Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Hmmm... my current TV is 42”, so I’d be spending like $450 to get an additional inch in size, Alexa voice controls, and 4K?

How much higher should I set my budget if I want something that feels like more of an upgrade?

Edit— are the frames around TVs pretty standard? I wouldn’t want to buy a bigger TV to find out the frame makes it too big for the space. That’s why I gave the dimensions in width and height and not the full diagonal.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Xenomrph posted:

Hmmm... my current TV is 42”, so I’d be spending like $450 to get an additional inch in size, Alexa voice controls, and 4K?

How much higher should I set my budget if I want something that feels like more of an upgrade?

I'd look at the TCL 5 series and Hisense H8G as well — they're both cheaper and better reviewed than the Sony, and the 50" models fit your space.

Re: your edit, sites like Amazon Best Buy have the dimensions clearly spelled out under the "specifications" section

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 3, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xenomrph posted:

4k is basically standard so don't treat it as an upgrade. That's like saying "hm, $50 for a remote with this model ehhhh?" Same with the online apps and smartshit.
The real upgrade is any local dimming or HDR, which will make your games and films pop more.

My experience has been Alexa is good at turning the TV on and Off abut other than that... ehhh. I'm a fan of the TCL line with Roku Ui myself, but that's mostly because of app compatibility.

Budget wise it really depends if you just want something to Veg out on that you can grab on the cheap, or if you want something that for the next few years will be comfortable.

American McGay posted:

If my pythagorean theorem skills haven't failed they should have room for a 55".
Oh no math!

Thanks though. I just saw 46 and derped the gently caress out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

morestuff posted:

I'd look at the TCL 5 series and Hisense H8G as well — they're both cheaper and better reviewed than the Sony, and the 50" models fit your space.

Also, am I essentially looking at Black Friday prices? Or am I better off waiting until then for the best deal?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Xenomrph posted:

Also, am I essentially looking at Black Friday prices? Or am I better off waiting until then for the best deal?

Some places, like Best Buy, have already posted their Black Friday ads so you can shop around a bit. If saving $50-100 is a dealbreaker for you I'd just wait the few weeks, the TVs will still be there afterward if you strike out

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m all for saving money, I might as well wait a few weeks.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
On sets without local dimming, is there much difference in HDR performance between IPS and VA panels?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If rtings is to be believed, IPS panels consistently have an average contrast ratio of less than 1200:1 without local dimming, while VA panels without local dimming can have anywhere from 3000-7000:1.
Also VA has much better black levels, which is why they've all but replaced IPS at the premium level, LG Nanocell sets notwithstanding.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, peak highlight should be the same since that's a function of the backlight, but the higher contrast ratio of a VA panel is going to make highlights look better in general.

I would really only go IPS for stuff like signage or at a bar where off axis view is going to be primary use case.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

FilthyImp posted:

My experience has been Alexa is good at turning the TV on and Off abut other than that... ehhh.

I'm pretty committed to Google, but the point still stands, pausing playback by voice is something that I find low key life changing. My husband barely tolerates all the tech our house is filled with but he even uses it all the time.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I just moved into a new place and there’s a tv mounting bracket already screwed into the wall (image in link).

Is there a way to check that my TV would sit on there safely? Also can I screw in any flat mount bracket to the TV and have it work without needing to reinstall the wall mounted part?

I only have a 55” LED TV so i can’t imagine it’d be too heavy given there’s 8 screws holding it up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/4WsDbFv

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Fists Up posted:

I just moved into a new place and there’s a tv mounting bracket already screwed into the wall (image in link).

Is there a way to check that my TV would sit on there safely? Also can I screw in any flat mount bracket to the TV and have it work without needing to reinstall the wall mounted part?

I only have a 55” LED TV so i can’t imagine it’d be too heavy given there’s 8 screws holding it up.

Grab onto the mount with Your hands (wearing gloves, silly) and try to do a pull-up (put your weight on it). If it comes off, be glad it wasn’t your TV just now. If it’s solid, well, do you weight more or less than your new TV? If you weigh more you are good to go!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fists Up posted:

8 screws doesn't mean much if they aren't in studs. You can see at the very least that the 4 on the outside are not. I'd suggest you do what previous poster said and try to test the limits of the mount

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Studfinder will tell you if it's installed right.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Studfinder will tell you if it's installed right.

That will only tell you where the studs are. Get ‘er a good tug and see what she’s made of.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Gave it a really good pull. It’s definitely on there solid and i put way more weight than what my TV weighs.

So should any flat mount kit fit? I understand they’re all standard size as far as the part that actual clips on to the wall?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ultimate Mango posted:

That will only tell you where the studs are. Get ‘er a good tug and see what she’s made of.

He meant you'll be able to clearly see if it's screwed into a stud.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BuyDig has the 55" BX for $1,297 plus $75 in Visa gift cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pulled the trigger on the CX 77'. It's coming the same day as my PS5.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You're gonna have a great time, I've been absolutely loving my big ol CX so far. Can't wait for the PS5 either, so stoked

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Did they ever start doing more preorders after that first disaster?

I figure I’m months away from replacing the 55” Panasonic plasma with a 65” CX, new receiver (4K capable), and new console (or two).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Did they ever start doing more preorders after that first disaster?

I figure I’m months away from replacing the 55” Panasonic plasma with a 65” CX, new receiver (4K capable), and new console (or two).

