Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The game as is has two big problems right now imo. Once you realize what they are some of the spook factor of the game is just gone.

1. Read this or don't, you have been warned. It's not crucial to know. Jinn, Revenant and Wraiths are the only three ghosts I am genuinely scared being hunted by. Why? Because every other ghost type can be outrun by the player in a straight line. Hell the Wraith is only dangerous because it can just not give a poo poo about walls, it's still only as fast as the player. This makes it essentially impossible to die on High School and Asylum if you know the ghost type or have eliminated those three ghost types and it's still possible to do donuts in some of the roadhouses and farm houses in certain rooms. If every ghost type is changed to be slightly faster than the player hunts will upgrade back to terrifying instead of just stressful for me.

2. Draw distance. I hate how short it is, of all the things in this game this is the most immersion breaking aspect for me. It's especially noticeable on the big maps and is glaringly bad on high school on one of the upper floor hallway cameras. I assume the draw distance is as such for the VR users but give me an option to turn it up or something. Especially since you can get far enough away from the ghost when it hunts to not be able to hear it moving around because draw distance is culling the noises and its model.

Game is still hella fun and spooky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

The game as is has two big problems right now imo. Once you realize what they are some of the spook factor of the game is just gone.

1. Read this or don't, you have been warned. It's not crucial to know. Jinn, Revenant and Wraiths are the only three ghosts I am genuinely scared being hunted by. Why? Because every other ghost type can be outrun by the player in a straight line. Hell the Wraith is only dangerous because it can just not give a poo poo about walls, it's still only as fast as the player. This makes it essentially impossible to die on High School and Asylum if you know the ghost type or have eliminated those three ghost types and it's still possible to do donuts in some of the roadhouses and farm houses in certain rooms. If every ghost type is changed to be slightly faster than the player hunts will upgrade back to terrifying instead of just stressful for me.

2. Draw distance. I hate how short it is, of all the things in this game this is the most immersion breaking aspect for me. It's especially noticeable on the big maps and is glaringly bad on high school on one of the upper floor hallway cameras. I assume the draw distance is as such for the VR users but give me an option to turn it up or something. Especially since you can get far enough away from the ghost when it hunts to not be able to hear it moving around because draw distance is culling the noises and its model.

Game is still hella fun and spooky.

I realized the first point a while back and have been enjoying the game more for the control it gives me. There's still plenty of challenge when you have three teammates flopping around missing all the evidence to the point that you have to go solo investigate to actually get anything, or when you want to push the limits to get a ghost photo. And even with the best laid escape plans, I've had a few wraiths that randomly popped through my door on the complete opposite side of the house and floor from the ghost room. On a related note, I've started taking the spirit box in my third slot every first lap through the house because it's so much easier to walk in and get a reaction before the others start milling around the room doing nothing.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I've been having fun lately playing "Competitive Mode", where we don't say what evidence we've gotten and each person has to try to identify the ghost for themselves. Turns out I am not the best among my friends at getting evidence fast. I did, however, have a really good one where the friend and I played a Professional high school and we took so long trying to find the room and the evidence that we started getting chain-hunted by the ghost. We mutually decided to truce it out and work together before either one of us got killed.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mongoose posted:

I realized the first point a while back and have been enjoying the game more for the control it gives me. There's still plenty of challenge when you have three teammates flopping around missing all the evidence to the point that you have to go solo investigate to actually get anything, or when you want to push the limits to get a ghost photo. And even with the best laid escape plans, I've had a few wraiths that randomly popped through my door on the complete opposite side of the house and floor from the ghost room.

I can actually understand this because I sort of felt the same way. While it does feel diminishing to the actual horror itself, knowing you have that bit of control makes it easier to go in to try and provoke the ghost to get pictures or get a hunt objective. Even knowing it the game is still spooky regardless, it just becomes manageably spooky. Unless it's a Revenant, Jinn or Wraith. Then it's all hands on "gently caress this poo poo I'm out".

