Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

STAC Goat posted:

It picks up a little in the middle seasons when the meta plot gets way more important and the episodic nature falls back a bit. poo poo gets weird. I think it makes a crucial mistake in the last season that kind of blows it but it was a way more engaging watch than I thought at the start. But it still never really gets heavy enough to lose that mid 2000s USA show ease of watching.

fine, use the magic words that make me contractually obligated to watch a show. im not mad. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Now I miss Psych again.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The queens gambit was great, sad it's a one off

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Queen's Gambit was a treat to watch, even with its cheesiness and what I felt were some weird inconsistencies in the writing.

It felt contrived that Jolene had to fork out for Beth's plane ticket when the CIA/NSA/whatever had no problem sending a handler with her, for example. In general all the stuff in Russia didn't feel quite right.

Overall it was a really sumptuous period piece, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been binging Schitt's Creek all day and definitely starting to get the appeal and into it but I am completely perplexed, delighted, confused, and entertained by every acting choice Catherine O'Hara makes in this show.

Also the love interests are Doc Holliday and Jennifer Goines which is cool and weird.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I've been binging Schitt's Creek all day and definitely starting to get the appeal and into it but I am completely perplexed, delighted, confused, and entertained by every acting choice Catherine O'Hara makes in this show.

Also the love interests are Doc Holliday and Jennifer Goines which is cool and weird.

We just finished it on Friday night. You have a lot of hilarious, heartwarming, delightful stuff ahead from everyone.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I just did Hill House in the course of 48 hours, and Holy poo poo it was good. I was really not expecting such quality, but Two Storms (ep. 6) is probably the best netflix exclusive piece of media I've seen??? Finishing up the next series in the anthology, It's fine, but just in a normal way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

We just finished it on Friday night. You have a lot of hilarious, heartwarming, delightful stuff ahead from everyone.

Yeah, I'm getting into S2 now and it feels like its starting to really hit a stride with both the humor and just the really genuinely heartwarming stuff of the family learning to be a family. I just watched Alexis basically beg David for a hug and the two cry embracing each other and it was really, really sweet.

I feel like its got a deeply unfortunate name and initial premise and pitch. I had seen commercials for years and just written it off and even after the first episode or two I just though it was gonna be dumb sophomore humor like Chris Elliot's character. But it feels like they figured out how to adjust the dials really quickly. I never would have given it a look, or stuck past the pilot if it weren't for that Emmy sweep making me curious.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm getting into S2 now and it feels like its starting to really hit a stride with both the humor and just the really genuinely heartwarming stuff of the family learning to be a family. I just watched Alexis basically beg David for a hug and the two cry embracing each other and it was really, really sweet.

I feel like its got a deeply unfortunate name and initial premise and pitch. I had seen commercials for years and just written it off and even after the first episode or two I just though it was gonna be dumb sophomore humor like Chris Elliot's character. But it feels like they figured out how to adjust the dials really quickly. I never would have given it a look, or stuck past the pilot if it weren't for that Emmy sweep making me curious.

The first season is comparably rough. They spin their wheels for a while doing a lot of fish-out-of-water stuff, and it takes a while for them to settle in to humanize the town and give you the expectation that the Roses are well intentioned but inexperienced and not just giant rich assholes (though the jokes about their hedonistic pasts do remain, but take on more of an air of "this is what I once was" as time goes on). I watched season 1, then just ignored it until season 4 came out and we had run out of backlog stuff to watch. We binged from there and I was mad at myself for not having given it more of a fair shake the first time around.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the difference between the S1 finales and S2 finales are dramatic and seem to say everything.

S1 finale: The family thinks they're getting out and spend the whole episode being assholes to everyone and burning all their bridges.
S2 finale: The family form connections with the town, stand up for it against assholes like they were in S1, and end the season telling each other they love each other and joyfully dancing with the whole town.

They definitely figured out what was working and what wasn't and course corrected hard.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Started supernatural as my "unwind before bed" tv show. Only 2 episodes in and it scratches that x-files itch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the difference between the S1 finales and S2 finales are dramatic and seem to say everything.

