Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

seaborgium posted:

I'd love it, I got some free space on my wall.

You best post that on the wall when you get it friend.

I'm doing my first re-read of The Final Empire right now with an audiobook. So far it's fantastic, but after my stormlight re-read I can see how far Sanderson has come as a writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

insider posted:

Yea it kind of just hit me too. I'm so loving ready.

Also this thing is real cool: https://roshar.17thshard.com/#/en-US

Don't miss out on this, it really is loving cool. Not just the various map modes, also the timelines of each character, with really good (fanmade?) drawings of the people and events. If you're a Stormlight Archive fan, you should definitely check it out.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 3, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wow. I absolutely love this.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Sab669 posted:

Wow. I absolutely love this.

I thought it was really good. [Stormlight spoiler up to Oathbringer] Shallan has murdered a lot more people than I remembered...

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

New chapter is up.

With all the talk of Urithiru’s oddities, I’ve come up with a new wild theory - Urithiru is a spaceship and is how the humans originally travelled to Roshar from Ashyn.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

MildShow posted:

New chapter is up.

With all the talk of Urithiru’s oddities, I’ve come up with a new wild theory - Urithiru is a spaceship and is how the humans originally travelled to Roshar from Ashyn.

pretty sure theres a WoB out there that this is explicitly not the case

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Dalmuti posted:

pretty sure theres a WoB out there that this is explicitly not the case

Oh. Oh well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MildShow posted:

Oh. Oh well.

yeah dalmuti is right

it's definitely alive though when it's inhabited by the Sibling properly, there's no way those aren't basically veins

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

We've got 1 more coming next week, right? Or are they skipping the week before release?

quote:

She kept bullying him with her frustratingly insistent spren stare—she didn’t blink unless she pointedly decided to, so he’d never met anyone else who could glare quite like Syl. Once she’d even enlarged her eyes to disturbing proportions to deliver a particularly important point.[/spoiler]

lmao.

Well, you guys called it - and it definitely makes sense. But I'd be lying if I said I was excited for Kaladin's new role to be honest. They can't all be fighters, I guess, but drat. As far as Urithiru goes, my money's still on a giant stone robot thing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Well, you guys called it - and it definitely makes sense. But I'd be lying if I said I was excited for Kaladin's new role to be honest. They can't all be fighters, I guess, but drat. As far as Urithiru goes, my money's still on a giant stone robot thing

it sets up nicely the '"oh odium's forces are literally inside urithuru and our armies are elsewhere, i have no choice" kaladin sighs as he picks up his shardblade' moment

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, good point.

And also someone just posted this interesting comment on reddit about Lirin/Hessina's discussion about the rock sediments/formations/coloration in the walls:

quote:

Since duralumin is a copper alloy, it could also be what's described in the veins in Uritheru that Kaladin's parents comment on. Hence the veins are investiture conduits.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Sab669 posted:

We've got 1 more coming next week, right? Or are they skipping the week before release?

lmao.

And this is why I think Stormlight Archive should get an animated adaptation instead of live action. It's already anime.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There have been no flashback chapters up to know, right? Way of Kings' first "real" flashback (that is, the first Kaladin flashback, not the two prologues) was either chapter 1, or chapter 10 for his childhood in Hearthstone. In Words of Radiance, Shallan's first flashback was also chapter 10. And Dalinar's first flashback in Oathbringer was chapter 3!

Yet here we are in Rhythm of War, chapter 18, and still no flashback to be seen. And it would indeed be strange to have an Eshonai flashback right now, it would imho not fit the flow of narration. This is presumably Venli's book, but we only had two chapters from her viewpoint so far, a far lower ratio than Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar had in the first parts of their books. But I could very much see her getting more PoV chapters later in the book, when she goes to Urithiru, and maybe that's where the Eshonai flashbacks will come.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also, calling my shot here: Kaladin's 4th ideal moment is going to be about the decision to protect his family versus protecting others (or, maybe more specifically, to accept that he has to let other people do their jobs to protect them so he can do his)

Torrannor posted:

Yet here we are in Rythm of War, chapter 18, and still no flashback to be seen. And it would indeed be strange to have an Eshonai flashback right now, it would imho not fit the flow of narration. This is presumably Venli's book, but we only had two chapters from her viewpoint so far, a far lower ratio than Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar had in the first parts of their books. But I could very much see her getting more PoV chapters later in the book, when she goes to Urithiru, and maybe that's where the Eshonai flashbacks will come.

yeah i wanna say that sanderson said somewhere that this first part we're getting is like the "conclusion" of what happened in between books, then flashbacks start in earnest when we get to the beginning of the 'new' story

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 3, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea there's a WOB that they don't appear until "later in the book". Not sure how far back they go, but...