Cobbsprite posted:

I've been having fun lately playing "Competitive Mode", where we don't say what evidence we've gotten and each person has to try to identify the ghost for themselves. Turns out I am not the best among my friends at getting evidence fast. I did, however, have a really good one where the friend and I played a Professional high school and we took so long trying to find the room and the evidence that we started getting chain-hunted by the ghost. We mutually decided to truce it out and work together before either one of us got killed.

This actually sounds pretty interesting, I might propose this to some goons to try out. Do you have people going out of their way to hide the ghost writing book if it's been written in?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

This actually sounds pretty interesting, I might propose this to some goons to try out. Do you have people going out of their way to hide the ghost writing book if it's been written in?

Sometimes, but having two books makes that harder to do. Plus if one type of evidence is suddenly missing, that does say a LITTLE bit.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cobbsprite posted:

Sometimes, but having two books makes that harder to do. Plus if one type of evidence is suddenly missing, that does say a LITTLE bit.

Fair. Has your group ever done a limited evidence gathering tool version or just brought everything you could to make sure everyone has a fair shot?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

Fair. Has your group ever done a limited evidence gathering tool version or just brought everything you could to make sure everyone has a fair shot?

It was just two of us from my group trying it on Halloween night, and the other person brought doubles of every identifier. I think she knows what kind of person I am.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

I had a really fun game where a player dropped and we ended up only have 2 flashlights for 3 players. Pro farm house with only a UV light was kinda stressful. :)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: NM

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 3, 2020

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Man, we just had an intermediate High School where the entire front hall was cold, but we could not get anything out of the ghost. No EMF, Temps below ~52f, Spirit Walkie Talkie, Blacklight, Cameras, book, nothing.

I ended up guessing shade when we left after we all went insane and ran out of :catdrugs: , and was right. Just could not get it to do anything other than hunt, and it started everywhere in that hall.

We even walked up and down the halls just shouting it's name. Well I didn't, but both my friends did, and of course right when they got out the doors slammed shut and a hunt started. I just boogied upstairs and never saw her.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bondematt posted:

Man, we just had an intermediate High School where the entire front hall was cold, but we could not get anything out of the ghost. No EMF, Temps below ~52f, Spirit Walkie Talkie, Blacklight, Cameras, book, nothing.

I ended up guessing shade when we left after we all went insane and ran out of :catdrugs: , and was right. Just could not get it to do anything other than hunt, and it started everywhere in that hall.

We even walked up and down the halls just shouting it's name. Well I didn't, but both my friends did, and of course right when they got out the doors slammed shut and a hunt started. I just boogied upstairs and never saw her.

Hall ghosts on the bigger maps are the worst imo. You wander around praying you can find a spot it will respond without having nearly enough sanity to do so. Needs some kind of change on the bigger maps either limiting the ghost to a smaller area of the hall or better detection tools to narrow down its location.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah the larger locations are brutal if the ghost is haunting the hallway. We had a school the other night where we thought it was haunting the first-floor corridor, mostly on the east side, largely because it started a hunt about every minute or so when we were in that hallway. We learned the hard way that game that A) the parabolic mic apparently can pick up the ghost through floors (we think) and B) the ghost can travel up and down the stairs in the high school pretty readily. Turns out the ghost was indeed haunting that general area, but up a floor. Since it was a Professional map we were still getting a shitload of hunts and interactions, but no real evidence since the ghost wasn't really in our area unless it was loving with us. I started to suspect it was up a floor, and said so right before I died. Sure enough, our two remaining ghost hunters booked it to the truck and caught some orbs on the fixed camera pointed down the hallway on the upper floor. Oof.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah the larger locations are brutal if the ghost is haunting the hallway. We had a school the other night where we thought it was haunting the first-floor corridor, mostly on the east side, largely because it started a hunt about every minute or so when we were in that hallway. We learned the hard way that game that A) the parabolic mic apparently can pick up the ghost through floors (we think) and B) the ghost can travel up and down the stairs in the high school pretty readily. Turns out the ghost was indeed haunting that general area, but up a floor. Since it was a Professional map we were still getting a shitload of hunts and interactions, but no real evidence since the ghost wasn't really in our area unless it was loving with us. I started to suspect it was up a floor, and said so right before I died. Sure enough, our two remaining ghost hunters booked it to the truck and caught some orbs on the fixed camera pointed down the hallway on the upper floor. Oof.

