Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

mystes posted:

Each individual post as you scroll down.

i'm pretty sure discourse unironically does that and it's actually a nice feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

xtal posted:

All OAuth servers do that, and email unsubscribe links in jurisdictions where its legally required

the email unsubscribe links also have a side-effect in jurisdictions where they're not legally required, it's just not the effect it says on the tin

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

wtf the unread number on this thread just changed on me

but when you request that page again? idempotent, not pure

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

love a good semantic rest api

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Nomnom Cookie posted:

but when you request that page again? idempotent, not pure

The exact sideffect differs based on whether it is currently the last page or not, so not idempotent.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah I think the link on your control panel goes to "whatever the first unread page is".

I guess the pure REST design would be to have a GET call that doesn't update the unread count and a separate POST (maybe PATCH) that sets the first unread to whatever. The latter can also do double duty to support a "Mark all as unread" button, so it's not a totally wasted request.

More in general, there are plenty of scenarios where from the user's point of view you want to fetch some data AND update some other data as a single action. It's good CQRS design and more versatile to split those in two different API calls, but is it worth it to add a third proxy API call that simply makes those two calls in sequence?

As far as I understand it, in the age of HTTP/2 the overhead of making two HTTP requests to the same server instead of one should be negligible, so the question could be where do you want to put the dirty logic of "push $button means doing A and B" - in the client code or in the server code?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

unread posts is a derived metric, it's not surprising that get requests would increment or decrement some metric.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Xarn posted:

The exact sideffect differs based on whether it is currently the last page or not, so not idempotent.

that particular route isn't idempotent, which is pretty dumb, but if you view a thread normally--?threadid=X&userid=Y&perpage=40&pagenumber=Z--the the unread count is updated as well. that is an idempotent GET with side effect, and i thought that was how the bookmark links are formed, so really the problem here is the forums don't work that way i thought they did

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
these are the forums that had an outage from changing the copyright notice you're talkin about

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
lopmotr 23 minutes ago [–]

Organisms fill every niche on the planet. Any unusual disturbance will kill a lot of them. It doesn't matter. Why do people have this worry about anything changing ever? Nothing will go extinct. Why not be excited about the spectacular event? People are so negative and looking at the gloomy side of so much.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

HamAdams posted:

Organisms fill every niche on the planet. Any unusual disturbance will kill a lot of them. It doesn't matter. Why do people have this worry about anything changing ever? Nothing will go extinct. Why not be excited about the spectacular event? People are so negative and looking at the gloomy side of so much.

nothing will go extinct, i say in the middle of a mass extinction event

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

as long as we gots eukaryotes and prokaryotes it's all golden, baby! just gotta wait another several hundo million years and then we're back in business!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
eventually JavaScript will re-evolve

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

eventually JavaScript will re-evolve

thanks a lot now I'm sad

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

HamAdams posted:

How did this person from 1890 get on the internet?

mystes
May 31, 2006

SMS 2FA is weak, but it does two things: it shifts the attack from a passive opportunistic one to a targeted one, and, 2. in unionized environments you can add a second compliance factor without distributing new devices, "training" people to use TOTP apps, or "forcing" people to install an app on their personal devices.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have 5 auth apps on my phone :smith:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
firefox just added a new feature to allow you to block non-encrypted web requests. how are the hackers reacting?

at_a_remove 49 minutes ago [–]

Once this sort of thing is widely accepted, we'll see various blogs and websites silenced by having a certificate revoked. Not right away but soon enough.
It's a very exciting development. It's managed to use the geek "Everything has to be like this!" fanaticism to drag in a mechanism of control.
I wonder which of the Four Horsemen it will be used against first.

edit: a bit further down the page

bullen 1 hour ago [–]

Not OP but:
HTTPS is not secure because it is centralized and it does not protect against MITM.
HTTP is the foundation of our civilization, it will never go away how much certificate sellers try.
But I would go one step further and point out that HTTP can be made secure manually selectively so that you only secure the things that need security!
HTTPS wastes energy by encrypting cat pictures, and we don't have that much cheap energy left!
But don't worry this will not kill HTTP only Mozilla/Chrome. Chromium will always allow adblockers for free and HTTP, because if they remove it, I'll fork it and add it back in, even if it takes 1 day to compile!

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 17, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I bet the romans never had http! no, just clean water, sanitation, farming...

