Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

luxury handset posted:

there are way too many half baked EA management games on the market right now
IMO it’s not so much half baked as in “it feels like there’s a lot that is meant to be here but isn’t” but more like “what’s in works, but there’s really no feel of any point in advancing”. Same way I feel about Rise of Industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Volmarias posted:

Brief trip update: somewhat confusing, my colonist got a brain worm, and then my graphics card locked up. That last one is on me, since I somehow have the most lovely graphics card possible, but it looked interesting at least from what I could actually play before my computer decided to kill itself.

Update #2 on Ragnorium:

Interesting game, semi interesting mechanisms. It has all the base mechanics, but it feels a little clunky. Visually, it feels a bit like Kenshi (although it's intentional, not because it's ancient). Some questionable design decisions (cannot tell colonists to perform specific jobs, but CAN tell them to move to a specific location?), and it can feel somewhat slow paced. It also has the potential to just gently caress you over randomly. I basically stopped playing last night when my colonists, returning to base through an area I thought harmless, were attacked and killed by poop golums (remember how I said questionable design decisions? apparently the poops your colonists make will turn into massive sentient monsters if you don't squash them with your feet, or use a compost pile, but the compost pile is too high tech for your primitives)

There's a forced event system, but it has an interesting twist in that your actions can help determine what kind of events you get. There are three choices, one bad one for 0 influence points, one maybe ok maybe bad one for 2, and a good one for 3 or so. There's a quest to get a machine that helps prevent one event per day, but it's also considered "dangerous", although it's unclear what "dangerous" actually means at times.

You can send groups of colonists on specific missions, but the game gives these a hard population cap for team members, so you cannot roll out in force. The bit about not being able to force colonists to do things means that if they run into trouble, you just have to hope there's a high enough job. Think of it like rimworld, except that the only way to directly control a pawn is to move it, or wake it; you cannot give orders to do certain things, only to prefer certain jobs.

There's also a meta game aspect involved, where you choose clones to populate your starting location, and make choices about whether to bring more clones or more supplies. Unfortunately, the time spent between these means that you get the XCOM effect of a clone death spelling long term disaster, at least in the early stages I've gotten to so far. You can also undertake a separate research tree when you're looking at the space station view (which, again, happens infrequently...)

The whole thing has clear potential but right now it's kind of a muddled mess.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Ugh, I have to start playing these stupid games instead of just buying them. The Steam sale has me tempted/going nuts on a bunch of things: Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic, Factory Town, They are Billions.

Meanwhile stuff like Tropico 6, Transport Fever 2, Railway Empires, etc. sit in my library mostly unplayed.

But they're on sale!

You'll save money by not buying things you won't play. Games go on sale frequently, especially at the -20% level, so you can probably buy it later.

Anyway I bought Soviet Republic. Tutorial worked well enough.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What do you all recommend for a pro-wrestling management sim?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SirPhoebos posted:

What do you all recommend for a pro-wrestling management sim?

I've never played it myself but I THINK TEW (Total Extreme Wrestling) is the one that I see screenshots from occasionally in Fight Island. I do know that AEW is supposedly working on a promotion simulator game possibly for mobile but IIRC all we have to go off of on that is the information from a trademark they filed a while back. Next week (11/10) they're making an announcement about a game or games so maybe we'll know more then.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

smarx posted:

yeeeeeeeeeeee haw

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

SlyFrog posted:

Ugh, I have to start playing these stupid games instead of just buying them. The Steam sale has me tempted/going nuts on a bunch of things: Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic, Factory Town, They are Billions.

Meanwhile stuff like Tropico 6, Transport Fever 2, Railway Empires, etc. sit in my library mostly unplayed.

But they're on sale!

You should probably return They are Billions. It's an RTS, not a management game despite the advertising. Even as an RTS, it's not very inspiring. I found it worth beating back in early access on free play, but the campaign they added since is absolutely dreary and they never added enough to freeplay to give it much replay-ability.

You'll probably get some fun out of it. I'm not sure you'll feel like you got your money's worth, though. Especially if you have a bunch of other games in your backlog.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Woo! City Builder sale!

First off, I want to disagree on LLSix’s opinion of They Are Billions. He’s right that it’s an RTS, and he’s right that the campaign is utter crap and should not be played, but the basic random scenario generator it has is super good and has kept me playing it for hundreds of hours. If you like RTSes at all, it’s a very well done one.