This is why it's always worth checking the cams on highschool and asylum. It only works like 1/10 times, but when it does it's glorious.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Evil Kit posted:

Hall ghosts on the bigger maps are the worst imo. You wander around praying you can find a spot it will respond without having nearly enough sanity to do so. Needs some kind of change on the bigger maps either limiting the ghost to a smaller area of the hall or better detection tools to narrow down its location.

The worst part is we thought it couldn't be the hall at first, so we checked every room connected to that hall.

It was such a contrast to the round before where we had a demon who would not stop drunk dialing us. Like seriously, please stop it's really loud and we found your room in less than a minute.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Bondematt posted:

The worst part is we thought it couldn't be the hall at first, so we checked every room connected to that hall.

It was such a contrast to the round before where we had a demon who would not stop drunk dialing us. Like seriously, please stop it's really loud and we found your room in less than a minute.

The school rooms really just need more interactable props, I think. Most everything in the classrooms is static, so ghosts have only the light switch, door, and the telephone to entertain themselves with.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Unhappy Meal posted:

The school rooms really just need more interactable props, I think. Most everything in the classrooms is static, so ghosts have only the light switch, door, and the telephone to entertain themselves with.

To the point where we will put down the ghost writing book, and after the ghost signs our yearbook, it just constantly flips it off the desk and kicks it around the floor.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
https://twitter.com/OhHeyTracyy/status/1322887477137465344

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
this game is fantastic

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New patch went up today, they fixed the hosting so the host always gets control back after a mission ends :toot:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I was going to play last night but then I decided watching the election would be far more terrifying (I was right)

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
first game i decide to do a basic run by myself in the starter house on amateur, walk in with the camera and emf reader, put down the camera, turn around to leave, hear footsteps, and then the door closes immediately and the ghost starts chasing me

wtf game give me a chance I didn't even START

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

so did you hang out outside of the house for 5 minutes psyching yourself up or something because the ghost can gently caress with you but can't actually try and kill you for 300 seconds after the game begins on amateur.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Babe Magnet posted:

so did you hang out outside of the house for 5 minutes psyching yourself up or something because the ghost can gently caress with you but can't actually try and kill you for 300 seconds after the game begins on amateur.

yeah I figured that out later but come on I just walked in and the ghost's immediately fuckin with me
he didn't kill me I just hid in a bathroom and then bailed after a minute, in hindsight it probably wasn't actually hunting me since the lights didn't go out

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Just played a round, one of the objectives was to take a picture of the ghost.

The ghost went into hunt mode and backed me into a corner in the garage and just stared at me for a full minute. I don't know if the ghost chose to spare me or if it was gameplay jank, but it was pretty goddamn crazy.

They got their loving picture.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I dont know whats scarier, seeing a ghost, or hearing the heartbeat sound but NOT seeing the ghost.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Hazdoc posted:

I dont know whats scarier, seeing a ghost, or hearing the heartbeat sound but NOT seeing the ghost.

After having done some single-flashlight challenge runs with folks on Professional High School, I can decidedly say it's worse NOT seeing the ghost. Not knowing where to run when a hunt starts is... unsettling.

https://clips.twitch.tv/PuzzledTallCarabeefDogFace

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hazdoc posted:

yeah I figured that out later but come on I just walked in and the ghost's immediately fuckin with me
he didn't kill me I just hid in a bathroom and then bailed after a minute, in hindsight it probably wasn't actually hunting me since the lights didn't go out

oh yeah the ghost can absolutely gently caress with you, up to even showing itself in order to spook you I believe, but you don't have to worry about being immediately murdered on amateur. Now, if it drains all of your sanity early and you're low when the timer goes up, you may want to be careful lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Babe Magnet posted:

Not even "after the game begins".

