Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You can't really go wrong with anything from the 'Hip, as far as I'm concerned. My suggestions in order from (personal) first choice would be Fully Completely, Road Apples, or Trouble at the Henhouse simply because I can probably sing along to every track on those albums even though I didn't get into the 'Hip until fairly recently. Just diffusion from being a Canadian, their songs were unavoidable in the 90's (when I was in high school and thus imprinting on music).

If you need just one album, the compilation Yer Favourites will distill those three albums plus a few other great songs into 2 CDs. It's telling regarding the esteem the Tragically Hip are held in Canada that that album went platinum in Canada for the second time as soon as Gord Downie died.

wikipedia posted:

Following the Tragically Hip's final concert of their Man Machine Poem Tour, which was broadcast live on CBC and watched by 11.7 million people, the compilation reached number 1 on the Canadian Albums Chart. It returned to the Canadian charts again in October 2017 following Downie's death, immediately rising from #182 to #2.

Gord Downie's final solo project, Away is Mine was jus released last Friday (16 October). If you want to be a hipster about it (as opposed to a 'Hipster, I guess, if that's a term anyone uses), you could just get that album and talk down your nose at people about emotion in songwriting. Or something.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've never heard any Barenaked ladies songs other than 90s anthem - One Week and a live version of "if i had a million dollars" What am i missing?
Seconding Gordon and Stunt. There are other good songs there and the studio version of "If I had a million dollars" is worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Most important Hip album is Up To Here - every Canadian can sing it from memory, and probably will if they're drunk. Best album is Fully Completely, great driving music, really brooding cinematic feel. From there I'd go forward chronologically through Phantom Power, Music @ Work, and In Violet Light which all have a similar dark modern rock feel, but the singles are the most important if you don't want to get bogged down. Next I'd go back to the old classics, Day For Night, and Trouble at the Henhouse. Anything after 2004 isn't really essential, but In Between Evolution is the strongest of their late period in my opinion.

If you want to get a bit of a quick overview I'd suggest New Orleans Is Sinking, Ahead by a Century, Fully Completely, Grace Too, Poets, and The Darkest One.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 21, 2020

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I've got Yer Favourites, which is a great compilation. I also have World Container which I really like but I don't know if that's a common opinion or not.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

IUG posted:

So this is more of a "should I continue with?", but is Sting's stuff looking at if you have all The Police albums? I'm going to assume no though, but haven't ever checked out any of his stuff. I just assumed it was much different from The Police stuff.
Rewinding this, where should I start with The Police?

Long ago a friend gave me a pile of mp3s from a Greatest Hits compilation (I think 4 CDs) but a) I'd rather own legitimate music and throw some coin at an artist (or their legally appointed representative / agent / inheritor) and b) I lost most of those files some time ago. The only song I still have is Hole in My Life, is the album that song is from a decent entry point?

Also, I liked some of Sting's solo stuff when it would come on the radio or in a cafe or whatever, I guess I'll do a little exploring there, too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Rewinding this, where should I start with The Police?

Long ago a friend gave me a pile of mp3s from a Greatest Hits compilation (I think 4 CDs) but a) I'd rather own legitimate music and throw some coin at an artist (or their legally appointed representative / agent / inheritor) and b) I lost most of those files some time ago. The only song I still have is Hole in My Life, is the album that song is from a decent entry point?

Also, I liked some of Sting's solo stuff when it would come on the radio or in a cafe or whatever, I guess I'll do a little exploring there, too.

They only have 5 studio albums, and the first one is the best for my money (Outlandos D’amour). There was also a pretty good 2 disc live album that came out in the 90s.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ExecuDork posted:

"Ten Summoner's Tales" is generally regarded as his best work.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

"hole in my life" comes from outlandos d'amour so good news, that's probably the one you should start with

the police have about 10 gigantic hits, and each studio album has about two of them on them so really you can start with any of them (although i wouldn't recommend starting with synchronicity)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Romantics? I like "What I Like About You" and "Talking In Your Sleep".

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

BigFactory posted:

They only have 5 studio albums, and the first one is the best for my money (Outlandos D’amour). There was also a pretty good 2 disc live album that came out in the 90s.

The live album is worth every second of a listen. As to studio albums, yes, they're all pretty good, but I prefer Reggata de Blanc for openers, if for no other reason than Bring On the Night, which is a song that inexplicably refuses to leave my head for any reason.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the thing with police records is that every record has some of the group's best, biggest-selling singles and yet, every album has one absolute dud of a song.

you may not agree with me as to which song is the dud sometimes, but you will probably agree that there is always one total stinker. and the worst ones are andy summers' fault.

