Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Warthur posted:

There's a new Wobbler album incoming that I have high hopes for.

same

their last one I thought was basically as good as anything Yes did. and I love Yes just as much as all of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

abske_fides posted:

Any prog songs to encourage a relatively newbie to bass to learn? Not a music newbie by all means so time signatures and such are fine, just a newbie when it comes to the bass itself.

This list will be updated - asked a pile of prog musicians and got a mix

Non-prog songs (thanks guys)
Appetite by Prefab Sprout

Prog
Money - Pink Floyd
One of These Days - Pink Floyd
Roundabout - Yes

Great Song But Not Prog And 'Probably too Hard' (thanks again guys)
Rio - Duran Duran

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

"Rio" is definitely excellent for learning how to play bass fast and accurately without jumping headfirst into some insane prog bassery like YYZ.

I just put Images and Words on on my turntable and it amazes me how Dream Theater managed to find a vocalist who is absolutely phenomenal in the studio but has honestly never been that great live. I don't know if they just spent a mile of tape per verse in the 90s or what, but even "this is the best DT live bootleg EVER" recommendations from the Images and Words tour make me wonder why they chose James LaBrie.

DT was my first foray into prog metal and I still love them but holy Moses JLB is a studio man only. And it sucks because he's always had so much energy live and is a great frontman from that perspective but can't actually stay in tune.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hawklad posted:

The latest Ayreon and Pain of Salvation releases have left me a little disappointed. They're fine, but each felt like a step below their predecessors. What are some good new releases?
The new Obsidian Kingdom is sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvsFws8evis

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kazinsal posted:

"Rio" is definitely excellent for learning how to play bass fast and accurately without jumping headfirst into some insane prog bassery like YYZ.

I just put Images and Words on on my turntable and it amazes me how Dream Theater managed to find a vocalist who is absolutely phenomenal in the studio but has honestly never been that great live. I don't know if they just spent a mile of tape per verse in the 90s or what, but even "this is the best DT live bootleg EVER" recommendations from the Images and Words tour make me wonder why they chose James LaBrie.

DT was my first foray into prog metal and I still love them but holy Moses JLB is a studio man only. And it sucks because he's always had so much energy live and is a great frontman from that perspective but can't actually stay in tune.

He can be good live. The problem is with consistency, I would say. Even on Live at Budokan, he had some gently caress-ups, and he also can't handle them gracefully. Not everyone can be like Devin Townsend and completely crush live performances. And that's fine, considering for a huge chunk of the audience, studio albums are the only way to enjoy their music.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Kazinsal posted:

Food poisoning is a bitch.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

abske_fides posted:

Any prog songs to encourage a relatively newbie to bass to learn? Not a music newbie by all means so time signatures and such are fine, just a newbie when it comes to the bass itself.

Depending on which bands you prefer the most, I've found these to be pretty approachable (to varying degrees):

South Side of the Sky - Yes
Starship Trooper - Yes
Exiles - King Crimson
Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas
Subdivisions - Rush
Limelight - Rush
The Trees - Rush
Schism - Tool
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
Aqualung - Jethro Tull (great walking bass)

I would advise against Roundabout, personally, unless you've got good technique. At least if you want to play it exactly right.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paladinus posted:

He can be good live. The problem is with consistency, I would say. Even on Live at Budokan, he had some gently caress-ups, and he also can't handle them gracefully. Not everyone can be like Devin Townsend and completely crush live performances. And that's fine, considering for a huge chunk of the audience, studio albums are the only way to enjoy their music.

Yeah, that seems to be a bit part of it -- when he can't hit something, he doubles down on it and goes for the octave-too-high scream. I haven't seen them live since the self-titled tour but he seemed to be alright then. Much better than A Dramatic Tour of Events.

Freakie posted:

bass suggestions

I'd also throw in Rush - 2112, Part I. Overture as well. And if prog-pop is your poo poo, Genesis - Land of Confusion. Most of the bass in it is programmed but it's a good track to learn on electric bass and the bridge is a really nice melodic electric bass part on the original recording.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Buy Rick Wakeman's poo poo here

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=rick%20wakeman

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I saw DT a few years ago on the tour where they were playing all of Images and Words and I was expecting Labrie to sound like poo poo live but he was honestly A+++, I couldn't quite believe it

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Touched by the hands of God.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

He's also cleaning out some slightly less expensive stuff.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Pretty good posted:

I saw DT a few years ago on the tour where they were playing all of Images and Words and I was expecting Labrie to sound like poo poo live but he was honestly A+++, I couldn't quite believe it

That's good to hear. I just want them to come back to Vancouver. I think the last time they were here was the last time I saw them, which, according to the shirt I'm wearing, was in 2014.

Maybe next year :sigh:

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I've seen DT live a couple of times over a decade ago. I never had an issue with James' singing live. Every single member of the band probably fucks up every single night because they are humans and not robots. James gets the most heat for it because he's the lead singer.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Keytar Jordan Rudess agrees.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Keytar Jordan Rudess agrees.

Looks more like Nicholas Cage frankly

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I've only seen DT once in 2014 at Hammerstein Ballroom. They were... fine?

Idk, I couldn't really tell because that was some of the worst engineering I've heard at a show. The treble was so high that James sounded like a distorted chipmunk (I was able to somewhat discern what I was hearing after putting on some earplugs).

Also James forgot the lyrics to Lie which... LOL.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MasqueradeOverture posted:

I've only seen DT once in 2014 at Hammerstein Ballroom. They were... fine?

Idk, I couldn't really tell because that was some of the worst engineering I've heard at a show. The treble was so high that James sounded like a distorted chipmunk (I was able to somewhat discern what I was hearing after putting on some earplugs).

