Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Oh man I would watch the poo poo out of that

There's sorta a videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Argue posted:

Sounds like all of the Spider-man cartoons were just playing the long game and setting up a Spider-verse miniseries to resolve all of these at once.

The 90s Spider-Man cartoon ended with a Spider-Verse story where Peter met a bunch of alternate versions of himself. At one point Peter makes a stop in a world where Spider-Man is just a comic book character and he meets Stan Lee.

Edit: Although this being 90s Spider-Man it sounds more impressive than it actually was.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 29, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's wild how poorly the 90's Spider-Man animated series aged compared to X-Men, which also kind of didn't age great but the highs are still pretty high and is at least funny when it's bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

90s Spider-man may never technically have found Mary Jane but it got a very definitive ending that strongly implied he was going to find her offscreen in like 5 minutes. I think not actually reuniting them was a network mandate due to syndication, like so many other kids' shows that weren't allowed to have an actual ending. I guess they thought kids would stop watching if the story was over, but were too stupid to realize they'd already seen a rerun? I dunno.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Nah they were gonna do another season but got canned. I dont think they got any scripts finished but basically MJ was in old timey london and Carnage got into Jack the Ripper.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MJ? Who is this MJ? My name is Maribald Janewhether, good sir. Are you some kind of lost circus performer? Your costume is quite garish and juvenile..

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MorningMoon posted:

Nah they were gonna do another season but got canned. I dont think they got any scripts finished but basically MJ was in old timey london and Carnage got into Jack the Ripper.

I mean I'm sure there were plans for that at some point, but you don't end a series with the protagonist saving the multiverse from his dark side, meeting his creator and saying basically "I've completed the hero's journey and am a fully fledged, fully realized individual" if you think you're getting renewed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

The 90s Spider-Man cartoon ended with a Spider-Verse story where Peter met a bunch of alternate versions of himself. At one point Peter makes a stop in a world where Spider-Man is just a comic book character and he meets Stan Lee.

Edit: Although this being 90s Spider-Man it sounds more impressive than it actually was.

Doesn’t Stan go with him to save MaryJane? That’s always been my memory but I’ve never bothered to watch the episode since it aired. I remember that and a frequently repeated scene of Dr. Octopus smashing a bunch of boxes in a warehouse, sometimes even when he wasn’t in a warehouse and occasionally when Dr. Octopus wasn’t in the episode.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

No it's just Peter and Madame Web

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madame Web was voiced by Stan’s wife, so he was almost with Peter at the end.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
And he called her an "Exotic looking woman"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Argue posted:

Sounds like all of the Spider-man cartoons were just playing the long game and setting up a Spider-verse miniseries to resolve all of these at once.
That's... that's basically what the last episode of 90s Spiderman was.

Also the Spider-Verse jaunts in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon.

Blockhouse posted:

It's wild how poorly the 90's Spider-Man animated series aged compared to X-Men
I figured the CGI work dug into the budget and that's why they only had 19/24 minutes animated and had to do poo poo like loops and slowed down footage to pad it out???

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 2, 2020

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

One time in the daredevil crossover, theyre fighting Fisk in his tower and he throws Spider-man back three seasons into the warehouse where ock breaks the boxes, i think you can see ock's machine, too.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

If they had made another season set in Victorian London, you can bet we would have seen that same looped footage of Spider-man in a warehouse dodging Doc Ock's tentacles.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Carnage throws a lantern and we cut to Oscorp blowing up, probably.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

To me, the reused animation and just generally bad looking animation are not what defines the 90s Spider-man, but rather the fact that they would edit out natural pauses in recorded dialogue so they could make scenes go faster. The pacing of that show is downright nauseating as an adult. It's like it's a normal cartoon that was edited by an 8 year old who is trying to summarize it to you.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
With season 3 being on HBO Max now I've been catching up on Young Justice and I have to say, my issues with this show have remained pretty consistent. The weird paramilitary vibe. The way the individual adventures never really come off as particularly satisfying. The occasionally freakishly unnatural sounding dialog (which wouldn't be weird if everyone always sounded like that, but they don't). Khary Payton being like 20+ characters. The 2-3 characters per season who have a big spotlight and are wildly annoying.

That being said, there are some strengths that it only really shows in the long form. Specifically seeing how characters change over protracted periods of time, like Superboy wanting to be the friendly dad type, and Grayson's anxiety about responsibility. There are interesting background changes too, that are only possible with the macro view the show tends to take. And because of that I think at this point I'm more cool with the show wanting to do it's own weird thing than wanting the second coming of the DCAU. And it's always fun to see them pull out the real weird obscure stuff, although the value of that has become far less novel in the ten years since the show started between DC CW and Marvel movies.

One thing I remain annoyed about is the prospect of getting invested into any of the ongoing plot threads (This time it's Cyborg) because I know that season 4 is probably gonna reshuffle the deck, again...

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
They've already kinda set up some stuff with where they're going with some of it. Cisco Ramon being there, Halo being part of the team, they're gonna be probably doing 80s League next more than they already did.

But yeah, honestly? I think calling Young Justice "Ultimate Universe DC/DCAU" is a good way to describe what I like and dislike about the show.

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 24, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I posted Garfield Halloween, figured I'd post this as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbL-uxd4ZVw

Think I mentioned it last time but this was THE show of my childhood, along with Pinky & The Brain. And I feel like they entirely hold up. I doubt at this point I will ever have a child but for the kids of my friends, I feel like they would enjoy these just as much as I did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve been thinking about that Batman Beyond sendoff episode of Justice League and I think it works a lot better if Amanda Waller is senile and Terry just humors her because he’s a nice guy. Also he and his brother have black hair because Bruce had an affair with their mother.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sometimes people just have black hair.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’ve been thinking about that Batman Beyond sendoff episode of Justice League and I think it works a lot better if Amanda Waller is senile and Terry just humors her because he’s a nice guy. Also he and his brother have black hair because Bruce had an affair with their mother.