ODA: Be My Girl - Sally
RDB: Does Everyone Stare
ZM: Voices Inside My Head (I actually kinda like Behind My Camel, sue me)
GITM: One World
S: Mother

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Culture Club? I know "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" and "Karma Chameleon" but other than that, nothing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not sure that you're really missing out on much, but their other big hits were "I'll Tumble 4 Ya", "Church of the Poison Mind", and "Time (Clock of the Heart)".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ill tumble 4 ya is a very boring song but its ok because Move Away is a classic.

Bonus point for the cover of The Crying Game(r)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Where to start with outlaw country?

I like a bunch of Steve Earle songs but he's apparently released around 50 albums lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

evilpicard posted:

Where to start with outlaw country?

I like a bunch of Steve Earle songs but he's apparently released around 50 albums lol

Willie and Waylon?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Willie, Waylon, and Merle

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Willie has like over 100 albums so I'm not sure that's helping evilpicard's problem lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Henchman of Santa posted:

Willie has like over 100 albums so I'm not sure that's helping evilpicard's problem lol

Teatro’s the best, but I wouldn’t call it outlaw country. But everyone should listen to it anyways. Shotgun Willie and Redheaded Stranger are more outlaw/armadillo and both great. Willie and Waylon did a couple of albums together, too (Pancho and Lefty, and Waylon & Willie).

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Some random outlaw stuff to dig into. Researching these names will take you into the major singers.

David Allan Coe - You Never Even Called me by my Name
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAOVRkSCWmg

Willie and Waylon - I Can Get Off On You (great song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLyg2scuZMo

Kris Kristofferson - If You Don't Like Hank Williams
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1gsqSFHE4

Merle Haggard - Swinging Doors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHXispgbb84

And if you want something modern, Zephaniah Ohora is producing legit classic country. This album came out this summer but it sounds like it came from the 1970s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wkoC0Lud58

And while it's not outlaw, don't sleep on the hippy country - The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 6, 2020

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

You might dig into Townes Van Zandt. He was an early player in that scene. Check out the Heartworn Highway documentary.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

me your dad posted:

And while it's not outlaw, don't sleep on the hippy country - The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons.

If you sleep on this I will hunt you for sport.

Also in the Outlaw side, add the recently departed Jerry Jeff Walker, Guy Clark, Billy Joe Shaver, Joe Ely, and Johnny loving Cash.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Colter Wall is a great modern Outlaw Country musician too

EDIT: Blaze Foley as well, though he's not modern and has passed away :(

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lol yeah, rough count from Willie, Waylon, Merle and Cash is somewhere around 600 albums. But I'm really enjoying some of the suggestions in the thread, thanks guys.

Johnny cash released albums in 6 decades following his greatest hits...

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

me your dad posted:

David Allan Coe - You Never Even Called me by my Name
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAOVRkSCWmg

47 years into life, hearing this countless times at goodness knows how many honey tonks, I have never gotten sick of this song.

Too bad he’s such a controversial shitheel and probable racist. Yes a lot of really racist songs were misattributed to him, but he did in fact, release a track called N****r Fucker.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

XBenedict posted:

47 years into life, hearing this countless times at goodness knows how many honey tonks, I have never gotten sick of this song.

Too bad he’s such a controversial shitheel and probable racist. Yes a lot of really racist songs were misattributed to him, but he did in fact, release a track called N****r Fucker.

Yeah, his racist and sexist songs were the first thing I ever heard from him, in high school and it didn't interest me one bit. I dismissed him back then and didn't pay him any attention, thinking that's what his catalog was like. It wasn't until less than a decade ago that I heard some actual good songs from him. I didn't intend to condone any of his abhorrent poo poo by posting this song.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Kvlt! posted:

Colter Wall is a great modern Outlaw Country musician too

Colter Wall is goddam fantastic. I saw him live at a little music festival years ago, he was a tweener on the corner of the stage for long enough for 3 songs. Not many Canadian 21-year-olds can sound like a worn-out 60-year-old while singing a song about meeting the devil in Georgia and getting a crowd of a few hundred hippies clapping along.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Yo La Tengo?

I heard the song The Ballad of Red Buckets today and really liked it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDIJDD8FLNY

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know if it's where you should start but the track names on Strange but True are absolutely amazing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm wondering about stereolab, myself. I keep running into people who love them, and my ADD brain (which will instantly confuse and conflate bands and artists if they share even a single letter in the right place*) keeps filing them under spiritualized, which I know is wrong.