S1 finale: The family thinks they're getting out and spend the whole episode being assholes to everyone and burning all their bridges.
S2 finale: The family form connections with the town, stand up for it against assholes like they were in S1, and end the season telling each other they love each other and joyfully dancing with the whole town.

They definitely figured out what was working and what wasn't and course corrected hard.

Isn't this just their character arc though? They're so likeable later on because they're so lovely early on -- and, for Moira at least, it's something she could potentially fall back into at any time, even in the final season few seasons.

The first season finale is a big part of why the show has stakes. It's a bit mean, and a bit messed up, by the standards of the show at least, and I like that it suggests that Roland and Jocelyn have a sneaky kind of cunning to them.

They call back to it multiple times in later seasons too. It's not course correction, it's the course.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, yeah, certainly the goal was always the same but I'd argue that S1 should have ended with some of that growth and instead it went the exact opposite way. Asking people to commit to two seasons to see some forward progress is asking a lot. That feels like a mistake to me.

I also just think S1 was meaner and more juvenile in general. There were a lot more "this is not his sister" kind of jokes and even Chris Elliot seems like he's playing his character much broader at the start than later. Some of that is character development but some of it is also the thing you see in pilots and early seasons where it takes awhile to find the right adjustments. Like go back to the pilot episode of any Mike Schur comedy to see the couple of characters or tone that are just wildly "off" to what they become. I think Schitt's Creek starts a lot meaner and dumber then it adjusts to.

But I'm also just starting S3 so I'm only reacting to what I've seen as I go. I just know I wouldn't have gotten to S2 if it weren't for the Emmy thing.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

joepinetree posted:

Started supernatural as my "unwind before bed" tv show. Only 2 episodes in and it scratches that x-files itch.

It's a shame that so much of the storytelling revolves around the main characters getting angry at each other for hiding things to "protect" each other, because that gets so tedious in some seasons. But when the show is on point, it is on loving point, and there are just some great episodes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm a few episodes into Bly Manor, but the au-pair character is just poorly written. The kids keep tormenting her, but she either never says anything to discourage it, or they apologize and all is completely forgiven and forgotten. After a few instances of this behavior, maybe don't play hide & seek in a creepy house with kids who constantly gently caress with you? The more she lets it go, the less I feel sympathetic towards her character. It's set in the 80s, but it feels like nobody on the show actually remembers how strict you could be to kids in the 80s, especially considering it's based on a story from the 1800s.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

One day you'll notice that you start getting emotional when Carry On Wayward Son starts playing

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've been vaguely intrigued to start Supernatural but 15 seasons sounds like a death sentence.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I watched 13 seasons straight and loved it but ymmv

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now I miss Psych again.

You know that's right.

Hey, random question - why can you not get Peacock on Fire Stick or Roku? I have both devices and can't get it on either one. what the hell man, I just want to watch the new Psych movie on my TV.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Me and my wife finished off Ratched the other day after being away from it for about a month. Still not entirely sure how I feel about this show. I mean it's interesting, pretty to look at and performed well, but some parts just felt like a slog to get through to me. I wouldn't say it's bad and I'll probably be tuning into season two. Gwendolyn having cancer and then having it managed from some miraculous treatment after the time skip seems like a total cop out though, and it honestly makes me wonder why they even bothered since that plot point was JUST introduced.

Before that we watched Wolf Creek. We had watched the first movie earlier in the month, and then after watching Wolf Creek 2 we decided we had to watch the series. If you enjoyed the second movie you'll probably like the series, as they're pretty similar in tone and quality. Kinda sad it didn't keep going, though I imagine there's only so many plots you can make with this sort of thing. On another note, the intro put me in mind of True Detective's openings, though the shows aren't anything alike at all.

About two years ago I started Rescue Me and only got about five episodes into the second season. Not that I wasn't enjoying it, it's just I had other stuff going on. Last night I decided I'd pick up right where I left off since I remembered most of the important stuff and ended up binging the rest of the season and watching the first episode of season three. Love it so far but my god does it get depressing, but the humor balances it out really well. In particular, I got a kick out of Sean and Mike suffering a religious crisis because of Katy telling them there is no God when they tried to comfort her about Connor's death.

