Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bape Culture posted:

The politician guy with dementia who always forgot where his car was and took a taxi home and was clearly deteriorating and melting down at a neighbour seemed incredibly solved to me.

The more I've read and watched about true crime, the more I've seen unexplained disappearences likely being little more than people not knowing the signs of mental distress because it was a time when this stuff wasn't talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

likely being little more than people not knowing the signs of mental distress because it was a time when this stuff wasn't talked about.

So yesterday? People are still really bad at spotting obvious mental health crises.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

So yesterday? People are still really bad at spotting obvious mental health crises.

Or maybe even able to spot it, but not being able to do anything about it. My former roommate is having what I can only assume is a psychotic break, but there's absolutely no one I can report this to. My friend lives next door to him still and keeps telling me that he'll come out and check his car several times a night, taking photographs of the ground and the alley and what not, and then will print those pictures up and leave them on all the neighbor's doors with random things circled and like question marks drawn all over it. I tried reaching out to my old landlord to let him know and he told me that he's been hiding all the other tenant's packages because he thought they were stealing all of his. Also apparently the guy below him complained because he's pounding on his door at night and then running up the stairs to his apartment. I could reach out to his dad, but he's apparently cut his dad out of his life for "spying on him" recently. I could call the police, but they're just going to do a "wellness check" and he's stable enough to speak to someone (plus he's from Ghana, so there's a risk if he is acting crazy the cops will just shoot him).

This is a severely mentally unstable man who I'm afraid is going to go off the rails and possibly hurt someone eventually (I caught him sneaking into my room while I was sleeping before I moved and his excuse was he thought I had his plate in my room, he was holding a steak knife at the time), but there's no one to report any of this to. It's the classic "there were red flags" situation, but there's nothing to be done about it besides getting away from him and hoping when he finally explodes no one I care about is around him.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
episode 7 feels like a definite case of corporate espionage to me

I can't believe the smoke bombs in the construction site was him trying to stop the renovation, a soldier who was in Vietnam would know a hundred ways to burn a loving house down, my theory was it was intended to lure him outside where he'd be vulnerable

they took his wallet, keys and briefcase (didn't get the phone because he dropped it outside and they couldn't find it) and did a bit of searching in his house (I don't know if hiding secrets in the spice jars is a thing people actually do or if it's just made up for spy novels), probably threaten to come back for him if he tells anyone

after that he's basically in a never-ending spiral of panic and paranoia (and he's off his meds because they were kept in, where else, the briefcase)

he goes to the pharmacy to get someone to drive him to Wilmington because he needs someone he can trust, he can't find his car so assumes it's been stolen, maybe the thing with the shoe is he thinks it's been bugged? he hunkers down in a random office building where no-one can find him, then when that's no longer safe he makes a move but gets taken again

then whoever's taken him beats the poo poo out of him because they still need information from him, then they throw him in the dumpster either dead or dying and then he arrives on the landfill the next morning

or maybe I've spent too much time reading second-grade spy thrillers during lockdown

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The more you look at the Rey Rivera case from Season 1 the more trash this show becomes. The attempted ties to the investment company are outright lies, not a misunderstanding, but lies. They're a bad company but they don't even deal in shares etc, they just sell advice to old people for a yearly fee. lovely, yes, but not some big money operation.

What is pretty interesting though is the Reddit theory that he took inspiration from THE GAME, the David Fincher movie, particularly the ending. It can be seen in his collection of movies and is referenced in his note as well as his increasing interest in the Freemasons and Scientology. I don't know that I buy it, but once you remove the conspiracy angle you're left without much choice but suicide.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Right, I still think it was suicide, and they never at any point make a compelling case as to why someone would want him dead. The stuff with his work seemed like a red herring.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, I still think it was suicide, and they never at any point make a compelling case as to why someone would want him dead. The stuff with his work seemed like a red herring.

Yeah the more you look at it the more that particular aspect seems to fall apart. And if Porter Stansberry's comments are true then it leaves even less doubt that he killed himself (or at least no one had a hand in his death).

According to him Rivera's wife admitted to police that they had been up on that rooftop before to watch the sun go down. Stansberry had co-operated with the police and offered a reward for any information and hadn't put a gag order on everyone as claimed, but that any enquiries from the media should go to the legal team, which is pretty standard stuff.

It's all easily verifiable as well so you'd think he'd have to be pretty confident in his claims.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All of his family was wearing crosses, which obviously means it couldn't have been a suicide.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Yea the stuff about the business really does kinda give you a totally false impression of how it happened
I still think it's hard to have jumped so far though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Taear posted:

Yea the stuff about the business really does kinda give you a totally false impression of how it happened
I still think it's hard to have jumped so far though.

Same here. The only thing that really leaves any doubt (for me) that he committed suicide is how implausible the jump sounds, at least based on what was presented in the episode... unless there was some other vector for him to have made the fateful jump.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It was pretty high. So if you jump off you’re gonna go super far. I’m sure someone smarter than me can do the rough maths?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, they keep saying "it was a far way to jump" (ignoring the fact that it really isn't if you think he got a jogging/running start/falling from several stories above, etc), but what's the other option? Dropped from a helicopter? Is it somehow easier to launch a dead body from the roof than a guy jumping? Do they think the hole was already there and someone just happen to beat him to death under it by coincidence? Everything besides suicide is just so far fetched.

It's just a distraught family that can't come to grips with the fact that their son/husband/brother had some sort of mental break and killed themselves. It's just sad, not mysterious.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 5, 2020

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Like i said before, if he hit the edge of the outcropping it would've bounced him out further

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Absolutely. Or he could have jogged like three steps and jumped to make sure he cleared that ledge. Or he could have sprinted in flip flops and jumped. Or he could have been on the ledge and jumped as far as he could.

There's a bunch of ways hitting that roof works out for a suicide.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
The official Unsolved Mysteries podcast launches tomorrow.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh how I hope it's more than just a generic wikipediaed true crime podcast

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Anybody check it out? How was it?

InfiniteZero posted:

I have literally told people I could feel one coming and more often than not, they still don't get it when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I was a kid, maybe in the early 2000s cause I remember people were freaking out over the Y2K bug, I saw an episode of Unsolved Mysteries at my cousins house that freaked me the gently caress out. It was about someone who's skin would shed some kind of aluminum…skin. Does anyone remember if this was a real episode because I've been wondering about it for a while now.