Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

So going by Griffith's "give me wings", Godhands (and possibly Apostles in general) have a say in what they look like after ascension. So I really want to know what exactly the skinny dude between Void and Boobs Galore asked for when he ascended.

"They called me dickface, let me prove them wrong!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Funky Valentine posted:

So going by Griffith's "give me wings", Godhands (and possibly Apostles in general) have a say in what they look like after ascension. So I really want to know what exactly the skinny dude between Void and Boobs Galore asked for when he ascended.

"Grant me boobs!"

"...not sure what I expected really. Ok, time to make this work somehow."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ronnz posted:

"They called me dickface, let me prove them wrong!"

"Make me look like a Cenobite! Not a cool one, though. Like, one of the ones from a direct-to-video Hellraiser movie."

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

"Just gently caress me up fam"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"I want to be a nose with legs."

"Uh....a giant one?"

"gently caress you. I said what I said."

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
That Zeus-looking guy on the left just wanted a really nice beard.

Edit:

perc2 posted:

One thing is very clear is he's using the design language of the ancient world in this older God Hand to parallel the Roman Empire analogue that was Gaiseric's kingdom. Most clearly seen as that weird greek play mask looking guy and the fact that the "lady" with lots of breasts is clearly inspired by Artemis Of Ephesus

I was getting more of a Malificent vibe from her honestly, what with the horns and the way her face is framed.

If these bozo's ever get names then I hope they take after famous fantasy characters to contrast the modern-Godhand Sci-Fi references.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 1, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

If these bozo's ever get names then I hope they take after famous fantasy characters to contrast the modern-Godhand Sci-Fi references.

I hope they keep the "ominous names plus one regular-rear end name" pattern.

VOID
KULL
ELRIC
XENA
greg

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Funky Valentine posted:

I hope they keep the "ominous names plus one regular-rear end name" pattern.

VOID
KULL
ELRIC
XENA
greg

As the latest eclipse draws to a close, Void surveys the vast swath of carnage laid out in offering for his newest comrade. He turns from left to right, observing each in turn, and as his sightless gaze falls on Conrad a single thought crosses his mind...

"Man, I loving miss Lenny."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My headcanon is that the other Godhand rag on Conrad constantly.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I thought I had shed my last tear but nothing could have prepared me for how mean the Godhand were.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Funky Valentine posted:

My headcanon is that the other Godhand rag on Conrad constantly.

Mine is that Griffith recovered from torture and became a benevolent king and Guts and Casca made some friends and recovered from their own woes and everyone lived happily ever after.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Man those previous Godhand designs are sick.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

The fact that there were previous God Hand members who aren't around anymore means that they can die via ways other than the Dragonslayer, which makes me curious how or by whom

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

Strelok604 posted:

The fact that there were previous God Hand members who aren't around anymore means that they can die via ways other than the Dragonslayer, which makes me curious how or by whom

Always remember that the fairy demon died to the canon arm, and not even the sword.

We all know how this comic goes; theres bad guys, then bad demon guys, then a big bad demon, and the hero kills them all.

I've only bought a copy of "young animal" ONCE and I understand why this series is being reprinted in large book form. It being a normal magazine size really helps.

Shame jump, weekly, and sundays get reduced on TPB. Blame! might be the first to do this "print the books in the same size" thing.

In my opinion, it can look better when reduced anyway. I've been doing comics for decades, it took a while to accept that crunching the art down for a magazine/comic makes it look a lot better.

Insert a Name Here fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 5, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strelok604 posted:

Well

I mean

We have a good idea of whom

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Void, you wanted to see me?"

"Yeah, Lenny, hey. Uh, see, I really appreciate all you've done in the Godhand, and you've done a great job. The 'literal stick person' look has had a good run and it brought in lots of Apostles. But, uh, well, I'm gonna have to...let you go."

"What? Why?"

"See, it's been 216 years, and we found a new hire. She's great, has a whole theme set out, really fits into the new 'Budget Hellraiser Sequel' look I want to cultivate from here on out. Even has a name based off a 60s sci-fi book. So. Yeah. Uh, talk to Emily, she'll give you your last check and slip to take to Unemployment. If you can have your desk packed up by Friday that'll be swell."

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Burkion posted:

Well

I mean

We have a good idea of whom

oh yeah that would make sense wouldn't it lmao I'm dumb

I wonder what skull knight even is given that he's immortal but also fighting against the godhand which apostles wouldn't be able to do, you'd think given how it's the source of their power

Strelok604 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 5, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strelok604 posted:

oh yeah that would make sense wouldn't it lmao I'm dumb

I wonder what skull knight even is given that he's immortal but also fighting against the godhand which apostles wouldn't be able to do, you'd think given how it's the source of their power

So, going by the series clues and what they've stated out right, he's a Wraith at the moment. He may have either been an Elf or a Human king in life, warrior either way, Godhand hosed his poo poo up and Void betrayed him. He got the Berserker armor and followed Guts path, including having a sorceress helping him. The difference was the berserker armor either straight up ate him, or left him in such a state that he was effectively dead. So they packed his soul or what was left of his body into the Skull Knight armor.

