Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
As someone who also didn't like Pyre, Hades is fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

kloa posted:

Was kinda disappointed with Pyre, but might give Hades a shot.

I also didn’t like Pyre. The core gameplay was very eh, and I didn’t care enough about any of the characters or the world to keep playing past the first cycle. Hades is very much not Pyre. It’s like they played all the Binding of Isaac-alikes over the last nine years, took careful notes on what does and doesn’t work in each, and made an extremely tight, rewarding experience out of only the good stuff from all of them.

Ive always felt like Supergiant’s games, no matter how much I liked any given title, were a little light; for each of the games we got there was a much bigger one with more fleshed out systems that the developers felt they couldn’t pull off with their budget and/or talent pool, so they played it safe and pared the experience down considerably (Nothing to base that on, just a feeling). Hades, by comparison, is the first game by Ive played by them that feels complete.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hades is without a doubt their best work so far and one of the best games to come out this year, even if you're not into roguelites.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And the music is so gooooooood and I think it's still discounted on Steam

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you love picross-style (nonogram) games and would enjoy one with a veneer of plot, try Pixel Puzzle Makeout League, which is a dating sim you advance by solving nonograms. The dating part is annoying in the first chapter or two, but quickly becomes adorable as you get to know the characters better. I have three major complaints.
1. The cursor is a heart, and the selection point is the middle of the heart, not the top or point, so I was constantly mis-clicking.
2. Each set of puzzles begins with a very easy puzzle and works its way up to a 15x15 (or presumably 20x20 eventually). I'm talking 5x5s here.
3. You can't turn off conversations going letter-by-letter with sounds; there's no way to say "just flash up the entire text at once, thanks."

By default, the nonograms are timed. I turned that off, because I play nonograms for concentration, not for stress. Currently $13.49.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Hades is just as good as they say, it paired nicely with the new Netflix anime Blood of Zeus.

I started the series and Hades popped into my head immediately.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

And the music is so gooooooood and I think it's still discounted on Steam

I still had a $10 coupon from EGS so I got it for $10 and it's already more than paid for itself

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Hades is just as good as they say,
that sounds cool, i might check that-

quote:

it paired nicely with the new Netflix anime Blood of Zeus.
pass.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Why would a completely unrelated tv series stop you playing a game?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

InsertPotPun posted:

that sounds cool, i might check that-

pass.
I think you misunderstood that. They're not literally paired. There's absolutely no relation between Hades and that anime, they just thematically go well together.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Fatty posted:

Why would a completely unrelated tv series stop you playing a game?

https://twitter.com/swtor/status/177851439945756674

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Cardiovorax posted:

I think you misunderstood that. They're not literally paired. There's absolutely no relation between Hades and that anime, they just thematically go well together.
This is indeed what I meant, It refreshed me on the stories, traits and themes of olympic gods after not learning about them since early school.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Doesn't really apply, as SWTOR have purposefully hitched their wagon to Big Bang Theory.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Did someone just say 'anime is good?'

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

InsertPotPun posted:

Did someone just say 'anime is good?'

Yes. Anime is good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Anime is good but only in the form of a visual novel without H scenes (seriously wtf Japan) or FFXIV.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Anime is bad, but Hades (not an anime) is good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I enjoy animes such as Avatar The Last Airbender and Death Note (live action).

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

I enjoy animes such as Avatar The Last Airbender and Death Note (live action).

You just want to stir controvery, right? :smugdon:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also it's technically not anime, as the studio is based in Texas.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

David D. Davidson posted:

Also it's technically not anime, as the studio is based in Texas.

If an animation is made in a forest, and no one Japanese hears it, does it make a owo~?

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Hi folks, we just launched Kosmokrats on Steam, it's kind of a physics puzzler combined with a comedy adventure game with a big branching narrative.

It's fully voice-acted (the cast includes Bill Nighy as the narrator) and it's just a blast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3PHluyqVu0

Here's three keys for it! (With the final letters obfuscated to stop bots)
LVETZ-CBE4L-GMY0 (last letter is g)
33IBE-TFWYY-B8TH (last letter is h)
VELII-72P0E-DG3C (last number is 8)

Please do check it out and leave a review, it really helps indie publishers like us.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1204410/Kosmokrats/

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Thanks, I grabbed this one since this seems up my alley. I'll definitely leave a Steam review in a day or two.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Claimed this one. Game looks awesome!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

33IBE-TFWYY-B8TH (last letter is h)

Please do check it out and leave a review, it really helps indie publishers like us.