You realise that would make it worse, right?

Not only does that mean you'd have to have Bruce Wayne still be fertile in his 50's/60's (possible. Maybe he trained his sperm to be the best.)
But he would have to get to know Terry's mum, have an affair with her. Continue the affair long enough so that he would know that Terry is born and is his kid.
Then continue the affair, produce Terry's younger brother.
Than break it off and cut those kids out of his life.

Yes Bruce refusing family is a part of his character. But only out of safety. He doesn't try and actually remove or disown his literal children.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah Bruce being distant is one thing but there's no way the guy would knowingly be a deadbeat. I can't think of too many plots worse than "we gave some guys batman sperm flu shots or something to hopefully create further batmen" but that would be up there

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That part was a joke—sorry.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The most unbelievable part of that is Bruce Wayne having an affair with a normal woman.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As bad as that whole plot was, this scene is beautiful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2pfuSxXaMw&t=87s

Terry: I've got it covered...always.

Also just the fact Terry is growing up to be a pretty normal, happy guy with a functioning romantic relationship. I feel like Bruce Wayne suffered enough for everybody in the DCEU and Terry deserves the most fulfilling, peaceful life possible.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Question IRL posted:

You realise that would make it worse, right?

Not only does that mean you'd have to have Bruce Wayne still be fertile in his 50's/60's (possible. Maybe he trained his sperm to be the best.)
But he would have to get to know Terry's mum, have an affair with her. Continue the affair long enough so that he would know that Terry is born and is his kid.
Then continue the affair, produce Terry's younger brother.
Than break it off and cut those kids out of his life.

Yes Bruce refusing family is a part of his character. But only out of safety. He doesn't try and actually remove or disown his literal children.

Guys don't really have a menopause equivalent you know, so even Bruce during Batman Beyond's present could still end up getting someone pregnant hypothetically

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Larry King's youngest child was born when he was 66 years old.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Things I really did not want to think about

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Skwirl posted:

Larry King's youngest child was born when he was 66 years old.

Tony Randall had two children who were born when he was 77 and 78.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Huh, they've got the first season of Spectacular Spider-Man on UK Netflix right now. But only the first. Weird.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I had a time explaining to a friend why Batman Beyond's premise is so great and that particular JLU episode means well, but sucks. It's just so dissonant with what I think is one of the major themes of Beyond.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And yet in the last season they do drop some hints in that direction, like Superman telling Terry that he’s more like Bruce than he’ll ever know in a way where his voice trails off portentously. I feel like there was something else in the last season like that too where Max is reading police files and says some villain ended up thinking that Terry has to be the original Batman’s son.

There’s also this: https://the-schwayest-batman-around.tumblr.com/post/116679190510/batman-beyond-fact-20

Hard agree that it’s silly and undermines the show. But it was very nice to get closure on a show I thought I’d never see again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's right next to Bruce/Barbara on things that you'd just quietly like to ignore, no matter what the creator intentions were. It doesn't really make sense, like how did anyone plan for Terry to randomly break into the batcave, and it takes away character agency and doesn't really add anything more to the story.

How much of Batman Beyond was playing off of how Marvel 2099 went over pretty well anyways? Or did somebody just inject 2099 DNA into DCAU staff? I think Beyond did better with characters and story but 2099 did better with the edgey future cyberpunk dystopia.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's right next to Bruce/Barbara on things that you'd just quietly like to ignore, no matter what the creator intentions were. It doesn't really make sense, like how did anyone plan for Terry to randomly break into the batcave, and it takes away character agency and doesn't really add anything more to the story.

How much of Batman Beyond was playing off of how Marvel 2099 went over pretty well anyways? Or did somebody just inject 2099 DNA into DCAU staff? I think Beyond did better with characters and story but 2099 did better with the edgey future cyberpunk dystopia.

While it's fondly remembered (well, Spider-Man is) I don't think Marvel 2099 was particularly successful, and I never heard any of the Beyond team reference it in any of the stuff I've heard of from them.

As far as I know, Batman Beyond is what happened when WB told them to make "Anime Batman" to try and bite Pokémon's success, but instead of making a Batman influenced by kids anime, they made one influenced by Akira and Bubblegum Crisis.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plus I think Terry’s just regular Spiderman more than any other kind.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah I've always described Beyond as "What if Spider-Man was also Batman"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think someone once pointed out one of the first hints of Terry's heritage was that his eyes don't match his little brother's.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Azubah posted:

I think someone once pointed out one of the first hints of Terry's heritage was that his eyes don't match his little brother's.

Under the later explanation mean half his little brother's DNA was Bruce Wayne's as well.

Although, because of how genetics work, men inherit a lot less genetically from their fathers than women do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lil' bean eyes aren't really indicative of a hereditary trait. Unless you're trying to put together a theory that he's somehow the bastard son of Mad Stan.

I think what's most weird about Terry being the son of Bruce Wayne is the fact that so little of the rest of the show feels any obligation to connect itself directly to Batman's past. There's things like the Joker gang, but usually the villains at most only vaguely echo the spirit of old villains. And then they even throw in Kraven the hunter and the Fantastic Four in between things like the dinosaur cult, rat stalker, dirt revenant, and the glowing skeleton businessman.