I got my preorder the first day so not sure.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was gonna try my luck at midnight at a brick and mortar but apparently they're not offering any at physical stores on launch. Which I guess is a good thing because you want to avoid big crowds and stuff but it's still pretty weird. It used to be a surefire way to avoid the scalpers but if everything has to be pre-ordered online then you're just at the mercy of the bots.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Was thinking about getting this 65” Samsung -

SAMSUNG 65-inch Class QLED Q80T Series - 4K UHD Direct Full Array 12X Quantum HDR 12X Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN65Q80TAFXZA, 2020 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0845ZSMWS/

I saw it at Costco for about $1,700 and Amazon is about $200 less. Anything I should be concerned about here, or be going in another direction? I’d like to get something before my PS5 gets here.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

SAMSUNG 65-inch Class QLED Q80T Series - 4K UHD Direct Full Array 12X Quantum HDR 12X Smart TV with Alexa Built-in (QN65Q80TAFXZA, 2020 Model) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0845ZSMWS/

I saw it at Costco for about $1,700 and Amazon is about $200 less. Anything I should be concerned about here, or be going in another direction? I’d like to get something before my PS5 gets here.

Friends don't let friends buy QLED when you are almost at OLED money.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

This is the TV everyone recommends here and is generally considered one of the best around:

LG 65" Class - CX Series - 4K UHD OLED TV

Costco has it for only $150 more then that QLED.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Friends don't let friends but Samsung TVs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Has anyone ever seen one of the Vava short throw projectors in real life? I think it was down to $2300 a few weeks ago, so I'm guessing it will be like that for Black Friday. Just not sure if it really works as well as the reviews seem to indicate.

https://www.amazon.com/VAVA-Theatre-Projector-Lumens-Android/dp/B07XGM6YGQ

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

American McGay posted:

Friends don't let friends but Samsung TVs.

I bought the LG and it's awesome but I just found out that Samsungs have Steam Link built-in and that makes me very jealous.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hikaki posted:

I bought the LG and it's awesome but I just found out that Samsungs have Steam Link built-in and that makes me very jealous.

For what it’s worth, my LG B9 OLED had such a lovely connection compared to my Apple TV so I just completely disabled the internet connection on the B9 and use my Apple TV instead. It’s not as noticeable with Netflix and poo poo but I’d imagine Steamlink would be intolerable. It could also have been that the processor was poo poo now that I think about it. Oh well!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The Grey posted:

This is the TV everyone recommends here and is generally considered one of the best around:

LG 65" Class - CX Series - 4K UHD OLED TV

Costco has it for only $150 more then that QLED.

Thanks, I went ahead and grabbed this one.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

jokes posted:

For what it’s worth, my LG B9 OLED had such a lovely connection compared to my Apple TV so I just completely disabled the internet connection on the B9 and use my Apple TV instead. It’s not as noticeable with Netflix and poo poo but I’d imagine Steamlink would be intolerable. It could also have been that the processor was poo poo now that I think about it. Oh well!

I did the same thing last night setting up my CX. Why would I connect the TV to WiFi when I have a Apple TV 4K?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Island Nation posted:

I did the same thing last night setting up my CX. Why would I connect the TV to WiFi when I have a Apple TV 4K?

It's infuriating that they saved maybe $2 in BOM cost by putting a loving 10/100 PHY in the CX when the SoC almost loving certainly has a gigabit MAC in it. You were probably talking about WiFi, which I never really had any issues with (granted the AP was like 5 feet away), but now that I finished running Ethernet, plugged the TV and my ATV 4K in so I never have to think about bandwidth again.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I spent way too long trying to parse all the acronyms in that post

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

movax posted:

It's infuriating that they saved maybe $2 in BOM cost by putting a loving 10/100 PHY in the CX when the SoC almost loving certainly has a gigabit MAC in it. You were probably talking about WiFi, which I never really had any issues with (granted the AP was like 5 feet away), but now that I finished running Ethernet, plugged the TV and my ATV 4K in so I never have to think about bandwidth again.

I had primarily thought of how the TV phones home when using its smart TV features to spy on the user but you bring up another good point. The CX did lop off 12 bit color and DTS to save on cost so using a crappier Ethernet port would be on spec too.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I still love my C9 but I'm not thrilled with the news that the VRR issues are not fixable.

Seems like a solid implementation of anything other than 4K@120 will be a ways off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone know a good sleeve system to mange cables inside the wall? When i first had this done it was kind of shoddy and I want to clean up my set up a bit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Anyone know a good sleeve system to mange cables inside the wall? When i first had this done it was kind of shoddy and I want to clean up my set up a bit.

I haven't used this one but it has good reviews on Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-In-Wall-Power-Cord-and-Cable-Kit-A32-KW/304502792

I just installed this kit over the weekend and it worked out fine. Doesn't come with a tube or track though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWGZGQ4/

I had to feed it through an exterior wall cavity and deal with insulation but it was pretty easy with some fishing line. Just make sure you buy high quality cables that are long enough so you don't have to run them again.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco will have a Sony X90CH (their version of X900) on sale 11/20 - 11/30.
85" for $2k, 75" for $1600. No word if 65" will be on sale but if so it would likely be $1k.
Comes with 5 year mfg warranty, 7 years if you use Costco Visa card.

I just returned the 75" I got and mounted the 85", those extra 10" were the right move, this thing is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

85 inches is a pretty good bedroom tv.