Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Heaven don’t want me, hell says I make them uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSrZyzqjCh4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Want some of Santa’s yum-nut

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1324465286230155264?s=20

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Legal dogs or war.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Confused about this? Don't worry, Scott cleared it up already

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1324467377879228416

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Remember when Scott Adams renounced Trump for about an hour but people were still mean to him online so he was forced to go back to supporting Trump?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

Remember when Scott Adams renounced Trump for about an hour but people were still mean to him online so he was forced to go back to supporting Trump?

I honestly think Scott Adams has legitimate sadbrains, beyond the sadbrains you get when you become rich. I think there’s something legitimately wrong with him beyond being an rear end in a top hat.

I’m not certain. He may just be a poo poo stain, but it feels like head trauma or something.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

buddhist nudist posted:

Legal dogs or war.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs, or war.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

An inauguration?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Not screenshotting all of it because it's a lot but lol at this guy's meltdown in this thread

https://twitter.com/WeGhanaPartey/status/1324343388725039104

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mak0rz posted:

Not screenshotting all of it because it's a lot but lol at this guy's meltdown in this thread

Lol, they’re so used to huge, empty chunks of land wielding disproportionate power that their brains crack and ping when the actual number of people matters.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I honestly think Scott Adams has legitimate sadbrains, beyond the sadbrains you get when you become rich. I think there’s something legitimately wrong with him beyond being an rear end in a top hat.

I’m not certain. He may just be a poo poo stain, but it feels like head trauma or something.

I think he just has a military grade version of the complex wealthy people develop where they become incapable of introspection. I dunno if there's a specific term for that, I don't think boomer brain or Dunning-Kruger quite apply.

He became wealthy off a stupid comic he drew, so obviously every idle thought that pops into his head must be a genious notion worth billions, and suddenly you spend all your time on twitter making grand statements and shifting goal posts, because to do otherwise would be to acknowledge that you're fallible.

If he has any damage beyound that, it's his inability to just log off and walk away instead of engaging anyone who calls him out. Honestly, I wager that he's just super lonely and it's a sort of company.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol, they’re so used to huge, empty chunks of land wielding disproportionate power that their brains crack and ping when the actual number of people matters.

Perhaps it would help if someone made a population density homunculus that inflates the areas of the map with people in them :v:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps it would help if someone made a population density homunculus that inflates the areas of the map with people in them :v:

You're in luck.

https://twitter.com/bettinaforget/status/1324139878666391555

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mak0rz posted:

Can most people who don't live in Nevada even name a third city in it besides Vegas and Reno?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Skwirl posted:

Can most people who don't live in Nevada even name a third city in it besides Vegas and Reno?

Mesquite. I don’t live in Nevada. I lived in Nevada.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Skwirl posted:

Carson City, which is one of three independent cities in the US outside of Virginia.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Primm.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think he just has a military grade version of the complex wealthy people develop where they become incapable of introspection. I dunno if there's a specific term for that, I don't think boomer brain or Dunning-Kruger quite apply.

He became wealthy off a stupid comic he drew, so obviously every idle thought that pops into his head must be a genious notion worth billions, and suddenly you spend all your time on twitter making grand statements and shifting goal posts, because to do otherwise would be to acknowledge that you're fallible.

If he has any damage beyound that, it's his inability to just log off and walk away instead of engaging anyone who calls him out. Honestly, I wager that he's just super lonely and it's a sort of company.
Entirely possible. I am 100% open to the idea that he really is just that big of a trash person and also lonely and pathetic. It just feels like there’s a little extra stank on it.

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like that smiley means I’m supposed to get a reference you made, but I don’t and I feel kind of dumb about it. Fortunately, someone posted that neat animation after your post, so I am going to go with that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

:smuggo:

The state capital, Carson C--

ultrafilter posted:

Carson City, which is one of three independent cities in the US outside of Virginia.

Well, I got nothing.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Pahrump, which I only remember because it makes me giggle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that smiley means I’m supposed to get a reference you made, but I don’t and I feel kind of dumb about it. Fortunately, someone posted that neat animation after your post, so I am going to go with that.

I tend to use it if I'm being like... not quite sarcastic but saying something wry.

Specifically in this instance I think it is actually a failure of information conveyance, people commonly use geographical maps to convey things about population, so people aren't wrong for looking at the map and thinking "well there's this big bit why doesn't it matter?" because that's a failure of the information medium.