You have to open the front door of the house. Which means that all the powergaming nerds refuse to open the door until all the equipment is stacked on it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

dogstile posted:

Not even "after the game begins".

You have to open the front door of the house. Which means that all the powergaming nerds refuse to open the door until all the equipment is stacked on it.

Interesting, I thought it started when you opened the door in the truck, but never verified that. I'm still not gonna bother with moving loving everything to the front door with this new information. I get that powergamers gonna powergame, but I just don't understand the impulse to remove as much fun from the experience in order to play optimally, especially in a game like this where it's 90% experience/atmosphere and money becomes functionally pointless or so easy to get by the time you hit ~level 10-15. The fact that tons of people are self-imposing all kinds of crazy "challenge modes" should be a pretty obvious sign that in no world do you need to optimize your playstyle to advance in this game, as far as that's even a thing.

edit: and yes, to get even a little more specific about the ghost showing up early: it's entirely possible to not only get pretty aggressively spooked by the ghost in the setup period, it's actually possible to hit level 10 activity in that time too. Specifically what can't happen is the ghost can't start a hunt, but it seems like pretty much everything else is on the table. Someone who has dug into the game a little more can probably confirm this, but my understanding from playing a bunch is that unless your flashlight is flickering on and off, it's not a hunt.

Though yeah, it's entirely possible for the ghost to tank your sanity in the setup period and kill you in a hunt as soon as it ends, we've had that happen at least once. Also someone in here said earlier that using a ouija board can shorten the setup time, though I've never even used one so I can't confirm that personally.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 5, 2020

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

MockingQuantum posted:

edit: and yes, to get even a little more specific about the ghost showing up early: it's entirely possible to not only get pretty aggressively spooked by the ghost in the setup period, it's actually possible to hit level 10 activity in that time too. Specifically what can't happen is the ghost can't start a hunt, but it seems like pretty much everything else is on the table. Someone who has dug into the game a little more can probably confirm this, but my understanding from playing a bunch is that unless your flashlight is flickering on and off, it's not a hunt.

Correct, it's not a hunt unless your flashlight (regular or UV), specifically, is flickering. You'll notice in the clip I posted above, the only way we can tell a hunt is happening is because the one person with a flashlight nearby calls it out when it starts--my candle stays lit without flickering during a hunt. Room lights can flicker, the front door can be slammed, and the ghost can chase after you, all outside of a hunt; it just can't lock the outside doors or kill anyone unless it's during a hunt.

Hunts can't happen during the setup time, which starts after opening any outside door to the building. 5 minutes setup time on amateur, 2 minutes on intermediate, no setup time on professional. After the setup time, the ghost has a higher chance to hunt the lower the average party sanity is.

There is a specific ghost type that will immediately end the setup time when someone successfully uses a luigi board. I wanna say phantom maybe? Either way, luigi boards are incredibly fun in this game, and I hope the dev adds more responses.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

There is a specific ghost type that will immediately end the setup time when someone successfully uses a luigi board. I wanna say phantom maybe? Either way, luigi boards are incredibly fun in this game, and I hope the dev adds more responses.

Nah, that's just a chance every time you use the Ouija board. The only ghost with an Ouija board interaction is demon who'll spare you the minor sanity hit per use. (I think you can still get the majority sanity hit, which can happen instead of the lights flickering, or ending setup.)