Other games on sale that I don’t think have come up:

Depraved is early access abandonware, don’t touch it.

Planetbase is boring and probably not even worth $9 - there’s just not a lot of there there. The same team put together Dawn of Man and put a lot more variety and detail into that one, so if the style appeals to you, get Dawn of Man.

Forest Village is literally Banished but re-skinned. Buy the original instead, because it has a modding community.

Buoyancy looks promising but is maybe 25% complete. It’s not worth your time unless you like investing in Early Access.

Grand Ages Rome is strong as a Caesar-like, with building radii instead of walkers. Eventually you’ll have to get good at the war mechanic to progress, which is a bit of a turn off.

Islanders isn’t a management game but a placement puzzle game and incredibly good and fun and zen at that and is a steal at $2.

Littlewood is a management game in the same way Stardew Valley is a management game - I.e. not at all but it’s a really fun and chill adventure/farming game with no deadlines but gets a bit grindy later.

Parkasaurus is a cute and fun Zoo Tycoon game But Dinosaurs and is pretty neat but very basic - get it for nice designs and chilling, not for serious challenge.

Aven Colony is actually a really good campaign base-builder which suffers a little late in the campaign from lack of variety but at $8 is a huge steal, and has scenario generation so once you get far enough in the campaign to understand the mechanics, you can just build your own cities, take that. Also has hilariously bad plot and voice acting.

Planet Earth is another RTS but one where base management and defense is more important than offense. Still in development, but good especially at discount.

Townsmen A Kingdom Rebuilder might be a good Settlers clone but I never got through part 15 of the goddamned tutorial before just being done with it, and I think there were like 12 more tutorial levels to go. The tutorial is a goddamned campaign.

I like cheap games! I like buying bargains and hoping they’re decent but am often disappointed!

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 5, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ultrachrist posted:

I liked Parkitect. It’s definitely laid back and more about making a nice park than heavy on management.

I’d like to hear opinions on Parkasaurus as well.

Parkasaurus is good. It's not complicated, it's not incredibly deep, and you'll run out of "stuff" eventually, but it's one of the only recent crop of tycoon games I've played that falls somewhere between really hardcore management sim and creative design exercise. It's crunchier than Jurassic World: Evolution and more gameplay-focused than something like Planet Zoo/Planet Coaster. It scratched an itch for me, but that's because I really wanted a game in this style that at least pretended that it was more than a facade around a building sandbox. I tend to find it very tedious and annoying to make things "pretty" in games like this, and I never felt compelled to do that in Parkasaurus.

That said, the art style seems to be kind of polarizing and it's got some low budget jank.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

skeleton warrior posted:

Woo! City Builder sale!

First off, I want to disagree on LLSix’s opinion of They Are Billions. He’s right that it’s an RTS, and he’s right that the campaign is utter crap and should not be played, but the basic random scenario generator it has is super good and has kept me playing it for hundreds of hours. If you like RTSes at all, it’s a very well done one.

I will admit that I don't really enjoy RTS as a genre, my reflexes/APM aren't good enough to play on the highest difficulties anymore and I'm too stubborn to play on the easier settings.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

I will admit that I don't really enjoy RTS as a genre, my reflexes/APM aren't good enough to play on the highest difficulties anymore and I'm too stubborn to play on the easier settings.

I think while it's an RTS it's not really micro heavy at all.

There's not much micro you need to do and the economy system is pretty hands off, you just find space and stockpile to plop down your building and that's it. There's no worker to manage.

Combat is also much more planning oriented. Find your chokepoint, build turrets, wall, and put your units there. If it'll hold then it'll hold. As far as I rememebr there's no ability and the targeting AI does a good enough job you don't really need to direct focus fire. There's time when you have to kite, especially early on when you have only a few units, but it's not a big part of the game.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah they are Billions is more "extreme turtling" then any sort of APM nonsense.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, the reason TMBB is the only RTS I really enjoy is because you can pause with the space bar and do all of your building and troop direction with the game paused. There’s really no need for APM because if you’re relying on rapid response and reflexes to save you then you’ve planned terribly.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

skeleton warrior posted:

Woo! City Builder sale!

Other games on sale that I don’t think have come up:

Depraved is early access abandonware, don’t touch it.

Planetbase is boring and probably not even worth $9 - there’s just not a lot of there there. The same team put together Dawn of Man and put a lot more variety and detail into that one, so if the style appeals to you, get Dawn of Man.