The reason people think land votes is because every drat news channel shows pictures of landmasses on their voting outcome charts. If you want people to stop making that connection then stop showing them pictures that make it.

Skwirl posted:

Boulder City because I have played fallout :v:

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Nov 6, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Battle Mountain, which I remember because of the big BM on the nearby mountain which makes me giggle

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Pahrump, which I only remember because it makes me giggle.
Also Art Bell.

OwlFancier posted:

The reason people think land votes is because every drat news channel shows pictures of landmasses on their voting outcome charts. If you want people to stop making that connection then stop showing them pictures that make it.

That’s interesting. My inclination is to assume someone whining about the number of counties like that person was is being disingenuous, but I suppose they could also be sincerely confused about the difference between physical bigness and population bigness. I wonder if it’s a case of assuming population is distributed more or less evenly, or a case of not being able to separate visual size from the size of the effect on people for a given area.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My inclination is to assume someone whining about the number of counties like that person was is being disingenuous, but I suppose they could also be sincerely confused about the difference between physical bigness and population bigness.

In the case of county-counting, it could easily be by analogy with the US Senate, which counts political divisions rather than population or land area.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yeah people might be being disingenuous but I think when people go "what about all the red states in the middle" they are actually wondering why the big red bit on the map is getting told what to do by the small blue bits on either side. Because it does look wrong.

If you think about it then yes all the people live on the coasts, but still the map conveys an idea by its very nature, as long as the image is repeated the idea persists, the image gives life to the idea by its existence. The empty states are just as red as the full states are blue, the empty states are not pale pink to the vivid blue of the cities, the map is saying something even if you don't intend for it to say that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Having lived in some rural areas there are plenty of folks who have no loving idea just how big some cities are or how many people live there. I remember sitting at a cafe in a small town and in a surprisingly pleasant conversation with some locals explained that growing up near a big city my high school was twice as big as their entire town and not wasn't the only high school it was the smallest of over a dozen in the county.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Do you know how many swollen trucks it takes to service those huge tracts of land? Or their leases which cost more than their housing and then some? How much diesel coal it takes to fire them? How much agricultural benevolence flows from the land of milk and honey that is *peers over glasses* Central Nevada?

Oh gently caress n/m it's an irradiated wasteland the likes of which god does not watch over.

Literal CHUDs if they had anything to live under.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Do you know how many swollen trucks it takes to service those huge tracts of land? Or their leases which cost more than their housing and then some? How much diesel coal it takes to fire them? How much agricultural benevolence flows from the land of milk and honey that is *peers over glasses* Central Nevada?

Oh gently caress n/m it's an irradiated wasteland the likes of which god does not watch over.

Literal CHUDs if they had anything to live under.

Somewhere in a cave a reporters bones lay in a pile with a scrap of paper containing their last words "Pluto's real interest in Trump is for economic reasons..."

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

WAR, WAR NEVER CHANGES.

https://twitter.com/stewroel/status/1324229544182644737

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

War is H-E-Double Hockey Sticks

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Do you think his bowtie spins or is the kind that squirts water?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What manner of team? Debate or academic Decathlon? Maybe he represents Monaco for Model UN?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Inceltown posted:

Do you think his bowtie spins or is the kind that squirts water?

No chance anything has ever squirted from getting that close to his face.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZackBornstein/status/1324464284907106304

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/McJesse/status/1324243647643045889?s=19

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Soylent Pudding posted:

Having lived in some rural areas there are plenty of folks who have no loving idea just how big some cities are or how many people live there. I remember sitting at a cafe in a small town and in a surprisingly pleasant conversation with some locals explained that growing up near a big city my high school was twice as big as their entire town and not wasn't the only high school it was the smallest of over a dozen in the county.

A friend of mine grew up, and still lives in, a town so small she refers to a town of 3000 as "the big city."

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

:gritty:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Geocities Homepage King posted:

A friend of mine grew up, and still lives in, a town so small she refers to a town of 3000 as "the big city."

That's more than 10 times my home villages population so I get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn’t realize until I saw it in another thread that the Lt. Governor in that photo is 6’10”.

I now wanna see a video of him holding the child Hill on the top of his head while he tries to punch him, like a cartoon.