they all had a few weak links. Every single mad men actor is loving bringing it every scene

Suzanne Farrel that's the only weak actor

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 5, 2020

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Gaius Marius posted:

I honestly don't think she's a great actor but she's absolutely perfectly cast. Everyone is. Whoever had the final say in casting deserves a bonus, sopranos, breaking bad, deadwood, they all had a few weak links. Every single mad men actor is loving bringing it every scene

Matthew Weiner's son that played Glen was pretty terrible, but they clearly figured that out early enough, and they also struck gold with Kiernan Shipka.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

potee posted:

Matthew Weiner's son that played Glen was pretty terrible, but they clearly figured that out early enough, and they also struck gold with Kiernan Shipka.

Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhh. They we're drat lucky with shipka she grew into such a fine actress. Of only glenn and the five bobbies could say the same

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

potee posted:

It also took a while to find the right bobby

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
January Jones delivers a flat line read from time to time but she also has one of my favorite "ACTING!" moments in the entire series; it's a single scene, it's an entirely physical performance, and every time I watch it I'm like "drat, that's good" all over again.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

It also took a while to find the right bobby

I honestly think the Bobby who stayed with the show the longest is the worst actor of the bunch. But at least they found one who would stick around!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

potee posted:

All of these x100

also I really hope Jerusalem didn't google Suzanne Farel. I don't want to be the spoiler police but come on! X(

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 5, 2020

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah my bad I'm pretty trashed cause of this election. I don't think he's gonna be googling random names though

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gaius Marius posted:

That spoiler is inaccurate tho because she's loving great in everything else she's in. There was a lot of behind the scenes drama surrounding her that I'm not sure I buy into the accusations leveled against her and knowing what we know now about Weiner.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Xealot posted:

Like, I remember seeing episode descriptions for it that just say, "Don has a serious conversation with Betty."

Back when it originally aired on AMC, pretty much every "On the next Mad Men" preview was like this.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

MightyJoe36 posted:

Back when it originally aired on AMC, pretty much every "On the next Mad Men" preview was like this.

My favorite Episode Description is "Peggy helps Ginsberg with a problem" for the episode where ginsberg has his breakdown claiming computers are making people gay so him and peggy need to reproduce

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

MightyJoe36 posted:

That was a deliberate Matt Weiner troll move, the network demanded they provide previews but he kept imposing restrictions on the editing team - "You can't show anything past the first half of the episode," "You can only use the first scene of the the A plot," "Nothing with the guest star" etc. That's why by the last few seasons it was just clips of characters asking monosyllabic questions, making small talk and innocuous action/establishing shots (Don thumbing through paperwork, Betty closing a cabinet in the kitchen, Peggy thumbing through paperwork, etc.)

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

That was a deliberate Matt Weiner troll move, the network demanded they provide previews but he kept imposing restrictions on the editing team - "You can't show anything past the first half of the episode," "You can only use the first scene of the the A plot," "Nothing with the guest star" etc. That's why by the last few seasons it was just clips of characters asking monosyllabic questions, making small talk and innocuous action/establishing shots (Don thumbing through paperwork, Betty closing a cabinet in the kitchen, Peggy thumbing through paperwork, etc.)

I love those, they became hypnotic and dreamy at a certain point.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JethroMcB posted:

That's the correct way to do a preview imo. Otherwise you're just giving too much away and you cheapen the show as a whole

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Klowner posted:

That's the correct way to do a preview imo. Otherwise you're just giving too much away and you cheapen the show as a whole

I agree.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I remember an AV Club review of a Mad Men episode that ended with them summarizing the preview for the next episode. "Next week on Mad Men: Several people open or close doors!"

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I decided to watch the next episode ahead of J's write up. Normally I've been watching the episode after reading their summary but I decided to switch it up to see how it affects my viewing experience

What a hell of an episode to do that for, I completely forgot some of the really important things that happen in "The Wheel." I'm very interested to see J's thoughts on Peggy's and Betty's plotlines in particular

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MightyJoe36 posted:

I loved the previews. After a while, I think the editors were just having fun, and purposefully made them as absurd and meaningless as possible. "*Pete makes a weird face" Peggy: Get out! Bert: I don't see the point of all this... *door slams* Next time, on AMC's Mad Men!"

I don't find January Jones to be that impressive in anything else I've seen her in, but she's insanely pitch-perfect for Betty. If an interview I read is to be believed, that's by-design. She originally auditioned for Peggy, and apparently Matt Weiner liked her so much, he invented Betty Draper for her.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The previews and the tv guide descriptions were the best thing about watching it when it aired. I swear the season six finales episode description was just "don has a problem".

I sure don't miss all the lovely commercials. I've got the commercial with Christina hendricks hocking booze at me burned into my brain.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

I swear the season six finales episode description was just "don has a problem".

Yes.

I personally enjoyed "Joan goes to the beach."

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Someone has uploaded a video with that stuff from Season 5, and I honestly can't tell if these were the real ones or just self-edited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBlqViCuC2Q

So, somehow spoilers for season 5, yet also, not? so people who don't want spoilers, don't click that.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Can you link for us?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s embedded in the post?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Missed it somehow, thanks!

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

January Jones delivers a flat line read from time to time but she also has one of my favorite "ACTING!" moments in the entire series; it's a single scene, it's an entirely physical performance, and every time I watch it I'm like "drat, that's good" all over again.

It's when she breaks the chair in A Night to Remember, isn't it? I love season 2. It's the most underrated season IMO. That's one of the brilliant moments that makes me love it so much.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
She's kinda underrated, especially on your second watch of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

KellHound posted:

My favorite Episode Description is "Peggy helps Ginsberg with a problem" for the episode where ginsberg has his breakdown claiming computers are making people gay so him and peggy need to reproduce
I don't know how I feel about his exit. He was always a bit of an oddball but cutting of his nipple and giving it to peggy? Seemed like it should have been a nightmare sequence.