Forest Village is literally Banished but re-skinned. Buy the original instead, because it has a modding community.

Buoyancy looks promising but is maybe 25% complete. It’s not worth your time unless you like investing in Early Access.

Grand Ages Rome is strong as a Caesar-like, with building radii instead of walkers. Eventually you’ll have to get good at the war mechanic to progress, which is a bit of a turn off.

Islanders isn’t a management game but a placement puzzle game and incredibly good and fun and zen at that and is a steal at $2.

Littlewood is a management game in the same way Stardew Valley is a management game - I.e. not at all but it’s a really fun and chill adventure/farming game with no deadlines but gets a bit grindy later.

Parkasaurus is a cute and fun Zoo Tycoon game But Dinosaurs and is pretty neat but very basic - get it for nice designs and chilling, not for serious challenge.

Aven Colony is actually a really good campaign base-builder which suffers a little late in the campaign from lack of variety but at $8 is a huge steal, and has scenario generation so once you get far enough in the campaign to understand the mechanics, you can just build your own cities, take that. Also has hilariously bad plot and voice acting.

Planet Earth is another RTS but one where base management and defense is more important than offense. Still in development, but good especially at discount.

Townsmen A Kingdom Rebuilder might be a good Settlers clone but I never got through part 15 of the goddamned tutorial before just being done with it, and I think there were like 12 more tutorial levels to go. The tutorial is a goddamned campaign.

I like cheap games! I like buying bargains and hoping they’re decent but am often disappointed!

I'm gonna disagree on Planetbase. I got ~120 hours out of (admittedly by 100%'ing it and doing all the workshop scenarios at the time). It's certainly not the deepest or best even in the space-colony-themed subgenre but it's technically competent and there's fun to be had with it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you don't have it, Banished is a great fun, low-intensity game. It's all about the layout, and about coping with disasters. Fun mechanics like when a house is overcrowded, the occupants stop reproducing. That means that you can have a flourishing village, but because you haven't created enough new housing for the children, you're about to have a population crash. Now that you have a population crash, the children will spread out, one per empty house, and they won't reproduce because they don't have partners!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Did the Banished guy ever do anything else?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Did the Banished guy ever do anything else?

Per the Shining Rock homepage, they've been working on something new since 2018. Last dev update is from fall 2019.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

chairface posted:

I'm gonna disagree on Planetbase. I got ~120 hours out of (admittedly by 100%'ing it and doing all the workshop scenarios at the time). It's certainly not the deepest or best even in the space-colony-themed subgenre but it's technically competent and there's fun to be had with it.

As someone who also sank a bunch of hours into Planetbase, I'm gonna say it really feels like it came down to one thing: How much of a sucker are you for anything SPAAAAACE related? As for me: HUGE loving sucker so I loved every moment of Planetbase. However I will say it's relatively basic so it's a huge YMMV game. If you're the type to re-re-replay Surviving Mars because you love near-ish future colonization of the solar system kinda poo poo, then yeah Planetbase might scratch an itch for you.

I will say the team learned a lot of their lessons well and Dawn of Humanity is a better overall game in the same engine that sadly just doesn't appeal to me the same amount.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah they are Billions is more "extreme turtling" then any sort of APM nonsense.

I wish I had time for it because that's basically how I wanted to play all RTS games as a kid.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I wish I had time for it because that's basically how I wanted to play all RTS games as a kid.

look up the age of empires 2 player "fatslob"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you like They Are Billions but want something a bit more civic/supply chainy there is also Rise to Ruins.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I was just thinking, even though I never played Pharoah, I really like the concept of that game. Now if someone was doing a modern take on it that would be cool. I typed Pharoah into steam and there is literally a remake in the works. How about that.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

YOu should also try Zeus & Posidon and also Emperor : Rise of the Middle Kingdom. All impression game city builders that are pretty good.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

PerniciousKnid posted:

Supreme Commander (not 2, the original) is fantastic for this because base defenses are strong, meaningful, and you can shell the enemy base across the map using tier 3 artillery from your own base. Or you can drop nukes. Or you can use experimentals. Or experimental artillery. Or experimental nukes. Or get infinite resources...

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
It's very niche but I like AI War a lot, I enjoy rts games but have no micro skills and this game is a nice, slow, pick objectives and amass your fleet game. The AI opponent is also real smart if you turn the difficulty up, it's incredibly customizable both in difficulty and in mechanical elements you can add or take out and is a real fun game focused on larger strategic objectives with basically no fiddling with individual units. The only time it's really necessary to zoom in and direct units (as opposed to just watching the fight) is when there are very specific and relatively rare ai defenses that have to be handled a certain way.