When does Rescue Me start to get bad, and does it ever recover? Over the years I've heard there was a pretty big dip in quality at some point but I don't know where, and I figured it was in the cards anyways since it has like 93 episodes and in my experience a lot of shows don't stay consistently good if they go that long. I'll see it through regardless, unless it's just too bad to bear, I'm just curious about when I should brace myself for the bad phase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd say season 4. And it never recovers. Rescue Me had one of the best pilot episodes I've ever seen and it whiffs the finale so loving hard.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

joepinetree posted:

Man, I wish I could watch early supernatural again for the first time.

It was one of those shows I never intentionally stopped watching but it dropped off my radar somewhere around season 6 then before I know it there are 9 seasons to catch up on. And I've not heard great stuff about the middle seasons.
I think for me the show lost my interest when Dean got brought back from hell to save the world. It felt like the stakes were incredibly low after that.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Now I miss Psych again.
Ah and now I just wish it was 2009 again. I also miss Monk and to a lesser extent Royal Pains.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
There are a few must-see episodes every season, which sadly wouldn't be enough to fill you in on WTF is going on for the main arcs each of those respective seasons if you cared about that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the "not great" stuff about Supernatural's later seasons are all about its meta plot. The first 5 seasons are a tightly constructed story. After that they're constantly searching for a new one.

But the whole "X-Files" monster of the week thing mostly holds true the whole time. Its just a question of how long you actually enjoy it.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Also you have to really love castiel, sam and dean. Because those dramatic asssholes are the focus 95pc of the time, without much to distract from that.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I've been vaguely intrigued to start Supernatural but 15 seasons sounds like a death sentence.

you can stop after 5, although I enjoyed 6. After that it gets a bit tedious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why didn't anyone tell me Get Shorty was really good? I blame all of you for me missing this until now! :mad:

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me Get Shorty was really good? I blame all of you for me missing this until now! :mad:

Sorry :(

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've been watching Animal Kingdom on Prime and it's alright. A competent if a little far-fetched crime drama (some of the "jobs" they manage to pull off stretch suspension of disbelief) where all the characters are dicks in some way or other and bring all of their problems on themselves and each other due to said dickishness. Just started season 3 of 4 and I want to see how it ends. I'm rooting for a "they all die horribly" ending but that's unlikely.

I also watched The Promised Neverland with my son because it was mentioned here or in another thread and we both really liked it, but the less said about why the better because I feel it's one of those where the blinder you go into it the better it is, and I can't think of a way to describe the premise without totally spoiling the excellent pilot episode. It really captured his imagination and has given me a new threat I can use: "do as you're told or I'll have you shipped!" Feels like the first season is only half a season though or even just a prologue, so we were really pleased to see the 2nd season is coming out in January.

Furloughed again so really burning through the shows. How did Sneaky Pete turn out? I see it's up to 3 seasons now. Only watched 1 when it first came out and liked it; did it retain its quality?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I just finished re-watching the first season of Stranger Things. Whatever came afterwards, that eight episode arc is absolutely fantastic. The way every group of protagonists was working towards the same goal, all with different pieces of the puzzle, and coming together in the end to finish it out is so satisfying. I haven't watching season 2 and 3 in a while, but I feel I can confidently predict they will not be as good as S1 was. If I recall, S2 is the weakest season, while S3 is the middle child.

Just fantastic writing, acting, plotting, and suspense all around.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lucas Archer posted:

I just finished re-watching the first season of Stranger Things. Whatever came afterwards, that eight episode arc is absolutely fantastic. The way every group of protagonists was working towards the same goal, all with different pieces of the puzzle, and coming together in the end to finish it out is so satisfying. I haven't watching season 2 and 3 in a while, but I feel I can confidently predict they will not be as good as S1 was. If I recall, S2 is the weakest season, while S3 is the middle child.

Just fantastic writing, acting, plotting, and suspense all around.

Fun fact: my mom taught the Duffer Bros in 5th grade.