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
HTTP sucks and TLS with certificate authorities suck, but apparently if you put them together they cancel out and become good.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
hey look everyone there's a parenting thread on HN
https://medium.com/modern-parent/my-daughter-was-a-creative-genius-then-we-bought-her-an-iphone-bf617c0b6ca0
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25137202

I suppose the n-gate entry would be something about comment stream coming from smirking SF based gay couples (median income $400k) about how they've misconfigured the content blocking on their jailbroken router. Or how the daughter described in the article would be better off served with a Roblox or Minecraft subscription as a creative outlet. Also why don't kids hack on computers anymore, when I was a boy all I had was Borland Turbo Pascal not like kids today with their Tiktok Vtuber blogcasting on fleek on main in realtime.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
that's what you get for appealing to an authority like bill gates for anything lmao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Coffee Jones posted:

https://medium.com/modern-parent/my-daughter-was-a-creative-genius-then-we-bought-her-an-iphone-bf617c0b6ca0
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25137202

I suppose the n-gate entry would be something about comment stream coming from smirking SF based gay couples (median income $400k) about how they've misconfigured the content blocking on their jailbroken router. Or how the daughter described in the article would be better off served with a Roblox or Minecraft subscription as a creative outlet. Also why don't kids hack on computers anymore, when I was a boy all I had was Borland Turbo Pascal not like kids today with their Tiktok Vtuber blogcasting on fleek on main in realtime.

daughter gets home from school at 6:30pm, has no time for to be creative like she was during the summer? no poo poo. 6:30 pm means like 2+ hours of either a team sport or marching band or some such. I did not have enough hours in the evening to do my homework my junior year of high school between a terrible busy working assigning ap history teacher and marching band

that was 15 years ago and I’m sure it’s all only gotten worse since

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One day, when they're all grown up and successful, they'll be complete and utter psychopaths like Mike Bloomberg, who has more money than God and yet still feels the need to schedule 5 AM meetings with his underlings

Thanks Mom and Dad

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Coffee Jones posted:

NO.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

that's what you get for appealing to an authority like bill gates for anything lmao

yeah jfc

also if you’re really concerned, just take the phone away

but they don’t want to do that because then they’re the “bad guy”; it’s actually technologies fault for not being a better nanny and allowing them to exert perfect passive aggressive control

Also half this is just like vicarious bullshit and blaming your inability to cope with your child getting older on a phone

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 21, 2020

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
this very non-political site is currently at the top of HN: https://wtfhappenedin1971.com/ (but it's okay because it's about sound currency like bitcoin, you see)

Edit: someone managed to post an actually good comment on it:

ohyes 31 minutes ago [–]

This is clearly because 1970 is the Unix epoch when this version of the simulation began. It took about a year for things to get sufficiently out of whack so that stuff started to diverge in a noticeable way. I hope our implementors are proud of me for making reference to the simulation that we're all in.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 23, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Almost every comment in this thread about racism at coinbase is horrible: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25229544

There's one sane comment trying to call out the other comments:

quote:

Reading through the comments as black person is depressing.

Many of the comments question whether the accusations are even true or collusive attack because of an unfounded accusation that black people tend to be SJWs (stereotyping). Others blame affirmative-action, bad schools, etc. (classic misdirection). Some even venture into the possibility that a black person complaining about being passed over for promotion might just not be good enough for the job and then just blame discrimination rather than facing the truth (pure gaslighting). Others just go on to attack the New York Times (attacking the messenger). I am waiting for the data science guru to synthesize statistics about how everything is just fine!

I am not going to pretend to be the arbiter of truth here, but can we just take a moment to imagine the possibility that racism (specifically against black Americans) is a problem in America in 2020? Is it such a stretch of the imagination? I mean if we can unquestioningly believe that cryptocurrency is viable currency, we can certainly give the benefit of the doubt to the black workers who have abandoned the company.
But it has some crazy responses:

quote:

I apologize in advance because you seem to be emotionally invested in this, but I really do not understand the questions you pose in your comment. What did you actually expect from the discussion? Were there not enough comments against Coinbase? Were there not enough comments outraged about the perceived racist behavior of it? Do you think none of those commenters "imagine the possibility that racism is a problem in America in 2020"?