In effect, he's a soul bound to his current armor, unwilling to die but not truly alive.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Burkion posted:

The difference was the berserker armor either straight up ate him, or left him in such a state that he was effectively dead.

I don't think that's a difference as much as a cautionary tale of what Guts' crusade will end up doing to him

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't get the sense Skullknight killed the previous members. He seemed similar to Guts, hunting down Apostles with his sword and magic armor, and only forged the behelit sword recently, and even that was able to take down a Godhand.

It could just be that since there has to be a new one every 216 years, at some point before, one of the previous becomes part of the vortex of souls.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Or it could be that they are what the Godhand resembled prior to each of their respective eclipse ceremonies. The IOE is supposed to be people's subconscious desire for god - and these figures are clearly all inspired by older, 'dead' gods that maybe have been subsumed into the IOE - possibly the eclipse ceremony is the joining of an old god construct to a willing soul... which I guess brings the IOE one step closer to having direct influence in the mortal plane.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Seeing as how it's been like two years since I last read Berserk, so like two issues behind, finally caught up. I really need to go back and re read a lot of stuff.

That huge brain guy is an amazingly detailed Martian from "Mars Attacks" that also looks like a bigger brained "They Live" alien and it loving rocks. I just want him to lift a finger and to just menacingly go ACK!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If anybody wants to drop a hundo today that can get you the first 3 deluxe omnibuses
https://www.rightstufanime.com/daily-deals

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I read this theory the other day after finishing my first reread of Berserk since Rickert slapped Griffith or the sea god arc or something (and discovered that the first time I read was already well over a decade ago)

I found it fascinating and it pretty much explained a lot of what's been going on for me. Also that the God Hand are trying to eliminate the creatures of the astral realm because the Idea of Evil's power is over humanity specifically.

Finally, interesting easter egg:

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

Jiro posted:

Seeing as how it's been like two years since I last read Berserk, so like two issues behind, finally caught up. I really need to go back and re read a lot of stuff.

That huge brain guy is an amazingly detailed Martian from "Mars Attacks" that also looks like a bigger brained "They Live" alien and it loving rocks. I just want him to lift a finger and to just menacingly go ACK!

Yeah everyone agrees Void has the coolest design, but I have a soft spot for Ubik. He's just so happy!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I don't know if learning what Void's body looks like makes him better or worse.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

wtf

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I honestly think it would look pretty cool if they'd gone with a design other than "brain jelly" for the base

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tosk posted:

I honestly think it would look pretty cool if they'd gone with a design other than "brain jelly" for the base

I'm wondering how canonical it is, and honestly even if its just based on the concept I'm sure the art will do it better justice than that

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Boco_T posted:

If anybody wants to drop a hundo today that can get you the first 3 deluxe omnibuses
https://www.rightstufanime.com/daily-deals

I have all 5, they're quite neat. I like how the cover looks and the big pages help a lot

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They’re nice volumes. One day I hope my descendants inherit them and are horrified by their contents and baffled by the level of detail in the art.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tosk posted:

So I read this theory the other day after finishing my first reread of Berserk since Rickert slapped Griffith or the sea god arc or something (and discovered that the first time I read was already well over a decade ago)

I found it fascinating and it pretty much explained a lot of what's been going on for me. Also that the God Hand are trying to eliminate the creatures of the astral realm because the Idea of Evil's power is over humanity specifically.

Finally, interesting easter egg:

This was even more obvious in the prototype.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan

Funky Valentine posted:

His appearance underneath the cape here is not canon, as far as I know.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
That's not brain jelly, those are the skulls/faces that line the floor and walls of the Eclipse room.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
its a burnt hamburger patty

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

So......he can never move from that one spot, and any hero opposing him have to come to him?? That's a pretty big power move.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It would be kind of funny if all of the Godhand are near invincible and require specific circumstances to kill but one of them just goes down like a chump.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

bobjr posted:

It would be kind of funny if all of the Godhand are near invincible and require specific circumstances to kill but one of them just goes down like a chump.

Conrad.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m a causality bending demigod and my one very specific weakness it being hit by an elf carrying one of those spikey seed pod things, I’m unstoppable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I usually use the amount of unread posts on the Berserk thread to let me know when to check in again so I missed like 5 chapters when the old thread got gassed.

Not caught up yet, but i just wanna say: seeing Casca in armour and using a sword again was fuckin' cathartic.

edit: im caught up now, goddamn miura can draw. i dont care that much about the IoE/godhand lore, but i am all in for SK/void backstory

crepeface fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 13, 2020