* other artists my brain will constantly cross-reference and pull out the wrong one when when I'm trying to think of one or the other:
Hot Water Music/Hot Hot Heat, Spandau Ballet/Simply Red, The Mar-Keys/The Bar-Kays, The Postal Service/Interpol, The Orb/Orbital, Chemical Brothers/Crystal Method, Corey Haim/Corey Hart, Gerry and the Pacemakers/Herman's Hermits, Cock Sparrer/Cockney Rejects, Therapy?/Helmet (this is the least explicable one), Discharge/D.R.I., Sharon Van Etten/Greta Van Fleet (they both have "van" in the name), Carly Rae Jepsen/Lana Del Rey (they both have "ray" in the name), Overkill/Exodus (I don't even know why)

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

me your dad posted:

Yo La Tengo?
Start with Painful and go chronologically

hexwren posted:

I'm wondering about stereolab, myself.
Transient Random Noise-Bursts and the two Switched On compilations

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 11, 2020

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Voodoofly posted:

Painful and I can Hear the Heart Beating as One. Painful is my favorite album by them, its fairly bleak with a lot of organ, but I love the overall mood and sound (Sudden Organ and Nowhere Near are two of my favorite Yo la Tengo songs). ICHTHBAO has more recognizable radio songs (Sugarcube, Autumn Sweater) and is more upbeat - most people usually list it as the best Yo la Tengo album.

They have other good albums, and some other lackluster albums (actually the Shaker EP is one of my favorites just for the Richard and Linda Thompson cover), but definitely start with those two.

For Yo La Tengo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Voodoofly posted:

For Yo La Tengo

SpiritualDeath posted:

Start with Painful and go chronologically

This is solid advice, but I personally really like Ride The Tiger as well.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thank you all. I'll dig into it tomorrow.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Yo La Tengo: I'm a huge fan of President, May I Sing With Me, Electr-O-Pura, I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your rear end, and the previously mentioned Painful and I Can Hear The Heart. Oh yeah, and Fakebook.

Stereolab: really, really into Mars Audiac Quintet and Emperor Tomato Ketchup.

Wilbur Swain fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 12, 2020

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

hexwren posted:

I'm wondering about stereolab, myself. I keep running into people who love them, and my ADD brain (which will instantly confuse and conflate bands and artists if they share even a single letter in the right place*) keeps filing them under spiritualized, which I know is wrong.

I'm no expert on Stereolab, but I've had Emperor Tomato Ketchup on my dog-walking playlist for years. I could do with recommendations to go further with them.

For me, I need more stuff like Gojira: heavy, complex drums, lyrically not shock-oriented and preferably half-intelligent. Rivers of Nihil is close.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
There's a great Yo La Tengo compilation called Prisoners Of Love - have a listen, see when floats your boat, and then pull out those albums. I really like And then Nothing... but it's got a very different sound to a lot of YLT.

With Stereolab, Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements and the followup Mars Audiac Quintet albums are a great place to start, and if you like those, slide into Emperor Tomato Ketchup. I realise this is just me recommending their first three major-label albums, but they are good.

Edit - thanks to the Pitchfork Media review, I've been listening to The Grateful Dead a lot this week, but just the 50th Anny release of American Beauty. Is that enough? The anniversary release came with two discs of live noodles which did nothing for me at all, but I'm enjoying the studio album. Should I go further? Or stop here?

Teach fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 12, 2020

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stop now because the Dead are a rabbit hole you may not want to go down...........

First try Workingman's Dead, Wake of the Flood, Blues for Allah. Wake of the Flood had 1 dud track the rest are classics.

If you like those three then the solo albums from that period:

Bob Weir's Ace has a bunch of Dead standards on it. Garcia's Garcia is an honest to God solo effort but has some really great jams that become dead standards.

From the Mars Hotel is more like Wake of the Flood but not as good. But has some bangers on it.

If you wanna try Terrapin Station, that has some Jams Too but a bit more garbage. Title track is great.

Going the other way towards the Psychedelic: Axomoaxa has some jams but some garbage and Anthem of the Sun is a classic but its very Psychedelic and not so countryish.

First Live Album should be Europe 72. If you like the Psychedelic Blues Rock stuff then Live/Dead.

If you like any album especially check out a corresponding live release from that tour.

Any albums post Terrapin are trash and only enjoyed ironically, but they had an actual hit single with Touch of Grey and its a total bop. I like Go To Heaven because its ridiculously slick and kinda garbage. And Althea is great.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

You know what, that's the perfect response to let me know that the trapdoor marked The Grateful Dead is possibly best left unopened! I really appreciate you taking the time to post that!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I would say at least give Workingman's Dead a spin - WD and American Beauty are sonically similar and were cut just months apart, they're practically a double-album together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Can’t really go wrong with Europe 72. One From The Vault is good too if you’re sticking to official, pre-Dick’s Picks releases.