3 is gone, I got 2, will give it a try later today.
Thanks

e: oh, looks like all 3 taken.

e2: i love potato based games

OgNar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 5, 2020

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

e2: i love potato based games

then Kosmokrats is the game for you my friend

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Bill Nighy as the narrator

:eyepop:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I blew a potato storage cell, likely starving thousands of Kosmokrats.
A sad, sad day in the peoples history.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

OgNar posted:

I blew a potato storage cell, likely starving thousands of Kosmokrats.
A sad, sad day in the peoples history.

If you run out of potatoes, the Space Force will have to find... alternative... food sources.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
If it's not from the anime region of Japan it's just a sparkling 12fps cartoon

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Any goons into due process? https://store.steampowered.com/app/753650/Due_Process/ Its like buy one, gift one free on steam and I got a copy from a friend. Really fun shooter, kind of like rainbow 6 meets counterstrike. Requires a lot of teamwork, is there a goon discord for this game?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I played a couple of hours of this and it's good fun! There's Soviet space era satire and melancholy in the presentation that hits the right key notes. There's a lot of presentation, a lot more than I thought there'd be, and I want to see more of it. The main gameplay feature is a physics based jigsaw puzzle that's fun and intuitive, and also incredibly easy to mess up in true Soviet style. I haven't failed the space campaign yet, but since I'm spending all my hard earned food stamps on vodka and propaganda state approved entertainment instead of potatoes, the missions are becoming more challenging.

One thing I have to mention: i didn't notice a color blind mode in the options, and being able to distinguish between the colors of the magnetic points where the pieces attach seems pretty important.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 6, 2020

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I was looking at the new games in Steam and this wonderful thing was in the queue:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, Chicken Police sounds really good.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Thanks for reminding me to try out Apex Legends.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

StoryTime posted:

I played a couple of hours of this and it's good fun! There's Soviet space era satire and melancholy in the presentation that hits the right key notes. There's a lot of presentation, a lot more than I thought there'd be, and I want to see more of it. The main gameplay feature is a physics based jigsaw puzzle that's fun and intuitive, and also incredibly easy to mess up in true Soviet style. I haven't failed the space campaign yet, but since I'm spending all my hard earned food stamps on vodka and propaganda state approved entertainment instead of potatoes, the missions are becoming more challenging.

One thing I have to mention: i didn't notice a color blind mode in the options, and being able to distinguish between the colors of the magnetic points where the pieces attach seems pretty important.

Hey cheers! If you’re enjoying Kosmokrats please do leave it a Steam review, that really helps.

Good shout about the color blind mode... I’ll talk to the dev about that.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Hey cheers! If you’re enjoying Kosmokrats please do leave it a Steam review, that really helps.

Good shout about the color blind mode... I’ll talk to the dev about that.

I'll deffo do a review, but I want to put in a couple more hours first. Makes it more credible if that's even a thing when it comes to steam reviews.

About the color blind thing: having the magnets be different shapes in addition to being different colors shouldn't be too tough of a change.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So blood of steel came out on steam but has been out in china for awhile.
Similar to tiger knight / conquerors blade / captains mode mount and blade
The heroes in the game range from historical chinese generals, cathrine the great, 4 different kings of england, and leonitus.

It is like mount and blade, world of tanks, and league of legends had an awful offspring whose real father is a phone game but on PC.

Pros
Mount and blade style combat
Units are tied to heroes
All heroes work the moment you get them

Cons
Phone game style UI flashy pop up crap which mainly goes away after awhile
Initial money surge goes away causing you to need events, to do dailys / quests for a week or month, or real money to buy new heroes
5 different in game stores
The game has been out in china for awhile, translation and text has issues in place, and not all CN content is in NA.

If you can get past the initial annoyances and the 4 pop ups telling you about events after you start the game up, it is rather fun. Matches are 3-15 minutes long depending if it is field, siege, or if you got a horse cav running around.

I am exited since I just got Han Xin, a personal favorite, and he is just silly

He can target someone with his cross hairs or in a handy map, toss a heal, a hp buff, or ressurect 20% of someones units based on how much focus (mana) he has. He gains that from his units blocking or parrying and by selecting a unit to be a vanguard and the vanguard doing damage.

It is extremely my poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Diaochan could absolutely kick Phillip II's rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Diaochan could absolutely kick Phillip II's rear end

She is a speed sword and shield unit that doesn't slow down when she has her shield up. She also has a melee combo system which is rare for most melee.

Also a formation for her troops to go even faster.

She extremely owns.