Let's assume that I am 100% certain of all the accusations. How many types of comments do you expect to see about this? Condemn the company, point out systemic racism doesn't just affect Coinbase but everything, offer condolences and sympathy, support efforts to reduce racism. All of these comments exist in the thread.

What if I don't believe all the accusations are true? There are multitudes of reasons why that could be the case, which reflects in the number of possibilities being commented on. By your own contention, racism is a problem in America, so you would expect at least some of the comments to be racist, or at least controversial. You seem to have focused only on the worst ones, ignoring the discussions that followed them, whether positive or negative. You've ignored all the nuanced positions or straw-manned them. You're dismissive of people's comments or concerns while simultaneously asking people to not be dismissive of your concerns. I really don't get it.

quote:

When accusations of racism are being thrown around carelessly and people are having their reputations destroyed and lives turned upside down because of a single thing they (allegedly) said, the potential future targets of these accusations realize that the stakes just became much higher for them. So why would they support and enable those that might come for their own heads next?

It's rational to be antagonistic in such a situation.
That last one really seems like it was written by a psychopath.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 28, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mystes posted:

That last one really seems like it was written by a psychopath.

it's on hn, so that's p much a given

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

quote:

It is possible for a Black person to feel discriminated against because of their race even when such discrimination has not occurred. The event mentioned in the article referring to a Black person dealing drugs and having a gun is bad, but the rest of it just sounds like normal annoying work crap. Being talked down to and belittled in a work meeting? I'm a middle-aged white programmer and that's happened to me a number of times over my career.

:eyepop:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

you yourself admit racism is rife in tech, yet act surprised when hn threads are full of racist comments? not very logical, maybe u should consider a less technically demanding career :smuggo:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
There is going to be a lot more news about other tech companies over the next few weeks

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

xtal posted:

There is going to be a lot more news about other tech companies over the next few weeks

why? it’s been dogshit for years, did something in particular happen?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A lot of companies copied or even reached out to coinbase after their post

mystes
May 31, 2006

xtal posted:

A lot of companies copied or even reached out to coinbase after their post
Clearly the solution to this type of problem is to preemptively fire any employees who aren't white straight men but have somehow miraculous made it past your discriminatory hiring process.

mystes
May 31, 2006

roenxi 3 hours ago [–]

> ... an “all star” culture, with mostly young white and Asian men.

Up until yesterday I was very confused at how a tech company could be accused of racism while simultaneously having a (presumably) vast over-representation of Asians who - to the surprise of some - are a minority.

I have since learned [0] that there are literally a large group of people who have redefined "racism" to "unequal distribution of privileges between white people and people of color".

I think it would be necessary for the NYT to be using that definition here to distinguish this from an ordinary labour dispute. I've seen non-black teams where half or more the people quit.

[0] https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art

tomp 4 minutes ago [–]

> You can be racist about other minorities even while enthusiastically supporting one minority group

How do you in your mind construct a person with this kind of mindset? Historically, a lot of "racism" or other kinds of ethnic "othering" hatred was between very similar ethnicities - e.g. Nazis and Jews, or Japanese & Chinese & Korean. Even nowadays the "racist" far factions in the US are "white supremacist", and dislike pretty much everyone across the board - Jews, blacks, lations, ...

So my prior is that it would be highly unlikely to find a non-trivial number of people who are racist against blacks yet pro Asians, let alone a whole industry (in California, a generally left-wing state!).

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
here in california, the former mexican territory now ruled over by whites and asians, we have a constitutional provision forbidding the use of race in hiring decisions, i.e. forbidding affirmative action. there was a proposition on the ballot this year to repeal this provision. over 3 million more california democratic voters came out to support joe biden in this election than they did for obama in 2012. over 2 million more for biden than hillary clinton in 2016 too. did the proposition pass? gently caress no

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

here in california, the former mexican territory now ruled over by whites and asians, we have a constitutional provision forbidding the use of race in hiring decisions, i.e. forbidding affirmative action. there was a proposition on the ballot this year to repeal this provision. over 3 million more california democratic voters came out to support joe biden in this election than they did for obama in 2012. over 2 million more for biden than hillary clinton in 2016 too. did the proposition pass? gently caress no

"forbidding the use of race in hiring decisions" sounds good from both directions so repealing it is going to require a lot of explaining

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
big yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

My child’s god given right to Go To Cal shall not be infringed