We just finished the Queen's Gambit . Overall I liked it a lot, but I've got to say the last half of the finale didn't quite nail it. Didn't hate it but... It felt way too "and they all live happily ever after." I got a strong feeling there was another ending but Netflix or whoever wanted something less dark. To be honest I'd forgotten about the dude who's now working the local paper so I didn't need the reconciliation there. The "all the chess nerds cheering over the phone" was OK but I didn't really need it either. They just had her yawn a couple of times during the preliminary rounds but I thought they could have hit a little harder how grueling that must have been to run these long matches day after day and have the pressure of knowing she was basically playing the whole Russian team. And why mention that Borgov wants to talk to her if that never goes anywhere? These are nitpicks in a generally solid show but I felt a little let down.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Fun fact: my mom taught the Duffer Bros in 5th grade.

We just finished the Queen's Gambit . Overall I liked it a lot, but I've got to say the last half of the finale didn't quite nail it. Didn't hate it but... It felt way too "and they all live happily ever after." I got a strong feeling there was another ending but Netflix or whoever wanted something less dark. To be honest I'd forgotten about the dude who's now working the local paper so I didn't need the reconciliation there. The "all the chess nerds cheering over the phone" was OK but I didn't really need it either. They just had her yawn a couple of times during the preliminary rounds but I thought they could have hit a little harder how grueling that must have been to run these long matches day after day and have the pressure of knowing she was basically playing the whole Russian team. And why mention that Borgov wants to talk to her if that never goes anywhere? These are nitpicks in a generally solid show but I felt a little let down.

Yeah felt the same way, but it's tough to get a satisfactory ending in a one off I imagine

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Watching Veronica Mars, up to mid season 3. Every time weevil comes up on screen i've been singing the weebls wobble song and now I've just seen that 'weevil wobbles but he doesn't go down' is the name of a future episode, I guess I have the same sense of humour as this stupid but fun show.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I've just watched two episodes of the nexflix Arabic show "paranormal" and I really like it.

It's quirky and nicely creepy, and the lead character Rafaat is a cynical sadsack beaten down by life.

Cairo is both beautiful and decrepit, and with air raid sirens and covert government shenanigans, there's quite an oppressive atmosphere even before you start seeing spookadoodles.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We started watching Brokenwood Mysteries (NZ crime of the week) for about the 3rd time as an escape from the election non-results we were getting. Shows like this really bring home how much better these single-episode murder mysteries can be when they get 90 minutes compared to the 45-50min in US shows. Anyway, Brokenwood usually doesn't get too dark, with good music, beautiful filming, and good detective chemistry without relying on forced interpersonal/romantic drama between the leads.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I discovered there is a Das Boot tv series on Hulu and the production values seem really high. I am a fan of the movie so figure I give show a try. That being said, there is a fine line between creating a submarine drama and being too sympathetic too Nazis so hoping it doesn’t do too much of the later.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 10, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just finished season three of Get Shorty. Boy, the cracks were really starting to show in that last season. I think I'd be ok if it ended there. Feels like it's starting to spin into incredibly silly territory and an extra season might ruin the first three.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I discovered there is a Das Boot tv series on Hulu and the production values seem really high. I am a fan of the movie so figure I give show a try. That being said, there is a fine line between creating a submarine drama and being too sympathetic too Nazis so hoping it doesn’t do too much of the later.

Season 1 is pretty decent, season 2 is garbage.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Finally started watching Star Trek: Discovery after multiple recommendations. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far, but the one big issue I have is with the pilot episode and how all the ramifications on the main character keep coming back to it: (1st episode spoilers only)The scrambled Klingon ship was in Federation space, the Klingon warrior attacked first, and the Klingons fired first, so why does everyone in the Federation keep acting like Michael is solely responsible for it? I felt like the mutiny was enough for her to be shunned by people, but she even says herself that she's the reason the war started. Nobody in the entire Federation investigated the details of this? Other than that I really like it, it's just annoying whenever they bring up that plot point, because it's not what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Been watching the new season of Babylon Berlin. I like it a lot, but it's a drat shame they stopped using Zu Asche, Zu Staub.