Also James forgot the lyrics to Lie which... LOL.

That sounds like an average live James performance!

I wish I were kidding. He's never been *great* live but he just doesn't know his limits these days and it shows :( I want to see them one last time before James' live performances become unlistenable. Last time I saw them was the self-titled tour.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

85% of his vocals were borderline unlistenable anyway, he's a living example of why technically proficient and skilled are not the same thing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

il_cornuto posted:

85% of his vocals were borderline unlistenable anyway, he's a living example of why technically proficient and skilled are not the same thing

i feel like if someone's technically proficient but their vocals are unlistenable, the problem is the song, not the singer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i feel like if someone's technically proficient but their vocals are unlistenable, the problem is the song, not the singer.

I think in this case the guy just has a voice that grates on people.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think in this case the guy just has a voice that grates on people.

I’d like dream theater a ton more if they had a different singer. And guitar player. And toned down the keyboard acrobatics. Or got a different keyboard player all together. Myung is inoffensive.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
LaBrie doesn't bug me when he's singing softly. While trying to sing with any amount of intensity though he just doesn't enunciate enough and every note hits a same loudness wall. Even sometimes when he SHOULD sing softly he belts it. (parts of Wait for Sleep for example) It sounds like he has a limiter in this throat with the gain turned way up.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Idk he sounds pretty smooth on both Images and Awake.

Post that he's a mixed bag.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Almost every vowel sound that James LaBrie sings post-Scenes from a Memory is slurred both above and below the note, and it's grating in the same way as listening to a third grader play with a theremin

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

Almost every vowel sound that James LaBrie sings post-Scenes from a Memory is slurred both above and below the note, and it's grating in the same way as listening to a third grader play with a theremin

He's the only singer I can think of that is capable of making every word start with WOAAAGH

BigFactory posted:

I’d like dream theater a ton more if they had a different singer. And guitar player. And toned down the keyboard acrobatics. Or got a different keyboard player all together. Myung is inoffensive.

Bring back Sherinian and take away all of Petrucci's seven strings.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Labrie's good in Ayreon, maybe he should just stick to rock opera.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
He's good with his solo stuff (mainly since it's tailor made to suit him).

Derailing the DT convo with some Vangelis-related poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMYILBkw2UQ

Mmm that goes hard.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

On another note:

https://youtu.be/U4F0rT0F6OQ

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Here's a good article that got me into progressive stuff a week ago. I'm a metalhead by heart, though this article is good for someone just getting into progressive rock (Like me).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.loudersound.com/amp/features/10--heaviest-prog-albums-ever-pallbearer

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 1, 2020

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I've heard Blue Öyster Cult described as "biker prog" and I think that's pretty accurate. After a nearly 20 year break from recording (but constant touring), the have a new album out.

I love this goofy-rear end video for The Alchemist, in line with all of their goofy-rear end videos from the 80's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4TFfTSUbto
There are still heavy, rock-solid riffs , lyrics based on a Lovecraft story, Eric Bloom is KILLING it on vocals for a 75 year old. Buck Dharma, as always, makes his guitar playing look effortless (love the Swiss cheese axe). Only thing missing...? More Cowbe-

Oh wait! Albert Bouchard is all over that, on That Was Me! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPW7KhN_ZM4

The third video they released from the album is a Buck-led song called Box In My Head. It's not as heavy as the other two and I get a strong mid-80s Rush vibe from it. I dig it, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQoWfQ_3txA

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's not prog at all but I wanted a break from my usual fare so I decided to see what ska had been up to in the last few decades.

Highest marks for Madness' The Liberty of Norton Folgate. Every third song or so is a complete banger.

Incidentally, I managed to find the one ska album that has a 10 minute narrative-heavy track with a string section and vaguely ethnic melodies. Just like usual.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

https://youtu.be/BzvAoC_OPZU

I wish there were more progressive songs like this one. There probably is. Any help guys? I'm talking long, creative songs, sort of fast paced with maybe a saxophone.

Spacegrass fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 6, 2020

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
One of my personal favorite albums is this one, it might suit your style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67sxLlBU27c

Otherwise, maybe some of Camel's work? Or even early King Crimson, such as Sailor's Tale.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Eloy is cool and good.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The Perfect Element remix sounds like a veil has been lifed from in front of my speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adgC9FoxLuM

LAWD

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spacegrass posted:

I wish there were more progressive songs like this one. There probably is. Any help guys? I'm talking long, creative songs, sort of fast paced with maybe a saxophone.

Keep going with VDGG. Darkness has a prominent sax.

King Crimson's Red album sounds like it'd be up your alley. That VDGG cut actually has a similar feel to me to Genesis' Selling England By the Pound album, especially Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

If you don't mind branching out into space prog, Hawkwind's Space Ritual. Brainstorm is my first suggestion.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spacegrass posted:

VDGG were a big influence on the Italian prog scene so you might look there, e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHv4jq9wtdE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0wEPL13RvU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgCC4Lhw4sA

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

None of this stuff does it for me. I've found a few gems; like 'In the Cage' by Genesis; a couple of Nectar songs and that VDGG track, but after all of this searching my favorite Genesis song is still 'Land of Confusion' and my favorite Peter Gabriel song is 'Sledgehammer'. I guess my attention span sucks or I'm just not looking hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Spacegrass posted:

None of this stuff does it for me. I've found a few gems; like 'In the Cage' by Genesis; a couple of Nectar songs and that VDGG track, but after all of this searching my favorite Genesis song is still 'Land of Confusion' and my favorite Peter Gabriel song is 'Sledgehammer'. I guess my attention span sucks or I'm just not looking hard enough.

In fairness to you, both of those songs slap, and there is nothing wrong with liking those as your favorites.