And as an aside: just to put hunt behavior to bed (until it gets changed): It's a flat chance based on team sanity regardless of anything else. Demons and Mares just push up how soon that chance increases.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 5, 2020

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I had a Professional Street House investigation where the ghost started hunting us ten seconds after we went in. Sure enough, Demon. It was a LONG time before it initiated a second hunt, it must have just been RNG getting lucky, but MAN were we on edge and spooked for the entire rest of that one.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Some fun things about certain ghosts I learned from other goons:

Phantom: whether not implemented properly or bugged, apparently the Phantom ghost type can manifest as a ghost hunter. It picks a model of one of the hunters and appears. Makes falling into the trap of staring at it to drop your sanity quickly much nastier. Also creepy. Apparently an obvious tell is if the ghost hunter isn't holding any equipment out.

Banshee: Apparently one of the ghost types that can hunt during the safety timer! The reason is both simple and difficult to accomplish: the Banshee's target (which apparently it picks right at the start of the match) must enter the Banshee's LoS for 20 seconds. This will trigger it to hunt regardless of safety timer/sanity.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Banshees might be my favorite ghost type, not for any of their spooky shenanigans, but because it's always incredibly fun to figure out who's the target and make them bait the ghost for some sweet pictures.

Juking ghosts is fun.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The first time my group saw a banshee conclusively behave like a banshee, the target was probably our most timid team member, and she was upstairs in the school while the rest of us were downstairs in a room right by the main doors. We had about eight hunts in a row, all starting within a very short time of the last hunt ending. The three of us downstairs booked it to the door after the first hunt, got caught in the little entry hall for a hunt or two (lol at trying to "hide" behind those pillars), then made it out. We got to watch our last person basically hopscotch from room to room trying to make it back to the stairs. She basically booked it from one room to the next and hid whether there was a hunt on or not. Well, it was a good strategy because every time she did it, a hunt started.

We never even figured out what room the ghost was haunting, but based on the way it was behaving it was almost certainly that upstairs corridor, lol.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what this game needs, once/if updates pick up a bit, is Secret Updates like Minecraft used to have every Friday. Just one or two little things the dev doesn't say what they are.

Assuming that there aren't any as of right now, anyway......

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I think it would be cool to add a out of game page where a 5th person could log in and would control the cameras and be able to communicate with everyone. Maybe with a more powerful walkie-talkie where on a hunt a couple words could get through.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Danith posted:

I think it would be cool to add a out of game page where a 5th person could log in and would control the cameras and be able to communicate with everyone. Maybe with a more powerful walkie-talkie where on a hunt a couple words could get through.

I've thought this too, and I think it's actually a decent solution to huge maps like the Asylum. Either let us have a fifth person who only has the camera view, and the meters/map (so you can send the other four players in and still keep an eye on things) or add some items that are basically just little Delvcam monitors, like one that's a map and one that lets you cycle camera views (so you don't feel the pressure to have someone run back to the truck or stay in the truck). It seems like it would be an okay tradeoff, you'd have an item that doesn't directly improve your chances of finding the ghost, but does help you get less lost, and monitor things without burning up like 5 minutes running to the truck and back.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
I seem to have a little trouble with the Spirit Box in VR. Like, on the first job I do in a VR Session it works fine (As in I ask a question, and it goes "nothing detected" if conditions aren't met), but then after a while it just stops responded in later jobs all together, and seems to only "work" at complete random, like in this clip:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SpikyExquisiteBeanPraiseIt

I've already checked my settings and confirmed that doing the voice recognition test works, and that I have the right audio settings. Is this a known bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Goodguy3 posted:

I seem to have a little trouble with the Spirit Box in VR. Like, on the first job I do in a VR Session it works fine (As in I ask a question, and it goes "nothing detected" if conditions aren't met), but then after a while it just stops responded in later jobs all together, and seems to only "work" at complete random, like in this clip:
https://clips.twitch.tv/SpikyExquisiteBeanPraiseIt

I've already checked my settings and confirmed that doing the voice recognition test works, and that I have the right audio settings. Is this a known bug?

I have the same problem in non-VR, the Spirit Box works fine for the first job and then stops after that. The Trello has 'Voice recognition stops working if you tab out' as a known bug, I think it's related to that.