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

MildShow posted:

New chapter is up.

I assume the city was built by Singers - all the pipes etc were grafted on by humans to run the place without singing to spren. Rlain will probably do something important during the takeover.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
If you were extremely interested in Jasnah's sexual orientation, don't worry Brandon has you covered https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/jmwe4r/last_weeks_annotation/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Subvisual Haze posted:

If you were extremely interested in Jasnah's sexual orientation, don't worry Brandon has you covered https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/jmwe4r/last_weeks_annotation/

That's nice to read, and also what a lot of fans roughly guessed her deal to be. I approve.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

brandon's come a loving hell of a long way on this stuff -- not that he was ever bad but now he is actively good. it warms the heart to see someone from such a different background like he is care so much about inclusivity

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Progress report on Mistborn - just wrapped up chapter 14, putting me at about 10/25 hours in. It’s where Kelsier and Vin infiltrate Kredik Shaw.

Question about these Steel Inquisitors - Has no one thought to use alloymancy to pull the spikes from their face? This book is very videogamey and that feels like the video game solution to these seemingly immortal beings. Rip those spikes out of their face and watch their brains spill out or something. I feel like this is an obvious solution.

With regard to the hard rules on the magic - I like that because it turns the story into more of a puzzle. I know what can and can happen because of these rules so nothing is a surprise (in a good way).

At this point - I’m waiting for two alloymancy things to happen: someone using impure metals and someone overloading. Perhaps Vin defeats the Lord Ruler by tricking him into using impure Atium or something. But the only reason I can speculate on this is because the world operates based on well defined rules.

Basically - I really love this book.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Progress report on Mistborn - just wrapped up chapter 14, putting me at about 10/25 hours in. It’s where Kelsier and Vin infiltrate Kredik Shaw.

Question about these Steel Inquisitors - Has no one thought to use alloymancy to pull the spikes from their face? This book is very videogamey and that feels like the video game solution to these seemingly immortal beings. Rip those spikes out of their face and watch their brains spill out or something. I feel like this is an obvious solution.

It was part of kelsier's infodump in chapter 8 - stuff that's inside the body isn't viable, so you can't do that thing from X-men and rip the metals out of someone's stomach to tear them apart. Even being partly inside (like the big eye spikes) makes it nonviable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dawnshard goes out to backers thursday

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Inquisitor spikes are doubly hard to move with allomancy because ontop of piecing a living being they've also got the equivalent of magical mass on their own.

Its like trying to eat food thats already in someone elses stomach if you want an analogy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tunicate posted:

It was part of kelsier's infodump in chapter 8 - stuff that's inside the body isn't viable, so you can't do that thing from X-men and rip the metals out of someone's stomach to tear them apart. Even being partly inside (like the big eye spikes) makes it nonviable.

DOH! I already completely forgot about that! But see, this is what I'm talking about - there are rules that answer these questions. I much prefer magic systems with hard rules since it reduces the chance of the story being "Oh yeah and a wizard comes in and does random magic to save the day!"

I enjoyed the infiltration of Kredik Shaw because it brought the tension back that has been missing for the last 10 or so chapters.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

At this point - I’m waiting for two alloymancy things to happen: someone using impure metals and someone overloading. Perhaps Vin defeats the Lord Ruler by tricking him into using impure Atium or something. But the only reason I can speculate on this is because the world operates based on well defined rules.

Well of Ascension is gonna blow your mind!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leng posted:

Well of Ascension is gonna blow your mind!

I look forward to it. I'm getting through about 2-3 hours a day of this book. So I suspect I'll be done by the end of next week. This book is a blast. I have zero clue about anything that will happen in this book or later ones (other than the deaths of Kelsier and the Lord Ruler). I'm steering clear of anything regarding this book (thank gently caress I can post my thoughts/questions in this thread).

I really really like the strict rules of the system since it turns the book almost into a puzzle to be solved.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

What do you think of the parties?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Anshu posted:

What do you think of the parties?

The balls? Only had the ball at House Venture so far. Don't trust that House Venture heir who was reading the book. I have the feeling Vin is going to let her guard down around him and gently caress things up and it's going to make my eyes roll out of my head. I hope this doesn't happen.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

:)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So far, the book hasn't done it, but I just get so nervous when I see potential pitfalls.