It's also one of those games they still do patches like every week. But it's definitely not a mainstream game, both in taste and in how it plays out.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 5, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Classic A-train is 60% off its usual comically absurd price of $60. I remember thinking it was a beautiful game that I could not understand at all as a little kid, always wanted to try it again but I had no idea they'd ever updated to work on a non-DOS computer.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Grand Fromage posted:

Classic A-train is 60% off its usual comically absurd price of $60. I remember thinking it was a beautiful game that I could not understand at all as a little kid, always wanted to try it again but I had no idea they'd ever updated to work on a non-DOS computer.

Yeah if you want everything in your train game, Classic A Train is the way to go and at $24 it's a great deal.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Wooper posted:

I was just thinking, even though I never played Pharoah, I really like the concept of that game. Now if someone was doing a modern take on it that would be cool. I typed Pharoah into steam and there is literally a remake in the works. How about that.

There's also this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1157220/Nebuchadnezzar/

Might be worth checking it out once it releases.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Supreme Commander (not 2, the original) is fantastic for this because base defenses are strong, meaningful, and you can shell the enemy base across the map using tier 3 artillery from your own base. Or you can drop nukes. Or you can use experimentals. Or experimental artillery. Or experimental nukes. Or get infinite resources...

Defense building in Supreme Commander is incredibly rewarding, and I love that to make a good defensive perimeter you have to balance between tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 buildings.
And then build a huge flotilla of bombers to attack their base, because who doesn't want to roleplay the allies in ww2?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Greggster posted:

Defense building in Supreme Commander is incredibly rewarding, and I love that to make a good defensive perimeter you have to balance between tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 buildings.
And then build a huge flotilla of bombers to attack their base, because who doesn't want to roleplay the allies in ww2?

It's also great because defensive emplacements generally don't do well against experimental units, so the game doesn't become static. And as you mentioned, bombers are great (though expensive!) ways to also blitz past defenses and break a key structure or emplacement.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Can only agree that SupCom1 is very good.

Timespy posted:

There's also this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1157220/Nebuchadnezzar/

Might be worth checking it out once it releases.

Yes, this is something to keep an eye on. It looks to still be on for a Q4 release, currently being in closed beta.

Dev on Tuesday: "We will be announcing the release date of the game very soon."

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I used to play supcom with my friends where we'd co op against super hard ai, basically building defensive lines to hold out against their endless waves

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mayveena posted:

Yeah if you want everything in your train game, Classic A Train is the way to go and at $24 it's a great deal.

I hope the graphics are just cleaned up originals. A-Train at night is one of my platonic ideals of how a game should look.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I'm a few hours in to Driftland The Magic Revival. Folks, this is the Majesty clone. not sure if it's good in the long run but seems serviceable enough to begin with.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jinnigan posted:

I'm a few hours in to Driftland The Magic Revival. Folks, this is the Majesty clone. not sure if it's good in the long run but seems serviceable enough to begin with.

I'm listening...

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope the graphics are just cleaned up originals. A-Train at night is one of my platonic ideals of how a game should look.

I'm not sure it's a straight remake of the ancient computer game so it might not be the game you are thinking about. It was a Nintendo 3DS title originally.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

explosivo posted:

I'm listening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxgJGyRV3Yw

The twist is that the world's crust has been blown into tiny islands by mages, so you have to explore and then take over each 'island' by either physical or magical bridges. The game play seems pretty core Majesty with somewhat of a larger more robust/finicky economy. You build cottages, they provide labor and eat food. Labor can be doled out among food, money, and resources (wood, stone, iron, coal, diamond, etc). With your surplus gold and resources, you hire explorers and melee/ranged/magic heroes, who you direct around the map with flags. There are also player spells that can be cast directly - fireball, reveal map, magical gates, etc.

It's $7.50 on sale right now and so far, about 1.5 hours in, it's been pretty good.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 6, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nice, thanks for the heads up. Looks pretty cool, and the price is right.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That sounds more like a spiritual sequel to NetStorm crossed with Majesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

It's good to start, but it's setup more like a traditional RTS in terms of late game conflicts and the system really doesn't work well for that. If it stuck to the more monster/objective oriented gameplay like Majesty it would have been great. Instead I hated it by the end of the first map and never played it again.