Like, I hope there's not a character regression period for Vin. I'm sure there will be betrayals and there is a zero percent chance Reen doesn't appear in her life again (and probably betray her again), but I just don't want her to be like "Oh yup. I'm better alone. I can't trust anyone anymore. I was stupid to trust people." or poo poo like that. It's just the boring kind of drama because you' know it's only temporary and they'll get past it and it feels like padding.

I hope the book guy, heir to House Venture, doesn't turn into the stupid trope of "Oh he befriended you and you gave him your secrets now he betrayed you, proving that noblemen suck." Because that would diminish Vin's character, I feel.

I hope Sanderson is a better writer than that, the book as been fun as gently caress so far. If those things happened, it wouldn't completely ruin the book for me, but it would dampen my enthusiasm for it.

Also - Camon's death ruled.

Also also - one of my favorite things are the flashback interludes of the Lord Ruler pre-ascension.

Also also also - "The Sliver of Infinity" is a rad loving title.

Also also also also - Another theory of mine is that he didn't destroy the Deepness. He either absorbed it (Diablo 2 style) or enslaved it in the Pits of Hassynth and is milking it for Atium like they milk slugs for Slurm in Futurama. Maybe a mixture of both. I get real Diablo 2 vibes from everything regarding the Lord Ruler.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Nov 4, 2020

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
It's really great to read theories from someone reading the book for the first time. Whether you are right or wrong you'll have a great time with the rest of the book I think :)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Seconding my love for reading your theories. And I think we are generally good about not spoiling things in here, unlike the people who couldn't refrain from hinting of things to come in the Babylon 5 blind watch thread :argh:

Sanderson definitely has a thing for flashbacks, so these are nearly always well done in his books. Mistborn is no exception :)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I always love reading newcomer's takes on the book, but I especially appreciate your Diablo 2 and Futurama parallels :allears:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Definitely keep posting! I too love seeing a first timer's reactions to a book - it brings back my own memories of experiencing it for the first time and it's so much fun. You are in for a helluva ride.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So someone just tell me. Elend Venture - is he cool or does he suck?

Because on one hand, death to all noblemen. But on the other hand it would be nice to have a nobleman who actually was cool. At the part where there were more balls, winter is ending, and Kelsier is about to leave to see the army. (I'm ready for the action to pick up again.)

I just at this point am so distracted by Elend Venture, nothing about him in particular, but his character role in whether he's a potential love interest or he's a betrayer and we're going to have to go through that drama. It's distracting because the story is just in this waiting dread period of "is Vin gonna make a series of bad choices and get hosed over by Elend?"

So is he cool or does he suck? That's all I want to know. That way I can just enjoy the story more.

They already had a meetcute! I hope he doesn't suck.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Because on one hand, death to all noblemen. But on the other hand it would be nice to have a nobleman who actually was cool. At the part where there were more balls, winter is ending, and Kelsier is about to leave to see the army. (I'm ready for the action to pick up again.)

I just at this point am so distracted by Elend Venture, nothing about him in particular, but his character role in whether he's a potential love interest or he's a betrayer and we're going to have to go through that drama. It's distracting because the story is just in this waiting dread period of "is Vin gonna make a series of bad choices and get hosed over by Elend?"

So is he cool or does he suck? That's all I want to know. That way I can just enjoy the story more.

They already had a meetcute! I hope he doesn't suck.

Read and find out :sun:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

Read and find out :sun:

I hope I find out definitively sooner rather than later. I really dislike the whole will they/won’t they kinda stuff.

I’m just past half way through. I’m addicted.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

smertrioslol posted:

Read Listen and find out :sun:

ftfy

Another topic: Please remember to liberally use spoilers when Dawnshard and Rhythm of War come out. I know the thread usually resembles a redacted CIA document after book releases, but it's very important to avoid spoiling slower readers. Don't be that dick who spoiled the big payoff of Shadows of Self in unmarked spoilers less than a week after that book came out.

Also, it would be nice if we could be considerate of posters like Mordiceius, and maybe we can be careful when discussing even old books like Way of Kings, in case they decide to dip their toes into Stormlight Archive as well. :)

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 7, 2020

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

You are letting your knowledge of fantasy tropes get in the way of your enjoyment. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

There is no way on Scadrial that I'm spoiling this one for you - keep going and find out!